Italy’s Highest Appeals Court to Decide Amanda Knox’s Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back after a BD party, and just.... speechless.
Wow.
This is why I was so nervous, and then when it took so long... Just, wow.

Well. Let's hope this will not come back to haunt the world at large in some fashion.

I wonder if this was not more political in nature than anything.

Again, Meredith in the end it's all about you. I'll try and forget their names and remember yours only.

I wonder how many other people in Italy have been wrongfully convicted in similar way. I hope all of these cases are given automatic appeal.

Well done then! I suppose that the Italian courts are no longer corrupt ... they never were, but hopefully the verdict will quell any continuing fears that Italians are falsely imprisoned, their scientists are bumbling fools ... medieval, backwards, so on ... but that Italy is recognized as upholders of justice after making very, careful decisions - which take time. Eight years is a long time to get it right, but if Knox and Sollecito had not lied to police about so many things, maybe it would be different.

Forgive me for a wandering mind, but my first thoughts go to ... how can we make it up to her given that for 8 years she has been essentially persecuted. Maybe we could ask Amanda Knox to set up an A. Knox Creative Writing scholarship at her alma mater, or Meredith's, and we can give back.

Now is the time to write the real story. A story told with an ending sounds entirely different than a story told without one. She should take her millions, move to a quiet island, and write without anyone checking her work, and re-phrasing her words. Today, she has a story to tell, and she should start using her degree.

I think that the Italian Justice system has some serious issues. The length of time is only one issue illustrated in this case. The laws against calunnia have a chilling effect on journalists. I hope that they can make progress on these things.

I wonder how many other people in Italy have been wrongfully convicted in similar way. I hope all of these cases are giben automatic appeal.

Not just Italy, but everywhere, no country is immune to prosecutorial misconduct, I'm just very glad the higher courts have rectified this situation.

Not just Italy, but everywhere, no country is immune to prosecutorial misconduct, I'm just very glad the higher courts have rectified this situation.

Exactly. Miscarriages of justice happen everywhere, but you can judge the underlying strength of a criminal justice system by how they deal with them, and how quickly. On that score Italy compares well to the US and the UK - Knox and Sollecito were released after four years, acquitted after eight. Compare that to the Guildford Four, for example, or the case of Earl Washington Jr.

Yep, and her upcoming trial in June for police slander.

I hope she is found guilty of those and sent to italian prison for at least a little while. jmo

as i understand, slander is not an extradictable offence. plus, the statute of limitations has worn out as considered by US law.

she was in an italian prison for a little while... 4 years to be exact.

CNN about to air something about the verdict. went into commercial saying they would have a statement from AK, so maybe they are just going to read her statement. maybe not.

Which will be morally repugnant is she tries to profit from this.

The woman spent 4 years in prison for a crime she didn't commit...I don't blame her one bit if she profits from it and profits big. No one can give her those 4 years back, or make up for what she went through.

:tyou: Yes ... I really really feel for the Kercher's !

OMG ... the Kercher's KNOW that AK and RS were involved !

No, they were led to believe they were from the beginning by the corrupt investigators and prosecutors. Luckily, the man who did commit the crime is sitting in prison and has been convicted. That should give them peace. Too bad the Italian prosecutors gave him a reduced sentence so they could try to save face and continue with their prosecution of AK and RS.

I am really really glad for AK and RS. I believe this is the correct decision. I am so sorry for the loss of Meredith but I believe they got justice when they got Rudy.

Yep, and her upcoming trial in June for police slander.

I hope she is found guilty of those and sent to italian prison for at least a little while. jmo

That is a riot.. Slander on the police? They have got to be kidding.

I think that the Italian Justice system has some serious issues. The length of time is only one issue illustrated in this case. The laws against calunnia have a chilling effect on journalists. I hope that they can make progress on these things.

BBM this murder happened in November of 2007 and is now resolved.
Travis Alexander was murdered June of 2008 and we don't even have a sentence in her original trial yet, much less appeals.
I wouldn't be passing judgement on the length of time this has taken.

BBM this murder happened in November of 2007 and is now resolved.
Travis Alexander was murdered June of 2008 and we don't even has a sentence in her original trial yet, much less appeals.
I wouldn't be passing judgement on the length of time this has taken.

Aint that the truth.. Again it is too long for any case but one would expect it in a foreign country with a different judicial system. I just need JA locked up in PRISON. No more jail for her. I can not wait until her sentencing.

I think from now on, the ECHR ruling won't really be important for any implications to Amanda Knox's life, but for the precedent it sets for the rights of European citizens. That includes me, (I'm from Ireland), and if my memory serves me correctly, it also includes you. Its in both our interests that any abuse of her rights is punished by the ECHR.

Agree. The issue relates to her confinement, treatment, and statements she gave immediately after her arrest. There is the issue of the voluntary statement which many have interpreted as a confirmation of her first statement. Will the ECHR rule that her voluntary statement was made under duress, or that she was treated badly and consequently provided the voluntary statement confirming allegations against Mr Lumumba?

If so, what can the ECHR award, or is it about ensuring that processes change to protect people in that situation in the future?

No, they were led to believe they were from the beginning by the corrupt investigators and prosecutors. Luckily, the man who did commit the crime is sitting in prison and has been convicted. That should give them peace. Too bad the Italian prosecutors gave him a reduced sentence so they could try to save face and continue with their prosecution of AK and RS.

BBM
This is a total mis truth, I guess that will only continue.

RG opted for a fast track trial which gives an automatic reduced sentence. It is a right afforded to everyone, as there are no plea deals in Italy.

Agree. The issue relates to her confinement, treatment, and statements she gave immediately after her arrest. There is the issue of the voluntary statement which many have interpreted as a confirmation of her first statement. Will the ECHR rule that her voluntary statement was made under duress, or that she was treated badly and consequently provided the voluntary statement confirming allegations against Mr Lumumba?

If so, what can the ECHR award, or is it about ensuring that processes change to protect people in that situation in the future?

Its mainly about protecting the rest of us from that situation in the future, but they can also award her compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member