Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mob, not unlike the macabre scene in "Day of the Locust'' imo.

''Nov 30, 2023
Hamas hands over 21-year-old French-Israeli hostage Mia Shem and 40-year-old Amit Soussana to the Red Cross in Gaza City. Israel and Hamas agreed to extend by one more day a truce under which hostages are exchanged for Palestinian prisoners and aid flows into the war-devastated Gaza Strip''

I don't know what the dual citizenship with China is now. May have changed.
When I became a Canadian, I had to give up Dutch citizenship at the time, Netherlands did not allow dual. Later, I became a French citizen through marriage, then also a US citizen when I immigrated here. I have triple now. Later Netherlands changed their policy, so now if I wish I can regain that again.
I have Chinese friends here but have no idea if they're dual.

Please let Noa come home.

I don't think dual citizenship in principle exists, except for a few countries bound by special agreements. Logically, dual citizenship opens one up for internment should their country of birth and that of the citizenship declare war to one another. The last citizenship is the "true one". It is another thing that many countries don't make you formally renounce prior citizenship due to taxes or property reasons, but the legal view of the situation is complicated.

I see two versions:
a) Noa's mother could have not renounced her Chinese citizenship and is Chinese - possible, but not likely. More convenient would be for the mom to go through giyur (conversion to judaism) so that Noah could be the child of a Jewish mother. It is important because Israel is not a secular state. The opposite (Chinese father, Jewish mother) would not require conversion and could, in principle, exist.

Or, Noah's mother could convert to Judaism and still remain a Chinese citizen, but not likely as China is an atheist state.

However, the legalities are less important. Even if Noah is Israeli, politically it would still be nice to let her go. No doubt the citizens of China have seen her, and I suppose Chinese audience would be equally, if not more, moved by her plight. This is what matters.

But sadly, the fact that she is young and beautiful, was captured with her boyfriend and showed despair and fear to the captors, might have worked against her (((. Again, we should keep hope.

Last edited:

The Biden administration is facing growing internal dissent over its support for Israel’s military assault on Hamas in Gaza, reflecting a wider debate in American society and a generational divide among Democrats over the issue.

The extraordinary scope of the dissent inside the government, including statements in open letters from government employees, goes beyond anything seen in previous administrations dating back to the 1980s, including during the Iraq War and President Donald Trump’s restrictions on travel from mainly Muslim states, former officials said.

30 Nov

Youngest freed hostages like 'shadows of children' - Israeli doctor​

Matt Murphy
Live reporter, in Washington DC

[Video content at link]​

Video caption: Israeli hospital director: Hostages are ‘like shadows of children’

A senior Israeli doctor has told the BBC that some of the youngest hostages released from captivity by Hamas in recent days looked like "shadows of children" upon their arrival at hospital.

Dr Efrat Bron-Harlev, head of the Schneider Children's Medical Center in Tel Aviv, said 26 of the 100 or so hostages released so far had been taken to recover at her hospital. She told the BBC that while many had since been released from medical care, their recovery was proving to be a "painful process" - especially for younger hostages.

"I would say that when they come, they don't really look like children, I would say they would look more like shadows of children, kind of hollow children, they have no impression on their face," Bron-Harlev observed. "Not sad, not happy, just no impression, they hardly speak, very, very quiet. If they do speak, it's very, very quiet."

"Some of them are having a hard time getting up from a chair, you know, like little like older people that need some help while they get up from a chair."

Their experience of captivity in Gaza varied, Bron-Harlev said, noting that some hostages were kept in one location, while others were frequently on the move. All reported living under "very strict conditions" in captivity.

"It takes them quite a while to really believe that they are no longer in a place that might hurt them, that they're in a safe place," she said. "I don't think that there is a lot of experience around the world of so many children and families being in captivity... for such a long time, either as individuals or as a group."

49s ago
Here’s more around the Agence France-Presse report that Hamas has said it is willing to further extend the truce pausing fighting with Israel.

Israel had yet to respond, the news agency reports.

The current truce is due to expire early on Friday after a seven-day pause. US secretary of state Antony Blinken urged an extension after meeting with leaders in Israel and the occupied West Bank.

“Clearly, we want to see this process continue to move forward,” he told reporters in Tel Aviv.

We want an eighth day and beyond.

Israel “must put in place humanitarian civilian protection plans that minimise further casualties of innocent Palestinians”, he said, “including by clearly and precisely designating areas and places in southern and central Gaza, where they can be safe and out of the line of fire”.

International pressure has risen for a lasting halt to the war. The White House said it is “working on it literally by the hour” to try to extend the temporary ceasefire.

A source close to Hamas, who asked not to be named because they were not authorised to speak to the media, told AFP the Islamist movement was “willing to extend the truce”.

The source added:

The mediators are currently making strong, intense and continuous efforts for an additional day in the truce and then working to extend it again for other days,” the source said.

Posted at 22:3922:39

Today's Hamas hostages released to Israel​

In the last hour or so, six hostages have been released by Hamas and are back inside Israel. They are:
  • Shani Goren, 29
  • Nili Margalit, 41
  • Ilana Gritzewsky, 30
  • Sapir Cohen, 29
  • Bilal Zyadna, 18
  • Aisha Zyadna, 16
Earlier this afternoon, two others were also released:
  • Mia Shem, 21
  • Amit Soussana, 40
The Qatari foreign ministry confirmed today's overall tally of 10 hostages has been reached, because two Russian-Israeli dual-nationals released on Wednesday have been included in Thursday's count.

The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has released a statement welcoming the newly returned:

OK they let go Sapir Cohen, Sasha Trufanov's girlfriend. So the principle is obvious, they attack men and young women first.

I think HAMAS gave "Carte blanche" to its hoodlums initially, and now they'd like to release hostages, because they realized that they've bitten off too large of a piece. But the first days were so awful, that when all is said and done, we'll know of many sad stories.

I don't think dual citizenship in principle exists, except for a few countries bound by special agreements. Logically, dual citizenship opens one up for internment should their country of birth and that of the citizenship declare war to one another. The last citizenship is the "true one". It is another thing that many countries don't make you formally renounce prior citizenship due to taxes or property reasons, but the legal view of the situation is complicated.

Though citizenship is not always based on country of birth. For example, my DD attained British citizenship based on my father's British citizenship ... by descent. She has never even been to England.

My DD actually holds a British passport, and a US passport, and an Australian passport. Three "citizenships", one country of residence.

It seems that Israeli citizenship can be attained by being born there, or from the parents citizenship (descent), or through marriage, or by naturalisation ... and there are a couple of other ways, as stated in this link.

The Biden administration is facing growing internal dissent over its support for Israel’s military assault on Hamas in Gaza, reflecting a wider debate in American society and a generational divide among Democrats over the issue.

The extraordinary scope of the dissent inside the government, including statements in open letters from government employees, goes beyond anything seen in previous administrations dating back to the 1980s, including during the Iraq War and President Donald Trump’s restrictions on travel from mainly Muslim states, former officials said.

I saw an article earlier that said that Blinken is working hard to have Israel not perform such severe operations in south Gaza as it did in the north.

Blinken: You can’t operate in southern Gaza in the way you did in the north. There are two million Palestinians there. You need to evacuate fewer people from their homes, be more accurate in the attacks, not hit UN facilities, and ensure that there are enough protected areas [for civilians]. And if not? Then not to attack where there is a civilian population. What is your system of operation?

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant: The entire Israeli society is united behind the goal of dismantling Hamas, even if it takes months.

Blinken: I don’t think you have the credit for that.

Visibly emotional, the MP read aloud one of the last messages Abdelatif sent her: “I’m in deep pain, Phillipa. I lost my son Majd, his wife, and two of his children. My lovely daughter Dima – a WHO staff member – her husband, and her 5-month child. My little son Omar, 17 years. Only my wife Aya and our little daughter Lama are saved alive. I was at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, but over 45 persons, women, men, and children, were killed in my house – most of them still under the rubble. They were sheltering in my house, escaping from killing.”

Dr. Ibrahim Khadra, the chair of the Palestinian Community Scotland, also addressed the crowd, saying: “We have many Dimas. […] This is our story”. Dr. Ibrahim, whose children study at the University of Glasgow, said that he has lost over 72 family members since the outbreak of war on October 7.

Gerry O’Hare, the husband of Roseann Maguire, said he developed a close relationship with Dima’s family, as he worked with her father in Gaza. As a cancer nurse in Glasgow, he has worked with Medical Aid for Palestine (MAP) for the past 12 years to support breast cancer management. Gerry said: “Gaza can be quite a difficult place, but I immediately felt at home”. He is looking forward to returning to Gaza in the future to “rebuild what is left of the health service, which is virtually nothing”.

To pay their respects, some Glasgow University students participated in a prayer as part of the vigil. A number of students placed flowers on a banner of Dima and collected donations for MAP.

Glasgow University student Henry, 20, who attended the gathering, feels that the vigil was to honour Dima, “but it’s also for everyone else [who has been killed in Gaza]. We’re here for them as a show of humanity.”

As of 29 November 2023, the death toll in Gaza has surpassed 15,000 and over 1.7 million people in Gaza have been internally displaced. War broke out on 7 October 2023, after militant group Hamas attacked Israel, killing around 1,200 people and kidnapping 240 hostages.

Some Glasgow University students who attended the vigil told The Glasgow Guardian that they feel disappointed by what they perceive as the University’s limited response to Dima’s death. One UofG student said: “We hope that [University management] are able to honour her properly, in the same way that [Dima] honoured them, by being proud to be a student here.”

In the last text message Roseann received from Dima, the new mother hoped that “Abood, my little boy, lives to see better days”.

Last edited:
Israeli officials obtained Hamas’s battle plan for the Oct. 7 terrorist attack more than a year before it happened, documents, emails and interviews show. But Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan as aspirational, considering it too difficult for Hamas to carry out.

The approximately 40-page document, which the Israeli authorities code-named “Jericho Wall,” outlined, point by point, exactly the kind of devastating invasion that led to the deaths of about 1,200 people.

The translated document, which was reviewed by The New York Times, did not set a date for the attack, but described a methodical assault designed to overwhelm the fortifications around the Gaza Strip, take over Israeli cities and storm key military bases, including a division headquarters.

Hamas followed the blueprint with shocking precision. The document called for a barrage of rockets at the outset of the attack, drones to knock out the security cameras and automated machine guns along the border, and gunmen to pour into Israel en masse in paragliders, on motorcycles and on foot — all of which happened on Oct. 7.

The document circulated widely among Israeli military and intelligence leaders, but experts determined that an attack of that scale and ambition was beyond Hamas’s capabilities, according to documents and officials. It is unclear whether Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top political leaders saw the document, as well…

I am so happy that Aisha and her brother were released. I was concerned since she’s Muslim that she was being kept for nefarious reasons. It also shows to me with Hamas kidnapping her and her family and the Thai workers that this was not just about Israel and Jews, it was about terror.

I saw an article earlier that said that Blinken is working hard to have Israel not perform such severe operations in south Gaza as it did in the north.

Blinken: You can’t operate in southern Gaza in the way you did in the north. There are two million Palestinians there. You need to evacuate fewer people from their homes, be more accurate in the attacks, not hit UN facilities, and ensure that there are enough protected areas [for civilians]. And if not? Then not to attack where there is a civilian population. What is your system of operation?

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant: The entire Israeli society is united behind the goal of dismantling Hamas, even if it takes months.

Blinken: I don’t think you have the credit for that.

'A mass assassination factory': Inside Israel's calculated bombing of Gaza.

Permissive airstrikes on non-military targeted and the use of an artificial intelligence system have enabled the Israeli army to carry out its deadliest war on Gaza, a +972 and Local Call investigation reveals.

Compared to previous Israeli assaults on Gaza, the current war — which Israel has named “Operation Iron Swords,” and which began in the wake of the Hamas-led assault on southern Israel on October 7 — has seen the army significantly expand its bombing of targets that are not distinctly military in nature. These include private residences as well as public buildings, infrastructure, and high-rise blocks, which sources say the army defines as “power targets” (“matarot otzem”).
Several of the sources, who spoke to +972 and Local Call on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the Israeli army has files on the vast majority of potential targets in Gaza — including homes — which stipulate the number of civilians who are likely to be killed in an attack on a particular target. This number is calculated and known in advance to the army’s intelligence units, who also know shortly before carrying out an attack roughly how many civilians are certain to be killed.

“Nothing happens by accident,” said another source. “When a 3-year-old girl is killed in a home in Gaza, it’s because someone in the army decided it wasn’t a big deal for her to be killed — that it was a price worth paying in order to hit [another] target. We are not Hamas. These are not random rockets. Everything is intentional. We know exactly how much collateral damage there is in every home.”

Hyenas circling their prey. Disgusting.
IMO

Extra disgusting with those pro-P flag wavers supporting them in protests. :rolleyes:

ETA: Those protesters would have been a great deal more advantageous to their "free Palestine" rhetoric if they'd spent the last few years protesting terrorism.

imo

Last edited:
What a good man Mr Blinken is. And a brave one.

I didn't really know anything about him before.

And there is no-one who can say that he doesn't understand Israel's plight, or terrorism.
As well as being US Secretary of State, he is Jewish, and his stepfather's whole family was wiped out in the holocaust - except his stepfather who escaped.

How Tony Blinken’s Stepfather Changed the World—and Him

imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads