TX John Evans Clayton, 34, Tyler, TX, 2 Dec 1984 *bizarre homicide & arson still baffles police*

dally_doodle

Reaction score
I have never posted a cold case thread before, so I hope I am doing this correctly…This cold case hits close to home for me as the victim is a relative of mine whom was murdered before I was born. My family is interested in answers but has always been too scared to look for them as after his death, threats started & the truth was never sought nor found.

I have been sleuthing on my own trying to find information for my family to help them find closure but have hit dead ends.

John Evans Clayton, 34 years old, went into work at the Southside Wastewater Treatment Plant in Tyler, TX on Saturday Dec 1, 1984 for his 11pm-7am overnight shift. In the very early morning hours of Sunday, Dec 2, 1984, a 911 call was received from a female stating she heard a gun shot & she saw a car on fire. This female was John’s girlfriend who came to visit him. At the time of the call, she was on the other side the of the plant. When officers arrived they found John Clayton laying in a fetal position deceased from two shot gun blasts in the back. His station wagon was nearby in flames.

Thirty minutes after John’s body was found, the local newspaper, The Morning Telegraph received a phone call from a male stating that he was with the organization called “United Forces of Worldwide Liberation”. He said that the group is taking responsibility for John’s “execution” because he “betrayed the organization, had committed acts of sexual deviancy & was involved with communism.” No further information was divulged by the caller. FBI & local law enforcement have never heard of this organization & believe that it was a “smoke screen” to throw the police off track.

John’s body was taken to a local hospital for the autopsy & his body was transported to Baltimore, MD to his family for his burial.

I have no proof of this but have been told by family that there was police presence & security at the funeral to protect the family as there were threats received. & they were treated that anyone in the family who came to Tyler, TX looking for answers would be killed.

I have all the news paper articles & the police report from Tyler Police Department (although I am not sure if I can post that there). I have reach out to Tyler PD & they have given me all they can as they said it is still an open homicide case.

Attachments

• Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Wed__Dec_4__1985_.jpg
    Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Wed__Dec_4__1985_.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Thu__Dec_5__1985_.jpg
    Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Thu__Dec_5__1985_.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Tue__Dec_3__1985_2.jpg
    Tyler_Morning_Telegraph_Tue__Dec_3__1985_2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 6
This is wild. I can't find anything specific about the United Forces of Worldwide Liberation, but I'll do some more digging.

This is wild. I can't find anything specific about the United Forces of Worldwide Liberation, but I'll do some more digging.
I have done sooo much research & have always come up with nothing.

I do have the initial police report but they won’t give me anything further as it is still consider an open investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back