Identified! IN - Morocco, 'Charlene Doe' 499UFIN, 25-45, in Willow Slough, Aug'88 - Jenifer Noreen Denton

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This discussion comes from the Adam and Brad Doe thread, regarding a third Newton County UID, to whom they refer as "Charlene".

According to S. McCord, there are only three UID's in Newton County. All three are listed in NamUs, and if you run a NamUs screen based only on Newton County IN, these are the only cases that come up. As I understand it, Adam and Brad are Eyler victims and Charlene is not.

If there is a third male Eyler victim found in Newton County, he is not listed in NamUs.

ETA - I'll send an e-mail to S McCord to request clarification.

I had asked Scott McCord about the third victim, and he replied that it was a "a girl who was found in 1988", who he refers to as Charlene Doe. He says that she is in NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/cases/6107

I don't think that she is related to the Eyler case.

DoeNet opened a new casefile for "Charlene" Doe, so I will start a thread for her.

The Doe Network:
Case File 499UFIN
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/499ufin.html
NamUs UP Case 6107 https://identifyus.org/cases/6107

499UFIN.JPG

Reconstruction of Victim by Betsy Cooper

Unidentified Black Female

* The victim was discovered on August 5, 1988 in Morocco, Newton County, Indiana
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 25-45 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair. Osteochondritis on rim of glenoid fossa of right scapula; spina bifida present in T11 and T12 (unlikely these conditions were clinically significant, but could be observed on x-rays). Unique frontal sinus pattern that may be comparable to available antemortem x-rays. Anomaly of C1-C2 joint, antemortem cervical spine films may show this.
* Clothing: Jordache brand jeans.
* Dentals: Available
* DNA: Pending

it is not clear when LE thought the UID died, although Namus says 1988. I think it's more common to see a range when dealing with a skeleton.

here is a possible match, Patricia Tigner, missing from Champaigne, IL in Sept 1981. she was 5'6" and would have been 42 in 1988, so we have race, gender, height and age all good. Patricia was last seen at a motel and her fingerprints were on file. (enough said)

Champaigne is about 90 miles from Morocco, IN so the distance is not bad either.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7128/15/

Found a February 24th 2011 article on "Charlene Doe". They mention here that Charlene's body was found underneath that of Selassie Sherrod who was only reported missing in July of 1988 so I think she did die in 1988 also. Sherrod was shot, car tires were piled on both of them and set on fire. Interestingly, they believe she is from suburban Chicago and that a forensic pathologist narrowed the age down to 20-30, according to the article here - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hXprSVEOmlIJ:beta.jconline.com/article/20110224/NEWS/102240328+Investigators+hope+this+is+year+to+get+identity+of+third+body+By+SOPHIA+VORAVONG+MOROCCO+--+On+Aug.+5,+1988,+a+fisherman+at+Beaver+Creek+in+the+state-&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.co.uk

(Apologies for the Google Cache version, but the original appears to have been moved)

I wonder if Jannette Johnson has been considered as a match? She's not on the rule out list.

Jannette was last seen in Kankakee, IL, which is less than an hour from Morocco, IN. The only thing is that Jannette went missing in 1985 and Charlene Doe has a probably year of death of 1988.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1985 IL JohnsonJannette.png
    1985 IL JohnsonJannette.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 103
I heard back from Amy Dobbs:

A review of the DNA indicates that both have STR and mito profiles available. So far CODIS has not reported back any association between the two samples.

Between the location where Jeanette went missing, the similar hair length and ear size, and the matching height, I thought it made perfect sense. I read a Chicago Tribune article about how the male body was identified as Selassie Sherrod, Jr. Selassie was a trucker based out of Joliet but his mother and father lived in St. Anne, IL, 15 minutes from Kankakee, IL where Jeanette went missing, and Selassie's van was found abandoned in a rural area of Kankakee County.

There are even more articles about this Jane Doe here: http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/ar/t52587.htm

One of them talks about how even though Selassie was married, he still had a number of girlfriends and was known to be involved in criminal activities.

Updated rule-out list:

Sylvia McElroy 1987
St Louis City (MI) Jane (?)
Jannette Johnson 1985
Sandra Powell 1987
Jeffrey Smith 1985
Kelly Harris 1984
Shaunda Green 1983
Sheraun Cole 1983
Margaret Dash 1974
Hattie Burton 1988
Gladys Williams 1970
Lisa Lambert 1979

Original
Original
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The Doe Network: Case File 2128DFMA
Christina M. Monteiro
Missing since June 7, 1988 from New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts

• Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    • Height and Weight: 63-65 inches; 110 lbs
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black/African American female. Dark brown hair; brown eyes.
    • Clothing: Blue jeans and shirt. Sneakers.
    • Scars: Needle marks on both arms. Scars on both wrists. Scar on left eye.
    • Tattoos: On arms; initials and words.
    • Dentals: Information/charting is available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Monteiro family last heard from her in May 1988. Foul play is suspected. Her disappearance is thought to be linked to the homicides of 10 other women who's bodies were dumped along highways in the New Bedford area in the late 1980's, and the disappearance of Marilyn Roberts.

Victims were found along or near ramps for Interstate 195 and Route 140 and Route 88 in Freetown, Marion, Westport, and Dartmouth. The women had substance abuse issues and some had turned to prostitution to support their drug habits. The first body was found July 3, 1988; the last was found April 24, 1989.

##

I can't help but wonder whether Christina knew and was last with any one by the name of Tony, with whom this UID was located. Have LE ever released any info on Tony? Who was he, where did he live, work, play,etc.? What are the circumstances surrounding his death? Knowing this and more could lead to this UID's identity (Imo).

There are some discrepancies between Christina and "Charlene" but their physical resemblance and dates have me intrigued about their cases. My little amateur Internet searches didn't find any additional info on any of these three cases. I know the locations are quite far from one another, but addicts prostituting themselves (as may be the case with Christina) have been known to travel. I'd like to see a comparison before I do too much speculating but IMO it's possible Christina could have met with foul play in MA and ended up dead in IN. Unfortunately, I've read of stranger things than that happening.

GUN VICTIM IS IDENTIFIED 1 YEAR LATER

Oh my, I found this about "Tony" aka Selassie Sherrod. I'm more convinced now that this could be Christina's remains found with Sherrod's. I've snipped just a tiny bit from the article but there''s much more.

##
he had been shotgunned to death. His body, along with that of a still-unidentified woman, was found dumped in an Indiana wildlife preserve last August.

SNIP

"Every time the phone rings or a truck goes by, we`d think maybe that`s Tony,'' Dorothy Sherrod said of her 31-year-old son, a truck driver.

SNIP

Sherrod`s job took him away from home for extended periods.

SNIP

Sherrod, a native of Chicago, was last heard from on July 4, 1988, when he telephoned his father from somewhere on the road.

''He said he loved me and would be home soon,'' the father said.

Two days later, on July 6, police found the son`s van abandoned in a rural area of Kankakee County, about three miles from the slough, Buehrle said. It was not until Aug. 5-6 that the bodies were found, however.

##

Christina was reported missing on July 1st, 1988. Perhaps he met her in MA, invited her to travel home with him because maybe he knew he'd be making a return trip with a load back to MA. While home with family he could have offered or paid to get her a room for a couple of days. Who knows? It's just my own personal speculation. Once in IN/IL Tony was targeted by some of the folks discussed in the linked article and he and Christina were then murdered.

Back in the 20's and 30's - this was a VERY popular place to dump victims of Chicago mob-related crimes according to local family.

You've just said what I read. Wow...this is a complicated case isn't it? Ty for that info.

EBM-punctuation.

In my post above I wrote "Christina was reported missing on July 1st, 1988." I had to double check myself after reading back through all of this so I'm posting here a discrepancy I found.

Both NamUs and Doe lists Christina's date of last contact as June 7, 1988. The Charley Project profile has July 1, 1988 as her missing date.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
NamUs #MP7827
Christina M. Monteiro,
Female, Black / African American
Date of Last Contact June 7, 1988
Missing FromNew Bedford, Massachusetts

The Doe Network: Case File 2128DFMA
Christina M. Monteiro
Missing since June 7, 1988
from New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts

Christina M. Monteiro – The Charley Project
Christina M. Monteiro
Missing Since 07/01/1988
Missing FromNew Bedford, Massachusetts

Here's an explanation for "Charlene's" name from Newton County, Ind., Coroner Scott McCord to Brian Stanley bstanley@stmedianetwork.com in an article.

INF880805. (msg. #4).
#

When I picked up the bag to throw it in the trash, I realized there were skeletal remains inside,” he said.

The boxes contained the bones of two unidentified victims of serial killer Larry Eyler. Killed in 1983, the men’s remains were labeled “A” and “B”.

The bag contained remain’s labeled “C”: a woman found Aug. 5, 1988.

After moving the remains into appropriate containers, McCord began researching the cases.

But he couldn’t leave the victims without names, even if their true identities weren’t known. The woman became Charlene, to match the C on her bag, and male remains labeled A and B became Adam and Brad.

#

Just wanted to mention, I went to Willow Slough once when I was living in a Chicago suburb. It’s a popular place for fishing and a guy I was dating at the time took me there.

Even in broad daylight it was a scary place. I have hiked in many areas off the beaten path, lots of desolate places, and never felt worried for my safety like I did in Willow Slough. It wasn’t until years later that I learned the history of the place.

And another thing, I knew two members of Selassie Sherrod’s family through work, when I was working in Kankakee and Joliet Illinois. Small world.

Sorry that this is off topic. I just saw Willow Slough in the thread title and wanted to comment on the place.

Last edited:
The close top match is even more amazing considering she's African American. Most of the other African Americans have very poor matches, and actually other than her top match, she also has very poor matches with only 2 over 40cm.

Though, with a match that high, I'd have thought she would have been identified by now. There could be endogamy going on, or NPEs.

The close top match is even more amazing considering she's African American. Most of the other African Americans have very poor matches, and actually other than her top match, she also has very poor matches with only 2 over 40cm.

Though, with a match that high, I'd have thought she would have been identified by now. There could be endogamy going on, or NPEs.
DDP mentioned on their page that there are more than a few cases solved, but still pending confirmation or announcement. I wonder if this is one of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back