Ireland Ireland - Annie McCarrick, 26, US citizen, Dublin, 23 March 1993

More than beginning to think you are right in that Annie might have been attacked at her home or nearby.
If that is true, maybe AM is hidden much closer to home?
speculation, imo, fwiw.
The recent news about police looking at someone from Sandymount imply this strongly.

The timeline never added up to me. She was running errands at 11am and got the bus at 3pm.

So what was she doing for 4 hours with her groceries out and washing in the machine!?

She was obviously disturbed sometime shortly after 11am.

I'm a lazy slob and don't leave my groceries out. It's just habit to put them away immediately. She left them out as she was intending to bake items for Cafe Java.

Also I don't leave clothes in the washing machine as they smell and you have to wash them again. It was a communal laundry also. She was obviously disturbed at approximately 11.30 to 12 in or near her apartment.
Was she friendly with a male neighbor?
I'd run through a list of tenants.

Maybe she realized she forgot an item for her baking and was about to pop out for it but encountered someone in the hallway of apartment building or car park?
Although I doubt she was abducted from the car park.

Maybe she lent a baking tray to a neighbor and went to retrieve it.

Just my own opinion.

Last edited:
April 3 2023 rbbm.
''A new suspect in the disappearance of American student Annie McCarrick was found to have lived in the same Dublin neighborhood as her after the case was upgraded to a murder investigation.

McCarrick, originally from New York, went missing on March 26, 1993 after last being seen taking a bus to Enniskerry. She had told a friend she was planning on going to the Wicklow Mountains for the day.

McCarrick's case was upgraded to a murder investigation last month after authorities received a new undisclosed lead, with news now emerging that a man who lived in McCarrick's Sandymount neighborhood in Dublin 4 has been identified as a suspect in her killing.

The man has yet to be arrested, but sources have told the Irish Mirror that authorities are building a case against him while also maintaining "an open mind."
They also told the outlet new searches and digs are expected to begin in the next several days or weeks. ''

"They have already earmarked certain areas of interest which they want to look at."

''Sandymount has become the main geographical focus for investigators, as authorities move away from the theory that McCarrick was last seen at Johnny Fox’s pub in Glencullen, Dublin. ''

Good to see this case starting to get a bit of momentum. I was firmly of the opinion that Annie disappeared around Enniskerry (I never thought she went as far as Johnny Fox's).

However, if she was attacked in her apartment in Sandymount it would be very difficult to remove a body in such an urban area. I wonder if it was situation where she accepted an offer of a lift to Enniskerry from someone she knew or trusted and the situation went downhill from there.

Good to see this case starting to get a bit of momentum. I was firmly of the opinion that Annie disappeared around Enniskerry (I never thought she went as far as Johnny Fox's).

However, if she was attacked in her apartment in Sandymount it would be very difficult to remove a body in such an urban area. I wonder if it was situation where she accepted an offer of a lift to Enniskerry from someone she knew or trusted and the situation went downhill from there.

There's a carpark around the back of the apartments, would be very secluded after dark.

I think the problem is that the eye witness testimony of her on the bus to Enniskerry at 3:40pm is considered credible since it was a coworker.

The lift suggestion is more credible to me. Someone she sorta knew from around Sandymount. She'd only been there a few months I think.

Maybe she bumped in to someone on her way to laundry room.

Last edited:
1680564912173.png
In a recent press conference, Detective Superintendent Eddie Carroll said investigators were looking for the bag Annie was seen wearing in this CCTV image. The last known CCTV footage of Annie, it shows the missing woman queuing in the Allied Irish Bank on Sandymount Road shortly before 11am on the morning of her disappearance
1680564847134.png
''Mar 30, 2023
Last week, Gardai opened a murder investigation into missing New York native Annie McCarrick in Dublin. Today, Paul speaks to the former detective who investigated Annie's disappearance, who believes her killer may have kept her bag as a souvenir. Gardai have issued an appeal in relation to a brown bag she had when she vanished on March 26, 1993, and are looking for anyone who may have any information about Annie's whereabouts. Today, we look at not only the case of Annie, but the cold cases of women missing in Ireland, and those who Gardai believe may have been involved - and those who have been effectively ruled out. Shattered Lives is produced for Reach Ireland by Ciaran Bradley.''

Wow!! Donnybrook is a district in Dublin.

The bag could provide investigators with vital evidence as to what happened to the 26-year-old and could even help catch her killer. The man who posted the messages on a missing persons website in 2021 claimed he found the handbag behind Keily’s pub in Donnybrook.

He said a friend then brought it to Donnybrook Garda station after finding cards indicating that it belonged to Ms McCarrick. In the post he stated: “We weren’t cops or detectives. We just handed it in to P Station [police station].

“I presume it was dealt with and kept. Cards of Annie were in the bag.”

This would mean Annie actually never left Dublin or was abducted IMO. That would undermine all sightings........

Something about Kiely's pub with a picture before demolition. Demolition of Kiely’s in Donnybrook given green light

Wow!! Donnybrook is a district in Dublin.

The bag could provide investigators with vital evidence as to what happened to the 26-year-old and could even help catch her killer. The man who posted the messages on a missing persons website in 2021 claimed he found the handbag behind Keily’s pub in Donnybrook.

He said a friend then brought it to Donnybrook Garda station after finding cards indicating that it belonged to Ms McCarrick. In the post he stated: “We weren’t cops or detectives. We just handed it in to P Station [police station].

“I presume it was dealt with and kept. Cards of Annie were in the bag.”

This would mean Annie actually never left Dublin or was abducted IMO. That would undermine all sightings........

Something about Kiely's pub with a picture before demolition. Demolition of Kiely’s in Donnybrook given green light
If this turns out to be correct it changes the whole face of the investigation !! To my mind, it would make it far more likely that whatever happened to her occured more locally than Enniskerry. I feel it would also make it more likely that whoever did her harm was in some way known to her.

I can't see a random abduction in an area as urban as Donnybrook/Sandymount.

1683447748675.jpeg
A new true crime documentary focusing on the cases of several missing women raises fresh questions and suggests that a serial killer may have been at large.

The RTE series reveals Annie’s family and friends tried to highlight concerns that someone she knew had struck her before she went missing.

But gardai involved in the original investigation told the programme the information was not brought to their attention at the time of her disappearance.

Annie’s mother Nancy McCarrick told the documentary: “We found out from her friends that she had been having quite a bit of difficulty with someone she knew.

“We were totally unaware of that. She hadn’t let us know about it.

“I guess she thought she could handle it herself and things would be alright.”

View attachment 420329
A new true crime documentary focusing on the cases of several missing women raises fresh questions and suggests that a serial killer may have been at large.

The RTE series reveals Annie’s family and friends tried to highlight concerns that someone she knew had struck her before she went missing.

But gardai involved in the original investigation told the programme the information was not brought to their attention at the time of her disappearance.

Annie’s mother Nancy McCarrick told the documentary: “We found out from her friends that she had been having quite a bit of difficulty with someone she knew.

“We were totally unaware of that. She hadn’t let us know about it.

“I guess she thought she could handle it herself and things would be alright.”
Peep.....peep....

It has previously been reported that the American woman was seen in Johnnie Fox’s pub in the Co Wicklow village, but a second sighting of her on the same day at Poppie’s café in the same village has now emerged.

Her mother Nancy also reveals that Annie (26) was being harassed by a man known to her, while her aunt claims she was once hit by someone who was in a drunken state.

And friends of the missing woman claim they sent faxes to gardai at the time of Annie’s disappearance in 1993, but were never contacted.

A man recently alleged he too was never approached by investigators after he claimed he left a handbag he found belonging to Annie into a Dublin garda station — a bag which officers maintain was never handed over to them.

Annie’s mum Nancy tells RTÉ’s ‘Missing: Beyond The Vanishing Triangle’ that she hopes the recent upgrade of her daughter’s case to a full murder inquiry will produce results.

1683462031197.png
Annie McCarrick with her mum Nancy
1683461809401.png
Nancy McCarrick

"The house that Nancy McCarrick lives in is a house full of memories.

Her only daughter Annie's favourite Irish literature books line the bookshelves of her Long Island home; photos of her from happier times adorn the fridge and the bedroom wall; sometimes when it is cold Nancy wraps herself in one of Annie's old Aran sweaters.

Annie was "funny, reliable and conscientious", Nancy tells us during filming for our new two-part documentary series, MISSING:Beyond the Vanishing Triangle. "She wasn't fearful. She couldn’t find fault with Ireland."

''But those closest to her believe it is unlikely she ever made it to Johnnie Fox's. Her childhood best friend, Linda Ringhouse, says she was " very chatty, she really liked to have conversations and meet people."

"I don’t think she was at Johnnie Fox’s that night... between her beauty and just how kind she was… there would have definitely been more than just a doorman remembering her."

''Nancy McCarrick nods silently. Her hope now is not for justice or retribution. But answers.

"My fondest wish would just be to find out what happened to her. To be able to have a grave to visit. It would be very nice to be able to do that."

Episode 1 of MISSING: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle airs on Monday 8th May at 9.35 pm on RTE ONE and on the RTE Player.''

IF YOU HAVE any information about a missing person please contact the Garda Confidential line on 1800 666 111 or the National Missing Persons Helpline - 1800 442552 or at www.missingpersons.ie

I watched the show last night. It seems there was poor communication at times in the Gardai with regard to this case that really hampered it early on, e.g. the sighting in Poppies Coffee Shop not being properly reported and the faxes from friends concerning an issue Annie may have been having with someone she knew not getting to the right people.

Watching the show, I think it is now generally accepted that the sighting in Johnny Fox's pub was not Annie.

I'm sorry for asking, but how come that the information Annie had problems with someone is coming out just now and has never been mentioned in all the years that have past. Was it in the friend's faxes to the Gardai? Did they disregard this info? And what about her parents? Did the aunt never talked about the harassment before, until now? There has been contact between the/some friends with the McCarricks from the start, but her mother didn't know anything about it. I just don't understand......Same with Annie's bag. It was allegedly in possession of the police all this time. I'm flabbergasted by the way this case was handled from the get go. And now after 30 years!!! it finally has become a murder investigation. I have no words for it.....To be honest I don't believe she was at Poppies cafe either. Probably the sighting was the same woman who was spotted in Johnny Fox, who I never believed was Annie because the timeline/story doesn't add up, never did.

To recollect:
On Friday, March 26, just days before her mother was due to arrive, Annie didn't show up as expected to pick up her paycheck at work. On Saturday, when her friends arrived at her apartment for a previously arranged dinner party, there was no sign of Annie.

Annie's father, John McCarrick, said he knew immediately something was terribly wrong when her friends in Dublin called him to say they didn't know where Annie was. "She was always reaching out and touching someone. She would never have gone a day without talking to someone. We were very, very concerned," he said.

The McCarricks left immediately for Ireland, where the hunt for their daughter became one of the largest searches in Ireland's history.

I'm sorry for asking, but how come that the information Annie had problems with someone is coming out just now and has never been mentioned in all the years that have past. Was it in the friend's faxes to the Gardai? Did they disregard this info? And what about her parents? Did the aunt never talked about the harassment before, until now? There has been contact between the/some friends with the McCarricks from the start, but her mother didn't know anything about it. I just don't understand......Same with Annie's bag. It was allegedly in possession of the police all this time. I'm flabbergasted by the way this case was handled from the get go. And now after 30 years!!! it finally has become a murder investigation. I have no words for it.....To be honest I don't believe she was at Poppies cafe either. Probably the sighting was the same woman who was spotted in Johnny Fox, who I never believed was Annie because the timeline/story doesn't add up, never did.
RSBM.

I agree it is absolutely infuriating that the pieces of information that you mention above (her bag, possible harassment and the faxes) are only coming to light now...30 years later and on a high profile case !!

If someone she knew was responsible I think there may be a breakthrough, if it was a stranger it will be a lot harder, IMO.

It's a shame that the enquiry focused so much on Johnny Fox's early on. Like yourself, I don't think she was there, but I guess it had to be checked out given the circumstances.

A few months ago I was almost 100% convinced Annie made it as far as Enniskerry and that it was more than likely a 'stranger' abduction. I am about 60/40 now on her being in Enniskerry and think a complete stranger being responsible is far less likely that someone she knew.

Sources have revealed that one brother is the man who is suspected of stalking and assaulting Annie shortly before she vanished from South Dublin in March 1993 and both have previously been spoken to by gardai.

Neither man has been arrested but officers are building a case against them. It’s understood gardai were aware of both men shortly after Annie was last seen in a coffee shop in the Sandymount area on March 26, 1993.

Sources say they were able to give an account of their whereabouts around the time Annie disappeared but those accounts are now back under the spotlight.

Investigators in Ireland reportedly believe that two brothers are behind the killing of American Annie McCarrick, who disappeared in 1993. Investigators are now focused on the brothers, who are now being treated as suspects, in a bid to determine if there were any discrepancies or shortcomings in the information they gave to detectives when they were first interviewed, according to the Irish Times.

A former sergeant with An Garda Síochána, Ireland’s national police, which is investigating the cold case of McCarrick, said the two brothers previously provided him with an alibi. “These brothers were questioned before, but they had an alibi, so something has changed. They are already known to the investigation team,” retired detective Alan Bailey, who played a key role in the investigation, told the Irish Examiner.

The brothers are from Dublin, according to Irish Examiner. The men no longer live in the same region as they did when McCarrick vanished, according to Irish Times.

1683992520653.png
Annie McCarrick with her father John, who died in 2009.
1683992569675.png
Pictures of Annie McCarrick on display at a press conference at Irishtown Garda Station in Dublin earlier this year. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA

''When earlier this week Nancy McCarrick watched the RTÉ documentary, Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle, it was as if the video footage of her daughter, Annie, was in real time.

“Seeing the videos of her on the screen, smiling and laughing, it was almost as if that moment was just happening again. I found it comforting, lovely to see her like that,” she says.''

“I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but I am really impressed by the thoroughness of the gardaí and the documentary-makers. They have really listened to what we have to say.”

Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle is available to watch on RTÉ Player.''

View attachment 422080
Annie McCarrick with her father John, who died in 2009.
View attachment 422081
Pictures of Annie McCarrick on display at a press conference at Irishtown Garda Station in Dublin earlier this year. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA

''When earlier this week Nancy McCarrick watched the RTÉ documentary, Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle, it was as if the video footage of her daughter, Annie, was in real time.

“Seeing the videos of her on the screen, smiling and laughing, it was almost as if that moment was just happening again. I found it comforting, lovely to see her like that,” she says.''

“I don’t want to get my hopes up too high but I am really impressed by the thoroughness of the gardaí and the documentary-makers. They have really listened to what we have to say.”

Missing: Beyond the Vanishing Triangle is available to watch on RTÉ Player.''
What an adorable picture of Annie with her father. ....You can see how very much he loved her. It hit me and I had to cry. The tremendous suffering parents with a missing child have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gooniesforever
Back