Jury in Washington State Finds In Favor of Susan Powells Parents.

I don't consider this a tragedy. If the WA CPS isn't motivated by a $33 million judgment, no amount money is really going to make a difference. IMHO, obviously.

Cox & Their Appeal to WA. Sup. Ct. Pending?
The money has been reinstated.
Seems some of us missed this, when it happened nearly a year ago.
From your link,* published Ap. 18-19, 2023.
"Chuck Cox is relieved an appeals court denied the appeal and reinstated an original ruling that gives his family $98 million in a civil suit against the state of Washington. But, he said, this is not done yet."
"He’s referring to another appeal expected to the Washington Supreme Court."

Re the St. of WA., Mr. Cox said:
“If they admit that ‘yes, we did something wrong and we want to fix that,’ that’s a huge step for the safety of other children... ”

"Cox said he and his wife, Judy, plan to start a foundation with the money awarded in court to help victims and their families....
"Cox said he wants to create a group of vetted attorneys — people he trusts that he can pass on to those in need."

Hard to imagine standing in the shoes of Mr. & Mrs. Cox.
Actually impossible for me.

W brief search, I did not find further developments on their appeal.
Anyone?

Cox & Their Appeal to WA. Sup. Ct. Pending?

Seems some of us missed this, when it happened nearly a year ago.
From your link,* published Ap. 18-19, 2023.
"Chuck Cox is relieved an appeals court denied the appeal and reinstated an original ruling that gives his family $98 million in a civil suit against the state of Washington. But, he said, this is not done yet."
"He’s referring to another appeal expected to the Washington Supreme Court."

Re the St. of WA., Mr. Cox said:
“If they admit that ‘yes, we did something wrong and we want to fix that,’ that’s a huge step for the safety of other children... ”

"Cox said he and his wife, Judy, plan to start a foundation with the money awarded in court to help victims and their families....
"Cox said he wants to create a group of vetted attorneys — people he trusts that he can pass on to those in need."

Hard to imagine standing in the shoes of Mr. & Mrs. Cox.
Actually impossible for me.

W brief search, I did not find further developments on their appeal.
Anyone?

Any appeal following the 4/18/23 decision in favor of the Cox family would be by WA DSHS, and I don't even see a Notice of Intent ever filed.

The family wants an admission of guilt, an apology by the Agency-- I don't think that will happen (potential exposure of liability by individuals), whether a moral decision or not.

The Unpublished Opinion linked for reference.

Any appeal following the 4/18/23 decision in favor of the Cox family would be by WA DSHS, and I don't even see a Notice of Intent ever filed.
The family wants an admission of guilt, an apology by the Agency-- I don't think that will happen (potential exposure of liability by individuals), whether a moral decision or not.
The Unpublished Opinion linked for reference.
@Seattle1 Thanks so much for link to Ct's opinion.

Wording in Ap. 18-19, 2023 article in link gives impression that Mr. & Mrs. Cox had an appeal pending which did not make sense to me.

Glad to see clarification.

@Seattle1 Thanks so much for link to Ct's opinion.

Wording in Ap. 18-19, 2023 article in link gives impression that Mr. & Mrs. Cox had an appeal pending which did not make sense to me.

Glad to see clarification.
A poorly written article. WA DSHS had 30 days to appeal the decision to the WA Supreme Court so I think this is done.

4/20/23

A Washington Court of Appeals reinstated on Tuesday a jury’s $98.5 million verdict awarded to Susan Cox Powell’s parents, who sued the state Department of Social and Health Services for negligently failing to protect their grandsons.

In the wrongful death lawsuit, Judith and Charles Cox alleged the state didn’t do enough to keep their 7-year-old and 5-year-old grandsons safe from their father, Joshua Powell, who killed the boys in 2012. Jurors found DSHS negligent in July 2020 and awarded $98.5 million to the Cox family.

DSHS argued that amount of money was excessive and outside the range of on-record evidence. Later that year, a Pierce County Superior Court judge reduced the damages to about $32.8 million.

[..]

“There is substantial evidence supporting a significant award of noneconomic damages based on the horrific and brutal deaths that both (Charlie) and (Braden) endured at the hands of their own father,” the opinion said.

Anne Bremner, who has been the Coxes’ attorney for over a decade, said the family is gratified the jury’s verdict was undisturbed.

“It’s been a long time,” Bremner said, calling the opinion “beautifully written.”

The state has 30 days to appeal the decision to the Washington Supreme Court.

A poorly written article. WA DSHS had 30 days to appeal the decision to the WA Supreme Court so I think this is done.

4/20/23

A Washington Court of Appeals reinstated on Tuesday a jury’s $98.5 million verdict awarded to Susan Cox Powell’s parents, who sued the state Department of Social and Health Services for negligently failing to protect their grandsons.

In the wrongful death lawsuit, Judith and Charles Cox alleged the state didn’t do enough to keep their 7-year-old and 5-year-old grandsons safe from their father, Joshua Powell, who killed the boys in 2012. Jurors found DSHS negligent in July 2020 and awarded $98.5 million to the Cox family.

DSHS argued that amount of money was excessive and outside the range of on-record evidence. Later that year, a Pierce County Superior Court judge reduced the damages to about $32.8 million.

[..]

“There is substantial evidence supporting a significant award of noneconomic damages based on the horrific and brutal deaths that both (Charlie) and (Braden) endured at the hands of their own father,” the opinion said.

Anne Bremner, who has been the Coxes’ attorney for over a decade, said the family is gratified the jury’s verdict was undisturbed.

“It’s been a long time,” Bremner said, calling the opinion “beautifully written.”

The state has 30 days to appeal the decision to the Washington Supreme Court.
@Seattle1 Yes, the Seattle Times article you linked was much clearer than ksltv.com article linked in a post made here Mon.
And by reading the WA. appellate court opinion (linked in your Tues. post) in the meantime, I got clarification on fuzzy points.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
"nothing had happened in the past"

A grim reminder about a reassuring comment made by one of the social workers to G'father Cox, on Opinion's page 10 ¶G.

"On February 3, DSHS learned that Powell was likely going to be arrested in the near future. That same day, Charles Cox, the boys’ grandfather called Jacobson, one of the social workers, and warned her that Powell was backed into a corner and expressed his concern about the boys’ safety. Jacobson assured Charles that continued visitations would be fine because because nothing had happened in the past."

Two days later, those little boys were savagely killed. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back