Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

Strangely, amidst the disorder, the perpetrator left behind his neatly folded bloodied clothes, but did not leave the shoes. While it's possible that some of Mikkio's clothes were taken for an escape, I haven't found confirmation.
The clothes were not neatly folded. Merely left in the living room. I can confirm that he did steal a sweater from Mikio. He had no choice but to take his own shoes, however, given the discrepancy in size between the two men.

In my view, this evidence is crucial because there are fish factories in the area, and it's a spot where fishing ships from places like China and the Philippines can dock.
Japan has some 300 ports. As I've said multiple times, the sand that has been spoken of as "from the Miura Peninsula" is actually from Mabori Beach. A scenic area of parks, esplanades, beaches, and of course, US Naval Base Yokosuka.

What caught my attention is how the sashimi knife was wrapped, a style often seen in Chinese and Filipino fish processing places. It goes without saying that such places often have numerous undocumented immigrants as part of their workforce.
A connection to a fish processing plant is very possible. But there is nothing concrete tying the killer to one beyond the vague possibility of the way he used the handkerchief. I fail to see what undocumented immigrants have to do with this.
Thinking about it logically, it seems the killer might not have bought the sashimi knife; they could have just taken it from a local factory. Just because the knife was sold doesn't mean the killer bought it. The same goes for his bag – it could have been taken too. Bags like his are commonly used by fish sellers or other vendors at markets. So, the idea that the bag and knife were possibly swiped adds another angle to the investigation.
I pressed a former investigator on this very point; that he could have stolen the bag. It's a possibility, yes. The problem with that is, no other fingerprints were found on or in it. No other DNA. So, unless he found some way to clean that bag in such a fashion that also left sand grains from California in it, it seems as if the bag was his.

He had a jacket on made of polyester or nylon or something similar (water resistant fabric), and the police suspect he removed the screen frame for entry. I don't see significant obstacles for him to gain entry into the house. The window frame lacked any sharp irregularities that might have caught his clothing, as far as I can discern.
Again. The police do not know how he entered the house.

My understanding of this estimate is that the police considered both his clothing style and his age, being less than 16, which could explain why he wasn't fingerprinted in South Korea, where he might have originated. Therefore, it's reasonable to suggest that he could be as young as 15.
By the time the respective police forces agreed to cooperate, I believe some time had passed. So, even if the killer had been from South Korea with no prints on the national Korean database at the time of the murder, I think I'm right in saying that they would have been by the time of the checks. Moreover, we don't know that this was a one-off. I would assume the TMPD left a standing notice with them so that if the criminal were ever apprehended in Korea, it would immediately alert to his authorship of the Miyazawa murders.

However, it's more likely that he was older and had been residing in Japan for some time. Considering the possibility of a developmental disorder, he might have been careless about avoiding detection, or perhaps he held a belief that the end of the world was imminent on the New Year.
I agree that he was both older than 15 and had been residing in Japan for some time. There is zero in the way of concrete evidence that points to any kind of developmental disorder. Let alone some kind of apocalyptic credo.

Another theory could be that he was an illegal immigrant from China (many Europeans resided in Harbin and Shanghai both before and after the war, making mixed ancestry quite likely in those areas), working in Tuna Town. This could clarify why his fingerprints and DNA are unregistered. I would venture to propose that he desired to separate from his siblings, potentially live independently, and perhaps in another country, possibly his home country, necessitating funds for the journey back. It's conceivable that he fled on a Chinese boat.
What are you basing any of this on? Because another theory could be he entered the house via magic carpet. Or that the killer had a pathological hatred of people who drove the Citröen Xanthia. What single element in the evidence tells you this man was an illegal immigrant from China? And there is zero linking the killer to any one of the 300 ports in Japan. Much less Misaki. Or any kind of boat journey to anywhere.

Yes exactly. Honestly, all of the potential entry points have their problems in one way or another. But Rei's balcony is by far the most logical / least problematic of them all. Did you see the video from @Incoherent ? It shows the rear bathroom window is physically possible but seems totally implausible. The sequence of the murders themselves and lack of known relationship with the family stands against him using the front door. To me, that leaves this balcony.

And for sure, I think he *chose* them. He had a specific reason. How directly or indirectly they were involved in his reasoning? That's the 64-million-dollar question.

I hadn't watched the re-creation video @Incoherent posted, but I just did. Thanks to @Incoherent for posting it!

TBH I'm not surprised getting into the bathroom window was so easy. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I've always thought the bathroom window would be easier, or at least as easy, as the balcony. The most difficult part about climbing, in my experience, is getting yourself up to the necessary height.

With the bathroom window, the fence gets you mostly up to height. You still have to find a good foot and handhold, but it appears in the re-creation that it was fairly easy. With the balcony, even if it's not a huge height, you still need something to help you get up and over the railing--unless you have huge upper body strength and can pull yourself up. I don't suppose there's a filmed re-creation of entering via the balcony?

The thing I found interesting, and which would apply regardless of where or how the killer climbed in, was the noise the man in the re-creation made as his body knocked into the house walls. I'd forgotten this is a wooden-framed house. Any impact with the outside walls would resonate throughout the whole building. It would be virtually impossible to climb any of the outside walls silently.

Has it ever been considered that Mikio may have heard something and gone outside to look, giving the killer a little time inside the house before Mikio came back in and went upstairs?

I couldn't find the specific amounts taken, aside from what was left behind. Could you please kindly provide details on how the exact amount taken was determined?
As I stated, he stole some ¥150,000. I believe he left ¥190,000 behind (which was located by the computer he used at 1:18am meaning it was unlikely he did not see it as it was right in front of him). He also left behind foreign currency, as well as jewelry and other valuables. I cannot provide details on how the stolen amount was determined, I assume it was done via checking Mikio's withdrawals, expenditure that day, what the family next door would have known. Also, Japan is a cash-based society, as I'm sure you know. All the more so 23 years ago. If you were to listen to FACELESS, you would know that Mikio was a meticulous man who kept strict financial records. The idea that someone, with no drugs or alcohol in their system, would destroy four human beings for such a low sum of money, while leaving a greater amount behind makes no sense to me. Nor do I believe it to be this killer's motivation.
I share the scepticism around these questions. Admittedly, these few items do present a bit of a paradox when considering the notion of deprivation. Regarding the clothing, it's important to note that the brand doesn't necessarily indicate wealth, especially in the case of Uniqlo, which is not particularly expensive. Additionally, we can't ascertain who purchased the clothes; perhaps they were acquired by his siblings or obtained at a discounted rate, - just a possibility.
The value of his M/X shirt, Uniqlo jacket (brand-new and just released a month before), Slazenger shoes, good knife, Drakkar Noir aftershave is running into the hundreds of dollars. That's without totting up the hat, the gloves, the scarf, and the bag. I am not suggesting the killer is wealthy. I am saying it's preposterous to suggest he's some kind of desperately poor homeless guy given all of the things that the killer leaves behind in the house.
As for the unusual choice of perfume, one could argue that it was selected to combat the lingering smell of fish, especially if the killer worked in a fish processing environment (restaurants, fish market, factory, etc). This might align with the idea of preparing for a date, investing in a fragrance to leave a lasting impression. However, the possibility also exists that the perfume was stolen or a Christmas gift.
He was not wearing the aftershave itself. They identified traces of it on his belongings showing past usage. Though I don't see what's so unusual about it? Again, zero pointing to a fish smell. Let alone going on a date?
Speculating about these peculiar yet not entirely implausible items on the same person, it's worth considering that the killer, who demonstrated exceptional skill in wielding the knife during the murders, may have been accustomed to working with such blades. The logical connection between the sashimi knife and the sand from Tuna Town strengthens this hypothesis.
What suggests to you that he had any skill wielding a knife? Maybe you might say the fact he wrapped in such a way to avoid cutting himself. Except then he did cut himself and lost a fairly significant amount of blood. He also broke the knife the second he used it and had to abort his subsequent attacks with it to trade up. It's quite possible he cut his other hand too. Respectfully, I see no logic in connecting a sashimi knife with one arbitrarily chosen port. Sashimi knives are quite obviously found all over Japan. What single shred of evidence points to Misaki Port?
I'm less inclined to explore the direction of a California desert or military background. A young army recruit would likely lack the expertise displayed in handling knives, especially sashimi knives. Moreover, combat knives, preferred in military settings, differ significantly from fish knives, and the techniques required to handle them vary. If someone were planning a murder, it seems more plausible that they would choose a combat knife over a fish knife due to its sturdiness. JMO.
I find it incomprehensible why anyone would reject the only single piece of evidence in these murders pointing to a specific location. Two types of sand: Mabori Beach and Edwards Air Base. And to do so on the premise that an army recruit would "likely lack" the expertise to knife handling. Well, as I've said, I see no expertise in these murders. Moreover, the theory is NOT that he's actually in the US Airforce. But the son of a man who is. The idea that he would chose the wrong knife only further solidifies the premise that he's not an expert of any kind.
The area appeared secluded, with houses that seemed affluent yet isolated. The entire neighbourhood exuded a sense of tranquillity, seemingly removed from the public eye. Adding to that, the bathroom window was conveniently situated on the opposite side, making it accessible for a nimble individual to climb up, remove the window frame and sneak in.
Have you been to the house? If so, you would know that it is not secluded. Not isolated. Yes, it was located in a small municipal park, where there were bushes and so on. But the killer ran a great risk of being spotted every second he lingered outside that house. What pictures do not show is the pretty constant foot traffic through that space. In the day, obviously, but so too after dark.

They were all ruled immediately through finger-printing. An Irie has spoken many times about her relationship with the family in both interviews and her own books. The one part I recall: where she says she wishes they had been closer and she wishes she hadn't let Mikio install the soundproofing, which would have allowed her to hear what was happening on the night (caveat to say this is not what my sound expert said, the existing soundproofing would not have stopped any noise passing through). I can only say what I saw between the two sides and that's there was a rift. I won't go into detail but it was there. My problem with the idea that An is protecting the family is that she is also often in the public eye at the same time. Her books, interviews, work as a lecturer, seminars (which she charged us money to watch before declining to speak with us), it's all out there. She is not silent.

I can understand that she took exception to the FBI profiler saying he thought the killer was either in the family or close to it. But she does not know if the killer is dead. Whatever scenario she has in her mind, she does not know. But there is a possibility the killer's DNA was in that house. And I was offering a way of knowing more. Even if she had declined the interview, we still would have given her those resources. As I've said many times, I make no judgements on her. I just find it puzzling.

One question. Since no one knows how the killer got into the house...was there any potential, but not obvious, communication between the two houses? Between the garages, or could there be a cellar under both of them? Could someone have entered one house and got into the other one internally?

I find it incomprehensible why anyone would reject the only single piece of evidence in these murders pointing to a specific location. Two types of sand: Mabori Beach and Edwards Air Base.
Nevada desert. It is not possible to pinpoint the exact location with absolute precision based solely on a sample of sand grains. In forensic geology, experts use methods such as petrography, X-ray diffraction or scanning electron microscopy to examine the mineral content and structure of sand samples. These analyses can help geologists identify specific geological formations or regions associated with particular mineral compositions. Do you have a reference to the report produced by the forensic geologists, allowing me to review their findings?

Have you been to the house? If so, you would know that it is not secluded. Not isolated. Yes, it was located in a small municipal park, where there were bushes and so on. But the killer ran a great risk of being spotted every second he lingered outside that house. What pictures do not show is the pretty constant foot traffic through that space. In the day, obviously, but so too after dark.
I would also like to reiterate these points. The surroundings of the Miyazawa house are not quiet, secluded, or isolated. It is a busy neighbourhood with families and a lot of people using the parks, tennis courts, skate parks, and children’s play park directly behind the house.
During the day it is noisy. There is a constant flow of traffic on the road behind the house and people walking around.
After going to the house several times already and now living in the neighbourhood next to it, I can quite confidently say that any notion the house was “chosen” for its isolation and the reason the killer went unnoticed are false. Of course, JMO.

People interested in this case seem to forget quite quickly that this neighbourhood is in Tokyo, not some remote village with no one for miles.

He got lucky. Whichever way he entered.

At the time there was a house directly in front occupied, and the other side of the house occupied too.
The bathroom window is on the children’s play park side in direct view of the road and houses there too. There are even houses the other side of the river that look down on that bathroom window.

Whichever way he actually did enter from he ran huge risks of being seen. He just wasn’t. It is part of the reason this case is so remarkable. Being able to murder all 4 of them in a wooden house in a neighbourhood surrounded by houses, and no one to hear or see a thing is quite incredible.

Last edited:
After going to the house several times already and now living in the neighbourhood next to it, I can quite confidently say that any notion the house was “chosen” for its isolation and the reason the killer went unnoticed are false. Of course, JMO.
I appreciate your observations, and having a local perspective that can offer more insights into the area is highly valuable. However, we are discussing the year 2000, which was notably different. The photos taken during that period depict both houses surrounded by a considerable amount of vacant land.

1709987680502.png

I appreciate your observations, and having a local perspective that can offer more insights into the area is highly valuable. However, we are discussing the year 2000, which was notably different. The photos taken during that period depict both houses surrounded by a considerable amount of vacant land.

View attachment 489179
And it still looks like that today in 2024.
There was no further development done on the Miyazawa land.
But it is not quiet or isolated as it appears and you seem to think.
Whether you’re inclined to agree or not with someone who lives there (me) and someone who has been there several times (@FacelessPodcast) is your choice.
On this point for now I won’t continue discussion. Thank you for your input as always.

Last edited:
I think one of the important factors, which can no longer be replicated, is the quality of the street lighting in the year 2000. Everyone old enough to remember yellow sodium-vapor street lights (I presume those were used in Tokyo in 2000?) will remember how dark it could be between the light poles. The light didn't spread very far, and the colour-rendering was terrible. Everything had a sickly yellow glow.

Compared to modern LED street lights, which are much brighter and give a much more even spread of light, I strongly believe it would have been much easier to hide in the shadows at the time of the murders. Depending on where the light poles were positioned and where the light fell, it's possible that some areas of the house could have been in near pitch darkness. That's something we simply can't see visiting the house in 2024.

I've lived in the same house my whole life, and before LED street lights were installed there was one side of my house that was totally dark despite having a street light directly across the road.

I think one of the important factors, which can no longer be replicated, is the quality of the street lighting in the year 2000. Everyone old enough to remember yellow sodium-vapor street lights (I presume those were used in Tokyo in 2000?) will remember how dark it could be between the light poles. The light didn't spread very far, and the colour-rendering was terrible. Everything had a sickly yellow glow.

Compared to modern LED street lights, which are much brighter and give a much more even spread of light, I strongly believe it would have been much easier to hide in the shadows at the time of the murders. Depending on where the light poles were positioned and where the light fell, it's possible that some areas of the house could have been in near pitch darkness. That's something we simply can't see visiting the house in 2024.

I've lived in the same house my whole life, and before LED street lights were installed there was one side of my house that was totally dark despite having a street light directly across the road.
The children’s play park directly behind the house has its own street lamps too inside the park itself.
Most definitely they won’t have been as strong as we get today, but if those lamps were present back in 2000 (and I don’t see why not as the entire area was being expanded and promoted as a very large park, and was used by many each day until dusk) there would have been some illumination on the back of the house still.
I don’t think the house was entirely shrouded in darkness.

The children’s play park directly behind the house has its own street lamps too inside the park itself.
Most definitely they won’t have been as strong as we get today, but if those lamps were present back in 2000 (and I don’t see why not as the entire area was being expanded and promoted as a very large park, and was used by many each day until dusk) there would have been some illumination on the back of the house still.
I don’t think the house was entirely shrouded in darkness.

Understood. I just think that wthout being able to go back to 2000 and visit the house under the exact same conditions as on the night of the murder, we can only make an educated guess about the specific circumstances. The photos I've seen from the time of the murder were either taken in daylight, or only show small areas and not the whole house.

It would help to be able to see the outside of the house as the killer would have seen it. We can't be sure exactly which areas were lit, which were in shadow, where tree branches were obscuring line of sight, etc. Those things change with time, and what we see now probably isn't exacty what the killer saw 24 years ago. How much difference those changes could make is hard to quantify.

Understood. I just think that wthout being able to go back to 2000 and visit the house under the exact same conditions as on the night of the murder, we can only make an educated guess about the specific circumstances. The photos I've seen from the time of the murder were either taken in daylight, or only show small areas and not the whole house.

It would help to be able to see the outside of the house as the killer would have seen it. We can't be sure exactly which areas were lit, which were in shadow, where tree branches were obscuring line of sight, etc. Those things change with time, and what we see now probably isn't exacty what the killer saw 24 years ago. How much difference those changes could make is hard to quantify.
All very true, and unless we had someone who was definitely there that night willing to talk such specifics we will never know exactly.

I’m sure such questions were asked of residents by the TMPD to try and paint and clearer picture but to my knowledge those small details are unknown outside of a police interview. I don’t doubt some photos exist somewhere though.

Some more thoughts.

Man I would’ve loved if those Kuromutsu posts were true. The Japanese used is so condescending and just mocks the Miyazawa family and what he did. But it makes sense it was some loser online posting on 2chan and finding humour in the whole thing. Back in the early 2000’s message boards were full of those jerks.

I’m finding it harder and harder to believe the killer could’ve entered via the bathroom window.
It would have been challenging, but not impossible, to enter that way. The re-creation by the 170cm actor shows that even he had to squeeze into that window it was so narrow.
(Side note: 27.5cm sneakers on a 170cm person looks ridiculous and borderline comical). And yet no fibres? I just can’t believe it. He had to cartwheel down onto the floor head first. There would have been something on that window.

I can totally believe the window was open though. It is typical to bathe at night in Japan and the Miyazawa bathroom was made of plastic which would need airing out after showering or bathing to prevent mold. Easiest way is to crack the window with the fly screen on. But that would also potentially mean the bathroom was wet if closer to the bathing time.

(Another side note: it is customary to share bath water in Japan with your family, as members use the separate shower hose to wash first and then relax in the water. The documents found in the tub full of water could have been water that was already there beforehand).

And onto the next point of the fly screen being pushed out. Those things are flimsy as hell. Rather than being pulled off to gain entry, I suspect the killer pushed it out when deciding his point of exit post murder and then decided against it. Hence zero fibres or blood around the window.

I am pretty convinced at this point that he entered via Rei’s balcony. Just WHY those balcony doors were open I don’t know, but like I previously showed in photos it would have definitely been used for laundry and the doors could have been left unlocked. Totally guilty of that myself too in my home here.

When it came to exiting he could’ve gone to the bathroom after dumping the documents in the tub, shoved the fly screen off, and then reconsidered after realising how tight the squeeze was.

So, how did he exit? Not the bathroom window, not the front door, so the balcony again? Easy enough to do, but wouldn’t he have left evidence? Was it ever checked properly?

1) I also don't think that Kuromitsu's posts were the killer's, but it is possible they were made by someone planning to throw LE off track. He made several conflicting sentences. One, that all his family died because of these people and two, that this family was chosen randomly. However, what he did well was describing the elated feeling he experienced while taking a plane out of the country. Don't you think that people pay attention to the same things, mentally? When someone leaves the country sitting in an airplane and feeling elation and liberation, this is how we all think, the killer flew out the next morning. And even if we say, "oh, red herring", we still hold on to the belief that he left the country by the plane.
For all I know, he might have left by sea, by air or simply stayed.

2) He focused on some details to throw off track, this is why I wonder what his connection to the killer was. Also, I don't know Japanese, but think that he writes well. What would you say? I wish I could have known Japanese to compare some writing styles.

3) Why do you think that 27.5 cm sneakers on a 170cm person look borderline comical? It is US size 9.5. In my family i have three very tall people wearing very large sizes. I know that leg may grow faster that the rest of the body. If it is narrow or normal, it doesn't stand out. If he were thin and the size were 27.5 wide, I would have doubts.

Re the shoe sizes, I don't know if 27.5cm is unnaturally large for a 170cm person (especially for someone who may not be done growing taller), but there is also the idea that perhaps he wore shoes a bit larger than his proper size as a ruse, to prevent or delay his being identified?

MOO

Having the DNA samples, one would assume that the Tokyo police have run them through large DNA databases like Ancestry and MyHeritage to search for the killer's siblings or distant cousins. If such relatives were identified, particularly those of European ancestry through the mother, it could potentially provide better insights into the killer's origins. However, I haven't come across any reports on this specific exploration.

Having the DNA samples, one would assume that the Tokyo police have run them through large DNA databases like Ancestry and MyHeritage to search for the killer's siblings or distant cousins. If such relatives were identified, particularly those of European ancestry through the mother, it could potentially provide better insights into the killer's origins. However, I haven't come across any reports on this specific exploration.
Respectfully this has been discussed a lot in the previous threads and in the Faceless podcast. Japan laws currently prohibit the use of DNA for genetic genealogy. <modsnip>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015
Back