Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a small earthquake here in CO last night. I always believed we didn't really have fault lines, and where pretty much "earthquake proof" Guess I was wrong, and this japan quake, and nuclear crisis, and everything else that has gone wonky in the last few years, I believe life as we knew it gone, and major changes are underway for Mother Earth :twocents:

Heard a Dr, on Megyn Kelly saying how little radiation in Washington milk is no biggy. Even if the worst case scenario happened and there was a big radation cloud it still wouln't be a big deal. He claimed that was everyone's fear after Chernobyl and there is no proof that cancer rates went up in Europe.(is that true?). He did say he would be concerned if he lived close by in Japan.
I'm sorry,but I just think ingesting any radiation isn't good.

WOnder how much he got paid to say that? Go to Youtube, search "children of Chernobyl" or "Children of Belarus"...then tell me that radiation from Chernobyl caused no ill effects. I dare ya, doc. :twocents: (Not aimed at you hockeymom, but at the doctor that had the lack of brains to say it in the first place.)

Heard a Dr, on Megyn Kelly saying how little radiation in Washington milk is no biggy. Even if the worst case scenario happened and there was a big radation cloud it still wouln't be a big deal. He claimed that was everyone's fear after Chernobyl and there is no proof that cancer rates went up in Europe.(is that true?). He did say he would be concerned if he lived close by in Japan.
I'm sorry,but I just think ingesting any radiation isn't good.

We all absorb radiation all the time, hm. It comes from the sun, mostly, but there are other sources.

So the issue is always how much is enough and how much is too much.

That being said, I think we all share your concern that what is happening in Japan is "too much" in a number of ways.

Found this about the pets over in Japan..

http://www.clickorlando.com/family/27317860/detail.html

I wonder how many of the surviving animals have radiation poisoning :(

It breaks my heart :(

Agreed. This should serve as a reminder to all of us to have disaster plans that provide for our pets. In my house, it is well understood that if we have to evacuate quickly after an earthquake, my husband grabs the strongbox full of essential documents; I grab the cat.

(For the record, I don't mean this as a reproach to Japanese tsunami victims who weren't able to protect their dogs and cats. I think we all know many pet owners didn't survive the flooding, and those who did may not have had time to grab an animal as they fled.

I also understand that animals react to danger, too, and it may be difficult to get hold of an animal during an emergency. I'm hopeful with my current cat: he runs to me in an earthquake; but my previous cat immediately disappeared under the nearest furniture.)

Our cat would be ok he follows us like a dog, and the dogs would be ok... but we've always worried about our parrot... she wouldn't willingly come to us and if we reached into her cage to grab her and stuff her into a dog crate.. we'd be eaten alive, she's moody. :(
I fear in a fire or a tornado we'd lose our Hailey :(

AMIDST mounting international concern over Japan's nuclear disaster at the tsunami-crippled Fukushima power station on the country's northeast coast, a 140-member US military team on radiation control will arrive in Japan shortly to help local authorities deal with the growing emergency.
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,432911,00.html
Other tidbits throughout the article too.

AMIDST mounting international concern over Japan's nuclear disaster at the tsunami-crippled Fukushima power station on the country's northeast coast, a 140-member US military team on radiation control will arrive in Japan shortly to help local authorities deal with the growing emergency.
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,432911,00.html
Other tidbits throughout the article too.

Strangely, I can't access this link, or site, even from google. :waitasec:

I'm sure our troops will be well protected from the radiation. I hope to heck they bring in some fresh water and food!

When our house burned down in '05, I never even thought about it-I opened our macaw cage, grabbed a parrot, rolled it in a blanket, handed it to one of my kids running out the door, opened the other cage and rolled the other macaw in a blanket, and ran out with her. I ran back in and got our conure in her cage and ran out. My dogs followed me out-they shadow me everywhere. We lost everything else, but no people or animals were injured. I always kept a blanket on their cage to cover them with, and grabbed it without even thinking about it. I think the birds either were shocked, or sensed the danger-they didn't protest or bite. We know keep spare cages on our porch in the event of another emergency and having to vacate quickly-the trauma never fades away, simply makes you more cautious and protective. (We lost the original cages and had to purchase new ones-and macaw cages aren't cheap..) The only thing then was running to fresh air was safe-it may not be that way some day if the air is radioactive....

When our house burned down in '05, I never even thought about it-I opened our macaw cage, grabbed a parrot, rolled it in a blanket, handed it to one of my kids running out the door, opened the other cage and rolled the other macaw in a blanket, and ran out with her. I ran back in and got our conure in her cage and ran out. My dogs followed me out-they shadow me everywhere. We lost everything else, but no people or animals were injured. I always kept a blanket on their cage to cover them with, and grabbed it without even thinking about it. I think the birds either were shocked, or sensed the danger-they didn't protest or bite. We know keep spare cages on our porch in the event of another emergency and having to vacate quickly-the trauma never fades away, simply makes you more cautious and protective. (We lost the original cages and had to purchase new ones-and macaw cages aren't cheap..) The only thing then was running to fresh air was safe-it may not be that way some day if the air is radioactive....

YOu have no idea how much better you made me feel :) Thank you a thousand times over!

Cages are not cheap. You have my sympathies... hailey's was over $800 she's a molluccan cockatoo so about the same size as your macaws :)
She's a rescue so her mood is iffy a lot :)

I'm so glad you all including pets made it out safe and sound!!!

Crews 'facing 100-year battle' at Fukushima

Quote: A nuclear expert has warned that it might be 100 years before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.

The warning came as levels of radioactive iodine flushed into the sea near the plant spiked to a new high and the Wall Street Journal said it had obtained disaster response blueprints which said the plant's operators were woefully unprepared for the scale of the disaster.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/01/3179487.htm

Big red headline on drudgereport site says this is 'the "chernobyl solution'

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-03-31/srs-concrete-pump-heading-japan-nuclear-site

The world’s largest concrete pump, deployed at the construction site of the U.S. government’s $4.86 billion mixed oxide fuel plant at Savannah River Site, is being moved to Japan in a series of emergency measures to help stabilize the Fukushima reactors.

“The bottom line is, the Japanese need this particular unit worse than we do, so we’re giving it up,” said Jerry Ashmore, whose company, Augusta-based Ashmore Concrete Contractors, Inc., is the concrete supplier for the MOX facility. The 190,000-pound pump, made by Germany-based Putzmeister has a 70-meter boom and can be controlled remotely, making it suitable for use in the unpredictable and highly radioactive environment of the doomed nuclear reactors in Japan, he said.

They tried to use remote controlled things to clean up chernobyl too but they wouldn't work int he high radiation which is why they had to send in live people :(

Food radiation fears move to forefront
In the U.S., the fear of radiation from Japan is so great that even figures meant to reassure can instead cause alarm

Quote: "We actually see health damage -- not from the radiation but from the fear of the radiation," said Tom McKone of the Department of Environmental Health Sciences at UC Berkeley. "And it's very real!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/31/eveningnews/main20049459.shtml

They tried to use remote controlled things to clean up chernobyl too but they wouldn't work int he high radiation which is why they had to send in live people :(

They tried to use robots but the radiation messed them up----maybe this pump (even though remote controlled) is made up of different stuff. I sure do hope so, not only for Japan, but for all of us.

Our cat would be ok he follows us like a dog, and the dogs would be ok... but we've always worried about our parrot... she wouldn't willingly come to us and if we reached into her cage to grab her and stuff her into a dog crate.. we'd be eaten alive, she's moody. :(
I fear in a fire or a tornado we'd lose our Hailey :(

The answer to your problem is a thick towel. Just keep it close to her cage and if an emergency happens, reach in and grab her with the towel. You may still feel the bite, but it won't be anything like it would be without the towel. I have a cockatoo and they have one of the worst bites of all the big birds...she broke my finger once playing. Sorry for the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500