Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niina was left with no front teeth (suggesting the killer beat her, either with his fists or the butt of the knife / some other object as yet unmentioned).
(RSBM)

Certainly sounds like Niina was the #1 object of the killer's anger...but...why Niina (to that extent)? The answer to that question (MOO) will open up the pathway to "motive".

JMO:
1. Power
2. They made me lose me face - I make them lose theirs
3. I triumph
4. Just maybe - he was taller and it was easier
My guess is that it's a combination of being driven by rage and the lack of space in the areas in which they were stabbed. Mikio on the stairs, Niina and Yasuko in that cramped landing with a ladder in the middle. Of course, it could be any of the above, too. My feeling is just between rage and the actions we're certain he took, there are the fewest leaps.

(RSBM)

Certainly sounds like Niina was the #1 object of the killer's anger...but...why Niina (to that extent)? The answer to that question (MOO) will open up the pathway to "motive".
We could argue for Niina, or just as easily for Rei, or Yasuko. There again, Mikio seems the most likely to have 'provoked' a killer in some way, however minimally. To my mind, it doesn't sound necessarily like Niina was the target. For one thing, it's not even sure that many of the blows she suffered didn't deflect off Yasuko as they were laying together in those final moments. My view is that they're all are equally likely candidates for being the killer's true 'objective.' But the net result is that they all died. Absent any clear evidence that one family member was chosen and the rest were collateral, my gut feeling is that the outcome was the objective. He was there for all of them.

No motive was ever established, and the killer said that none existed. It was noted that his diary expressed contempt for happy people and mentioned that his best friend was “way too happy” - this is the closest I’ve ever heard to any kind of possible “motive”, if you can even call it that. He committed suicide in prison ~10 years later.
RSBM: Yes, I imagine the killer here will have an equally stupid reason for doing what he did. Though, of course, stupid to me -- in his own mind, his loathing probably felt very real. My guess here is that the Miyazawas were surrogates for his own rage, that they essentially 'did nothing wrong'. This is assuming the killer would even be able to articulate it. Many serial killers will spout some kind of divine mission from God or whatever BS to narrativise their acts, when in reality they simply felt a mix of deep sexual inferiority / hatred of women etc.

On the back of that, allow me a tangent. I went to a pretty bad school and random acts of violence were almost never caused by anything directly. But when you looked at the kids doing it, there were usually underlying core reasons at home. This, in turn, created a culture of violence and kids who started off studying hard and behaving well, ended up imitating that societal baseline to fit in. As an 11-year-old, the idea of breaking the rules or doing anything much outside of reading my book at break-time would have horrified me. By 15, you're spray-painting a 30-foot penis across your school entrance at midnight for no reason and cutting class to day drink. (The reasoning for it, at least with your friends, is because it's 'funny' but the true reason, deep down, is to reclaim the power you feel you have lost).

So, to bring this all back to our killer here, there are obviously a multitude of reasons why men kill, even if victims unknown to them are very rare. But if I were a betting man, I would say that the killer had some power removed from him in some way, he had control removed from him. And these murders were a way of 'regaining' the ultimate power. Of telling someone / or the world, 'you don't know who you're messing with'. This would have felt important, most likely, because deep down, they were actually just a terrified little boy caught between a supreme arrogance and paralysing insecurity. Obviously, all my own riffing, and completely separate from my POI. All JMO.

Now, I don’t mean to suggest the Miyazawa murders were committed by someone who knew them. @FacelessPodcast has convinced me this is more likely not to be the case, given how thoroughly TMPD followed leads. But it just shows how a young man could break into a family’s home and kill all of them for what seems to the outside world like no reason. There could be some hidden rage or sick compulsion strong enough to drive him to such an act - even something as seemingly trivial as anger at the happiness of another family. And afterward, he could successfully hide in plain sight.

So, when Nic talks about his POI, it all sounds very plausible to me.
Totally agree. And to be clear re: the POI. I find the information stacked up pretty convincing on its own merit. But it's also simply the case that there is no other convincing POI on any level so far. Even the theoreticals absent a person feel thin in comparison. But the second something more solid or credible comes along, I'm happy to drop this guy. My opinion changes as the evidence does, as it must!

Last edited:
(RSBM)

I would say Niina was likely screaming. She was already stabbed up in the loft, and then was taken down the stairs by Yasuko before the killer finished them both off. Yasuko was also attempting to tend to her wounds.
An 8 year old girl that had already been stabbed is likely unable to keep quiet, which we can assume the killer would want to silence quickly before any other people potentially heard the commotion. So he beat/punched her in the face to knock her down before stabbing her more and she died. IMO.
That’s not to say Yasuko wasn’t screaming too, but a child is unable to hold her emotions more than an adult is. Since Rei was strangled he had no chance to scream.

Nic, how is the second podcast coming along?
No takers yet. One platform mentioned getting my POIs prints before they'd commission it. Which, given that I live thousands of miles away on the other side of the Atlantic is not just a hop and a skip.

I should say, so far we've only spoken to one platform, though. And it wasn't my favoured one so onwards and upwards.

No takers yet. One platform mentioned getting my POIs prints before they'd commission it. Which, given that I live thousands of miles away on the other side of the Atlantic is not just a hop and a skip.

I should say, so far we've only spoken to one platform, though. And it wasn't my favoured one so onwards and upwards.
Nic, I'm quite confident one of us here would be able to get the prints via their garbage, mild recon, etc. While we understand and respect your inability to name your POI, I'm sure there are work arounds. For starters, it seems your POI may be in California. But, even elsewhere is doable. Maybe you could try and source us via location based, and then discuss logistics privately? I'm a firm believer that nothing is impossible, and there's a solution to every problem.

RSBM: Yes, I imagine the killer here will have an equally stupid reason for doing what he did. Though, of course, stupid to me -- in his own mind, his loathing probably felt very real. My guess here is that the Miyazawas were surrogates for his own rage, that they essentially 'did nothing wrong'. This is assuming the killer would even be able to articulate it. Many serial killers will spout some kind of divine mission from God or whatever BS to narrativise their acts, when in reality they simply felt a mix of deep sexual inferiority / hatred of women etc.

On the back of that, allow me a tangent. I went to a pretty bad school and random acts of violence were almost never caused by anything directly. But when you looked at the kids doing it, there were usually underlying core reasons at home. This, in turn, created a culture of violence and kids who started off studying hard and behaving well, ended up imitating that societal baseline to fit in. As an 11-year-old, the idea of breaking the rules or doing anything much outside of reading my book at break-time would have horrified me. By 15, you're spray-painting a 30-foot penis across your school entrance at midnight for no reason and cutting class to day drink. (The reasoning for it, at least with your friends, is because it's 'funny' but the true reason, deep down, is to reclaim the power you feel you have lost).

So, to bring this all back to our killer here, there are obviously a multitude of reasons why men kill, even if victims unknown to them are very rare. But if I were a betting man, I would say that the killer had some power removed from him in some way, he had control removed from him. And these murders were a way of 'regaining' the ultimate power. Of telling someone / or the world, 'you don't know who you're messing with'. This would have felt important, most likely, because deep down, they were actually just a terrified little boy caught between a supreme arrogance and paralysing insecurity. Obviously, all my own riffing, and completely separate from my POI. All JMO.

Totally agree. And to be clear re: the POI. I find the information stacked up pretty convincing on its own merit. But it's also simply the case that there is no other convincing POI on any level so far. Even the theoreticals absent a person feel thin in comparison. But the second something more solid or credible comes along, I'm happy to drop this guy. My opinion changes as the evidence does, as it must!
One of the juveniles I once worked with who tried to murder several classmates did it because they were "too cocky" and needed to show him more "respect."... and the disrespect was like, being happy they beat him in a sports game. Which seems unreasonable and it was, but things fell a lot more into place when you learned details of the kid's home life--where commanding respect was everything, and yet he (the kid) was given absolutely none by the person he craved respect from. That person kicked him around; why shouldn't he kick the kids being rude to him around? It was that kind of twisted logic. (I'm also being deliberately vague about what happened, but you get the general idea.) Teenagers finding a proxy for their own unhappiness and projecting it in a violent escalation definitely happens.

Nic, I'm quite confident one of us here would be able to get the prints via their garbage, mild recon, etc. While we understand and respect your inability to name your POI, I'm sure there are work arounds. For starters, it seems your POI may be in California. But, even elsewhere is doable. Maybe you could try and source us via location based, and then discuss logistics privately? I'm a firm believer that nothing is impossible, and there's a solution to every problem.
Adding onto this, if the POI were to actually be him how much does everyone think he is still aware of what he did 24 years later? I wonder to what extent he still thinks about it and is aware he could be caught if someone were onto him knowing that if his prints were lifted it would be all over for him.
Or I wonder if at this point he is under the impression he’s gotten away with it and doesn’t care or think about it anymore, therefore making it easy to lift the prints from his garbage etc?
I can say living in Japan it is still very much a point of discussion every year, especially in December, and recently as we know Setagaya are pushing for the topic of the law changing to be discussed surrounding DNA.
Is he sweating or doesn’t care?

Hi everyone! New member here. Just finished the podcast and reading through both threads. @FacelessPodcast That was an incredible 7 episode journey. Thank you for all your hard work!! Had a couple of questions that I don't seem to find any answers to anywhere and was wondering if you had any.

- Do we know if there were any unidentifiable car tracks in the field around the Miyazawa house?

- Given how much of the killer's stuff was left behind, did the TMPD bring in any sniffer dogs to see if they could track his scent?

- My guess is that with his injuries he would choose the easiest exit out of the house and not through the bathroom window or the balcony. I need to check the layout of the house again, but if the living room couch was away from the pools of blood and he took a nap on it, perhaps the blood on his shoes had time to dry. So when he walked right out of the door (which would mean it would've been unlocked/ajar when Haruko checked in the morning unless he stole a key and closed and locked it behind him), he left no bloody footprints.

- Was there blood found on the computer mouse he used? If his right hand had a severe injury, I imagine it would've been difficult to use the mouse. Maybe he tried maneuvering the mouse with his left hand and gave up after 5 minutes because it's kinda difficult to do that without practice. So the folder creation could've been pure accident. But also, if there was no blood found on the mouse, that means that if he used the front door to exit, not finding blood there wouldn't really be an issue. He had either successfully stemmed the bleeding on his right hand or used his left hand to open and (maybe) close the door. I remember there was no blood found on the door, but do we know if the killer's fingerprints were found on the door handles?

- In Japan in the year 2000, was it possible to track phone calls placed on landlines? If so, do we know if he used the phone inside the Miyazawa residence at all? Perhaps to call somebody to pick him up? Maybe he had a cellphone, but I'm not sure how widespread their usage was in 2000.

- Unless the killer left Japan immediately after the murders, surely going back to school in the new year means that there would've been multiple witnesses who saw his injured right hand. If he was living on the Yokota air base, would he be taking classes inside the air base or going to school somewhere in Tokyo? Are there any sudden, unexplained absences of students in the new year, if he did go to school in Tokyo and not on the air base? (So the police can check. I'm assuming anything on the air base is pretty much a no-go zone) Or maybe he didn't return to school because he'd graduated or finished his studies, which would give us a clue as to his age when he committed the murders.

- Can children of servicemen on the air base live there and also work part-time in Tokyo? How common would this have been, if yes? Intrigued about the guy who was working at the restaurant that disappeared after the murders but was spotted with an injury to his hand. Given that Mr. Miyazawa kept detailed records of his expenses, do we know if the family ever dined at the restaurant? I'm trying to figure out how in the world the killer and the family could've crossed paths. Makes more sense to me that the family was targeted rather than that it was a completely random, opportune killing. He met them before, but where and when? How long was he watching them?

Those are my initial thoughts/questions, apologies for the long dump! And thank you for reading all of this if you've gotten this far!

Last edited:
Now, 2chan started in Japan (4chan was its offshoot) and it had pet hating boards in 2000. Why not human hating boards then? So I am positive such boards existed. I don't know if they could attach good photos in 2000, but who knows?
2chan was a textboard that did not support image posting. There were xenophobic threads, which is often a feature of anonymous forums, but everything was in text. The structure of the board resembled a guest book with a limited text field. I don't believe there was a search function available in that flow of messages. Here is a fragment of it:
1716528984165.png

JMO:
1. Power
2. They made me lose me face - I make them lose theirs
3. I triumph
4. Just maybe - he was taller and it was easier
I am leaning towards No.2. I have considered various scenarios as to how and why such a massacre occurred - not just a mass murder like a college shooting, but an almost ritualistic bloodbath. My current feeling is that it wasn't a random thrill kill, nor was it to resolve skateboarding frictions, a robbery, a romantic obsession, or a business-related motivation. Instead, it was something more basic, sicker and senseless. I now believe the killer targeted Yasuko and her family and had a prior conflict with her. It might not have been a significant conflict; perhaps it was something minor that he perceived as life-threatening due to his inadequate perception. I don't think the killer was manipulative (or intelligent enough for that.) Instead, I believe he had developmental issues and significant anger control problems. JMO.

Hi everyone! New member here. Just finished the podcast and reading through both threads. @FacelessPodcast That was an incredible 7 episode journey. Thank you for all your hard work!! Had a couple of questions that I don't seem to find any answers to anywhere and was wondering if you had any.
Welcome @penelopeb! Thanks for listening to the podcast, very much appreciated :)

I'll whizz through your questions as best I can.
- Do we know if there were any unidentifiable car tracks in the field around the Miyazawa house?
Unknown, sadly.
- Given how much of the killer's stuff was left behind, did the TMPD bring in any sniffer dogs to see if they could track his scent?
Also unknown but if you go back to the start of the thread (part 1) or early articles from the time, you'll see images of the investigation unfolding. I don't recall seeing sniffer dogs.
- My guess is that with his injuries he would choose the easiest exit out of the house and not through the bathroom window or the balcony. I need to check the layout of the house again, but if the living room couch was away from the pools of blood and he took a nap on it, perhaps the blood on his shoes had time to dry. So when he walked right out of the door (which would mean it would've been unlocked/ajar when Haruko checked in the morning unless he stole a key and closed and locked it behind him), he left no bloody footprints.
There was no blood at the door but the issue was that there was a lot of blood on the stairs between ground level and the first floor of the house. Given that he spent most of his time upstairs, it's still not understood how he exited without leaving any blood at the door. The bathroom window had zero prints or fibres. The door had no blood on it. For some reason, Rei's balcony is never mentioned. It gave out on the car roof. This is my best guess.
- Was there blood found on the computer mouse he used? If his right hand had a severe injury, I imagine it would've been difficult to use the mouse. Maybe he tried maneuvering the mouse with his left hand and gave up after 5 minutes because it's kinda difficult to do that without practice. So the folder creation could've been pure accident. But also, if there was no blood found on the mouse, that means that if he used the front door to exit, not finding blood there wouldn't really be an issue. He had either successfully stemmed the bleeding on his right hand or used his left hand to open and (maybe) close the door. I remember there was no blood found on the door, but do we know if the killer's fingerprints were found on the door handles?
No blood on the computer so far as I know. My guess is that the computer use was simply to pass the time and he aborted once he realised either 1) it was boring or not fruitful or 2) too tricky given the injury. I don't know about prints on the door handle but I would imagine if they were on the front door, it would lead to that being a clearer candidate for exit.
- In Japan in the year 2000, was it possible to track phone calls placed on landlines? If so, do we know if he used the phone inside the Miyazawa residence at all? Perhaps to call somebody to pick him up? Maybe he had a cellphone, but I'm not sure how widespread their usage was in 2000.
Unknown.
- Unless the killer left Japan immediately after the murders, surely going back to school in the new year means that there would've been multiple witnesses who saw his injured right hand. If he was living on the Yokota air base, would he be taking classes inside the air base or going to school somewhere in Tokyo? Are there any sudden, unexplained absences of students in the new year, if he did go to school in Tokyo and not on the air base? (So the police can check. I'm assuming anything on the air base is pretty much a no-go zone) Or maybe he didn't return to school because he'd graduated or finished his studies, which would give us a clue as to his age when he committed the murders.
Classes would have been in the schools on-base. It's like a small city, some 12,000 people at any one time with shops etc. I am certain classmates and friends would have noted the injury, even if graduated, he couldn't have stayed in his room 24/7. But as I've said previously in the thread, how much the news of these murders actually made it on to base is unclear. See my earlier threads about the only English-language newspaper in Japan back in 2000 and its relatively sparse coverage of the case. This precludes Japanese-speakers on base, of course. But it's clear that the killer could have had those injuries yet still not raised any suspicions amongst peers on base in a way that I think would have been FAR more difficult as a Japanese student in, say, Setagaya. The police certainly combed schools in the area.
- Can children of servicemen on the air base live there and also work part-time in Tokyo? How common would this have been, if yes? Intrigued about the guy who was working at the restaurant that disappeared after the murders but was spotted with an injury to his hand. Given that Mr. Miyazawa kept detailed records of his expenses, do we know if the family ever dined at the restaurant? I'm trying to figure out how in the world the killer and the family could've crossed paths. Makes more sense to me that the family was targeted rather than that it was a completely random, opportune killing. He met them before, but where and when? How long was he watching them?
I'm actually not sure about kids working in Tokyo but from my conversations / interviews, this would not have been super common. Did they have the permissions to work in Japan as the familial dependents of a US military member? I'm not sure that they would. Yokota is essentially American soil. Once they stepped off that, I'm assuming some kind of diplomatic freedom to walk around in Japan but I wouldn't imagine this would extend to the right to employment (assuming many of these kids would have the capacity or inclination for it). But certainly, trips to Tokyo by these kids happened all the time.

RE: the restaurant and the suspicious clerk. My feeling this whole story is a red herring. Consider where it's been published. In short, nowhere good or reliable. The other problem with it is it would seem like 2+2=4. If such a character was present in the area, how did it take 20+ years for this to surface? The purported story is that the restaurant owner was burgled and then mentioned this clerk which then magically leads to the TMPD thinking it's the same killer. Why haven't we heard more of this, then? @Incoherent, have you heard anything about this in the area?
Those are my initial thoughts/questions, apologies for the long dump! And thank you for reading all of this if you've gotten this far!
Thanks again!

Adding onto this, if the POI were to actually be him how much does everyone think he is still aware of what he did 24 years later? I wonder to what extent he still thinks about it and is aware he could be caught if someone were onto him knowing that if his prints were lifted it would be all over for him.
Or I wonder if at this point he is under the impression he’s gotten away with it and doesn’t care or think about it anymore, therefore making it easy to lift the prints from his garbage etc?
I can say living in Japan it is still very much a point of discussion every year, especially in December, and recently as we know Setagaya are pushing for the topic of the law changing to be discussed surrounding DNA.
Is he sweating or doesn’t care?
If I had to guess, he'll always wonder if there's some risk to him, maybe he thinks about it at night in bed. But distantly. I don't think he's losing a lot of sleep. I think he probably feels he's in the clear.

@FacelessPodcast re: the restaurant, haven’t heard anything here about it. Like the other sightings reported of the man with the hand injury in Nikko, the men in the taxi, the man running into the road from the house etc, it seems the man from the restaurant is just another one of these stories. Potentially related, highly likely not at all. Although the man in Nikko still irks me a little today.

Makes more sense to me that the family was targeted rather than that it was a completely random, opportune killing. He met them before, but where and when? How long was he watching them?

SBM: I live about a 25 minute walk from the Miyazawa house and Kamisoshigaya park now, and my thoughts on this are that the killer had visited the park and surrounding recreational areas a few times before he murdered the family.

The reason I think this is because the house and surrounding park is about a 20-30 minute walk from the 4 surrounding train stations, and the park itself is nothing different to other parks all over Tokyo metropolis. There isn’t any reason to randomly come across this house and park and break into it and murder whoever is inside, unless the killer lived in the area and just happened to see it and went for it. But I don’t think so.

I would have to say he intentionally visited the area for whatever reason at some point multiple times.
Maybe a picnic, maybe to use the skate park, maybe to use the tennis court, maybe to see the park itself. Or maybe he followed the family back home.
But it’s my opinion he intentionally visited the area and that’s how he knew of the house and either began to watch the family or continued to watch them before killing them. I don’t think it was random at all, I think they were targeted to some degree. And more importantly, he knew how to get away and not be seen.

IF he had never been there before, he at least knew the family and how to find where they live. So to some degree it was still a planned murder.

All my opinion.

If I had to guess, he'll always wonder if there's some risk to him, maybe he thinks about it at night in bed. But distantly. I don't think he's losing a lot of sleep. I think he probably feels he's in the clear.
I hope he does start losing some sleep with the recent push for the change in law here. I wonder if he is even aware.

Recently there is also a member of the Setagaya Ward Assembly, Aiko Kuroda, who is pushing questions and discussion about the change in law too in their May newsletter which gets published.
So it’s very much still a hot topic here and people want a resolution.

Hoping we see this sooner rather than later.

Hard to believe that he could use a computer after slaughtering an entire family and not leave any blood.
There are diagrams that show his fingerprints were found there. Perhaps his technique to stem the blood from the cut on his hand worked well, so his was not found. And perhaps any blood from the family on him had dried by that point since the murders were speculated to have happened a few hours before the computer was recorded as being used. Or maybe he had ditched his clothes already. You’d think there would be some traces though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member