Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

I'm part wat through reading Thread One; what a case.

Some initial thoughts from me:

Bucket Hats - huge in 1999 & 2000. Hip Hop and Pop. Britney Spears and Justin Timerlake frequently photograped wearing many, many different colours/versions, and on many a varied occasion, of bucket hats through these two years. Japanese Pop Culture Moment: Britney Spears does a special showcase to release her 2nd album in Japan, "Ooops I did it again", on 02 May 2000. So, needless, bucket hats were very trendy at that point in time with youth culture.

My thoughts on the ironed hankie & folded clothing (as a military member): as a single and living in singles military quarters, even our underwear kept in the locker were startched and folded to specific dimensions (unreal, I know). Even after basic training, the singles quarters were subject to random, unannounced inspections so they were always kept top-notch for cleanliness, clothing folded & placed neatly away etc. It's a habit that still follows me decades later.

Entry to/from foreign nations. It depends on the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) between the 'guest' nation (GN) and the 'host' nation (HN) (host being the country where the base etc is geo-located) that is signed off by both countries. Every nation differs. A single nation may differ in differing nations. IE: What the US has in place as SOFA in Japan may be different from that in place in Germany etc simply because the SOFA must be acceptable to both host and guest nation. In Germany, I landed at a civilian airport but utilized my Green passport to pass through HN which took probably 2 minutes. When entering/exiting on leave (non-duty travel) I used my blue passport and had o do the normal customs routine etc. Isreal/Syria/Lebanon I used my green passport similarily --- even when exiting/entering on leave. UAE: I landed at the military base ... no passport required to enter/exit even on leave (although I always had my green one handy); just my military ID. Likewise Afghanistan etc.

My initial thoughts seeing the hints given in the evidence that I have so far read about: Military Member or dependant who travels via the USAF base located close to the scene to through/via or to other USAF Bases on leave where they might also have been stationned or that are close to their families at home in the US (Mojave sand for example). The USAF also Operates Osan Air Base in South Korea which has direct flights for USAF members and their familes between Osan AB and Yoloa AB in Japan. I take this to mean that the OFA for both nations (Lorea and Japan) allows US military members to enter & exit directly through their USAF bases without undergoing the usual HN customs and entry requirements. These direct flights between Korea and Japan are called "The Patriot Express" which utilizes contracted commercial aircraft for flying but exit/enter through USAF bases directly.

I note that both Kunsan and Osan Bases in South Korea offers "Leave Centers" where military members and their families may travel to/from on leave to enjoy time off. There is also a leave center in Yokota so it's entirely possible that it was a military member stationed in Korea who went home to the US on course or leave, then travelled to Yokota to see the sights on leave, BUT I tend to rule that out given the purcashes of clothing in Japan, the knife etc.

To me, it's entirely possible that the perpatrator is/was a military member or dependant stationned in Japan who travelled back to the US on leave or course ('official' business as it were) and to/from Korea on leave (perhaps on the way home to Japan from the US) in the few months leading up to the murders.

Wound to hand apparently treated in a military style. We carry and use field dressings on wounds as an immediate first aid measure prior to seeking pro help. Kind of like slapping a large sanitary napkin over the wound, wrapping a long bandage tightly around the limb/over the pad and tying off the long bandage directly on top of the pad. The ensures pressure is applied directly onto the wound to help stem/clot the bleeding/preserve life. If the pad and bandage soak through with blood, we apply yet another pad etc on top of the one already in place and so on. We do not remove the old dressing as it may cause the wound to unclot and re-bleed. If this guy did that then continued to use both hands or pick up something with the injured hand, that know impression etc may have been recognizable in the blood print of whatever he touched or picked up - especially so if the wound was on the palm or sides of the hand.

May change my mind after reading more. @FacelessPodcast - you are a fountain of information on this case!!

Fantastic post, thank you :)

Is it out of the question that he may have had an older brother in the military and borrowed an old hip pack belonging to him? It's possible his father had also been part of the military as well and maybe was strict, rigid, disciplinarian at home especially towards the perp who felt powerless against his father's aggression.

I'm leaning towards that disorganized-type killer who picks his targets at random, but who may have watched the children playing in the park unsupervised by the grandma. The crime itself was frenzied, sadistic and overkill was apparent to the detectives which strengthens my idea of a mentally disordered, disorganized killer. He left the murder weapon as well as 16,000 pieces of physical evidence and couldn't have cared less. It was the power and control and humiliation he exacted over his helpless victims which was his ultimate goal. Maybe he was enraged simply because these children seemed so happy as they played outside - a happiness that had been denied to him in his own childhood especially if his father constantly threw his brother's accomplishments in his face.

My bet is he had below average IQ and worked in low paying, menial jobs (dishwasher, prep.cook) and was frequently fired. I also think he lived close to the crime scene and could have easily walked to and from the crime scene at night and gone unnoticed.

These are just meaningless meanderings from an amateur sleuther who has a weird interest in psychology and crime scene behaviors.

Question for the thread: I want to write about a similar case of a home invasion murder in Nagoya in 1999 which I’ve alluded to here. I think you may find the parallels interesting. However, there is a LOT of information and it’s too much for a single post.

Is it worth me making a new thread for it?

Question for the thread: I want to write about a similar case of a home invasion murder in Nagoya in 1999 which I’ve alluded to here. I think you may find the parallels interesting. However, there is a LOT of information and it’s too much for a single post.

Absolutely!

And if so:
1) is there a particular format for the title I should be using? (I’ve never made a new thread before).

2) There’s no specific Japan label I could see.

3) what category should the thread be put in?

Definitely. Every case, every life, is worth a thread. :)

The format of the title can be the same as this one. The names of the victims, the location, and the date it happened. The correct category depends on whether the case was solved or not. If it's a cold case, it should be able to go in this category--the mods will move it if it should be somewhere else.

If you look under the Forums menu, you will see different forums you can choose for the other crime you are mentioning, @FacelessPodcast. If you click on the forum, usually one of the first posts is an instructional post that tells you the preferred format for posting.

So, for example, under the Forums menu, one of the subcategories is "Crimes":
1711247175167.png

If you selected, say, "Crimes in the News", then you would see a top post that shares details of how to make a post (I've circled it):
1711247284276.png

Hope that helps.

Here it is, guys. The heartbreaking case of Namiko Takaba. Hopefully it's working!

Would love to hear your thoughts on it / parallels with the Miyazawa case.
Running the cases parallel is a great idea. A major intersect regards DNA testing regulations in Japan. I found it interesting Mr. Takaba may be reluctant to work outside TMPD, and source the DNA samples overseas. One of my sticking points with the Miyazawa case is An Irie's refusal to also source out DNA. Is it possible she has the same motives? My opinion previously was that her reluctance might be out of fear of what may turn up, should it be tested.

One other thing I pondered about, and sorry if this has already been said or discussed, that perhaps burglary was not a premier or main motive because, in addition to not stealing all the available money in the home, the adjoining house and Yasuko’s grandmother were fortunately spared. Still, I can’t but think of how the elderly are typically considered a vulnerable population physically and health-wise and as a result, at least in the US, are very often targeted for robberies and B&Es. Robbers and muggers tend to prey and depend on the stereotype that an elderly person’s are easily overpowered, harmed and incapacitated.

IIRC, the perp was notably injured as the Mirwazawa family courageously defended themselves and each other. Thus in thinking more about any potential motives of this heinous murderer why did he not B&E the seemingly empty house attached nextdoor? If robbery of goods, money or finances was a motive why not plan to target and attack the grandmother first or only to maximize the benefits that could he accrue from his criminal activity in face of all the risks?

Or perhaps maybe he did know the know the family or at least the grandmother and/or An Iris, her husband and son and liked her or them well enough that their mom and home was spared?

Also as stated by many, including @FacelessPodcast, this killer was filled with rage, particularly towards Yasuko? One theory I questioned some more if what the killer was not motivated by a slight to themselves but to a loved one or someone they felt personally attached to? Was, for example, was Yasuko a tutor to a girlfriend, little cousin or neighbor that unfortunately held animosity or a grudge against her? Or perhaps they werent doing well in her sessions and this contributed to problems at home with their parents? Was a loved one or significant other possibly also one of the skaters that got into an argument with Misoko? Did this individual get in trouble with the police or their parents and vent to to killer who then went on to unlawfully and monstrous get revenge for them while also aiming to find some sort of evidence, such as a copy of a police report, contact information for his loved one’s parents or school or documentation banning them from the park to help determine how much trouble his loved one was in or prevent them from facing the consequences.

Or is it possible that some sort of conflict the the parents had with someone close or near to him or that either the killer witnessed or learned about afterwards trigger his own insecurities about himself, how he felt about his own family or some deep seated feelings of inferiority or that he didn’t belong, was too different or would never fit in. Could such emotional turmoil been ill-managed and instead of coping, he chose to react horrifically as he did the unthinkable of brutally attacking and killing a whole family?

Last edited:
Great thread. This is a case I've been interested for years and definitely one of the weirdest once out there.

For my money, everything in this case seems to point to one of those skateboarders Mikio seemed to have arguments with. The age and subculture appropriate clothing, the juvenile behavior at the crime scene, the very hectic and amateurish way the perpetrator committed the murders. It seems impulsive, filled with emotional & primal rage and very opportunistic, not someone experienced in age or mentally grown or very aware of investigation procedures given the amount of evidence he left all over the crime scene.

I don't think he is in the military, had any military connections, was non-Japanese or was experienced in killing in any way. Nothing in this crime shows that, in fact it is the opposite. For example, you can compare it to the Original Night Stalker murders to see the difference in the approach. I also don't believe it was a random drifter. Random drifters wouldn't attack such a big house like that if they don't know relatively what they are getting themselves into. All evidence seems to point at the skateboarders. Perhaps one didn't take too kindly to be shouted at or told what to do. With psychopaths you'll never know what can trigger them.

Running the cases parallel is a great idea. A major intersect regards DNA testing regulations in Japan. I found it interesting Mr. Takaba may be reluctant to work outside TMPD, and source the DNA samples overseas. One of my sticking points with the Miyazawa case is An Irie's refusal to also source out DNA. Is it possible she has the same motives? My opinion previously was that her reluctance might be out of fear of what may turn up, should it be tested.
This is absolutely possible. An Irie refused to speak with me several times so I can't speak definitively to her thinking on this. But yes, I am confident that is Mr. Takaba's feeling. However, we know that An Irie also has no compunction about disagreeing with the TMPD. When they said the Miyazawa house should be torn down as they have the home mapped with 3D models / a mountain of evidence in place, she immediately mobilised the press against this. She made it clear the house should stand, at least until the case is solved. She then appealed for information once again, pleading for the case to be solved. She also immediately sued Asahi TV when she got wind that they featured a profiler who said he thought the killer was either in the extended family or at least close to it. So, clearly, An Irie has no problems with making her own thoughts known on this case. She often says on Twitter how she feels about the press on Twitter (her feelings aren't positive). That was my assumption when she declined to speak with me / my podcast. But then she will often give interviews, assemble the media when she needs it. Honestly, I have no idea what her thinking is, I'm left only with speculation.

I avoided reading about this before yesterday because it seemed old/grim/foreign.... so now I have taken a crash course, and it is all of those.

About the noise aspect- nothing heard next door- I wonder if the family next door did hear something but thought it was a family argument or the little boy jumping around or something possibly embarrassing but not lethal. Maybe with the supposed sound proofing, they had been (politely) encouraged to butt out and then this.... Another possibility I think of is the attacker threatening- "no sound or this will be worse," and of course it could not have been worse, but the individual victims might not have known that at the time- maybe thought they were saving someone else. Last thought: did either family have a TV? Maybe a loud movie would have masked a lot of sound.
The next door neighbour was the parents/parents in law

"Anyway, onto my mistake. A direct family member or friend of the victim not wanting to talk isn’t suspicious. Them rejecting an offer for financial help to process evidence isn’t suspicious. Them not clearing up statements to the public that cast a shadow of suspicion on them is in itself not suspicious.
When I attempted to speak to friends related to the victim in the crime I mentioned, I could not grasp why they wouldn’t want to talk to me. Beyond the crime, I wanted to give the victim a voice and show who she was, and no one would talk about her. Why wouldn’t best friends want the world to know how great of a person she was? Why wouldn’t someone want to clear the air of any suspicion towards them?

The one friend who I did speak with a few times laid it out pretty well. Talking about it hurts. Thinking about it hurts. Even with an opportunity to lend a hand and potentially solve the crime, it’s just too painful.

And that’s really it. Could Yasuko’s sister open the house for DNA collection and have it be analyzed overseas, and potentially locate a suspect? Absolutely, and that would be fantastic. Is it at all weird that she won’t? No. Some family and friends need to accept what happened in order to deal with it. They don’t let their minds return, they don’t want to get their hopes up by the promise of help from others. Clearing up anything that the public, such as us, may think is suspicious about them will do nothing but drag them back into a place they never want to be again. I'm absolutely sure they want the crime solved, but I’m also sure they want to think about it as little as possible."

I appreciate your sentiments here @FrankyCentaur. With absolutely no disrespect intended, there are a few things here I have to take issue with. It's not as simple as respecting Ann's need for privacy or not wanting to talk about it. Those things are fundamentals and I hope you'll give me enough credit to not assume I don't like her because she turned down interviews several times. I wouldn't afford the greatest respect to the Miyazawa family but then not extend it to her.

Firstly, there things in this particular situation that I've not been able to share publicly. I apologise for the vagueness of this, I just want to make it clear that I'm not simply 'suspicious' of her because she wouldn't speak to me for the podcast. Secondly, with respect, you are wrong about her not wanting to speak about the case. She has authored books. She lectures on surviving grief re: this case. She invited the assembled national press into the Miyazawa's house in order to talk about this case in full view of the nation. In that instance, she made it clear she wanted this case to be solved no matter what. Whether she speaks to me or not is immaterial. What is not immaterial is that there may still be traces of the killer's DNA in that empty house which could be sent off privately for testing to find out more about him. This is something unavailable to the TMPD for legal reasons but not her. What is not immaterial is that beyond the TMPD, there are other avenues to catching the murderer if he has, indeed, left Japan.

I have nothing but sympathy for her personally and I respect her a great deal. The fact remains, some of the actions here do not make sense. And I say that without any judgement or expectation on how someone ought to survive horror.
Added into this Nic is the difference in culture and how private the Japanese are and certain aspects of their behaviour are influenced by Japanese culture I believe.

This is covered at length throughout the thread. But in a nutshell: no, there is no legal framework in Japan for using DNA in a police investigation outside of matching it 1:1 to the offender database.
Nic please can you expand a little more with regards to the use of DNA and cross referencing to a DNA database. You and I have talked about this previously via landline but I think it’s important for the WS members to understand how differently the DNA investigative tool is used ( or not as the case seems to be) and the differences in how it is used in the USA/UK for example compared with its use in Japan Thanks Nic. X

Bringing across part of my last post from the previous thread:

"Due to Japan's rules (or lack of specific rules) on using DNA, they're effectively where other countries were 25+ years ago. Having access to copious amounts of the killer's DNA is useless if LE can't do anything with it.

As I understand it, Japanese LE can only use DNA to compare against an already-known suspect--and that requires having a suspect."

So many cold cases from around the world have been solved since DNA testing became available, and particularly since familial DNA comparisons became legal. It's all moot if Japan's laws remain as they are currently, but if Japan does ever change its laws on using DNA, I suspect and hope this case could be solved very quickly.

Assuming there isn't a reason why the TMPD doesn't want to publicly solve it.
Your last line of your post….

And therein lies the question ( as I see it which is just MOO)

There are a few theories that suggest Mikio was highly active on early forums. One in particular I remember was in relation to fans of anime voice actors. It suggests that one big shot actor was abusing a female actor and this recently came out in the MeToo movement. But long before that, Mikio was vocal about this abuse online in defence of the actress, and even maybe confronted this big shot in person at some event. Supposedly, the abuser was connected to some manager who was part of the mafia and this is what led to the murders. Now, I don't give this theory much credit simply because it doesn't tally with what we know about Mikio, how he was described to me by his own mother. I can't see him levelling accusations online, much less in person, while he has two small children and so on. Second problem, how would this information be available to people on true crime forums in 2023 but have eluded the TMPD technicians this whole time? It's true that from my own anecdotal experience of the TMPD detectives is that they may not be technologically up to the minute (we were asked to fax them when dealing with them), I just can't imagine that the contents of Mikio's computer communications were or are still a mystery to the TMPD.
I’m not so sure I agree with you there Nic, with respect

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back