Italy - Beau Solomon, 19, UW student, Rome, 30 June 2016 *Arrest*

This quote from Galioto's lawyer: "Solomon tried to swim back a couple of times but he disappeared into the water quickly," Vincelli said, adding that this part of the Tiber is full of rapids and rocks."

Here is the route he was alleged to have taken "chasing the North African robbers" to end up at the bridge:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/G+BAR,+Rome,+Metropolitan+City+of+Rome,+Italy/41.8917891,12.4746841/@41.8913994,12.4694319,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m10!4m9!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f604764ed72fb:0x376ebdcf5a0a3f58!2m2!1d12.4685571!2d41.8904138!1m0!3e2!4e1

Nothing is impossible I suppose...... but did he really try to chase down 2 robbers for nearly 1/2 mile while supposedly "stumbling drunk" and then fall into the river on his own after picking a fight with a group of homeless people...... who then watched him struggle and drown..... and went back to sleep?

The skinny guy might be very "wiry" - no fat, all muscle and much stronger than might be expected. Homeless people on the street survive by having and displaying strengths that those who don't don't possess. He might be very well used to protecting what little he has against other street people or to taking theirs from them. He might also be very used to roughing up tourists who are in the wrong place and seem vulnerable.

Good point- and I think you are right. One of the photos in the Daily Mail link shows him with his shirt off. He does look skinny, but also muscular. Even still, I think a 200(+) pound athelete in a contact sport would have been hard for him to handle alone.

Also good point about the possibility of him being accustomed to violence. Years ago, I worked around prisoners and also around a certain number of homeless. I noticed that normal people, even those physically fit, needed to "build into" or slowly escalate a fight as they are not accustomed to violence. Prisoners and some homeless, however, could "explode" into fighting mode in seconds. There was no natural hesitation, or slowly escalating force with them. As you alluded to, my bet is that being exposed to violence alot reduced their natural aversion to using it.

How is it that a shirt ends up "blood-stained" while submerged in water? If indeed he sustained a large head wound after a fall into the river, it seems highly unlikely his shirt would be full of blood. This whole thing reeks of similarities the Andrew Mogni case....... and even the Durkin case before that. All 3 young men were star athletes, finance or economics majors, and their actions on their last night alive were totally out of character according to family and friends......
Excellent point, there would be no blood. Sound like the current is much like a washing machine agitator and cold water wouldn't let a stain set. The blood would have had to have dried IMO, in order to stain. Speaking only from my experience with raising boys and washing clothes.

Also good point about the possibility of him being accustomed to violence. Years ago, I worked around prisoners and also around a certain number of homeless. I noticed that normal people, even those physically fit, needed to "build into" or slowly escalate a fight as they are not accustomed to violence. Prisoners and some homeless, however, could "explode" into fighting mode in seconds. There was no natural hesitation, or slowly escalating force with them. As you alluded to, my bet is that being exposed to violence alot reduced their natural aversion to using it.

It looks like he indeed has experience. I hadn't noticed this before in the Daily Mail article:

"(Galioto), A former soldier who served in Somalia, he was raised on the outskirts of the city in a good family.
They then moved to a big villa on the Via Appia. Following his military service, he returned to Rome where he married and became a fishmonger."

Thanks oasis72, Bingo!!! Elainera and Hatfield: John Durkin was at the same bar, Sloppy Sam's.
"The missing student was last seen at a bar, Sloppy Sam’s, in Rome’s Campo del Fiori neighborhood. Friends say they went out to the bar and lost Durkin at some point during the night. Reports say he was last seen at 1:30 a.m.

The neighborhood of Campo del Fiori is famous among Roman residents, a boisterous drunkin’ zone, that’s regarded as off-limits for soccer supporters visiting the city."

http://heavy.com/news/2014/02/bates-college-student-missing-rome-john-durkin/
Scroll down to number 3. Thanks.

I'm agreeing with Hatfield that this is perhaps intentional, organized and planned. Wasn't the other young man, Andrew Mogni, at the same bar too? I wonder how many other countries lose students/tourists in the same area and we just haven't included them? An earlier article reported that wallets and purses are routinely found in the Tiber River. To John Durkin's family, it probably looked like a tragic accident. But authorities couldn't ID John Durkin for several days due to lack of ID in his possession. I don't know any student who goes out without an ID or cell phone. It's quite possible that the student target is slipped something in a bar and when staggering out, they are guided to a mug zone.
Or the vulture(s) await any student leaving that looks somewhat inebriated.

Is this true? Because if it is, this is no small thing. It would like mean he was a suspect in the Andrew Mogni case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nken-riverside-brawl-ended-teen-drowning.html
Coquette's post brought forward.

"The homeless man accused of killing an American student in Rome following a drunken scuffle on the banks of the River Tiber was the suspect in a similar case a year ago but was never charged.

Massimo Galioto, 40, who was arrested on Tuesday for manslaughter after the body of Beau Solomon was found in the Tiber, was a suspect after a man fell into the water right beside the Ponte Garibaldi.

Federico Carnicci fell into the Tiber on July 7, 2015, after a fight, and although there were no witnesses, Galioto was a suspect for a while. The case is now closed and no-one was convicted."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-brawl-ended-teen-drowning.html#ixzz4DjfxssXL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Does anyone know what particular pub or square Andrew Mogni was in? Thanks.

"The homeless man accused of killing an American student in Rome following a drunken scuffle on the banks of the River Tiber was the suspect in a similar case a year ago but was never charged.

Massimo Galioto, 40, who was arrested on Tuesday for manslaughter after the body of Beau Solomon was found in the Tiber, was a suspect after a man fell into the water right beside the Ponte Garibaldi.

Federico Carnicci fell into the Tiber on July 7, 2015, after a fight, and although there were no witnesses, Galioto was a suspect for a while. The case is now closed and no-one was convicted."

Lawyers apply to reopen Federico Carnicci case from 2015:

http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/201...n-27enne-morto-nel-tevere-un-anno-fa/2888246/

Does anyone know what particular pub or square Andrew Mogni was in? Thanks.

So......in searching for the location that Andrew Mogni fell, I found this short article about an unnamed 22 year old German who fell to his death on June 4th, 2015... just a few months after Andrew Mogni. This location is only steps from where Beau was killed and is apparently exactly where Mogni was found. (I also find it odd that the link provided to the Mogni case uses the same photo of the area...)

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/body-of-22-year-old-german-found-by-tiber/

Thanks everyone for all the updates. I hope authorities arrest all involved. This link may have been shared already. It sure has some eye opening statements and I sure don't believe a lot of what the homeless person or his girlfriend is saying.

I find it quite interesting in quite a few spots.

"Galioto had been previously been a suspect in a similar case 12 months ago when Federico Carnicci fell into the Tiber.
"

Here we have the old cell phone battery died excuse

"She added that she didn't call police because her phone battery was flat.
"

This part is interesting. So according to her the other people "accompanied him down the steps". Sounds like the robbery had not even happened yet as they went down the steps toward where their tent is. Luring him down there towards the tent IMO

"She said Solomon was drunk, and had been accompanied down the stairs to the riverbank by two North Africans who had robbed him.
"

I really wonder if the African people had alerted the homeless person and his GF in the tent that they were coming and the African people would rob people right near their tent and then he would jump out of tent and act like a blocker and even force a fight if he has to claiming "why you bumping into me man" or something like that. It allows the African people to get away and maybe they get a cut later.

"'He could barely stand on his feet. He ran into Max [Massimo], who came out of his tent
"

And I agree with others that if he went right into the water immediately then there should not have been this

"clothing was badly bloodstained"

And then the president of the school sounds like he really cares about the welfare of students

""He said: 'Nightlife is nightlife. It's not up to the president of John Cabot University to do an evaluation of the dangers of Rome's nightlife, it's up to judicial authorities.' "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-River-Tiber-wasn-t-one-bank-time-pushed.html

This part is interesting. So according to her the other people "accompanied him down the steps". Sounds like the robbery had not even happened yet as they went down the steps toward where their tent is. Luring him down there towards the tent IMO

"She said Solomon was drunk, and had been accompanied down the stairs to the riverbank by two North Africans who had robbed him."
That struck me as odd right away. It's almost 1/2 a mile from G Bar to the bridge. He has no reason to follow them unless he has already been robbed, yet she is claiming the robbery took place after he "accompanied them down the stairs". If he was "staggering or stumbling drunk" as she claims, there's no way he chased these guys that far.

Total opinion and/or speculation here based on what i know of him personally and the hundreds of articles I've combed over in the last few days:

*At some point in the late evening, he's drugged in some way.... starts feeling ill.... pays his bill and tells his roommate he's headed to the restroom.... The robbers likely offer to help him get home (maybe they chatted him up earlier so he trusts them somewhat).

*They lead him over the Ponte Sisto bridge and rough him up... take his phone, credit card, ID, etc. They bash him in the head causing the head injury which would likely cause him to stagger (or appear drunk) and causing the extensive blood stains on his clothes.

*They lead him down the stairs to these homeless junkies..... who are possibly just involved in cleaning up the crime scene/tossing out evidence and making sure he doesn't get out of the water (maybe in exchange for drugs or cash)

*The robbers leave with his cash, credit cards, phone, and any other valuables.... and leave the rest of the worthless belongings for the junkies to get rid of... (His body ended up in an area where many stolen items end up after floating in the river.... purses, etc.)

*And finally the junkies shove him in the water when he's to the point of passing out from blood loss/drugging and let him drown....

Again, all speculation, but this is the only plausible scenario I can envision. I can't see any reason he would chase robbers or follow anyone voluntarily for that distance all alone and leave his roommate alone in the bar.

Finally, after looking at the history of deaths/muggings in this area.... I wonder why the only targets are young men... why no women? One would think that if the motive was simple robbery then women would be targeted as well..... And what's more sinister..... why are these young men killed or left for dead after they are simply robbed? Could it be so the criminals can operate in the same area without ever being identified?

*And finally the junkies shove him in the water when he's to the point of passing out from blood loss/drugging and let him drown....

Though I think you have a well thought out scenario, I think something worse happened:

I dont think his blood loss would have been to the extent that it would directly contribute to his death. Likewise, I am willing to bet that the victim knew how to swim at least at an average level, and quite possibly rather well. Then factor in that he played football and was less likely to go into momentary mental shock while being assaulted (I have seen this happen).

Even the perpetrator's statement acknowledges he knew how to swim to a degree. In short, unless the Tiber is fast moving cold river, I think these criminals deliberately drowned him. Here is another possible scenario:

- The two Moroccans are informed by an accomplice at the bar that he is drugged. They initiate their usual plan, lead him to the bridge where he is mugged. Perhaps they intend to throw him over the bridge. Beau fights back and drives them off. The Morrocans flee with his wallet under the bridge to the lair of their accomplice / stolen property fence.

- Beau still has fighting spirit and chases them. Under the bridge, all three turn on him. Beau is over powered, pushed into the river by the homeless accomplice, then prevented from climbing out.

I don't think there was preplanning in this. There may be a connection between the muggers and this homeless guy, but I think what happened is that he fought back more than expected and the jerks robbing him were annoyed that some young kid who was more and had more than they'd ever have in life was pushing back. Throwing him over was a response to that, because these jerks have zero regard for human life and other people. They gained nothing from him dying. Drinking and a head wound can prevent a swim to safety.

I doubt he was drugged. I just don't see any reason to do that. There's pickpockets and muggers all around, and a gang of criminals could instantly surround anyone, knock them over the head, and rob them. They don't need to go through the time, expense, and planning of drugging someone. I've been drugged once, and the result (for me anyway) was very different. I became confused and disoriented very quickly but the real effect was for me to fall into the deepest sleep of my life a couple hours after I drank it. I don't see the incentive of using it to mug someone as the time and effort that takes could be used to mug someone else. Why drug someone and follow them when overly drunk students with the same full wallets this kid had are around for the picking?

I know there's a reluctance to believe he was drunk, but keep in mind one may not behave the same there as they do here - especially alone. I'm a very light drinker here and extremely responsible. If something happened to me in Europe, my friends and family would all say I wouldn't have ever walked around drunk in public. In actuality, while in Europe, I drank frequently, went home with locals, walked miles drunk with people I'd met in hostels hours previously, and was a completely different person. When I'd return home, I was my normal very responsible self. I think the reluctance is because of the implication that somehow that makes him more responsible for what happened, and I couldn't disagree with the sentiment more. He shouldn't have to walk around sober all the time assuming he will get beaten, mugged, and thrown in a river so he can maintain sobriety to swim. Plenty of sober people are mugged daily in Europe too. This could have ended the same way if he hadn't touched a single drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope that John Durkin's family are aware of these developments. Their last memory is that their son went out, drank too much and staggered into the path of an oncoming train when I believe it was another orchestrated mugging and potentially a homicide. I also think that it's hinky that no females are targeted. I think there'd be more to the investigation. People are more willing to accept a young man getting a little too schnockered and falling into a river or walking into the path of a train.

I doubt he was drugged. I just don't see any reason to do that. There's pickpockets and muggers all around, and a gang of criminals could instantly surround anyone, knock them over the head, and rob them. They don't need to go through the time, expense, and planning of drugging someone. I've been drugged once, and the result (for me anyway) was very different. I became confused and disoriented very quickly but the real effect was for me to fall into the deepest sleep of my life a couple hours after I drank it. I don't see the incentive of using it to mug someone as the time and effort that takes could be used to mug someone else. Why drug someone and follow them when overly drunk students with the same full wallets this kid had are around for the picking?

Good points all around... I spoke at length to Beau's best friend today for the first time since last weekend. A couple observations from our conversation....

*He stated that he could not imagine Beau following anyone out of the bar and leaving his roommate at the bar alone.
*He confirmed that Beau was a light drinker..... In the few times they had drinks this year, he never had more than 2 or 3 beers. (Of course this does not mean he didn't consume more on the night he arrived in Rome... it would just be out of character.)
*He stated that Beau was always very concerned about appearance.....always wore nice clothes/watch/etc. (Which could be why he was targeted...)
*He also said that it would not be a surprise if Beau fought back against a robbery or chased someone who grabbed his wallet...

The questions that he couldn't answer or even speculate on are the following:

Why did he and his roommate stay behind at the bar when the others left? And why did he leave the bar abruptly and head to the Ponte-Sisto bridge, which is not on the way back to the campus of John Cabot University?

Who are the other people supposedly with him in the CCTV video evidence?

And finally, why are his clothes so bloodstained if he sustained the injuries in moving water? It is very possible, Cryptic, that you are right and he was intentionally drowned....

** The Daily Beast isn't holding back much..... http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/08/someone-is-targeting-american-students-abroad.html

Good points all around... I spoke at length to Beau's best friend today for the first time since last weekend. A couple observations from our conversation....

*He stated that he could not imagine Beau following anyone out of the bar and leaving his roommate at the bar alone.
*He confirmed that Beau was a light drinker..... In the few times they had drinks this year, he never had more than 2 or 3 beers. (Of course this does not mean he didn't consume more on the night he arrived in Rome... it would just be out of character.)
*He stated that Beau was always very concerned about appearance.....always wore nice clothes/watch/etc. (Which could be why he was targeted...)
*He also said that it would not be a surprise if Beau fought back against a robbery or chased someone who grabbed his wallet...

The questions that he couldn't answer or even speculate on are the following:

Why did he and his roommate stay behind at the bar when the others left? And why did he leave the bar abruptly and head to the Ponte-Sisto bridge, which is not on the way back to the campus of John Cabot University?

Who are the other people supposedly with him in the CCTV video evidence?

And finally, why are his clothes so bloodstained if he sustained the injuries in moving water? It is very possible, Cryptic, that you are right and he was intentionally drowned....

** The Daily Beast isn't holding back much..... http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/08/someone-is-targeting-american-students-abroad.html

Good article and worth the read. So John Durkin was likely dead before the train hit him. This all stinks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15
Back