Possible match Jeffrey Lynn Smith, 15 - Missing Since: 4 December 1985 from Hot Springs AR

Anthem

Reaction score
Another possible match for Princess Blue: Jeffrey Lynn Smith.
DOB: Oct 12, 1969
Missing Date: Dec 04, 1985
Age Missing: 15
Age Now: 49
Missing City: Hot Springs
Missing State: AR
Race: Black
Complexion: Medium
Height: 5'3
Weight: 110
Hair Color: Brown
Hair Length: Shoulder Length
Eye Color: Brown
Location Last Seen: Silver Street in Hot Springs Arkansas

Circumstances of Disappearance: She was last seen on December 4, 1985 walking home from school with her boyfriend.

Last Seen Wearing: Lynn was last seen wearing pink pants, a brown jacket, and tan shoes.

Identifying Marks or Characteristics: Lynn's ears are pierced. She has a mole on the right side of her chin.

Her age in the year 1990 would have been 21, right in the middle of Princess Blue's projected age, and reading into her story from a 2012 new story with her sister, Lisa Murray, I can see possible stories of how she got to Texas. She was last seen with her boyfriend, who Smiths family was concerned she was in an abusive relationship with and has since served time for shooting another woman. The police interview with the boyfriend was "woefully insufficient" according to the family, they also hold the belief that law enforcement mishandled their case. Smith was first categorized as a run away, which her family claims she had no history of doing. Her sister is quoted as saying “Her case wasn’t given the credence because of who she was. She was Black and they put no value in her life”.
(Link to the news article: Sister Of Teen Who Vanished In 1985 Continues Pushing for Justice)
From the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website there's some information concerning Jeffrey I presume from her sister but it doesn't mention an author:

"Dec. 4, 1985. The town of Hot Springs was decorated for the Christmas season. The smell of fresh pine and wood burning fire places filled the air. The usual bustle of holiday shoppers and kids lined up for their yearly pictures with the jolly old fella was happening everywhere. It was a joyous time...for most.
On the side of town that we called home, fear and uncertainty had consumed the holiday spirit. I remember getting the call from mom. She was crying so hard to the point of being almost inaudible. Through the crackling of her voice, I heard the words that no one would ever want to hear. "Lynn did not come home last night!"
Writing these words gives me the same sick, numb feeling that I felt nearly 32 years ago. It was the first time that Lynn had ever missed a curfew let alone not come home at all. Both of our guts were screaming loudly that something was wrong.
One day turned into weeks. The missing person’s report had been filed. We were out every night searching for Lynn. We tried to retrace her steps that night a thousand times. Her boyfriend, Frank, was the last person to see Lynn. They were walking home from school together and had parted ways with Lynn's friend Lisa.
Frank stayed steadfast by our side during the initial searches. We would pick him up and we would all ride around together looking for Lynn. Then one day my mom and stepfather got a call. The police told them that a local pawnshop had a ring that they believe belonged to Lynn. It's was Lynn's ring that she had received for her birthday.
Like many families of missing people, we did not feel as if we got the support of the local law enforcement during that time. Rather than having a thorough investigation, we had to resort to visiting psychics and questioning people on our own.
The contrast of the joyous holiday happenings and us wandering aimlessly in emotional pain made me feel as if I was having an out of body experience. "This can't be happening." "Please, please...somebody pinch me so that I can awake from this nightmare." "I want to wake up to see Lynn sleeping across from me and smell aromas of Christmas dinner." Every night I went to sleep crying with other cries from other rooms as the background noise. There was no Christmas music. There was no watching “A Charlie Brown Christmas” that year.
It's been nearly 32 years since Lynn went missing. December is always a month that brings sadness for us. The feelings are hard to overcome no matter how much we try to do Christmassy things. My mom's pain floats around her like a thick fog...it's visible. Lynn is not here to enjoy the season with us so it will never feel right. The best thing we can do is good things in Lynn's name during this time.
We have started a tradition of handing out 16 “Lynn Bags” to homeless and others in need. We take a gallon size baggy and put socks, gloves, a toothbrush, jerky and other food items in them. We then toss in a crisp $5 bill and note with an inspirational quote and Lynn's poster to round out the package. To see the light in people eyes when we hand the bags to them, brings Lynn back to life in those moments.
Jeffrey Lynn Smith
There is not a day that goes by that we don't think of Lynn. My mom, brother and I will never lose hope of finding her one day."

(Link: Virtual News Room ; search the page for "Jeffrey Lynn Smith" or scroll down most of the way)

I also found a blog where they did a spotlight on Smith, it has some extra information that wasn't in the news article or the NCFMAEC website but I have no idea where the information came from or if its true. Here are some highlights that weren't in the news article:

"She [the sister] recalls that Lynn was very low-key and vulnerable, not the kind of girl to stand up for herself"
"According to Lynn's sister, the boyfriend was abusive and Lynn wanted to end the relationship."
"Lynn always wore a gold ring with an opal stone, her birthstone, that she had received as a birthday present from her mother for her 16th birthday. Her sister said she cherished the ring and never took it off." The news article did mention her ring and how it was later pawned, this blog claims that the boyfriend pawned it but the news article says that the family believed thats what happened but there's no evidence for it.
(Link: I'm Really Just the Dog's Maid...: Missing Tuesday - Jeffrey Lynn Smith)
Other links:
Black and Missing Foundation :: Partnership with TV One, Find Our Missing and Michael Baisden
Jeffrey Lynn Smith – The Charley Project
Have you seen this child? JEFFERY SMITH

I'll attach pictures of Smith and the sketches of Princess Blue. There's two more photos of her on her Charley Project profile and an age progression drawing
Jeffrey Lynn Smith(1).jpg princess Blue.jpg

Attachments

• Jeffrey Lynn Smith(1).jpg
    Jeffrey Lynn Smith(1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
Jeffrey Lynn Smith, 16: Last Seen Walking Home From School With BF

Jeffrey-Smith-Missing-1.jpg

Like many other teens who disappear, Jeffrey Lynn Smith was initially thought to be a runaway. Although it has been decades since she was last seen in Hot Springs, Arkansas, little is known about Lynn, who went by her middle name so I will refer to her as such, and what happened to her remains a mystery. Investigators reportedly have a person of interest, but they have kept information regarding this 16-year-old’s missing person case veiled from the public.

On December 4, 1985, in the wake of the holiday season, Jeffrey Lynn Smith was last seen walking home from school with her boyfriend, Frank Hannah. According to Hannah, he parted ways with Lynn just a few blocks away from her home and didn’t know what happened to his girlfriend. When Lynn didn’t make it home, her panicked family called the authorities, but like many Black teens who fail to contact their parents, Arkansas police treated Jeffrey Lynn Smith like a runaway and did not adequately investigate her case in its onset.

One would think that with the teen’s mother being former President Bill Clinton’s housekeeper, someone would have reinvestigated this case sooner.

“She was walking home with her boyfriend, Frank Hannah, and a friend, Lisa. My aunt actually saw them walking home and she stopped and asked them if they wanted a ride,” said Lynn’s sister Lisa Smith in 2017. “They said, ‘No, we are fine.’ We since have communicated with Lisa and Lisa’s like, ‘I left. Parted ways with them, and was headed home. They just kept walking.’ But that’s the last time anybody’s seen her.”

Hannah was reportedly questioned by authorities and while the details of their conversations are unknown to the public, they have been described as being inconsistent. Authorities did not reportedly press Hannah about his girlfriend’s whereabouts. Early on in the investigation, Lynn’s sister Lisa claimed that Hannah stayed close by the Smith family’s side, but things soon changed. Just prior to going missing, Lynn was gifted a gold ring with an opal in it for her 16th birthday, and later, it was found at a pawn shop. It was a ring that Lynn reportedly loved and guarded fiercely. It is suspected that Hannah pawned the piece of jewelry, but that has not been proven.

During the investigation, nearby woods and fields were searched but there wasn’t anything that could help in finding Jeffrey Lynn Smith.

Lynn’s family has never given up on searching for the truth of what happened to the teen and after much persistence, the case was reopened in 2012 and reclassified as an endangered missing child case. Authorities reportedly stated that they have a person of interest.

“We want to know what happened and we want to as well, have justice for her,” said sister Lisa. “Mom called me and said, ‘She didn’t come home last night’ and that’s when we started getting concerned just immediately.” She believes that Lynn suffered a tragic fate.

“I, myself, am 99.9 percent certain that she was murdered. We want to get her remains. We want to have answers. We hope to, at some point, know what happened, as painful as that might be,” Lisa said. “All the work that is done with this event gives her life meaning to me because these are all things she wouldn’t be able to do herself because her life has been taken from her. She was sixteen years old. Who knows what wonderful things she could have accomplished.”

At the time of her disappearance, Jeffrey Lynn Smith stood 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighed 110 pounds. She had black/dark brown hair and brown eyes. Both of her ears are pierced and she has a mole on the right side of her chin. Lynn was last seen wearing pink pants, a brown jacket, and brown/tan shoes. Her dental records and fingerprints are not available, but her DNA is reportedly on file. She would be 51-years-old at the time of this publication.

Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact the Hot Springs Police Department at (501) 321-6789 or their local authorities. The agency case numbers are 8510374/02L002125.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back