IN IN - Salem, WhtMale UP16751, 75-85, alias "Bill Lee Hull", May'12

I think the third person in the front row could be Bill - this is from the University of Denver yearbook in 1952

Attachments

• BillHull.png
    BillHull.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 38
I've said this before but they really need to remove that photo and replace it with one of him alive - it seems that those photos exist. I accidentally saw the photo again and as upsetting as it is, I can't imagine how horrifying it would be for the family to see it :(

I have sent the below possible match in to NamUs today. I wonder if @CountSnap has had any further contact with the family? A picture of him alive could be helpful.

“Dear Mr. Welsh,
I was wondering if the unidentified male found in 2012 in Salem, Indiana could be missing Michael Lawrence Griffin.
He disappeared in 1958 at age 18 with his girlfriend Donnis Redman aka Pinky. He was 5’3 with auburn/red hair and hazel eyes.
The unidentified male was estimated between 75-85, around 5’3 according to the family (see Websleuths conversation I added), had blue eyes and a tattoo with the name Pinky.”

Michael Lawrence Griffin

I have sent the below possible match in to NamUs today. I wonder if @CountSnap has had any further contact with the family? A picture of him alive could be helpful.

“Dear Mr. Welsh,
I was wondering if the unidentified male found in 2012 in Salem, Indiana could be missing Michael Lawrence Griffin.
He disappeared in 1958 at age 18 with his girlfriend Donnis Redman aka Pinky. He was 5’3 with auburn/red hair and hazel eyes.
The unidentified male was estimated between 75-85, around 5’3 according to the family (see Websleuths conversation I added), had blue eyes and a tattoo with the name Pinky.”

Michael Lawrence Griffin

Height decreases over time/with age. If he had been hiding out this long, he wouldn't be 5'3 anymore.

Mike Griffin definitely came to mind at first when I saw this due to the Pinky tattoo and the fact they're the same height. Although that almost seems too fantastic? Still I do hope they do identify Bill!
Wow. I know people were talking about Mike before but I forgot about Pinky...

It's the aging that's the problem. They both have similar ears and eyes but Bill looks like he's in his 80s while Mike would have been 70ish at the time.

Wow. I know people were talking about Mike before but I forgot about Pinky...

It's the aging that's the problem. They both have similar ears and eyes but Bill looks like he's in his 80s while Mike would have been 70ish at the time.
Michael Griffin would have been around 72 years old in 2012 and the estimated age of "Bill Hull" is 75-85 years old. So the age could match.

Ok, so interestingly I actually had a conversation with the family on this guy, thinking he may have been Mel Wiley.
That turns out to be impossible because this man ("Bill Lee Hull") is less than 5'5'' tall.
Probably about 5'3".
The kind woman, did say that she did have more pictures of him. I'll reach out again as soon as I can to see about if that is possible again.
In addition, she had a lot of good things to say about the man. The story alone of how he and Bessie got together was interesting. Yes, they were a couple.
Was an interesting character with as you can imagine a dark and shadowy past that may also include parts of New Jersey or other areas similar. (Again, only a possibility. Not for sure. They were guessing because he wouldn't say much.)
So definitely sounds like he was running against some kind of grain, so to speak.
So, hopefully that helps, with the height, since I believe on NAMUS it says it couldn't estimate for some reason.
What would you like to know? As a matter of fact we know no more than you know. My mother Bessie Fields picked him up one night in a bar, and I told her she was crazy that he could be a murderer or a rapist well he could be both? The verdict is still out? No DL no birth certificate nothing just the clothes on his back. She took him in. Not sure what else I can tell you except we have lots of pictures over the years of him.

What would you like to know? As a matter of fact we know no more than you know. My mother Bessie Fields picked him up one night in a bar, and I told her she was crazy that he could be a murderer or a rapist well he could be both? The verdict is still out? No DL no birth certificate nothing just the clothes on his back. She took him in. Not sure what else I can tell you except we have lots of pictures over the years of him.
Hello! May I ask what town your Mother was in when she met Bill in the bar?

Was my mother Bessie Fields? Bill was very good to her and all of her kids. He would tell people that we were his kids. I spent a year or more trying to find out who he actually was? No luck with a name like Bill Lee Hull not William either he would say just Bill?
Hi M@rtha and welcome to websleuths. Thank you for your info and memories. You mentioned you have lots of photos, would be able to post one on here for us as a reference? Thank you.

Oh also by any chance do you remember if he had an accent of any sort that might help narrow which area he could of come from. Thank you again

Last edited:

“Dear Mr. Welsh,

Michael Lawrence Griffin

I have not, unfortunately. There is some work going on behind the scenes with some good folks on here as well as organizations, though.
So, fingers crossed that it could be this year or next that we get an answer.
You all are an amazing bunch. Doing good things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back