JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, the evidence as has been presented in media so far indicates that lj is guilty of multiple things. He had a lot of support from folks in cville so it's really sad to see this unfolding!! I am sure I have angered my nephew for any thoughts that LJ could be guilty... but the picture being painted is horrible. Having spent 28 years and Cville and seeing young woman after young woman disappearing, it will be a relief if the perp is stopped... even if that person is lj.

Thank you for posting this. It is very important because I think of Ted Bundy and Ann Rule. Around his colleagues he was nice and congenial. Around others outside of it = the monster.

Do we know what kind of job he had between 2003 and the two hospital jobs? I keep thinking he was in construction or painting... Something where you would travel to different locations. Augusta Lumber is owned by someone with the last name carr but I don't think they are related.

Do we know what kind of job he had between 2003 and the two hospital jobs? I keep thinking he was in construction or painting... Something where you would travel to different locations. Augusta Lumber is owned by someone with the last name carr but I don't think they are related.

He held a taxi license from either 2005 or 2007 (depending on the source) through 2010 and attended community college in 2007, 2008, and 2011.

There's been a lot of discussion here on whether it was, or was not, DNA that LE was referring to regarding JM's link to MH and the Fairfax rape. I for one, have thought from the moment they said forensic evidence that it was something scientifically "provable", but I just now went and looked up the legal definition of "forensic evidence":

" Forensic evidence is evidence obtained by scientific methods such as ballistics, blood test, and DNA test and used in court. Forensic evidence often helps to establish the guilt or innocence of possible suspects. Analysis of forensic evidence is used in the investigation and prosecution of civil as well as criminal proceedings. Forensic evidence can be used to link crimes that are thought to be related to one another...."

From http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/forensic-evidence/

Seems to me that whatever forensic evidence they have is provable and usable in court to link JM to MH and Fairfax rape. JMO.

Forensic evidence is everything other than witness testimony. It is stuff collected, it doesn't mean it is provable, nor does it mean that it connects to a particular victim or accused. Most forensic evidence collected has nothing at all to do with the case under investigation. If they took tape samples off the car rugs for example, that would be forensic evidence, but it would not necessarily mean anything.

In this case they referred to forensic evidence as a lead in another investigation, but that does not mean that lead will go anywhere useful. For example, they might find an item of clothing that was similar to what a victim was wearing, but that could be just coincidence. They would have to prove that the item actually came from the victim and did not just look similar for it to be usable in court.

The FBI says that it was DNA that linked the MH case to the Fairfax case:
http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/pre...dia-campaign-in-morgan-harrington-murder-case
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...an-harrington-killer/morgan-harrington_060412

So now, the question is - is that DNA in fact JM's?

They did say that.

But Longo only mention forensic evidence as a lead in a murder case we presume is MH. He didn't mention any link to the rape case, which you would expect to be much more provable if there was a DNA match. That would imply that whatever forensic link they are following up on is not DNA.

Likely, LE is lying low about the 2005 rape case until they get a direct hit with the DNA taken directly from JM which would be evidence needed to go after him. I have no idea what is needed to secure a rape conviction when the victim is alive but not around, as might be the case with that woman who was raped. She might refuse to resurrect the case, and I've read that she isn't even in this country anymore. As for what they have to link with MH., LE isn't saying. When they end searching for Hannah, with or without success, they will have to procede with the charges against JM there. Levying charges, means setting a timer and things have to get rolling when they do so. With no Hannah, and not much evidence beyond what we know, nothing defintive, in a few months when things settle down a bit, the situation might look quite different for JM.

Why would they need to "lie low" on the rape but not the murder if it is indeed a match to his DNA? The case for the rape would be a lot more solid than the murder case, if DNA is the connection.

At this point they would not be looking for her cooperation. She made a complaint years ago and had samples taken. They don't need her cooperation to make a charge now (although they probably would not take it to trial under normal circumstances if she didn't), they would already have the evidence they need. If it was a match they would be filing charges.

Pah. I'm willing to bet that LE finds some evidence of Hannah in that car or on JM's clothes. I have no doubt that she was in the car. But so what? She left the mall with him, and I think it's a foregone conclusion she got into his car. No crime to hook up with her at the mall. Pretty much proof positive, she was not fighting him, was willingly with him. Plenty of witnesses for that. So she's not looking so good, looking sick, place closing down, car right there, sure he took her to the car. I don't think that helps one bit to place her in the car. So he drove her to that address and dropped her off. Or any other story, Or no story at all. You can't just make up a story and make it stick without proof when there are so many other alternatives that are possible.

If like the AM case, clear signs of struggle, injury, like blood are found, that's a whole other story, but I don't think LE is going to be any further ahead of the game in being able to simply prove she was in the car. I'm surprised they got a search warrent for it just with that.

But that is just it, there are not plenty of witnesses. We have the guy on the tape, who claimed he saw them with together with JMs arm around her, but just ahead of her was another woman with similar hair and similar dress who DID have a guy with his arm around her. How sure can we be that WG didn't just get them mixed up? After all he did apparently give an incorrect description initially. Then there is the mystery person in the bar, but no one else in the bar apparently saw them together, plus they apparently did see another woman there with a similar description. Finally, there is the door person, who found JM noteworthy enough initially when he was outside, but not noteworthy enough to remember when he came back in a few minutes later (and he did come back in), and then a short while afterwards, noteworthy enough again to see him walk buy on the street.

So there are a lot of holes in these witness accounts. Do these people really remember anything about that night accurately at all? To make the assumption that she left in his car implies that you have to accept that these accounts are accurate, and I am not sure that they are. If you remove their accounts form the equation, then you are left with JM walking by her on the street, and JM buying some drinks in the restaurant, but not much else to suggest involvement of the car.

Time. Defense usually loves time. If they don't have Hannah by then, search is off by then, it's the holidays, news is older and they can push things back and slow things down even more. With some luck another girl goes missing in a similar mode. What else is JM supposed to do anyways He might as well hunker down and enjoy his vacation in a cell.

The hearing was not pushed to December, what happened is that they waived the bond hearing, which would be the first step in the process. In a bond hearing like this the judge is basically going to ask two questions, namely (A) what is the charge? (this determines the amount bail will be set at), and (B) does the accused pose a flight risk? Since JM was already deemed to be a fugitive who had to be brought back, the answer to (B) would be that considering the charges noted in (A), he was indeed a flight risk and therefore he would be denied bail. The defense knew this and it was a waste of time to have the bond hearing, so they waived it and proceeded to the next step, which is the hearing scheduled for December. I imagine that will be some sort of a probable cause hearing.

There's been a lot of discussion here on whether it was, or was not, DNA that LE was referring to regarding JM's link to MH and the Fairfax rape. I for one, have thought from the moment they said forensic evidence that it was something scientifically "provable", but I just now went and looked up the legal definition of "forensic evidence":

" Forensic evidence is evidence obtained by scientific methods such as ballistics, blood test, and DNA test and used in court. Forensic evidence often helps to establish the guilt or innocence of possible suspects. Analysis of forensic evidence is used in the investigation and prosecution of civil as well as criminal proceedings. Forensic evidence can be used to link crimes that are thought to be related to one another...."

From http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/forensic-evidence/

Seems to me that whatever forensic evidence they have is provable and usable in court to link JM to MH and Fairfax rape. JMO.

<BBM For Focus>

MJPeony, The FBI CODIS DNA database has had the DNA of the suspect in the system since soon after after the 2005 Fairfax rape. The problem is that the suspect's identity still eluded investigators since the suspect had never been arrested or convicted of a crime that required DNA submission. When DNA was discovered during MH's abduction/murder investigation and entered into CODIS, the DNA matched the same suspect, but still no identity.

FBI - Help Us Catch a Killer
Unknown Offender Linked by DNA in Two Separate Cases
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...an-harrington-killer/morgan-harrington_060412
Suspect on ViCAP poster <Sketch>
A Familiar Face?

We are asking the public to review the sketches and other information in the Morgan Harrington and Fairfax City cases and consider whether they know someone who fits this description or who lived or had ties to the areas around the times of the assaults.

People who know the suspect may not believe he is capable of committing such crimes. He may not have a violent criminal history. Because investigators have DNA evidence that can positively link the suspect to his crimes&#8212;or exclude innocent parties&#8212;the public should not hesitate to provide information.

The Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Morgan&#8217;s murder. The band Metallica has added an additional $50,000 to that amount.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/codis-and-ndis-fact-sheet

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the CODIS Program
and the National DNA Index System

Q: What is CODIS?
A: CODIS is the acronym for the &#8220;Combined DNA Index System&#8221; and is the generic term used to describe the FBI&#8217;s program of support for criminal justice DNA databases as well as the software used to run these databases. The National DNA Index System or NDIS is considered one part of CODIS, the national level, containing the DNA profiles contributed by federal, state, and local participating forensic laboratories.
<sniped - read more>

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/lifestyle/article_a839e31a-db26-5b04-8f8d-3613fd57a23e.html

Missing peace: Morgan Harrington's parents need answers

Dan and Gil Harrington still call their daughter Morgan&#8217;s cell phone to simply listen to her voice &#8212; a voice they haven&#8217;t heard since her disappearance on Oct. 17, 2009.
&#8220;It is stupid to keep paying for her phone,&#8221; Gil Harrington said. &#8220;But we like to keep it and call her and hear her say, &#8216;I&#8217;ll get back to you as soon as I can' &#8212; but she never does.&#8221;

Dan said justice is important to him &#8212; he wants someone to pay for the crime, while his wife wants a dangerous person pulled off the streets.
&#8220;I am appalled that we have not been able to have an arrest,&#8221; he said.
There is a special agent working on Morgan&#8217;s case full time, but the Harringtons said crime investigations don&#8217;t pan out like they do on TV.
&#8220;I wish it was like &#8216;CSI&#8217; where big aha moments (happen) and everything fits into place,&#8221; Gil said. &#8220;But they are still sifting through data. It happens at a snails pace.&#8221;
Virginia allows taking DNA from criminals arrested for certain violent felonies. DNA collected is submitted to the national DNA database.
Familial DNA testing is a forensic laboratory technique that searches for a particular individual&#8217;s DNA in the database as well as any related or family DNA.
&#8220;The idea is that criminality often involves more than one person in a family,&#8221; Gil wrote in an e-mail. &#8220;If an individual is unknown, his family members would have a good idea of who and where he is.&#8221;

Gov. Bob McDonnell recently approved the use of familial DNA testing in Virginia, the third state to do so after Colorado and California.
The Harringtons were active lobbyists for the approval and said they think the technology should be available to law enforcement agencies nationwide.
Morgan&#8217;s case has been forensically linked to a 2005 rape and abduction that occurred in Fairfax, but the suspect is unknown.

But that is just it, there are not plenty of witnesses. We have the guy on the tape, who claimed he saw them with together with JMs arm around her, but just ahead of her was another woman with similar hair and similar dress who DID have a guy with his arm around her. How sure can we be that WG didn't just get them mixed up? After all he did apparently give an incorrect description initially. Then there is the mystery person in the bar, but no one else in the bar apparently saw them together, plus they apparently did see another woman there with a similar description. Finally, there is the door person, who found JM noteworthy enough initially when he was outside, but not noteworthy enough to remember when he came back in a few minutes later (and he did come back in), and then a short while afterwards, noteworthy enough again to see him walk buy on the street.

So there are a lot of holes in these witness accounts. Do these people really remember anything about that night accurately at all? To make the assumption that she left in his car implies that you have to accept that these accounts are accurate, and I am not sure that they are. If you remove their accounts form the equation, then you are left with JM walking by her on the street, and JM buying some drinks in the restaurant, but not much else to suggest involvement of the car.

DNA - The Silent Witness
Silent witness, articulate collective: DNA evidence and the inference of visible ... DNA profiling is a well-established technology for use in the criminal justice system ...

Forensic science is about to be transformed with the use of new technology to predict a person&#8217;s physical appearance - a molecular photofit derived from DNA found at a crime scene.
On New Year&#8217;s Day, 1999, a 92-year-old woman was bashed and raped in her home in the small NSW town of Wee Waa, population 1650.
Police suspected the rapist was a local and narrowed the search to a dozen suspects but could go no further. Finally, in April 2000, after 14 months of inconclusive investigation, they took the unprecedented step of asking all local males between the ages of 18 and 45 to voluntarily provide a saliva sample for DNA testing.

Ten days later, before the DNA analyses were complete, one of the donors - a 44-year-old farm laborer and father of three, Stephen James Boney - went into the Wee Waa police station and confessed, after realizing he was certain to be found out.

- See more at: http://lifescientist.com.au/content...silent-witness-552675794#sthash.6iJvcfk8.dpuf

MOD NOTE: This thread has been locked due to an excessive number of OFF TOPIC posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay