KFC employee allegedly asks little girl to leave Jackson restaurant

Grandma doesn't have custody. Parents do.
People who donated money under false pretenses should be able to get their money back.
Which I presume is going to be hard with both facebook and go fund me pages closed.
I would also look into whether their insurance covered whatever it is they claimed it didn't cover. Considering that insurance company that supposedly didn't cover certain things was not named.
We know what this child has insurance. Also plastic surgeon showed up offering free services after KCF being accused.
So what medical bills does this child actually have for KFC to donate 30 K toward medical bills?

Has KFC actually looked into whether she has 30 K of medical bills?

(above, bbm)
Excellent points I'm sure not everyone was aware of.

I don't. I think the way they handled it is super foolish and just promotes this type of scam. If they wanted to donate money to the child, they should have completed their investigation first, showed that it was a hoax, and pressed charges against the grandmother while then offering to donate money in some organized and protected way strictly for the medical expenses she incurred MAYBE.

Paying $30k up front with zero proof of an obviously bogus story is major foolishness to my mind.

eta: and the stated reason should have been because they felt charitable toward the girl for having such low life family members who are responsible for her injuries in the first place and don't have enough character not to scam on it. The charitable giving is legitimate to that extent, imo.
jmo

The amount of damage that was being done to KFC's reputation (and market share) every second since this story came out (and before it was said to be a hoax) was potentially crippling to the brand. IMO, it was a strategic, and well thought out maneuver. The fact that they're still going to give her the $30,000 towards her medical expenses only adds more credibility to them. They couldn't have stated the reason you gave, not without facing a possible lawsuit.

People who donated money under false pretenses should be able to get their money back.
Which I presume is going to be hard with both facebook and go fund me pages closed.
I would also look into whether their insurance covered whatever it is they claimed it didn't cover. Considering that insurance company that supposedly didn't cover certain things was not named.
We know what this child has insurance. Also plastic surgeon showed up offering free services after KCF being accused.
So what medical bills does this child actually have for KFC to donate 30 K toward medical bills?
Has KFC actually looked into whether she has 30 K of medical bills?

Guys, there is no way in he!! that KFC is, or ever was going to hand over 30k to the family of this little girl. Don't worry. Either there are actual medical bills they will directly pay, or they're aren't.

I have a feeling the payment issues will quietly go away. KFC isn't going to step up efforts to contact the family and pay the bill- they would likely wait for the family to send a bill - and the family is unlikely to address the issue with KFC, since they are probably facing fraud charges and don't want to add to that.

Sadly, there are plenty of folks out there who think their plan is brilliant and that nobody is going to figure them out.

Most large businesses have advanced technology. Any wonder why it was almost a month since GM claimed to visit the KFC and then the FB post announcing the situation? Most digital security footage and (Point of Sale) data can now be stored for years/ decades on servers - bet some folks didn't know that.

The past few fibbers who started their victim stories on the internet may have never foreseen their claims blowing up as deep and wide as they did, and then were unprepared for the onslaught of questions to get to the truth and facts. But, I've also come to learn that you can not shame the shameless.

I'm guessing that the 30K that KFC mentions donating to sweet, innocent Victoria's care won't go directly into any of the family members pockets - rather it would be paid direct to a facility or Dr. who provide documented care.

I've grown to be less trusting as I advance in life - and now only financially support local charities I can see their good works, or get involved with.

Yep, seen quite a few like that. All accompanied by the immediate condemnation and indignation that only a posting on the Internet can draw.

The retractions and corrections are generally much quieter.
RSBM

Going to post my own retraction.:blushing:
Before the truth of this story came out... I'd posted an angry comment on a different news site against KFC, saying things like "How could you think it was ok to allow this? etc...."
Found the comment later,and deleted it. I'm too quick to jump on the bandwagon. :blushing:

We don't eat at KFC a lot, but ate there on Mon. night since we were running around town doing errands and my youngest begged to eat out. :)
The other diners there enjoyed their food and kept to themselves , like most restaurants. It's hard to imagine anyone taking the time and effort from their meal to complain about another diner's appearance.

I did not believe this from the beginning. I am glad the truth came out and I hope the family is prosecuted.

I'm big enough to admit I was gullible enough to fall for this family's story, but that I didn't jump on the bash KFC bandwagon. I have always loved their chicken (I hated Popeye's when I tried it), but I wouldn't have blamed KFC for one bad employee anyway and would have continued to patronize them.

I'm big enough to admit I was gullible enough to fall for this family's story, but that I didn't jump on the bash KFC bandwagon. I have always loved their chicken (I hated Popeye's when I tried it), but I wouldn't have blamed KFC for one bad employee anyway and would have continued to patronize them.

You don't like Popeye's??
:thud:

I did not believe this from the beginning. I am glad the truth came out and I hope the family is prosecuted.

Neither did I.
First of all, the child doesn't look bad even with the scars and eye patch.
Who is going to be scared over that?
These people had a go fund me page set up prior to KFC story came out, and it wasn't doing well. After the story came out, the money just stated flowing into that account.

Guys, there is no way in he!! that KFC is, or ever was going to hand over 30k to the family of this little girl. Don't worry. Either there are actual medical bills they will directly pay, or they're aren't.

I have a feeling the payment issues will quietly go away. KFC isn't going to step up efforts to contact the family and pay the bill- they would likely wait for the family to send a bill - and the family is unlikely to address the issue with KFC, since they are probably facing fraud charges and don't want to add to that.

They could also sue grandma for slander if they wanted to.
But most likely won't because of the child.

I don't care if the family keeps the money, or what they do with it. Good for them for taking advantage of people who believe everything they read, and overreact over the latest viral outrage.

I don't care if the family keeps the money, or what they do with it. Good for them for taking advantage of people who believe everything they read, and overreact over the latest viral outrage.
??? They are scammers- the grandfather left the little girl with 8-10 pitbulls that he owned that mauled her, then that grandmother capatalized on that. KFC is in no way to blame. They never even visited KFC! This has damaged their reputation.

There has been a LOT of this stuff going on lately. Some egregious incident involving racial bias or against someone with a disability that after all the uproar subsides turns out to have been a hoax. People like their few days of fame, I guess. We have a similar local news story that I really doubt- some young Black girl was working as a meter reader and claims she was approached by two white men telling her she didn't 'belong' in their neighborhood and to leave. The story has been all over local news- and she has offers of tuition assistance, etc as a result. I do not buy it. I know the area where this happened pretty well and while bigots are everywhere I think she made the whole thing up. The sad thing is every time one of these things is exposed as a hoax it makes it difficult for someone really wronged to get justice.

Snipped by me -- wow, thanks jjenny! Where ARE the parents in all this? I wonder why we haven't heard anything from them.... I can totally see & understand grandparents taking children to appointments, especially for parents who work, but is Grannie running the show? Did she contrive the entire thing or just play along with the entire plan? (Not that it really matters; if she lied, she lied). I'm just curious who the brilliant mastermind was behind this story, lol.

(above, bbm)
No personal attack intended...just wanted to comment on the line I bolded in your sentence....by her actions, what she is giving that child is a perfect example of how to cheat, manipulate, and beat the system. I am always amazed when I see the double standards some people employ in their own lives ("yeah, I defrauded thousands of people, but I treat my family well...!"
(So I'm not so bad, right?) I know...that probably makes me sound terribly judgmental. It is what it is, I guess.

Oh, but I COMPLETELY agree. I remember thinking it as I was typing. I almost added something along the lines of "way to teach the kid how to always look for the con."

The amount of damage that was being done to KFC's reputation (and market share) every second since this story came out (and before it was said to be a hoax) was potentially crippling to the brand. IMO, it was a strategic, and well thought out maneuver. The fact that they're still going to give her the $30,000 towards her medical expenses only adds more credibility to them. They couldn't have stated the reason you gave, not without facing a possible lawsuit.

I agree -- this thing went viral and they were under fire -- what could they do to get people to quit treating their people like crap NOW? I understand that the panic could encourage others to follow suit, but will they all claim it happened at KFC? Doubtful, but they fell on their sword on behalf of other establishments -- and it was done in a smart way so that only Victoria can benefit.

Neither did I.
First of all, the child doesn't look bad even with the scars and eye patch.
Who is going to be scared over that?
These people had a go fund me page set up prior to KFC story came out, and it wasn't doing well. After the story came out, the money just stated flowing into that account.

personally I think Gramma ''misunderstood or mis-heard'' if there was such a "you're scaring people" it was probably directed at her

Snipped by me -- wow, thanks jjenny! Where ARE the parents in all this? I wonder why we haven't heard anything from them.... I can totally see & understand grandparents taking children to appointments, especially for parents who work, but is Grannie running the show? Did she contrive the entire thing or just play along with the entire plan? (Not that it really matters; if she lied, she lied). I'm just curious who the brilliant mastermind was behind this story, lol.

Oh, but I COMPLETELY agree. I remember thinking it as I was typing. I almost added something along the lines of "way to teach the kid how to always look for the con."

I agree -- this thing went viral and they were under fire -- what could they do to get people to quit treating their people like crap NOW? I understand that the panic could encourage others to follow suit, but will they all claim it happened at KFC? Doubtful, but they fell on their sword on behalf of other establishments -- and it was done in a smart way so that only Victoria can benefit.
No, she just picked on KFC. Other scammers have targeted Wendy's in the past. A woman planted a guy's finger that was cut off and claimed she "found it" in her chili at Wendy's. She got convicted of fraud, but it did hurt Wendy's.

Fundraising website yanks page devoted to girl at center of KFC controversy

The fundraising website ******** has taken down a page devoted to raising money for a 3-year-old Mississippi girl whose family claims she was asked to leave a KFC restaurant because customers were repulsed by facial injuries she suffered in a recent pit bull attack.

"In lieu of the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the 'Victoria's Victories' online fundraising effort, ******** has temporarily suspended the campaign until the full truth is made clear," CEO Brad Damphousse said in a statement released Tuesday. The site has also offered refunds to donors

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/2...ge-devoted-to-girl-at-center-kfc-controversy/

Poor little girl. I can not imagine having grandparents like these two. What a sad situation she is in. Poor little girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back