Found Deceased IN - Richard Garcia, 46, of Chicago IL, leaving work at FedEx, Hammond, 15 Mar 2023

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1679235364061.png

Police in Hammond, Indiana, are asking for help to locate a missing South Chicago man last seen leaving work at a FedEx facility Wednesday, authorities said.

Richard E. Garcia is 46 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 155 pounds. Family told NBC 5 Garcia has a driver who typically picks him up and drops him off at work. Garcia was seen leaving work Wednesday afternoon and last communicated with another person over text between 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night. One relative said they wonder if something happened to Garcia while he was waiting for his ride Thursday morning, possibly around 3:30 to 4:30 a.m.

Garcia was last seen wearing a gray and orange FedEx jacket, a gray hoodie and jeans along with a gray and orange FedEx hat. Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to call the Hammond Police Department at 219-852-2906.

It sounds like he lives in South Chicago IL and works at FedEx in Hammond IN. He has a driver to and from work and leaves for work around 3:30 - 4:30 am. Does he car pool to work with a co-worker or with a ride share service? Do other people typically share the ride, or is it just him and the driver? I'm wondering this, because it says he was last seen leaving work, but if the driver gave him a ride home, wouldn't he have been last seen when he was dropped off in South Chicago? He was apparently first noticed to be missing when he wasn't present for his morning pick-up on March 15.

View attachment 409924

Police in Hammond, Indiana, are asking for help to locate a missing South Chicago man last seen leaving work at a FedEx facility Wednesday, authorities said.

Richard E. Garcia is 46 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 155 pounds. Family told NBC 5 Garcia has a driver who typically picks him up and drops him off at work. Garcia was seen leaving work Wednesday afternoon and last communicated with another person over text between 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Wednesday night. One relative said they wonder if something happened to Garcia while he was waiting for his ride Thursday morning, possibly around 3:30 to 4:30 a.m.

Garcia was last seen wearing a gray and orange FedEx jacket, a gray hoodie and jeans along with a gray and orange FedEx hat. Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to call the Hammond Police Department at 219-852-2906.

It sounds like he lives in South Chicago IL and works at FedEx in Hammond IN. He has a driver to and from work and leaves for work around 3:30 - 4:30 am. Does he car pool to work with a co-worker or with a ride share service? Do other people typically share the ride, or is it just him and the driver? I'm wondering this, because it says he was last seen leaving work, but if the driver gave him a ride home, wouldn't he have been last seen when he was dropped off in South Chicago? He was apparently first noticed to be missing when he wasn't present for his morning pick-up on March 15.
Good questions. We need more info. What were his shift hours?
From what I could find, FedEx workers at that facility usually do a 6 hour shift. If he’s leaving home between 3:30 and 4:30 maybe he works 5-11:00 or 6-12:00?
If his driver dropped him off at home, wouldn’t he have been the last person to see him? Or, is LE trying to see if someone other than his driver reported seeing him after he left work? There were probably cameras at the FedEx facility that picked RG up as he left work. Could they tell if he left with his driver? Who did he text between 10:30 and 11:30 that night? That is awfully late to be texting if you are leaving for work in a few hours. Does LE know yet the location of the phone when he was texting? Do they know the location of the phone now?

Are there any social service orgs that will drop someone off at work? Not trying to make any implications about Richard, just speculating.
I was wondering the same thing. Does he have a disability that may make him vulnerable? Some companies do run employee shuttles, but these are usually vans or mini buses carrying a few passengers at least. That makes it cost efficient for the company and convenient for employees. The way the report is worded it sounded more like a private ride. It could be a handicapped equipped van.

I was wondering the same thing. Does he have a disability that may make him vulnerable? Some companies do run employee shuttles, but these are usually vans or mini buses carrying a few passengers at least. That makes it cost efficient for the company and convenient for employees. The way the report is worded it sounded more like a private ride. It could be a handicapped equipped van.
It strongly depends on the job he works at FedEx, of course, but a private driver could really cut into his pay. So it just makes sense that perhaps it's provided by an organization.

It strongly depends on the job he works at FedEx, of course, but a private driver could really cut into his pay. So it just makes sense that perhaps it's provided by an organization.
Oh, yes. Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean he hired a private driver, just that his ride sounded like he might be the only passenger. There are a variety of organizations that provide rides to work for people for any number of reasons.

Oh, yes. Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I didn’t mean he hired a private driver, just that his ride sounded like he might be the only passenger. There are a variety of organizations that provide rides to work for people for any number of reasons.
No, I'm sorry, I was agreeing with you and just adding a supporting thought I had!

Another thing -- I was thinking about the driver dropping him off at home, but it wasn't said that the driver picked him up and left him off at home. If his ride is a company shuttle -- or even a ride share -- it wouldn't give door to door service, there would be a pick-up/drop-off location. His family thinks that something might have happened to him in the morning while he was waiting for the driver, but it wasn't said if he was waiting at home or at a pick-up point. It does seem that by saying "driver" rather than "shuttle" that it is probably a private arrangement.

Another thing -- I was thinking about the driver dropping him off at home, but it wasn't said that the driver picked him up and left him off at home. If his ride is a company shuttle -- or even a ride share -- it wouldn't give door to door service, there would be a pick-up/drop-off location. His family thinks that something might have happened to him in the morning while he was waiting for the driver, but it wasn't said if he was waiting at home or at a pick-up point. It does seem that by saying "driver" rather than "shuttle" that it is probably a private arrangement.
A lot of companies will pick up a group of employees at a central location or a public transportation stop and take them to the company from there. There has been no mention of Mr. Garcia taking any form of public transportation, so that leaves us with a central location where other employees also board the shuttle or he is being picked up at or very near to his home. If he is waiting outside mornings between 3:30 and 4:30 am, he is vulnerable whether right in front of his home or down the block.
If he has a physical handicap, his driver would likely pick him up right at his home, this might also be true if he is mentally challenged. Many companies hire folks with various types of disabilities. Of course this is all speculation based on the information that RG has a “driver”. For all we know, RG has no type of mental or physical disability.
Does RG live alone? Why did a family member speculate that something might have happened to RG as he waited for his early morning ride? Was it a family member that RG texted with between 10:30 and 11:30 pm on the day he was last seen? If so, did that person believe that he was home at the time?
Still lots of questions. I wonder if there are any video cameras in his neighborhood at homes or businesses which might have caught something on tape.

I think the date in the title is not correct, the news item says he was last heard from on Wednesday (March 15), and they suspect something happened in the early morning of the 16th. His last twitter post is a check-in from work on the 15th (early morning).
Edit: He has replied to someone's tweet in the evening of March 15.

There is a “Search for Richard” FB page that I can’t link to because I don’t know if it is a relative who is the admin although there are relatives posting.
What is clear is that he is loved by many and this disappearance is totally out of character for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there are security cameras in his building, if he lives in one, or on the street he lives on or where he was getting picked up? I assume this would be mentioned if so…

There is a “Search for Richard” FB page that I can’t link to because I don’t know if it is a relative who is the admin although there are relatives posting.
What is clear is that he is loved by many and this disappearance is totally out of character for him.

Here is the link to the group Search for RICHARD | Facebook

ADMIN NOTE:

Thanks OldCop.
We're going to allow the Search for RICHARD page because it appears the Admin is at least a friend of Richard's who has spoken with him recently and it all seems above board.

@hkenny80 what the poster meant is that he is unsure if he is allowed to post the link per Websleuths rules that we only link if a family member is running the group
Yes, family as Admin is a given, but we do review other relationships to determine connections and to make sure they aren't just random FB pages jumping on the bandwagon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back