JLM: Other Possible Victims - #2

Due to the Hannah Graham case, look what is now being proposed in Virginia:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/o...cle_77627251-376b-5b68-934c-43a3fc2c60a6.html

Collecting DNA from people convicted of misdemeanors may sound like a great idea that will make the public feel better, but with a backlog of unprocessed rape kits in the "hundreds of thousands," I'm afraid it won't make any difference unless a high-profile victim is raped. Had JLM been charged with rape at Liberty University, perhaps many women and their families would have been spared the anguish of rape, and then later, rape and murder. Taking rape allegations seriously and treating them as the crime they are is what will help prevent more rapes and murders of women, IMO.

Due to the Hannah Graham case, look what is now being proposed in Virginia:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/o...cle_77627251-376b-5b68-934c-43a3fc2c60a6.html

I do not agree they should be collecting DNA for misdemeanors.
However the colleges should have reported Mathews . Then his DNA would have been on file.
Once DNA is the only tool used in convictions and everyone's DNA is on file ,it can cause just as much damage to case as having an unknown suspect.IMVHO

However the colleges should have reported Mathews . Then his DNA would have been on file.
Once DNA is the only tool used in convictions and everyone's DNA is on file ,it can cause just as much damage to case as having an unknown suspect.IMVHO

Here's what I think should be done:

1. DAY ONE - Freshman orientation and sports scholarship recipients should be told that one rape accusation or use of false ID and their DNA will be taken BY LAW ENFORCEMENT and filed in National Data Bank as a potential offender. That should sober them up and make them think.

2. ANY repeat offender - third offense misdemeanors (speeding, trespassing, DUI, false ID, etc.) should have to submit DNA. Repeat behavior shows contempt for law and order and other people's rights, means they are potential felony offender.

Knowing their DNA is on file will work as a deterrent for future unlawful behaviors.

It might help with college crimes but unfortunately that leaves a lot of perps roaming that aren't enrolled;I'm sure 'the rights folks' would shoot it down fast. Maybe if all women would go to LE instead of the universities to report crimes,they wouldn't be hidden to maintain the schools image.

It might help with college crimes but unfortunately that leaves a lot of perps roaming that aren't enrolled;I'm sure 'the rights folks' would shoot it down fast. Maybe if all women would go to LE instead of the universities to report crimes,they wouldn't be hidden to maintain the schools image.

Well - it would put a screeching squelch on Frat-Party-Drug-Rapes and Student Athlete rapes. Maybe they ought to require parents to attend the Freshman/Athletic Scholarship warnings about mandatory DNA samples to LE. Maybe there ought to be a fee and/or a fine for those offenses as well.

It's time to require students to behave like civilized human beings with a modicum of self-control and consciences instead of animals.

I am hoping one of our brilliant young minds will make a breakthrough and find a new and revolutionary way to quickly process DNA for identification.
I don't think that would be impossible.

On the gathering of DNA, I favor the idea of taking DNA of repeat offenders of lesser crimes.

I am hoping one of our brilliant young minds will make a breakthrough and find a new and revolutionary way to quickly process DNA for identification.
I don't think that would be impossible.

On the gathering of DNA, I favor the idea of taking DNA of repeat offenders of lesser crimes.

Now that you say that:

Here is a link to a chart of DNA processing, the cost, and time.
http://img.deusm.com/eetimes/2014/08/1323600/InSilixia-compared.jpg

The only noted portable DNA tester is being tested for approval by FDA in a few months.

The unit cost $250, tests cost $20, process time is 1 hr.

Here is a clip from the article:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1323600

People, Process, Paper work, analysis, confirmation, etc are what delay results because of the serious and critical consequences to any errors.

Now, police stations have the potential to manage a DNA lab once the handheld DNA sampler is approved for use in law enforcement.

Buy one for your home :) at $250 and go sleuthing.

So, within 5 yrs the courts may approve the use of handhelds and frequent sampling for law enforcement. IMO

and now we have even better news to support funding of the overload of rape testing in the link below.

http://time.com/3582735/rape-dna-test-kits-funding/

This technology has other fantastic uses

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ests-crack-medical-mysteries-otherwise-missed

Now that you say that:

Here is a link to a chart of DNA processing, the cost, and time.
http://img.deusm.com/eetimes/2014/08/1323600/InSilixia-compared.jpg

The only noted portable DNA tester is being tested for approval by FDA in a few months.

The unit cost $250, tests cost $20, process time is 1 hr.

Here is a clip from the article:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1323600

People, Process, Paper work, analysis, confirmation, etc are what delay results because of the serious and critical consequences to any errors.

Now, police stations have the potential to manage a DNA lab once the handheld DNA sampler is approved for use in law enforcement.

Buy one for your home :) at $250 and go sleuthing.

So, within 5 yrs the courts may approve the use of handhelds and frequent sampling for law enforcement. IMO

and now we have even better news to support funding of the overload of rape testing in the link below.

http://time.com/3582735/rape-dna-test-kits-funding/

This technology has other fantastic uses

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ests-crack-medical-mysteries-otherwise-missed
WOW!!!
Now, That was quick! LOL

This is amazing! Thanks SolverGC. (not publically traded??? - rats!).

I don't think they should collect for most misdemeanors. But I do think they should collect for misdemeanor trespassing, burglary, simple assault, stalking, etc. Misdemeanors that have a tendency to precede more violent crimes or be used as a cover for interrupted violent crimes, basically. IMO.

I know it's only been a week so it's early to hear anything yet, but I'm anxious that Isle of Wight County LE and Newport News LE may not think to test the remains found last week to see if they belong to Autumn Day or Sophie Rivera. I can't find anywhere to submit an online tip. I know it's not all that likely to be one of them, but I hope they at least check.

EDIT: Or Julie Fraser, I didn't realize Norfolk was so close to that area, too.

Here's another story on the funding for testing DNA rape kits nation-wide: http://observer.com/2014/11/cyrus-v...unce-35-million-to-test-rape-kits-nationwide/

^^^^^THIS :loveyou: "Out of 11,000 untested rape kits in Detroit, prosecutors found 1,600 DNA samples that were later involved in rapes elsewhere – including New York.
“We’re funding this project because rape is not a local crime,” Mr. Vance said. “Many who rape, rape again — and they rape again elsewhere. That’s what makes the backlog a national problem. DNA evidence solves crime across state lines and throughout the country.”

This may impact JLM as well as many other rapists across the country in the very near future. Very good news for all of the thousands who have been denied justice.

Laura French @lfrenchnews · 53m 53 minutes ago
#RandyTaylor has been transferred to the Powhatan Correctional Center in Maidens, Va. #AlexisMurphy @CBS6

Taken from post #51 here. . . http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?259956-Possible-Links-between-RAT-and-JM/page3
It doesn't sound like RAT fits the criteria for being an inmate here (taken from the website):

Security Level 3 - Assignment Criteria:
Single, multiple, & Life + sentences must have served 20 consecutive years on sentence. If parole eligible, must have reached PED. No disruptive behavior for at least past 24 months prior to consideration for a transfer to any less-secure facility. Numerical sentences must have less than 40 years to release or have served 20 consecutive years.

He's also not listed as being an inmate there:

http://vadoc.virginia.gov/offenders/locator/results.aspx

I find these two details strange.
Why was he relocated, and do we know if hes just there temporarily?

It doesn't sound like RAT fits the criteria for being an inmate here (taken from the website):

Security Level 3 - Assignment Criteria:
Single, multiple, & Life + sentences must have served 20 consecutive years on sentence. If parole eligible, must have reached PED. No disruptive behavior for at least past 24 months prior to consideration for a transfer to any less-secure facility. Numerical sentences must have less than 40 years to release or have served 20 consecutive years.

He's also not listed as being an inmate there:

http://vadoc.virginia.gov/offenders/locator/results.aspx

I find these two details strange.
Why was he relocated, and do we know if hes just there temporarily?

I'm completely with you, themom.

RAT was just sentenced in July, if I'm not mistaken, so he's served less than 5 months which makes the move seem odd. I attempted to find out if it was simply a matter of overcrowding and they chose to transfer him because he's a long term inmate but fell short of finding definitive stats for either facility.

Occasionally, they will transfer an inmate if it puts them in a more reasonable position to have family visit but that's usually a request made at sentencing. This also doesn't seem to fit RAT as I believe his family is in Ruckersville.

So, I'm interested to see what the justification for the move ends up being.

I'm completely with you, themom.

RAT was just sentenced in July, if I'm not mistaken, so he's served less than 5 months which makes the move seem odd. I attempted to find out if it was simply a matter of overcrowding and they chose to transfer him because he's a long term inmate but fell short of finding definitive stats for either facility.

Occasionally, they will transfer an inmate if it puts them in a more reasonable position to have family visit but that's usually a request made at sentencing. This also doesn't seem to fit RAT as I believe his family is in Ruckersville.

So, I'm interested to see what the justification for the move ends up being.
Hmmm...good thoughts. Could be an overcrowding issue. It is strange that he isn't listed as being an inmate at that facility, and that he isn't closer to family, as you mentioned...

I would guess that this facility is a better place to be, given the requirements to be there...which does make me think he's exchanged information for better accommodations, or that they did find JM to be connected.

I'm hoping we will hear more soon.

Wow. . .really interesting! Spmething about RAT being moved sent up big red flags for me. It's just so odd. Does anyone know where he was before the move? We should try to locate him.

Also. . .this should probably be in this thread instead of here :blushing:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?259956-Possible-Links-between-RAT-and-JM/page14
Agree. Let's move this convo over to that thread. I have no idea how to move posts, do you? Do we need to PM a mod? If so, I can do that.

Most of the time prisons have intake facilities ;where inmates go thru classification process.They are processed thru mental and physicals before receiving the final placement for the majority of time to be served. It takes several months with the population numbers, to have this completed. Hundreds are moving in and out during any given week. Some facilities handle different levels of processed inmates;so there is movement year round,at all facilities.Believe me it has nothing at all to do with where a particular inmate can see family .Each person is classified as to levels in the system;according to risk,convictions,etc. ;as you all know there are super max,down to work release programs and each one is designated for different classifications

From Va Dept of corrections website (see the following)
Inmate Intake and Classification
These activities ensure inmates are received and assigned to the appropriate facilities based on security needs. This is accomplished by determining release dates through time computation, proper record retention and maintenance, continuous assessment of behavioral and therapeutic developments and the appropriate assignment of inmates through population management.

Inmate Intake

Inmate Intake directs the reception of inmates from jails into the State’s prison system and is the first point of contact with DOC for most state responsible inmates. Inmate movements from local jails into a DOC reception center are monitored, tracked, and scheduled.

Once an inmate is determined to be state responsible a state identification number (Inmate Number) is issued and the inmate’s sentencing information is forwarded to Court and Legal Services for calculation of anticipated release dates. (View Guidelines for Intake and Time Computation)

Classification

Classification consists of appraisal of inmate security levels, control and therapeutic needs and placement in various program assignments. The driving forces behind all classification decisions are offense, length of sentence and behavior. (View Security Level Assignments)

Time Computation

Time Computation determines eligibility dates for parole and release through time computation management. A court order must be received from the sentencing court in order to begin to process an inmate’s time. Inmate sentences are determined by the courts and can be affected by the Code of Virginia and DOC policies and procedures. Considering all determining factors, time is calculated based on the amount of time an inmate must serve on a sentence and projects all applicable release dates. (View Guidelines for Intake and Time Computation)

Treatment Planning

Upon reception into the prison system, inmates receive a battery of tests and/or interviews to identify their security and treatment programming needs. Based on these needs, the inmate's counselor develops a written Treatment Plan outlining programs that are needed by the inmate. An inmate's progress towards meeting his/her Treatment Plan goals is evaluated and documented once per year, with the plan updated as needed. (View Inmate Programs and Services)

View the Virginia Department of Corrections Expenses View eVA Public Reports
Return to Top ↑

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member