Found Deceased Ireland - Tina Satchwell, 45, Youghal, Co. Cork, 20 March 2017 *arrest*

No it's the opposite direction. But it is on the way back from Carrigtohill where the car boot was (and the last sighting of Tina by someone other than RS).
It surely is.
Probably the road we least looked at ..
If it turns out to be her.... wow..
I'm going crazy looking for local Youghal or even Midleton media at mo.
It could be quite a wait.
'she was talkin to another trader on the Sunday and she told him how important her marriage was' or words to that effect...
.. I hugged her very very tightly... or words to that effect...
Yikes!

Missing Tina Satchwell's DNA to be compared to bones found in Cork

Gardai are to compare DNA from human remains located near Midleton in east Cork with those on record for a number of missing persons - including Youghal woman Tina Satchwell.

A skull discovered on Tuesday is now thought to be that of a female and is believed to have been present at the scene near the Old Midleton to Youghal rail line for a period of less than 10 years.

Nevertheless, sources have cautioned against speculation linking the discovery to missing Youghal woman Tina saying it is likely to be several weeks before formal identification is established.

From this link:

A painstaking excavation of the site at Roxborough off the old Midleton-Youghal rail line has yielded multiple bones, with a skull initially discovered on Tuesday evening by workmen converting the railway into a new €19.8m greenway.

[...]

The remains were found by the embankment of a railway line, just metres from a river and below a roadway bridge.

The yellow circle is my best guess for where the remains were found. The red pin is Roxborough.

TS1.jpg
You can see the river going through it. On the satellite view you can see the straight line of trees showing the old railway line leading straight to Midleton station (yellow arrow).

TS2.jpg

Google Maps

On streetview you can see it's a bridge.

TS3.jpg
Google Maps

If you pan round from there you can see why maybe a body wasn't discovered. Some pretty thick growth.

TS4.jpg

The profile of the remains seem to be getting closer to Tina.
_____

Gardaí investigating the discovery of a skull in east Cork have sent DNA samples for analysis to match against samples held in the Garda missing persons’ database in a bid to identify the remains.

Gardaí are now satisfied, following an initial postmortem examination by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster, that the skull belonged to a woman who was not older than 65 when she died.

They believe from discussions with forensic anthropologist Dr Lorraine Buckley of the State Pathologist’s Office that the remains were at the scene where they were found near Midleton for between one to five years.

Gardaí send samples from skull found in Cork for DNA analysis

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if Tina is no longer with us, that this is her and she can be given a proper burial and her family can have some answers.

Didn't her husband say that when he left the house the house that day, he took her up tea and toast and she was sitting in bed in her dressing gown? That might tie in with the clothing being part of a 'nightdress'. Hard to imagine she would have left the house in her nightclothes with 2 suitcases and a bag of money though. JMO

"Other items that have been recovered and are thought to relate to the remains are a crucifix on a chain and pieces of clothing believed to have once made up a dress."

I have trawled through as many pics of Tina as I can find and I can't see a crucifix in any of them. Has anyone else spotted anything of this nature? Of course this doesn't mean she never wore one.

"Other items that have been recovered and are thought to relate to the remains are a crucifix on a chain and pieces of clothing believed to have once made up a dress."

I have trawled through as many pics of Tina as I can find and I can't see a crucifix in any of them. Has anyone else spotted anything of this nature? Of course this doesn't mean she never wore one.

I haven't seen anything like that either. I think though, most of the photos are of Tina dressed up for occasions, so maybe she just wore regular jewellery then and a cross at other times. Her husband did say she took a chain with an angel on it from her neck and put it round his at some stage so she may have had other religious jewellery. JMO

I haven't seen anything like that either. I think though, most of the photos are of Tina dressed up for occasions, so maybe she just wore regular jewellery then and a cross at other times. Her husband did say she took a chain with an angel on it from her neck and put it round his at some stage so she may have had other religious jewellery. JMO

Yes, good points, and religious jewellery wouldn't be at all unusual in Ireland of course. I'm also wondering how connected to the remains the item is. Sounds like the remains are quite widely scattered (by animals I presume) and I've not seen any mention of a skull/torso being found (the jaw they thought they had turned out to be animal). I'm wondering if it's something that could have been lost or discarded by walker at some stage. I suppose I should assume they wouldn't be mentioning it in connection if it wasn't likely?

Yes, good points, and religious jewellery wouldn't be at all unusual in Ireland of course. I'm also wondering how connected to the remains the item is. Sounds like the remains are quite widely scattered (by animals I presume) and I've not seen any mention of a skull/torso being found (the jaw they thought they had turned out to be animal). I'm wondering if it's something that could have been lost or discarded by walker at some stage. I suppose I should assume they wouldn't be mentioning it in connection if it wasn't likely?

Sounds like they know it's connected to the remains.

If this is Tina and someone killed her and dumped her there, then they know for sure it's her so I wonder how they're feeling or what they're doing now?

JMO

I'd love to know the reactionand of Tina's husband right now.

They'd be very telling! IF it's her and IF he killed her - he'll be thinking 'well this is it, only a matter of time 'til I'm arrested'.

IF its her and he didn't kill her himself then he'll be desperate to know if it's her remains or not.

Sounds like they know it's connected to the remains.

If this is Tina and someone killed her and dumped her there, then they know for sure it's her so I wonder how they're feeling or what they're doing now?

JMO

Yeah but they also said the remains were 100 years old at the start! Healthy scepticism always useful.

I'm definitely leaning towards this being a homicide of some kind, given the nightdress (if that's accurate). It's not somewhere you'd go voluntarily without being dressed. Interesting we've not heard a peep from the husband yet. He was very chatty when they were doing that big search earlier on in the case.

Yeah but they also said the remains were 100 years old at the start! Healthy scepticism always useful.

I'm definitely leaning towards this being a homicide of some kind, given the nightdress (if that's accurate). It's not somewhere you'd go voluntarily without being dressed. Interesting we've not heard a peep from the husband yet. He was very chatty when they were doing that big search earlier on in the case.

It's quite an isolated area too, not really somewhere you'd get on foot in your jammies. However the person got there it must have been in a vehicle IMO

It's quite an isolated area too, not really somewhere you'd get on foot in your jammies. However the person got there it must have been in a vehicle IMO

Yep, driven up there and thrown her off the bridge, poor woman whoever she is. I suppose whoever did it will try to claim it was suicide though.

@Legally Bland ’s post today #326 has a quote which says a woman’s skull was found and is undergoing dna testing

Gardaí send samples from skull found in Cork for DNA analysis

The remains were found when a JCB driver went to level a one-metre high mound of earth and rubbish

They have now recovered almost an entire skeleton which they believe belongs to the woman as well as some clothing and a crucifix.

It's not clear if the remains were under this pile of earth and rubble but sounds like a burial site. JMO

Re: The skull... I read the jaw was an animal's, I may have conflated this to the whole skull in my own skull! Apols.

Re: One metre high mound of earth and rubbish... Ireland has a really terrible problem with fly tipping. There's no waste disposal service via the council like in the UK, each household has to contract privately with a waste firm for bin collections. It's very expensive (you could easily be paying €50 a month for a standard wheelie bin and a standard recycling bin). There are very few municipal waste centres and all (AFAIK) charge to take things: a major hassle if you've no van/trailer for example and expensive again. There are also a lot of chancers offering unlicensed waste removal services on Facebook groups (and likely other places) who charge people to take waste away then criminally dump it in the countryside. Consequently there's a lot of rubbish gets dumped into ditches, country lanes, and I'd imagine off the side of a bridge onto a disused railway would be a nice easy spot too. Whether the body was dumped with other material, or in the passage of time other material has been dumped on top of it, will remain to be seen. I wonder if an accumulation like that was instrumental in them initially thinking the remains were very old?

Does anyone know how easy it is or was to access that area? If it was popular with walkers for example, it wouldn't be a great place to bury someone anyway, too easily found by a person or dog.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back