Ireland - Aidan Moffitt, 30s, found dead with 'significant injuries' at home, Sligo, 11 April 2022

I missed the start of this ordeal . Was the man who assaulted first victim the police had ? And then after that he went on to do the 2 murders ? Sligo suspect ‘planned to kill more men in the coming days’ | Ireland | The Times
This is the order of the crimes:

Yousef Palani of Markievicz Heights Sligo is also charged with assault causing serious harm to another man in Sligo on April 9th last.

The accused was charged with the murder of Aidan Moffitt at Cartron Heights in Sligo on April 10th last.

He was further charged with murdering Michael Snee at City View in Sligo on April 12th.

Yousef Palani (22) charged with murders of two men in Sligo

Last edited:
Yousef Palani (22) remanded in custody after being charged with the murders of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee

(...)

Defence solicitor Gerry McGovern told Judge Murphy that there would be no application for bail.

The accused was remanded in custody to appear at Sligo district court via video link on April 21, 2022.

Mr McGovern requested his client be placed on a “suicide watch” while in the custody of the prison service.

Mr McGovern also asked Judge Murphy for an immediate psychiatric assessment.

“This is quite urgent,” he said

“I am asking he be assessed by a psychiatrist, not in a few days, immediately.”

He said this should be carried out by a psychiatrist attached to the prison service or “one from Dundrum”.

“I ask that be marked as urgent.”

Judge Murphy directed a psychiatric assessment be carried out immediately and said that “out of an abundance of caution”, she would also direct that Mr Palani be provided with any medical treatment necessary.

Judge Murphy also granted an application by Mr McGovern for free legal aid for the accused.

The court heard Yousef Palani is unemployed and “not in a position to meet” the cost of the charges.

A large crowd assembled outside the Sligo Court House on Teeling Street in the centre of the Sligo town as Palani was transferred the short distance from Sligo Garda station.

The accused man, dressed in a grey tracksuit, sat with his arms folded and looked straight ahead at Judge Murphy throughout the short hearing.

This is a really upsetting case to me for many reasons. The deaths were horrific. The men who died were by all accounts wonderful people who did so much good for their locality. They did nothing wrong and never hurt anyone; they just wanted to live their lives and be happy. I am so sorry for the man who survived but lost an eye. He will be traumatised for a very long time.

I live in the area where this happened and we have come a long way from the narrow-minded homophobia of decades past. Violent crime is rare here. In 2015, Ireland legalised same-sex marriage by popular vote. It was a joyful moment. We felt like the country had moved on. Now I hear LGBT people don't feel safe on the streets. And I don't blame them.

I am also extremely concerned for some of our immigrant communities and naturalised citizens, and I hope there will not be misplaced retaliation targeted towards blameless people, who are wonderful additions to Sligo, for the crimes of one apparently disturbed man (assuming his guilt is proven).

It is just a really sad time.

I'm so curious. Is the suspect a man who grew up in the community with disturbing ideas, or was he a man from other place who inflicted his foreign beliefs 0n this community?

If the latter, seems like religious terrorism.

From the link you quoted (Daily Mail frequently adds to/ updates information within the same article so it may not have been there when you read it).

"A police source told MailOnline the murder suspect is an Iranian Kurdish refugee who arrived in Sligo in September 2006 when he was six-years-old with his mother, father and brother"
"The police source said the suspect was educated in Sligo in the local primary and secondary school after arriving in 2006 as a refugee. The family also lived in a house in Sligo and attended the local mosque."
Suspect in Irish 'gay-hate murder' case is charged after two men found grotesquely mutilated | Daily Mail Online

Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee – the Sligo murder victims who will never be forgotten

They didn’t know each other but Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee will be forever connected through their horrific deaths in their own homes in Sligo. Paul Deering and Gerry McLaughlin profile the two men whose deaths shocked and sent fear and sorrow through the community.

Sligo has been fondly recalling this week the two men who were horrifically murdered in their homes. It’s clear they were much loved not only by their families but in the community and workplaces where they intermingled.

Michael Snee (58) originally came from the Cranmore area of Sligo where the family is well liked and respected.

Their home was at McNeill Drive and Michael had a happy upbringing with his parents, Phil and John and sisters Tina and Mary.

He was a keen Irish dancer in his youth and his mum would bring him regularly to various feiseanna.

Michael was noted for his caring and kind nature from an early age and was extremely good to his neighbours in Cranmore particularly the elderly.

(...)

Michael became a porter at St John’s Community Hospital and later became a carer.

Both staff and residents loved Michael. His humour and gentle nature was much appreciated.

He spent many years employed at the hospital and he was sadly missed on his retirement.

(...)

Michael, a separated man, moved to Dromahair some time ago with a partner and but returned to Sligo in recent times where he lived alone at City View, his residence for some five years.

(...)

In recent times Michael suffered from failing eyesight and wasn’t believed to be working at the time of his tragic death.

Sligo People Before Profit Councillor Gino O’Boyle said that the area where murder victim Michael Snee lived had a number of elderly people which meant that they were more vulnerable.

(...)

Aidan Moffitt, who was single, ran his own auctioneering firm Hazelfort and was also a financial advisor.

He was a much respected and well liked businessman in Sligo where he previously worked for Bank of Ireland and Irish Life.

The Lisacul, Ballaghaderreen native, who moved to Sligo well over ten years ago, had recently returned from a short holiday in Spain.

He has been described as very friendly and sociable by friends and he had a great fondness for horse racing.

(...)

Mr Moffitt, a Peace Commissioner, played a leading role in the Fine Gael party locally and was well known for his expertise in running election campaigns.

(...)

Mr Moffitt held the post of secretary of the party’s Sligo/Leitrim Constituency Executive while he was the current chairman of the Sligo/Strandhill District of the party, planning for the next local elections in two years.

(...)

Mayor of the Borough District of Sligo Arthur Gibbons paid a warm tribute to Aidan Moffitt and said there was a dark cloud over the area and people were fearful and anxious.

“There is family out there devastated, there’s a community there in Cartron Heights [greatly saddened].

“There are flowers outside the house and there is huge dismay, disbelief and sorrow that people feel for his family.

“He was a young man of 42 years of age and no family should ever be given that news.

“I’d like to offer my condolences to Aidan’s family and I’m sure I speak for the whole lot of Cartron Heights and Cartron Bay in relation to that. He was a neighbour and a good neighbour at that who kept himself to himself.”

Councillor O’Boyle said he had known the deceased man Mr Moffitt from the time he had worked in a local pub.

“I knew him fairly well and also through the politics as myself and Blaine Gaffney get on well and I knew he went around canvassing for Blaine so we used to have a bit of banter at the time of the elections.

“Aidan was a very nice fellow, a positive man and well educated. And he was very good with people and a bit of a character in his own way.

“When he would be in having a pint, you could have great craic with him”.

He added: “He was also very funny and very bright.

"And he was a very good businessman and knew his stuff and will be a loss to the business community."

(...)

Tanaiste Leo Varadkar said he was “shocked” and “worried” by the two murders.

“I just really wanted to say that I have been speaking to our members in Sligo and I just really wanted to say how shocked and worried I am by the two murders that have occurred in Sligo over the past few days.

“I know people in Sligo are really shocked, the LGBT community is really worried about what this represents and I would encourage anyone to pass on whatever information they have to the gardai even if they don’t think it’s particularly relevant.

“This is kind of scary, Ireland is a welcoming country for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people in the main, it is a safe country in which to be a gay person but I think a lot of us had hoped we had put these kind of attacks behind us,” he said.

Sinn Féin MEP for Midlands Northwest Chris MacManus has described the murders of Mr Moffitt and Mr Snee as a callous attack.

MacManus said: “Firstly, let me say we stand with every member of the LGBTI+ community.

“Your diversity should be celebrated and protected and never threatened.

“The people of Sligo and indeed the entire island of Ireland stands with you.

"The murders of Aidan and Michael are an example of humanity at its worst. Hate crimes are an attack on freedom, compassion and love. Such actions will not be tolerated.

“My sincere condolences go to the families, friends and neighbours of Aidan and Michael at this time.

“I cannot imagine how devastating this news is for people close to the victims.

“This is a needless loss of life and the people of Sligo are in shock.

“The violent nature of these deaths is very worrying and It’s very hard for anyone to make any sense of what has happened.”

MacManus concluded: “We must trust and support the investigative process and any subsequent judicial procedures.

“These events must not lead to hate of any other minority community. Hate brought us here. Only understanding and compassion can bring us to a better place as a community,” he said.

(Very long article; more at link)

Vigils take place in memory of two men killed in Sligo

Vigils are taking place in Sligo, Dublin and other towns and cities across the country today and over the next few days, in memory of Michael Snee and Aidan Moffitt who were killed in Sligo earlier this week.

People started to gather in Sligo at around 5.30pm. Sligo Mayor Arthur Gibbons was in attendance, as was Dr Jamshaid Sulehri of the Sligo and Leitrim Islamic Cultural Society.

Crowds were also gathered outside Leinster House in Dublin this evening.
Sligo Pride had asked for a "sombre and respectful" vigil in memory of the two men, asking those attending to dress in black and not to bring any large Pride flags.

In a statement in advance of the event, it said it was "a time of mourning".

"Loud noise or any form of inappropriate behaviour would be highly discouraged," it added.

A pride flag is being flown upside down outside Sligo Town Hall and at half-mast as a mark of respect.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, Chief Executive of LGBT Ireland Paula Fagan said they expected a big turnout at the vigils. She said that in total 35 vigils are being held around the country.

Ms Fagan said there is a "deep sense of loss" in Sligo and further afield following the men's deaths.

(...)

Funerals of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee who were killed in Sligo to take place at the same time on Easter Monday

The funerals of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee will take place simultaneously on Easter Monday.

Both men died violently earlier this week. Aidan Moffitt (41) was found dead at his home in Cartron Heights, in Sligo town, on Monday evening.

The body of Michael Snee (58) was found on Tuesday evening at his home in the City View estate, Connaughton Road.

On Thursday a man was charged with murder over the two men’s deaths.

Mr Moffitt’s removal from the Sharkey Funeral Home in Ballaghaderreen, where he will be reposing on Easter Sunday from 4pm to 7pm, is to take place on Monday at 11.30am to Christ the King Church for funeral mass at 12pm.

A note on RIP.ie said the auctioneer, who had played a leading role in the Fine Gael party locally, will be “sadly missed and remembered with love by his heartbroken family”.

Mr Snee’s removal from his family home in Cartron Point, Sligo, where he will be reposing from 2pm to 8pm on Saturday and Easter Sunday, is to take place on Monday at 11.30am to Saint Joseph's Church, Ballytivnan, for funeral mass at 12pm.

The funeral notice on RIP.ie said Mr Snee was predeceased by his mother, Phil, and he was the “dearly loved” son of his father John.

The notice continued: “Cherished brother of Mary and Tina. Adored uncle of Aaron, Shannon and Sophie. Sadly missed by his loving family; brother-in-law Francis, aunts Marie and Kitty, cousins, relatives and friends.”

Attachments

• xyz snee and moffitt-b 81612573.jpeg
    xyz snee and moffitt-b 81612573.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 8
Large crowds gather at vigils in memory of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee

(Dublin) As hundreds of people gathered at the Dáil this evening to show their solidarity and shock at the deaths of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee in Sligo, the atmosphere was one of deep sorrow, grief and anger.

Under the flapping of many rainbow flags, LGBTQ+ community leaders told how they will not let 40 years of gains be undermined.

Alan Edge from LGBT Ireland said it was important they come together as a community as a time like this, but urged them to remember that they have allies who support them through the pain of the past week.

He welcomed Sheikh Dr Umar Al Qadri who addressed the crowd saying they had come together to face down the dehumanisation of the LGBTI+ community.

Aifric Ní Chríodáin from Shoutout said it gave the community great confidence to see so many people there, adding: “and especially if this is your first time at a public LGBTQ gathering. Thank you so much for your courage. Thank you for joining us and welcome.”

She called for more education in schools and said young people must be allowed “to live in the light”.

“We protect each other because there is no other way to survive in this world,” she said.

“It reminds us that we cannot exist in isolation, that we cannot withdraw from each other, from our neighbours in the communities beside us of any difference of any distance. We all rely on each other despite those differences, despite those distances, and with those distances and those differences as empowering tools. That is what community fundamentally means it means that standing together,” she said.

A minute’s silence was held as people stood in sombre reflection.

Then the wistful and deeply poignant strains of Somewhere Over the Rainbow sang by the Gloria LGBT+ choir brought a pump to the throat, a tribute to the two dead men.

(...)

Attachments

• il sligo deaths 121.jpg
    il sligo deaths 121.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • il sligo deaths 171.jpg
    il sligo deaths 171.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Man accused of double murder in Sligo is further remanded

A 22 year old man accused of murdering two men in Sligo has been further remanded in custody when he appeared before Sligo District Court this morning via video link from Castlerea Prison.

Solicitor for the accused, Mr Gerard McGovern said no application for bail was being made at this time which would have to come before the High Court.

(...)

The court heard that the accused had been medically assessed in the prison since being remanded there from a special sitting of Sligo District Court on Holy Thursday.

Mr McGovern said his legal team will be visiting him when he is out of a mandatory Covid-19 quarantine.

Judge Sandra Murphy further remanded the accused in custody to the 12th of May to appear again via video link.

Yousef Palani – charged with Sligo murders of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee – has third court appearance​

A man charged with the murders of Aidan Moffitt and Michael Snee and assaulting a third man has been remanded in custody until next month.

Yousef Palani (22) of 10 Markievicz Heights, Sligo, appeared before Sligo District Court via video link from Castlerea prison this morning.

Mr Palani has been in custody since he was charged following a special sitting of the Sligo District Court on April 14.

(...)

Palani greeted Judge Sandra Murphy and his solicitor.

His solicitor, John Anderson, asked Palani how he was, to which he replied: “Sound.”

Mr Anderson said there would not be a bail application and asked Judge Murphy for a further adjournment on consent between both parties to June 9 as the garda file was still being prepared.

“It is a complex file, as you can imagine,” Mr Anderson said.

Mr Anderson told Judge Murphy the file involved three separate matters.

He said the state was awaiting directions from the DPP in relation to the Section 4 assault charge.

Sergeant Derek Butler agreed to the adjournment and confirmed the file was still in the preparation phase for the DPP.

Judge Murphy remanded Palani in custody to Castlerea prison and ordered him to appear again via video link at Sligo District Court on June 9, 2022.

(...)

At his last appearance, the court heard Palani received psychiatric care while on remand in prison.

LGBT+ groups set to meet with gardaí over recent homophobic attacks in Dublin​

With Pride taking place in two weeks, the groups want to ensure that safety of people is paramount.

(...)

Oisín O’Reilly, who is two months into his new role as CEO of Outhouse on Dublin’s Capel St, which is an LGBT+ community resource centre and café, told The Journal that there has been a “very open conversation” among community leadership over the last number of weeks in the wake of recent incidents. In the past two days, they decided to reach out to the gardaí and plans are now underway for group representatives to meet with gardaí next week.

In May, GCN reported on a lesbian couple who were the victims of a homophobic attack in Dublin, which led to them suffering physical injuries.

The previous month, Evan Somers was attacked in Dublin city centre, which left him hospitalised with serious injuries.

Evan – who is a member of Emerald Warriors RFC, an LGBT+ inclusive rugby team based in Dublin – said at the time that the incident shows that more needs to be done to tackle hate-related violence towards the LGBT community.

Also in April were the murders of two gay men, Michael Snee and Aidan Moffitt, in Sligo. A man has been charged in relation to their deaths.

June is Pride month, where the country and capital celebrate the diversity, history and impact of LGBT+ people. O’Reilly said the upcoming meeting is particularly important as the first Pride event in two years is due to take place in the coming weeks.

He said that last weekend was the first weekend in months where he didn’t hear of an incident of homophobic violence happening in Dublin. “It shows how frequently homophobic violence is taking place within the city,” he said, saying it makes him and others feel “deeply worried”.

“Outhouse is a safe space for the community – we were born out of a need for safety for the community,” he said. “I am seeing fear, anxiety, worry – that sense of ‘can I wear a pride flag, will that make me a target?’” But he said that recent attacks are “set against a backdrop of rising crime and physical crime, and assaults and otherwise, generally in urban centres”.

“Some of what is happening is definitely homophobic in nature – someone might be carrying a symbol of the community, with someone noting that while carrying out the crime. And some of it is LGBT people who happen to be a victim of crime that is not related to their identity. My concern as someone working and leading in the queer community is our community has a perception the streets are unsafe.”

(...)

He said his main question for the gardaí “is what are you going to do to tackle [this]“. He said he is quite confident that if someone is the victim of a homophobic crime and reports it to the gardaí it will be investigated. But he said: “This is about the prevention of crime in the first place, and how are we going to create a climate of safety for LGBT+ people, women, members of the Traveller and Roma communities, and other minorities?”

(...)

O’Reilly said while he wouldn’t say there has been inaction on the part of the gardaí, who do liaise with community groups, he would like to see more proactivity.

This proactivity from the gardaí in contacting groups was evident, he said, in the wake of the murders of Michael Snee and Aidan Moffitt in Sligo.

“I know there are amazing people inside the [Garda] organisation who are doing their absolute best. I do think there is something more needs to be done on the eve of Pride,” said O’Reilly.

(...)

BREAKING |

Sligo murders: Yousef Palani pleads guilty to killing two men and assaulting a third​

A 22-year-old man has today pleaded guilty to the murder of two men and the assault of another in crimes that shocked Ireland last year.

Yousef Palani of Markievicz Heights in Sligo pleaded guilty to the murder of Aidan Moffitt at Carton Heights in Sligo on April 10 last year.

Palani also admitted murdering Michael Snee at City View, Connaughton Road, in the town two days later on April 12, 2022.
He further pleaded guilty to assaulting another man at Cleveragh Road in Sligo on April 9, 2022.

He has been in custody at Castlerea Prison in Co Roscommon since being charged with these offences and was due to go on trial in November in a case that was expected to last three weeks.

(...)

Unemployed man Mr Palani will face a full sentencing hearing at a later date where he will be sentenced to a mandatory life sentence.

At a court hearing earlier this month it emerged that had changed his senior counsel ahead of the trial that was due to take place in November.

The court at that time heard that there were various records being sought for Mr Palani from the Central Mental Hospital and Castlerea Prison and that the defence was still awaiting those.

Sligo murders: Large cash haul found in home of ‘lone wolf’ killer who met victims on social media

Violent spree showed ‘serial killer tendencies’, say sources

(...)

The large amount of cash seized by gardaí during the search of Palani’s home is the subject of an ongoing Criminal Assets Bureau (Cab) investigation but sources said it is not suspected to have originated from criminality.

(...)

Palani, whose murderous spree displayed “serial killer tendencies” according to sources, was unknown to gardaí before April of last year.

(...)

Gardaí have not established any motive for the two murders or the other vicious assault, which led to Mr Burke losing his eye and suffering other facial injuries.

Senior sources said detectives are satisfied the killer “was not influenced by any individual or organisation” in relation to the horrific crimes.

“For want of a better word, he can be described as a lone wolf and no particular ideology has been discovered to indicate why he did what he did. No one knows exactly why he did it. He was not radicalised or anything like that – it was like he literally came out of nowhere,” one source said.

“This is an individual who was in third-level education, came from a good family and had never been on the garda radar for anything.”

It has emerged that Palani met all three of his victims after communicating with them on social media and he had been in separate contact with the three men for only a number of weeks before the attacks that shocked the country last year.

There is no evidence that Palani had met them in person before he attacked his victims, with the two murder victims being killed in their own homes and the assault victim being targeted near his home after meeting him.

(...)

'KILL LIST' |

Man who survived stabbing by Sligo double killer says he planned to kill 12 people​

“There were about 12 people on the list. He would have just gone around to every single one of them. He had a kill list. He was going to kill everyone that he was chatting to on Grindr”

(...)

Mr Burke, who was stabbed in the eye with a seven-inch blade and suffered life-changing injuries, told the Sunday World this week that Palani was a homophobic “coward” who wanted to murder him after tying him up.

After the two had chatted on well-known dating app Grindr, Palani called to the victim’s home.

“He was sitting in my house for a couple of hours with the knife in his jacket, which I didn’t know. He was going to kill me in the house,” Mr Burke said.

While they chatted, Palani told him he was into tying people up.

“He showed me the ropes he was going to tie people up with. He said this was his ‘thing’ – he liked to tie people up.”

(...)

“He probably wouldn’t have got caught for a while if I hadn’t survived and [could] identify him.”

(...)

He said Palani was calmly trying to convince him to let him tie him up and had a clear plan of what he wanted to do.

“It was planned out and he had started chatting to all the lads already and I was the one whose house had got into first. He told me who he was chatting to online. I knew they were going to be the next victims when we heard about the first victim.”

He said he was disappointed the State dropped the attempted murder charge against Palani after he pleaded guilty to the lesser assault charge.

“I’m disappointed that I couldn’t get my day and couldn’t tell the people exactly what happened. I want it out. I’m glad for the other families that they don’t have to go through three weeks of listening to it.

“It was horrendous. The ambulance crew that went in walked back out again because they couldn’t handle it. It wasn’t nice at all. It was pure savagery.”

Mr Burke added that he received great support from the people of Sligo after the attack but it forced him to come out.

“It was good to see [the support], but I’ve lived 49 years without anyone questioning me and now the whole world knows. I didn’t want to come out this way.”

(...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendabernice
Back