JLM *GUILTY* in 2005 Fairfax County Rape Case #2

Reading through Neal Augenstein's blog ... wow. JM didn't cooperate with the officer on the sentencing report. Didn't speak in court. No remorse. Made survivor travel and testify only to do Alford plea. Glad the judge threw the book at him.

I wonder if this will influence his willingness to take a plea in either Hannah's or Morgan's cases? I know the Harringtons have indicated their openness to a plea. I mean, he's not getting out of jail, ever, and why chance death penalty?

I simply can't fathom that, especially since it was apparently directed towards the judge (according to WTOP). The pain this man has inflicted on so many. It truly breaks my heart.

Astridxx, thanks for being there. You must be quite shaken up yourself.

I was able to sit in when the nurse who examined the victim was on the stand. It doesn't compare to today's sit-in. My heart was beating so fast the whole time. I'm lucky I work for two attorneys who allowed me to go across the street to watch! (I mean, I had discoveries to drop off anyway so... That was my excuse lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading through Neal Augenstein's blog ... wow. JM didn't cooperate with the officer on the sentencing report. Didn't speak in court. No remorse. Made survivor travel and testify only to do Alford plea. Glad the judge threw the book at him.

I wonder if this will influence his willingness to take a plea in either Hannah's or Morgan's cases? I know the Harringtons have indicated their openness to a plea. I mean, he's not getting out of jail, ever, and why chance death penalty?

I would think that his lawyers will try to plea bargain to take the death penalty off the table. He would be foolish not to at this point....

I'm so glad to read this! It is refreshing to see such a brutal and hellacious crime be prosecuted so intensely and sentenced so harshly. I honestly get weary of light sentences for men who rape and inflict brutality of this kind. This is a really evil man, and in my mind, unable to be rehabilitated. Again, God Bless RG for her tenacity.

And prayers for Morgan & Hannah's families as they wait for the next phase of their awful quest for justice.

In re: his mom saying rot in hell .... Could have been directed at the defense attorneys. He had two public defenders and a privately retained one. Word on the street is the retained attorney advised him to enter the Alford plea, saying "they'll only give you 10 years," while his public defenders told him not to take that plea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a sicko. I think he always knew he would plea guilty in some form or another because he has no defense. But I think he wanted to force the victim to testify and relive the horrible things he did to her. To force the Graham and Harrington families to hear what he probably did to their daughters before he killed them. To force LE to think about how if they'd caught him sooner two young women would still be alive. It gives him one last power trip.

Thank you to Fairfax County judge David Schell for ensuring that justice was served. Not one or two but three life sentences ensures that in case something happens during the appeals process one of the sentences will hold up. And in case somehow the murder trials for Morgan and Hannah don't succeed this will never see the outside world or have the opportunity to brutalize another innocent person. Thank you Judge Schell for considering all of the testimony meant to invoke sympathy for JM and then bringing the hammer of justice down loud and clear.

Wow, astridxx, what an experience! Thanks for being there and hope you're ok :)

I saw the sentencing last night but only just got on here to catch up with what everyone is saying about it. It's great to see a suitable sentence dished out, he deserves nothing less. All the best to RG in hopefully moving on with her life. What a woman.

Apparently his mom said "rot in hell;" I heard her say something in between the sobbing but I couldn't make it out.

Thanks for sharing the trial coverage with us here!
As for JM' smother, maybe somewhere from the depths of her soul, she is projecting onto others her true feelings about Jm, that he is the one who should " rot in hell"? imo.

I got nothing to say except Woo Hoo! It's about damned time rape is treated as the deadly serious crime it is.

I got nothing to say except Woo Hoo! It's about damned time rape is treated as the deadly serious crime it is.

Theres no doubt in my mind that he would have killed this woman if he hadnt been interrupted.

I just saw the news and have to say that I am happy with the decision.

I dont think he will end up serving even 20 years because I think he deserves and will get the death penalty in the Hannah Graham case.

As to his mothers comments about "rotting in hell" I seriously hope she was referring to her son, lest her own soul be placed in jeopardy for defending such a monster.

What a sicko. I think he always knew he would plea guilty in some form or another because he has no defense. But I think he wanted to force the victim to testify and relive the horrible things he did to her. To force the Graham and Harrington families to hear what he probably did to their daughters before he killed them. To force LE to think about how if they'd caught him sooner two young women would still be alive. It gives him one last power trip.

i think you are totally correct here. it's well known that serial killers like this often have "trophies" or tokens that remind them of their crime. he is reliving the "thrill" through the on-going trials, hearings, and testimony.

Theres no doubt in my mind that he would have killed this woman if he hadnt been interrupted.

I just saw the news and have to say that I am happy with the decision.

I dont think he will end up serving even 20 years because I think he deserves and will get the death penalty in the Hannah Graham case.

As to his mothers comments about "rotting in hell" I seriously hope she was referring to her son, lest her own soul be placed in jeopardy for defending such a monster.

I have no doubt about it either. I'm still delightedly shocked by the severity of his sentence. As for his mother....... I never underestimate the power of willing denial in the parent of someone like JM. I'd bet good money her comments were directed at any and everyone except JM.

http://http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/virginia-jesse-matthew/index.html

This article from CNN states "Matthew could be eligible to get out when he turns 60 years old -- a geriatric release program that applies to similar cases, Morrogh said."

I'm going to research the geriatric release program the prosecutor (Ray Morrogh) cited.

This article:
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/uncommon-freedom-geriatric-release-prison-rare

states less than 1% of eligible prisoners receive a geriatric release annually, and the biggest consideration is threat to the community. If he is convicted of capital murder he'll never be eligible. Luckily, looks like it's very improbably he'll qualify.

This article:
http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/uncommon-freedom-geriatric-release-prison-rare

states less than 1% of eligible prisoners receive a geriatric release annually, and the biggest consideration is threat to the community. If he is convicted of capital murder he'll never be eligible. Luckily, looks like it's very improbably he'll qualify.

Having retired from teaching in the Virginia prison system, I would agree that it's rare, even when the offender has a terminal disease....

A lovely tribute to the detective who was so instrumental in this case:

A major turning point in solving Graham’s 2014 killing and Harrington’s 2009 death came as Boone — then a City of Fairfax police detective — was investigating the long-unsolved 2005 brutal attack of a woman in Fairfax.

After Jesse Leroy Matthew was arrested in connection with Graham’s disappearance, Boone noticed his physical resemblance to a police sketch provided by the victim in the Fairfax case, who was attacked as she walked home with arms full of groceries.

Boone got a DNA swab from Matthew, which matched DNA found under the fingernail of the Fairfax victim, who had scratched and fought her attacker.

“Mike was an old-school detective and a dogged truth-seeker,” former Fairfax County prosecutor Ray Morrogh said, reflecting on Boone’s role in the Fairfax case.

“He stayed in touch with our victim, who had returned to Asia after the attack, for a decade until the killer’s identity emerged,” said Morrogh. “And when our victim told us she was unwilling to come back to the U.S. to testify for fear of repercussions in her village, he agreed to travel with me to Asia to try to convince her to testify for the sake of other women.”

More at link ...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500