Italy’s Highest Appeals Court to Decide Amanda Knox’s Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
She was NOT acquitted. An appeal does not find guilt or innocence. A successful appeal is because the appeal court found something wrong with the trial verdict. It goes back to trial or the prosecution can decline to try again.

Therefore... the treaty does not apply to that. There is no double jeapordy because it is all part of ONE trial.

There is no final verdict until Italy's highest court says so. THAT is the only verdict which will matter to the extradition process, IMO. This process is to hold accountable the criminals who terrorized and brutally attacked and murdered Meredith Kercher.

This is NOT about Amanda Knox. It is about the victim Meredith Kercher.

There is no final verdict until Italy's highest court says so. THAT is the only verdict which will matter to the extradition process, IMO. This process is to hold accountable the criminals who terrorized and brutally attacked and murdered Meredith Kercher.

This is NOT about Amanda Knox. It is about the victim Meredith Kercher.

Exactly, it is about justice for MK. Destroying another two innocent lives does not equal justice for MK.

Read the above cnn article. There appears to be some international law and extradition attorneys who don't agree with your thought process on what verdict will matter.

If the conviction is upheld and the US marshalls arrest amanda, she will be going to Seatac and will not be granted bail.

I would love to see her be arrested live on TV like CA was.

jmo

Exactly, it is about justice for MK. Destroying another two innocent lives does not equal justice for MK.

Read the above cnn article. There appears to be some international law and extradition attorneys who don't agree with your thought process on what verdict will matter.

Amanda and Raf destroyed their own lives by their numerous lies etc.

The American press is baised. Almost all of it is pro Amanda. That's why I don't trust CNN, Fox news etc.

MOO

She was NOT acquitted. An appeal does not find guilt or innocence. A successful appeal is because the appeal court found something wrong with the trial verdict. It goes back to trial or the prosecution can decline to try again.

Therefore... the treaty does not apply to that. There is no double jeapordy because it is all part of ONE trial.

I believe you're correct. Even here in the U.S. when a court of appeal reverses the conviction..the defendant can be retried again for the same offense...it's not considered double jeopardy.

Reprosecution After Reversal on Defendant's Appeal .--Generally, a defendant who is successful in having his conviction set aside on appeal may be tried again for the same offense, the assumption being made in the first case on the subject that, by appealing, a defendant has ''waived'' his objection to further prosecution by challenging the original conviction. 117 Although it has char acterized the ''waiver'' theory as ''totally unsound and indefensible,'' 118 the Court has been hesitant in formulating a new theory in maintaining the practice. 119

http://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment5/annotation05.html

I don't mind them being pro-American... just for goodness sake get the facts right. No double or triple trials. It is like having a foreign correspondent commenting on what the US needs to/will do.

If you kill someone in another country... THOSE laws and verdicts are the ones that apply.

Amanda is lucky that Italy does not have LIPWP or the death penalty.
Plus, her cell is a lot bigger than the ones here.

IIRC, her jail cell even had it's own kitchen area etc.

I don't mind them being pro-American... just for goodness sake get the facts right. No double or triple trials. It is like having a foreign correspondent commenting on what the US needs to/will do.

If you kill someone in another country... THOSE laws and verdicts are the ones that apply.

I don't think they want to get the facts right.

It's a shame that my own country is pro Amanda when they should be Pro Meredith.

exactly! I think a lot of ppl are either confused about how the laws work in Italy or people don't want to hear it.

JMo

Well, IMO she looked her best and happiest when she was in there. She rocked out at a concert and had plenty of visitors.

She doesn't look well at all IMO now. Stress can be a real downer.

Amanda and Raf destroyed their own lives by their numerous lies etc.

The American press is baised. Almost all of it is pro Amanda. That's why I don't trust CNN, Fox news etc.

MOO

So in other words you refuse to look at any other evidence other than what the corrupt Italian prosecutor made up? That's your choice. But imagine for just a second the possibility that they are innocent and the living hell that would accompany that. I would rather be dead and I would absolutely flee the country if extradition was a possibility.
I don't think you quite understand the level of corruption that we are dealing with here.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2010/01/31/news/amanda-knox-head-prosecutor-charged-abuse-power

This is like the mafia running the justice system. Literally.

If the conviction is upheld and the US marshalls arrest amanda, she will be going to Seatac and will not be granted bail.

I would love to see her be arrested live on TV like CA was.

jmo

Never going to happen. Too many DNA experts have cast many valid doubts on the investigation.

Never going to happen. Too many DNA experts have cast many valid doubts on the investigation.

The only DNA experts that cast doubt were at the appeal that has been completely squashed. It was annulled.

Are you meaning DNA 'groupies', experts in other fields, in other countries, or what?

Saying corrupt prosecutor is a no-go on legitimate conversation regarding this case. You realize there were two prosecutors at the original trial, right?
Is it the corrupt prosecutor
Is it there was no evidence
Is it there is double jeapardy
Is it planting of evidence
Is it LE making mistakes
Is it witness lying
Is it medieval Italy

You can't have it every which-a-way. You could flee... but you would/will likely be caught.

Saying corrupt prosecutor is a no-go on legitimate conversation regarding this case. You realize there were two prosecutors at the original trial, right?
Is it the corrupt prosecutor
Is it there was no evidence
Is it there is double jeapardy
Is it planting of evidence
Is it LE making mistakes
Is it witness lying
Is it medieval Italy

You can't have it every which-a-way. You could flee... but you would/will likely be caught.

No-go? Lol, so not allowed to talk about a convicted criminal? Okie dokie then....

And the answer to your questions is:
All of the above

There is no doubt that the prosecutor was and is corrupt. That is a fact.
There is no doubt that they were acquitted.
So now we have a court who wants to go back and get another bite of the pie.
It would be one thing if they were found guilty and guilty but to acquit them and then go back and try and reverse that, is slimy. I know that is their system but it is not one that protects the citizen it protects the government.
I hope that if they reverse this the US keeps her here.

RBBM

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm not familiar with where she was housed but as a general rule, European prisons are usually much more rehabilitative than they are punitive.

Do you didn't read #RaffaeleSollecito's appeal doc.He argues #AmandaKnox's confession puts her at crime scene and him at home.
(#amandaknox twitter- someone replied to someone else and this is what they said).

Yet he lies again. Go Figure!

There is no doubt that the prosecutor was and is corrupt. That is a fact.
There is no doubt that they were acquitted.
So now we have a court who wants to go back and get another bite of the pie.
It would be one thing if they were found guilty and guilty but to acquit them and then go back and try and reverse that, is slimy. I know that is their system but it is not one that protects the citizen it protects the government.
I hope that if they reverse this the US keeps her here.

:) Yeah, even if a prosecutor is corrupt it means all the judges will agree with him. Go figure.

:) Acquitted??? Have you read any of the previous pages? Acquitted at an appeal? That is a new one for me.

:) It is the same trial so there is no 'bite' to get.

:) This may read better: GUILTY/ Appeal Successful/ GUILTY again === Supreme Court Confirms or doesn't. ONE trial.

Take a look at the Jason Young thread... same kind of thing happens here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot