Judge Orders Bush Administration to Resume Paying for Katrina Housing

deandaniellws said:
It really is sisters. I don't know what the answer is either. I know that the Baytown schools are funded with a WHOLE LOT of Exxon dollars. The whole situation is a mess. :doh:

We can still be in the oil business but learn to stretch it a whole lot further. Some oil companies are getting into researching and developing alternative sources.

It's just like the car companies, if we don't look ahead, we could find other countries way ahead of us. It is essential for our economy and well being as a whole not to be so dependent on Middle Eastern Oil.

Oil is a finite resource, and dirties the environment and air we breathe. A car that gets 50 mph dirties the air less.

Did you hear the latest salary of the Exxon Ceo? Highest ever; absolutely sinful amount IMO. It's good they help the schools; but it's my understanding they never paid the fisherman back what they were due after the Valdez incident.

Marthatex said:
We can still be in the oil business but learn to stretch it a whole lot further. Some oil companies are getting into researching and developing alternative sources.

It's just like the car companies, if we don't look ahead, we could find other countries way ahead of us. It is essential for our economy and well being as a whole not to be so dependent on Middle Eastern Oil.

Oil is a finite resource, and dirties the environment and air we breathe. A car that gets 50 mph dirties the air less.

Did you hear the latest salary of the Exxon Ceo? Highest ever; absolutely sinful amount IMO. It's good they help the schools; but it's my understanding they never paid the fisherman back what they were due after the Valdez incident.
Along those lines, my boyfriend seems to believe the oil companies are doing the research on alternative sources so they can patient the process and tuck it away so no one can use it.
Does anyone know if you pay more taxes on the hybrid cars in some states ?? From what I heard, they feel if you aren't going to have to buy a lot of gas and pay the tax on it they will get you another way ?? I don't know if it's true or not though....

deandaniellws said:
I hear what you are saying, but.... so many communities would not exist without the oil business, Baytown being one of them. I came from a long line of engineers. My husband is also a retired Exxon-Mobile engineer.
It always happens though. Lightbulbs put candlemakers out of business, horse breeders and stablers and a whole industry died when the automobile became practical, etc. Oil will die sooner or later, but the sooner, the better for the environment, the middle east, and so many other problems.

Marthatex said:

Actually they DID pay them...far more income than they lost. My husband was dealing with some of the legal stuff from that fallout. However, it is better publicity for the news people and fishermen to say that Exxon is still the bad guy.........sells more news articles! Yes, we heard of the salary, bonus and perks he is getting. It is shameful!!! Makes me sick!!! When Exxon and Mobile merged the employees got screwed big time. That is one of the reasons my husband went ahead and took retirement. Exxon is not taking care of their employees any more...only looking for the big bucks. We may support some of the things Exxon has done, being that it has fed our families for more than three generations...but we aren't blind. As usual, I agree with you. We DO need to look to the future. The USA has some serious issues to address quickly, if we want to keep America on track for our future generations.

czechmate7 said:
Along those lines, my boyfriend seems to believe the oil companies are doing the research on alternative sources so they can patient the process and tuck it away so no one can use it.
Does anyone know if you pay more taxes on the hybrid cars in some states ?? From what I heard, they feel if you aren't going to have to buy a lot of gas and pay the tax on it they will get you another way ?? I don't know if it's true or not though....
Actually, there is an income tax discount for buying these type of vehicles.

deandaniellws said:
Atually, there is an income tax discount for buying these type of vehicles.

There is a tax credit for buying some hybrid vehicles, although some of them have run out by now. It was on the first 60,000 sold, or something like that.

However, you have to consider the $5,000 to $7000 you may save on gasoline during the life of your hybrid car, as compared with a car that gets only 15 to 20 mpg.

deandaniellws said:
Actually they DID pay them...far more income than they lost. My husband was dealing with some of the legal stuff from that fallout. However, it is better publicity for the news people and fisherment to say that Exxon is still the bad guy.........sells more news articles! Yes, we heard of the salary, bonus and perks he is getting. It is shameful!!! Makes me sick!!! When Exxon and Mobile merged the employees got screwed big time. That is one of the reasons my husband went ahead and took retirement. Exxon is not taking care of their employees any more...only looking for the big bucks. We may support some of the things Exxon has done, being that it has fed our families for more than three generations...but we aren't blind. As usual, I agree with you. We DO need to look to the future. The USA has some serious issues to address quickly, if we want to keep America on track for our future generations.

That's interesting; I didn't know that about employees. I would have thought they would take care of them well. I was just visiting with an ex-sister-in-law of mine who has worked as an accountant there for years. She really didn't say much, except she is retiring soon - she lives in Pearland.

Of course my VP Uncle retired VERY RICH, but that was before the CEOs were so filthy rich. They got mucho, mucho in stock options even then. He did very well, for a drunk. :rolleyes:

Good statement on serious issues........ :blowkiss:

They will obviously have to come up with other ways to pay for roads. Here we are getting alot of toll roads, unfortunately.

Taxes should not be a driving force for using more gasoline; I suspect this is hype put up by those who support oil companies.

Why not just raise the tax, so those who guzzle more gas will pay more?

My post disappeared!!! Did I violate something?? I didn't post the entire story...:confused: :confused:

czechmate7 said:
My post disappeared!!! Did I violate something?? I didn't post the entire story...:confused: :confused:

There was no link darlin. If you'll send me one or repost it with the link, it can stay!!!! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back