Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

Jian Ghomeshi pens essay about trial in N.Y. Review of Books
September 14, 2018
"TORONTO -- Disgraced former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has penned a personal essay in which he expresses "deep remorse" for the way he treated some people, admitting he was "demanding on dates" and "emotionally thoughtless."

"In the article, titled "Reflections from a Hashtag," published online Friday in The New York Review of Books, Ghomeshi also reveals that he had suicidal thoughts in the aftermath of the allegations and reflects on his trajectory from a high-profile radio host to a self-described "outcast."

"I've become a hashtag. One of my female friends quips that I should get some kind of public recognition as a .MeToo pioneer," he writes in the approximately 3,400-word piece. "There are lots of guys more hated than me now. But I was the guy everyone hated first."

Jian Ghomeshi pens essay about trial in N.Y. Review of Books
September 14, 2018
"TORONTO -- Disgraced former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi has penned a personal essay in which he expresses "deep remorse" for the way he treated some people, admitting he was "demanding on dates" and "emotionally thoughtless."

"In the article, titled "Reflections from a Hashtag," published online Friday in The New York Review of Books, Ghomeshi also reveals that he had suicidal thoughts in the aftermath of the allegations and reflects on his trajectory from a high-profile radio host to a self-described "outcast."

"I've become a hashtag. One of my female friends quips that I should get some kind of public recognition as a .MeToo pioneer," he writes in the approximately 3,400-word piece. "There are lots of guys more hated than me now. But I was the guy everyone hated first."
I will reserve judgement until I read the whole thing but these excerpts quoted here by CP24 do not warm the heart and stir any kind of empathy... And wow: "a #MeToo pioneer" is surely a victim and not an aggressor...kinda obtuse Jian.

I haven't followed this story but . . . How do you legally get fired over a crime that the prosecution cannot prove you committed?

Ghomeshi's essay is available in its entirety at the New York Review of Books website:
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/10/11/reflections-hashtag/

I must say, I'm a little bit disappointed in this first public foray. Obtuse, self-serving and more than a little narcissistic, in my opinion. For a guy who was a CBC radio star, this piece is lacking in the kind of "sound-bites" that many would have anticipated... and it is studded with defensive and justificatory language that is irritating and disheartening in this era (and in history generally :( )

NY Review of Books editor leaves job amid backlash to Ghomeshi essay
September 19, 2018
NEW YORK -- An editor at the New York Review of Books has parted ways with the prestigious literary publication amid controversy over his decision to publish a personal essay by disgraced former radio host Jian Ghomeshi.

A publicist for the magazine confirmed Wednesday that Ian Buruma, who was appointed as editor of the New York Review of Books in late 2017, no longer works for the publication.

NY Review of Books editor leaves job amid backlash to Ghomeshi essay
September 19, 2018
NEW YORK -- An editor at the New York Review of Books has parted ways with the prestigious literary publication amid controversy over his decision to publish a personal essay by disgraced former radio host Jian Ghomeshi.

A publicist for the magazine confirmed Wednesday that Ian Buruma, who was appointed as editor of the New York Review of Books in late 2017, no longer works for the publication.

Slate published an interview with Buruma (after the publishing of Ghomeshi's piece but before his firing). He seems to argue that his interest in publishing the essay was to gain insight in to the life of a person who had fallen from public favor. However, as an editor for a respected literary journal, I think he could have ensured a better balance. In his remarks Buruma seems part apologist, part enabler - and sadly, totally missing the zeitgeist bus!
Why Did the New York Review of Books Publish That Jian Ghomeshi Essay? We Asked the Editor.

'The Ghomeshi Effect' recounts stories of sexual assault through dance
Through a powerful combination of words and movements, a documentary dance-theatre performance called The Ghomeshi Effect highlights issues of sexual violence in Canada, particularly within the legal system. The script tells the stories of survivors, word for word, from over 40 interviews conducted by director Jessica Ruano.
“The play is not about Jian Ghomeshi or that trial; it's about the response that has occurred since then and people coming out and telling their stories and questioning things and addressing maybe some gaps in the way the system currently works,”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back