GUILTY IN - Three Children Killed at School Bus Stop, Fulton County, Rochester, 30 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

I can’t imagine. Her vehicle had very heavy damage, you would think someone would have noticed and asked her about it.

She works at a church in Rochester.

24-year-old driver arrested after three siblings die at Rochester bus stop

“"This was a very bad day for the state of Indiana," ISP Sgt. Tony Slocum said. "First responders don't usually shed tears at crash scenes but there were some tears shed today and of course they were warranted because our hearts go out to the families involved, to everyone involved."“

(—remembering Slocum of course from Abby’s and Libby’s case.)

Really awful. I don’t know a parent could possibly move on from this.

The accident happened around 7 am, and she was arrested at work around 4 pm.

How in the world could someone work all day, business as usual, after hitting four children and killing three of them?

The scene was so horrific that first responders and officers were crying.

Unbelievable.

My opinion only.

And in her mugshot, she doesn't look upset at all. I've been more torn up after accidentally hitting a squirrel

And in her mugshot, she doesn't look upset at all. I've been more torn up after accidentally hitting a squirrel

Agreed .
Disgusting.
Hope she gets the max penalties. :mad:
Looking at that truck -- no way she was driving slowly--- the front end of the pickup is caved in.

That poor family's life is shattered into a thousand pieces.

mapstreetview.com
Using the Google Street View Map for Rochester, IN to reference the location of 4844 IN-25 to where the children were hit at ca. 4668 IN-25, the distance looks to be approximately 0.1 mile, which is equal to 528 feet. I have chosen the “4844” number as this is where the “WATCH FOR SCHOOL BUS” sign is located for southbound drivers that A. Shepherd should have read and obeyed. And from the uploaded pic, (IMO) her visibility from the highway warning sign to the area where the bus stopped with its roof-top strobe light flashing, flashing warning arm extended, and warning blinkers on that morning was within range, clear and unimpeded.
upload_2018-11-3_18-53-59.jpeg

upload_2018-11-3_18-54-53.jpeg

Keeping that in mind, if she were traveling 45 to 55 m.p.h., she would have had about 6.6 to 8.0 seconds to access the situation before impact. Isn’t that plenty of time to engage the brakes???
Time Speed Distance Calculations in Car and Truck Accidents

Driver who killed 3 siblings saw flashing lights but didn't know it was a bus: Police

This paragraph is all my opinion: If she were unsure to what she should attribute the “flashing emergency lights,” why wouldn’t she cautiously slow down to correctly evaluate and respond in kind? After all, she was transporting children in her vehicle and their safety should have been paramount. When you prove that you are worthy to be issued a driver’s license, there is an incredible responsibility that is married to that privilege. And, this responsibility is extended to include the people outside as well as inside your vehicle with whom you may impact. What a liability she is behind the wheel. I realize “mistakes” and “accidents” happen, but I am having a hard time qualifying this as either one. If her narrative is to be believed, precious lives were snuffed out and one critically injured as a result of her making a conscious decision to not slow down. I apologize in advance if I offend any reader of this post; our family has suffered with the vehicular death of a teenager due to an adult DUI. Although there is absolutely no association of this to A. Shepherd, the lack of focus or mental acuity to prevent this tragedy feels the same.

My heart is breaking for this family and community over this senseless and preventable tragedy. This could have been my kid, these could have been your kids. This could have happened to anyone of us because of someone's carelessness and negligence. It has to stop.

I haven't heard anything about her being impaired due to drugs, OTC medications, or alcohol. (Disclaimer: I am in no way implying the driver was impaired by these things, either)

Being impaired due to sleep deprivation is just as deadly as DUI, only I don't think there's any way to really prove it.

I'm still so angry & shaken up over this.

As a mother, I'm grief stricken over the needless suffering of this family, their friends and community.

As a responsible adult, I time my morning commute to avoid as many school buses as possible. I leave earlier than I have to. Unlike where this happened, which appears to be a relative straightaway with good visibility, my route to work is full of blind curves and blind hills. Kids are usually in the blind spots or on a corner I can't see around. One stop is at a 90 degree angle, and yep, you guessed it, the bus picks up a student right at the elbow.

Even though I have a good idea of the timing of the buses and their approximate stops between home and work, I still use caution in case their schedule changes or they're a little bit late/early due to road conditions, etc. I'm mindful of school buses no matter what, except in the summer. I've even gone so far to call the school department two towns over to find out if there were any route/bus schedule changes when they opened their new consolidated school so I could rearrange my schedule if need be.

I know some folks will probably say I'm overly cautious, but I'm of the belief there's no such thing as being too careful when it comes to our kids' safety getting on and off the school bus.

ETA: My rule of thumb is when in doubt, stop.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TRUTHSEEKER85!!
Back