Judge Grants Change of Venue for Ross Harris

Discussion in 'Cooper Harris' started by Hope4More, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Bravo, Judge Staley. :)

2. Loading...

3. tlcya

tlcya <b><span style="color:#007C00;">WS Administrator</ Administrator

:sigh:

4. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

I watched a trial where the jury was brought in from a neighboring county. Every day during the trial, a county bus met them at their county courthouse, and the bus took them to the county where the trial was being held. In the afternoon, the bus took them back to their county courthouse. When jury selection was done, the county bus brought in the individuals from the county who were sent a jury duty notice and took them back in the afternoon as well. Since the jurors were only 30--40 miles away, they did not have to stay overnight, and the judge was very diligent in getting them out of the jury box every day no later than 5:00pm.

5. GA_Peach

GA_Peach Member

I am sorry that I wasn't more clear in my original statement. I was attempting to say that a new county will not be a good reflection of Cobb County. While I am sure that they can find a new location, it won't be representative of the place where Cooper's death occurred.

I also wonder how the change of venue will affect the prosecution's motion for field trips. If jurors are able to see the locations of JRH's movements on the day of Cooper's death, I think that JRH will be found guilty. JMO

6. Beccalynne

Beccalynne New Member

I think Judge Staley made the right decision, but I am sure surprised by it.

7. GA_Peach

GA_Peach Member

In order to get out of the Atlanta media market, which is what the DT requested, the new trial will be at least 80+ miles from Atlanta.

8. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Less time wasted than if RH was found guilty and won on appeal later, which given what we've heard from prospective jurors, and Staley's ruling on the COV, might well have been the case.

9. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Administrator

Not a surprise. It seemed like almost all potential jurors were problematic for one side or the other.

10. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Moderator Forum Coordinators

so they are MOVING the trial as opposed to bussing in jurors??

11. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Not so much a surprise on the merits, but seemingly very much a surprise given this particular judge, up through her comments and tone with the DT today. Really, IMO, all the more reason to applaud her decision.

12. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/02/us/justin-ross-harris-trial-venue-change/index.html?adkey=bn[/video]

13. daisymae

daisymae Registered User

Any ideas where they could move it to? Macon?

14. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Wild's livestream can still be viewed, and is worth watching in entirety. It wasn't even a close decision. She checked with the attys on their progress after an hour plus. They predictably said they were at an impasse. The State would concede 2 of 6 contested jurors and no more, the DT could accept no fewer than all 6.

Staley indicated that she wouldn't have been able to accept any agreement they made anyway. That the DT had met its burden of demonstrating both that pre-trial publicity had been pervasive, and that the publicity had clearly tainted the jury pool--deeply. She also seemed to call into question the reliability of what jurors had testified to ---that some who said on questionnaires they could be unbiased came into court and said they could not be, and some who said in questionnaires they were biased also said otherwise in court. And last, she said that the "cold" record didn't begin to reflect the depth of sentiment against RH she had witnessed for herself.

Not even close.

BTW- in discussing venues, she referred to the trial lasting between 2-4 months, not weeks.

15. GA_Peach

GA_Peach Member

How long do you think it will be before we know the new venue?

16. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Staley actually specifically rejected that possibility.

17. GA_Peach

GA_Peach Member

Do you have a link to the livestream? I would love to watch the whole thing.

I wonder how much more warmly JRH will be received elsewhere in Georgia. He is a very unlikeable defendent.

18. Hope4More

Hope4More Thankful

Judge agrees to move hot SUV death trial. #JustinRossHarris #HotCarDeath Watch video replay here: http://www.wildabouttrial.com/judge-agrees-to-move-hot-suv-death-trial/ &#8230;

After the first part, there's a loooooong stretch of just seal, then it picks up again around 1:30 in, iirc.

19. Lily17

Lily17 New Member

Why did she reject Macon? I missed that. Macon was the first place my mind went.

20. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d On Time Out

He's very unlikable, and people are likely to be resentful of a trial like this being imposed upon their county.

21. MzOpinion8d

MzOpinion8d On Time Out

What does cold record mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.