Ironies... (?)

LOL,that's what mine did when we moved! They even hid the cleaning products from me,usually where I couldn't reach them when I did finally find em.LoL,that's what I get for having kids who are taller than me. (kids shouldn't be allowed to grow taller than their parents ...there should be a law against that or something! LOL).

Ain't that the truth...my 16 year old daughter is 5 feet, 9 inches. Three inches taller than me, and wears a shoe that is three sizes bigger than mine.

Hi Ames- glad to see you back. I wondered where you were. I'll be moving myself mid-July. What a chore. My husband is no help either. You know, if they can put a man on the moon-why can't they put them ALL up there?

Hi Ames- glad to see you back. I wondered where you were. I'll be moving myself mid-July. What a chore. My husband is no help either. You know, if they can put a man on the moon-why can't they put them ALL up there?
rofl...ain't that the truth!!

Wow a new house. How exciting is that!! Welcome back! You have been missed so much!!

I can see that they had to write the phrase over and over for the handwriting experts but what has that got to do with the eulogy That was written before they had them write it over and over again. Another odd lie of convenience!!

You have a point there coloradokares. I never thought of that.
I hope you are doing well.:)

Hi,
Glad to be back! Yes, moving is a real pain...and with my husbands job, we seem to be doing it quite a bit. I am just a little bit sick of it. I am the one that gets stuck with putting everything up.

LOL...I agree...it would probably cost NASA alot of money, but...I bet that they could do it....hmmmm.....not THAT'S and IDEA!!!!!!

Wow a new house. How exciting is that!! Welcome back! You have been missed so much!!

I can see that they had to write the phrase over and over for the handwriting experts but what has that got to do with the eulogy That was written before they had them write it over and over again. Another odd lie of convenience!!

Thanks CK...that means alot...I have missed you guys alot too! You all are like family to me, you know.

I'm almost embarrassed to post, being not as versed in the case as you all.
Hence doesn't seem rare to me, but using it with and is. Hence seems more common in a structure such as:
Hence, the car then struck a light pole.
or
Hence, the solution should be a light blue.

It seems archaic, not American English. It also seems like one of those words a student uses in an essay when he or she is proofreading, realizes he's used "therefore" a dozen times already, and hence, roots around in a thesaurus for a different synonym.
Was PR (or JR) fond of older English novels?

Hi PP! (Is it ok to shorten you to PP?) I don't know if you know or not but Patsy majored in Journalism in college. She was also very religious and read the bible a lot and I think hence is used in the bible quite a bit. Welcome to the board!

Hi PP! (Is it ok to shorten you to PP?) I don't know if you know or not but Patsy majored in Journalism in college. She was also very religious and read the bible a lot and I think hence is used in the bible quite a bit. Welcome to the board!

Fine to shorten me. Just not to PR.:)

I didn't even think of the King James Version of the Bible as a similarity. Of course a good Southern girl would have that version!
For some reason I'd recalled her as having majored in English. It's been a few years since I was really conversant on the JBR case. I've always thought she wrote the note, maybe with some input; and was trying to sound less educated than she was, what with the misspellings.

I didn't even think of the King James Version of the Bible as a similarity. Of course a good Southern girl would have that version!
For some reason I'd recalled her as having majored in English. It's been a few years since I was really conversant on the JBR case. I've always thought she wrote the note, maybe with some input; and was trying to sound less educated than she was, what with the misspellings.

Can I shorten your "hat" to PP, too?

Trixie is correct, Patsy was a Journalism Major, and I agree with you...I think that she wrote the note...and tried to dumb it down (so to speak). The RN author correctly spells attache....but, misspells business. One other thing, if you look closely at the RN, the word attache does NOT have an accent mark over the e...like this é, and neither does Patsy's when she was asked to give samples of her handwriting and had to write the RN (while it was being dictated to her). SOOOO.....Patsy AND the RN author BOTH leave off the accent mark on attaché....GEE...what a "coincidence". At first glance at the RN, it looks as if there is an accent mark, but, after I enlarged it, I could see plainly..as well as alot of other people...that the "accent mark" was actually the bottom part of another letter, that was written on the line above the one with the word attache.

I totally agree with that thought. PR was trying to sound less educated, especially with the misspellings. One things she did not succeed at was sounding "foreign". Nothing in that note sounded even remotely like a foreigner, foreign faction, or anything other than a female native-born English speaker with a strong familiarity with JR.

I totally agree with that thought. PR was trying to sound less educated, especially with the misspellings. One things she did not succeed at was sounding "foreign". Nothing in that note sounded even remotely like a foreigner, foreign faction, or anything other than a female native-born English speaker with a strong familiarity with JR.
I totally agree with that.I was thinking about that the other day when I got one of those fake lottery winning letters from overseas...the subject read: Congratulation! Congratulation! I didn't even have to open it to know that it *was from a foreigner! That's just so typical of the way they write.

And the handwriting alone had female written all over it! I know a woman's writing when I see it,let's just say I got good at that with my ex,LOL.There didn't even need to be any letters,the numbers alone were enough for me to tell,if he wasn't the one that wrote it.(unfortunately,I bet a lot of women have gotten good at that!)

I suppose this would be the ideal place to once again bring up my background in journalism as a measure for me to see the format for a news story or press release glowing all over the Ramsey RN.
Journalists learn a style of writing, the use of space, punctuation, numbers written as words or as the actual number.
The AP stylebook is the bible for writing for publication. The rules and regulation for certain ways to write numbers, times of day or whatever, are done usually to save space.
Also, one glaring give away is the use of a proofreader symbol in the RN.
I was a reporter for 22 years. I got so used to writing in the AP Style, everything, from a grocery list or a letter of mine appeared the same. Wide margarins, periods after certain initials or time spans are the rule for reporters or those who write for publications. Take a look at your local newspaper and you will see how the letters a.m. or p.m. are printed. Do they stand alone, or with periods behind each letter? Are number 1 through 9 written as words or numerials? How about amounts of money?
Because I'm familiar with the way a story is written using a typewriter or word processor, I find I apply that style to everything I write by hand, too.
However, often when I mention how my background lends me a knowledge of what to look for on who wrote something, I've been shamed and put down for my suggestions.
But I stick by my initial reaction to when I first saw the RN in print as it was penned. To me, the randsom note (letter) although not typed had the appearance of being written by someone familiar with writing for publication - a journalist or someone trained in newspaper or magazine style writing.
Go ahead make fun of my theory.
JMO

I suppose this would be the ideal place to once again bring up my background in journalism as a measure for me to see the format for a news story or press release glowing all over the Ramsey RN.
Journalists learn a style of writing, the use of space, punctuation, numbers written as words or as the actual number.
The AP stylebook is the bible for writing for publication. The rules and regulation for certain ways to write numbers, times of day or whatever, are done usually to save space.
I was a reporter for 22 years. I got so used to writing in the AP Style, everything, from a grocery list or a letter of mine appeared the same. Wide margarins, periods after certain initials or time spans are the rule for reporters or those who write for publications. Take a look at your local newspaper and you will see how the letters a.m. or p.m. are printed. Do they stand alone, or with periods behind each letter? Are number 1 through 9 written as words or numerials? How about amounts of money?
Because I'm familiar with the way a story is written using a typewriter or word processor, I find I apply that style to everything I write by hand, too.
However, often when I mention how my background lends me a knowledge of what to look for on who wrote something, I've been shamed and put down for my suggestions.
But I stick by my initial reaction to when I first saw the RN in print as it was penned. To me, the randsom note (letter) although not typed had the appearance of being written by someone familiar with writing for publication - a journalist or someone trained in newspaper or magazine style writing.
JMO

Not laughing here. I can recognize certain posters regardless of the hat they post under. So I can easily buy what you are saying regarding journalistic style.

JMO

not making fun of it at all.I agree,and I do think Patsy gave it away in DOI when she said she and JR sat down at the computer and each wrote a version of the liturgy,which they then merged together into one.(or rather,*she put the final version together from the 2 of them).But I do think parts of it appear to be dictated to her as well.Perhaps in putting together the final version,her helper threw in some last minute editing.
The RN is a made-up story,which they tried to cause to appear realistic,so that makes sense.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back