JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not there yet, but there's more and more evidence that DNA forensics still have a whole lot of room for improvement. For me, I saw a program on this case a few years ago, and a shadow of doubt on DNA profiling was cast for me..I wouldn't be a very good juror for a case based on DNA as the primary piece of evidence:

She's Her Own Twin
Aug. 15, 2006
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/shes-twin/story?id=2315693

...DNA tests were considered infallible -- the gold standard in court. DNA showed that Fairchild's genetic makeup did not match that of her children.

It's a rare condition called chimerism, with only 30 documented cases worldwide.

They claim it's rare, but how in the world do they know that? The two cases in the story were found due to rare circumstances...

Not sure if this of OT, but in the discussion of DNA and crime, I think it's pretty interesting.
Okay, DNA may not.match within a family, but your own DNA would match up. Is there something I'm missing ?

Okay, DNA may not.match within a family, but your own DNA would match up. Is there something I'm missing ?

No, there would be two separate set of DNA in one person--say their own hair sample wouldn't match their own saliva sample, for example.

Perhaps there was an article describing in detail the victim. I did not know of any specific description so my apology if I appear misguided.

When making the assumption about the victim I believe it is wise to consider how people have a varying idea on how to practice their faith and adapt to a foreign culture. Some people simply adapt to western culture and while at home return to the standards of their culture of origin. This is especially true of a young person visiting another country or town. In a compared manner, a person from the U.S. may live in the Middle East and dress conservatively even though they have no particular faith because of the expectations of that culture.

Does it seem reasonable to be cautious when placing a particular image of the victims character or manner.

It was not my intent to paint, pigeonhole, or otherwise stereotype. I am offended by some of what has been said about JM and his family, so I try to be as neutral as possible.

If you scan 2/3 down the page of the article, you will see details about the victim I referenced. I think that what I have questioned in regard to the likelihood of her returning to face her attacker given her potential religious beliefs has merit. The author of the article, Courteney Stuart, is not one for giving superfluous detail in any of her writing, so I think it is acceptable to infer her cultural or spiritual milieu, and that this may somehow may be relevant to how this case plays out.

http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

I made an error in reading your comment and totally missed the reference. I had removed my comment and it seems that you were able to capture it before it was removed. Interesting point though. There are so many people affected by JLM's actions even though they may be distant from where the crimes occurred.
'

No, there would be two separate set of DNA in one person--say their own hair sample wouldn't match their own saliva sample, for example.

I have been reading some fascinating anecdotes on how DNA transfer has ended up really confusing LE. It also is proving that the presence of DNA needs to be viewed in light of other evidence.

The phantom of Heilbronn is the most outlandish. A woman's DNA surfaced in 40 cases across Europe from 1993-2009 but LE could never find any forensic trace of her at any crime scenes. German police dubbed her the most dangerous woman in Europe. Turns out her DNA was already on the swabs used in collecting evidence when they were shipped out. A woman employed by a factory in Bavaria that manufactured the swabs was inadvertently transferring her DNA onto them.

The other more recently happened in San Jose where a homeless man's DNA all but secured a conviction even though he had an airtight alibi. The night his genetic print was discovered at the crime scene, he was actually in a hospital bed. How could his DNA have been found on the victim's body? An EMS tech transported the homeless guy to the hospital and later on responded to the homicide, so he was like a DNA courier. He picked up the homeless guy's DNA then unwittingly transferred it onto the victim later on. Too crazy. Wonder what the Random Probability Match is on that one!

I made an error in reading your comment and totally missed the reference. I had removed my comment and it seems that you were able to capture it before it was removed. Interesting point though. There are so many people affected by JLM's actions even though they may be distant from where the crimes occurred.
'

No harm. It is really easy to misunderstand each other out here anyway. :)

I was actually thinking that if she did have some cultural differences, it was even more brave of her to come forward. Props to the officer too who took her seriously and followed through in the case. I think of what young women face when they try to report sexual assaults in their own schools; colleges these days don't make it easy for them to come forward or take rape seriously. It is one of those instances where just one person can make a huge difference!

I have been reading some fascinating anecdotes on how DNA transfer has ended up really confusing LE. It also is proving that the presence of DNA needs to be viewed in light of other evidence.

The phantom of Heilbronn is the most outlandish. A woman's DNA surfaced in 40 cases across Europe from 1993-2009 but LE could never find any forensic trace of her at any crime scenes. German police dubbed her the most dangerous woman in Europe. Turns out her DNA was already on the swabs used in collecting evidence when they were shipped out. A woman employed by a factory in Bavaria that manufactured the swabs was inadvertently transferring her DNA onto them.

The other more recently happened in San Jose where a homeless man's DNA all but secured a conviction even though he had an airtight alibi. The night his genetic print was discovered at the crime scene, he was actually in a hospital bed. How could his DNA have been found on the victim's body? An EMS tech transported the homeless guy to the hospital and later on responded to the homicide, so he was like a DNA courier. He picked up the homeless guy's DNA then unwittingly transferred it onto the victim later on. Too crazy. Wonder what the Random Probability Match is on that one!

When you add the types of human-error mistakes to the possibility that there are more DNA similarities than previously expected, DNA can be dangerous!! The randomness of it is based on mathematical probability, which is based only on what is known. If every single person was swabbed and entered into a database, wonder how many profiles would be identical? Add in the missing samples that are never obtained from people with more than one DNA sample? It could very well be that thousands and thousands of people have the same DNA profile.

Well, you might say that. But then again, an atheist may think "may God have mercy on his soul" is an odd quote. JMO

Well, you might say that. But then again, an atheist may think "may God have mercy on his soul" is an odd quote. JMO

I wasn't really looking at it from a religious perspective so much. What I found odd is that amongst a bunch of messages to HG on HER memorial there is a message asking for for forgiveness.

I'm going to take my response to Charlie Chan and 4 Free Speech to the 'What Do We Know About Hannah Graham' thread since conjectures about the HG Memorial are not about the Fairfax Rape.

I wasn't really looking at it from a religious perspective so much. What I found odd is that amongst a bunch of messages to HG on HER memorial there is a message asking for for forgiveness.

The expression is a supportive one about her spirit that she may not have had time to request and so others pray for her and acknowledge the horrible act that we may all not hold hatred in our heart and thus be drawn to evil thoughts .... etc.

This is a good link to support my following comment. It has other good references

http://www.excelatlife.com/articles.../www.excelatlife.com/articles/forgiveness.htm

Forgiveness is part of the healing process. This should not have happened. People where in the wrong place and time. The person who did this is serverly disturbed. We are all injured just by knowing about Hannah and so just an crumb of forgiveness helps a person heal.

Some may find this a useful refrence. It is popular among those that minister to a person that may be grieving.

http://www.thegrievingheart.info/forgiveness.html

Some describe grief to have five stages in the complete process of grieving: and forgiveness fits into that as well

There is no constant in the griefing process with time or intensity but there are distinct characteristics that describe a person's emotions as they process what they lost.

You might say, the sleuths help in the grieving process by allowing discussion. We might also find hints of the grieving dispostion as we look at the dialog over time.

Grief may be experienced in this way as an example: Starting with expressions of disbelief, then sorting information, expressing prayer and hope, .. feeling disbelief, ... expressing denial, ... anger, ...hate, ...defensiveness, .... self medicating, ....learning more, ....resolving, ... acceptance of the facts, ... compassion, ....learning to not accept the act ..... but to forgive the person for they are fallable, hope that they may change, ... finding self worth, resolving to make changes, and finally moving on.

It can take a life time with some stuck in a particular mode and they may need help to move to the next stages.

We might be reliving some personal issues as we read or participate in this forum.

So, God help us heal, help us forgive.

So, may God forgive him because we find it hard to forgive or can not forgive such a horrible act.

And just before He died .......

Corinthians 34: But Jesus was saying, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."

http://biblehub.com/luke/23-34.htm

Can this be the reason for the writing you have read ?

SolverGameChanger - For the Fairfax rape victim, and for the parents and loved ones of Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham, victims of the actions of Jesse Leroy Matthew, both JUSTICE and Forgiveness are essential to healing. Justice means knowing the Truth and stopping a perpetrator from taking the lives of more victims. Forgiveness means letting go of poisonous emotions, but it does not mean stopping the course of Justice.

They have his DNA from the rape victim. I believe she will show up and testify, but even if she does not, they have his DNA, and it also matches with DNA found on Morgan Harrington. He is going down. I would not be surprised if he tried to spare his own life by admitting to 20 or so murders. This is a serial killer. I also believe that a passerby scared him away. It's not his MO to just leave a body close to the public. He has been bringing the bodies to remote places. Maybe we will find out where he hid Alexis Murphy. I think the police know that the man they have in prison for Alexis Murphy's murder did not act alone. If he were to admit involvement, then he is admitting guilt. It's too bad we do not pay alot of attention to non-white girls who go missing. He had to kill another white girl for us to get the media attention all the victims deserve. Also, shame on the Colleges who covered up his rape cases; he could have been in prison all this time.

The expression is a supportive one about her spirit that she may not have had time to request and so others pray for her and acknowledge the horrible act that we may all not hold hatred in our heart and thus be drawn to evil thoughts .... etc.

This is a good link to support my following comment. It has other good references

http://www.excelatlife.com/articles.../www.excelatlife.com/articles/forgiveness.htm

Forgiveness is part of the healing process. This should not have happened. People where in the wrong place and time. The person who did this is serverly disturbed. We are all injured just by knowing about Hannah and so just an crumb of forgiveness helps a person heal.

Some may find this a useful refrence. It is popular among those that minister to a person that may be grieving.

http://www.thegrievingheart.info/forgiveness.html

Some describe grief to have five stages in the complete process of grieving: and forgiveness fits into that as well

There is no constant in the griefing process with time or intensity but there are distinct characteristics that describe a person's emotions as they process what they lost.

You might say, the sleuths help in the grieving process by allowing discussion. We might also find hints of the grieving dispostion as we look at the dialog over time.

Grief may be experienced in this way as an example: Starting with expressions of disbelief, then sorting information, expressing prayer and hope, .. feeling disbelief, ... expressing denial, ... anger, ...hate, ...defensiveness, .... self medicating, ....learning more, ....resolving, ... acceptance of the facts, ... compassion, ....learning to not accept the act ..... but to forgive the person for they are fallable, hope that they may change, ... finding self worth, resolving to make changes, and finally moving on.

It can take a life time with some stuck in a particular mode and they may need help to move to the next stages.

We might be reliving some personal issues as we read or participate in this forum.

So, God help us heal, help us forgive.

So, may God forgive him because we find it hard to forgive or can not forgive such a horrible act.

And just before He died .......

Corinthians 34: But Jesus was saying, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."

http://biblehub.com/luke/23-34.htm

Can this be the reason for the writing you have read ?

I understand the importance of forgiveness in regards to health & well being. I just found the quote "May Allah forgive all" to be quite odd written on the memorial of a young lady you was recently murdered. The rest of the messages left on the memorial seem to be well wishes for HG and her family. This one message in particular just seems out of place.. IDK JMO

They have his DNA from the rape victim. I believe she will show up and testify, but even if she does not, they have his DNA, and it also matches with DNA found on Morgan Harrington. He is going down. I would not be surprised if he tried to spare his own life by admitting to 20 or so murders. This is a serial killer. I also believe that a passerby scared him away. It's not his MO to just leave a body close to the public. He has been bringing the bodies to remote places. Maybe we will find out where he hid Alexis Murphy. I think the police know that the man they have in prison for Alexis Murphy's murder did not act alone. If he were to admit involvement, then he is admitting guilt. It's too bad we do not pay alot of attention to non-white girls who go missing. He had to kill another white girl for us to get the media attention all the victims deserve. Also, shame on the Colleges who covered up his rape cases; he could have been in prison all this time.

A thought, the boldness of the attachk in Fairfax was a result of more than one person assisting or a result of encouraging eachother. When someone came near the attack, the other alerted the attacker. A second person can remain out of sight. I realize that there is no mention of another person but I believe a second person assisting can be a reason other victims are not found. Especially since this is an early stage of public attacks associated with JLM.

A thought, the boldness of the attachk in Fairfax was a result of more than one person assisting or a result of encouraging eachother. When someone came near the attack, the other alerted the attacker. A second person can remain out of sight. I realize that there is no mention of another person but I believe a second person assisting can be a reason other victims are not found. Especially since this is an early stage of public attacks associated with JLM.

I don't know... it seems a little weird that there would be a second person in a blitz attack like this one. It doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I find all rape and murder unconscionable, but why would a second person just hang out and watch someone grab a person with groceries and rape them and murder them (presumed intent)? Not something that adds up to me. But JMO.

I really believe she will testify. I think she understands the seriousness, and will not let JM go unpunished. She knows she was just lucky.

Also, JM choked her to unconsciousness, and I think he DID think he killed her. He just couldn't be sure because he was interrupted.
I don't think he left anything to chance after this. JMHO

As I've stated, I hope she will testify. But it is possible that she will not. LE isn't always forthright about this sort of thing. I know several cases in my area, where at the very last minute a witness refused to testify, victims refused to come forward. A lot of times, LE will keep a dialogue with the victim/witness, keep in touch, tell them that they may not have to go to court, but that leading the perps to think they will, could result in a guilty plea and some harsh time, whereas if it is right out in the open that the victim isn't coming, LE doesn't have a case. JM's attorney understands how this works, I 'm sure. So until she actually shows up, this will be something hanging. No case if she doesn't show, is what I understand in VA.

That we THINK JM did this or that, isn't going to be the issue, but whether the DA will be able to prove it. One can spin a great tale that makes perfect sense and fits, but it needs more than that to stand up in court. The neighbor who came out there clearly did not see what happened, did not call the authorities. That he heard something and maybe called out and came closer to the scene doesn't mean that JM was even aware he was there, and may have had nothing to do with whether he stopped when he did. The woman was not so terribly injured that she could not get up and make her way into the complex, ring a doorbell, and she even picked up some of her scattered groceries. She was able to talk too. So proving that JM was intending to kill her is not going to be so easy. The injuries that were established at the hospital will give a good indication of how badly she was hurt and possibly how close to killing her he came. Can't prove that he thought he killed her and stopped at that point for that reason, or because he heard someone coming near by.

As I've stated, I hope she will testify. But it is possible that she will not. LE isn't always forthright about this sort of thing. I know several cases in my area, where at the very last minute a witness refused to testify, victims refused to come forward. A lot of times, LE will keep a dialogue with the victim/witness, keep in touch, tell them that they may not have to go to court, but that leading the perps to think they will, could result in a guilty plea and some harsh time, whereas if it is right out in the open that the victim isn't coming, LE doesn't have a case. JM's attorney understands how this works, I 'm sure. So until she actually shows up, this will be something hanging. No case if she doesn't show, is what I understand in VA.

That we THINK JM did this or that, isn't going to be the issue, but whether the DA will be able to prove it. One can spin a great tale that makes perfect sense and fits, but it needs more than that to stand up in court. The neighbor who came out there clearly did not see what happened, did not call the authorities. That he heard something and maybe called out and came closer to the scene doesn't mean that JM was even aware he was there, and may have had nothing to do with whether he stopped when he did. The woman was not so terribly injured that she could not get up and make her way into the complex, ring a doorbell, and she even picked up some of her scattered groceries. She was able to talk too. So proving that JM was intending to kill her is not going to be so easy. The injuries that were established at the hospital will give a good indication of how badly she was hurt and possibly how close to killing her he came. Can't prove that he thought he killed her and stopped at that point for that reason, or because he heard someone coming near by.

Some may wish to not testify because they have to live in a community and may know friends or relatives or just don't want to go through it because they live there.

Rape is not accepted in most cultures and is being discussed in lots,

After all, even in the US we had prominent men talking about "legitimate rape".

In India, a group of men and women attacked a rapist

Look at the courage of Malala.

In many countries, such as India, women have held the top post in govt, something the US has yet to do.

To me, having this woman come back and testify makes perfect sense.

I am glad she is a mother. I was worried that he injured her too much.

For some reason, I see this as a distinct possibility. I wonder if someone was grooming JM? Has it been confirmed that he is related to the "Cville Rapist"?
Also, I remember in one of these articles that the perp in this case (JM) said something along the lines of "I am just waiting for a friend"
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member