Kindergartner suspended b/c of mohawk

1) Appearance does not equal character or make someone a good student. I taught 9-12 grade and some of my best students (well behaved, creative, intelligent, and well mannered) were "outcasts" in a very conservative community. I had the MOST problems with kids who looked like they belonged/were popular.

I agree, to a point. But in 9-12th grade, it is an expression of the student's blossoming personality. How many 5yos really know they want a mohawk unless Mommy and Daddy think it's cute? (Honestly, how does a 5yo even know what that is???)

2) There is more going on here that isn't being reported -- I suspect that there are larger issues between Mom and Dad and school. Still, I don't think suspending the child was the correct way to deal with this. There is no way the kid can come out of this without issues.

The school may have felt that Mom and Dad forced their hand. How many options do they have for disciplining a 5yo? He doesn't drive to the barber and pay for his own haircut. They were trying to find a discipline method that actual punished the offender - Mom and Dad who can't seem to grasp that the rules apply to everyone, including their special little snowflake. As far as having issues, it depends on how it is handled. If they just kept him home that day and took him for a haircut, he probably would never remember or even realize the seriousness. Since his parents think the appropriate response is going to the media and whining about how unfair life is, I think he might have issues regardless of his punishment.

3) If you are going to have a dress code, it needs to be written in a way that it can be enforced --what one person thinks is "distracting" another person may not mind at all. And, I suspect that a mohawk would not be distracting at all once the kids got over seeing it --it's all in how the adults treat the situation. Pick your battles wisely, folks.

Again, I doubt the school had any idea this was going to be a problem. It was probably written so as to give the school wide latitude when dealing with these types of things. Obviously this child, with his "freshly spiked" hairdo, was not working for the administration. After 2 warnings, I would have been out of patience with the parents myself. I know that at our school some kids get away with their hair a little longer than others. My son complains, but it comes down to grooming. He has that flyaway hair that looks sloppy when it gets long, while some boys don't look messy when it is a little over the rules. The school gets to make the rules. If you don't like it, don't apply.

4) If a mohawk on a kindergartener is such a huge issue, I wonder how they react to "serious" offences? As a teacher, I WISH this was one of the "big" issues I had to deal with --instead of kids who wanted to commit suicide and knives in the hallway.

And this, right here, is the point I was trying to make all along. At some schools, where they keep a tight lid on things and there are enough applicants trying to get in...well, it's the old rule of supply and demand. If you want your kids in this kind of school, you will check that they have their hair cut and tie on straight and say "Yes Ma'am" and no cell phones tucked into backpack. And when you run a school like that, then those ARE the big issues. Seriously. Because when the issues get much bigger, the kid isn't around for long. So the issues you are dealing with never even get thought up!

Of course, we are in a K-8 school, but I think that is a fairer comparison to this story about a kindergartener than what goes on in high school.

Huh- wow and I'm abnormal. Ya know what? If you teach your children to disregard the rules by disregarding the rules, your child is going to disregard the rules. Instead of helping our kids buck the system from a young age why not teach them that life isn't always going to work out the way they want. There are some dumb-*advertiser censored* rules in life, like this school with the haircut, like many EMPLOYERS not willing to hire even adults with this kind of haircut but it's the way the world works and the sooner our kids get used to getting along in society, the better.

My mom was one of those kinds of mothers when I was growing up, always running to the school every time she felt someone was treating me unfairly and ignoring notes home about issues I was causing because she didn't think it was a big deal.. She told the school nurse that if I showed up and said I didn't feel good she need not bother checking my temp, just call her to come get me because "if my daughter says she is sick then she is sick!". I learned at a young age how to play the school and my mother against one another because I knew my mom would always side with me. By the time I was in highschool I was smoking in the bathrooms, swearing at the principal, blowing off classes and was already an old pro at blaming them. My mom taught me well!

The best thing you can do for your children is to teach them that in life there are rules, laws, that they may find silly or stupid but they have to follow them just the same! Someone has to act as the adult!

I had no idea that bad things like weapons and drugs don't happen in charter/private schools! WOW! Let me sign my kid up now. I am sorry, but I went to Catholic school for many years. There were drugs and sex going on. You can't run from that kind of stuff. It’s all over the place especially these days. I guess because I am a younger mother I don't see the harm in a haircut that my son sees and wants as a TREND, not a lifestyle. I agree if the dress code says you can't have it then you shouldn't let your son do it. That’s just asking for problems. My six year old is on the honor roll for in excelling in both Math and Reading. He is in the Cub Scouts as well doing good things for his neighbors and community. He is extremely polite and respectful. A kid's hairstyle does not define his character.

I say this kid should have cut his hair. I also think they should wear uniforns. School is school........not a fashion show.

xxxxxxxoooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Huh- wow and I'm abnormal. Ya know what? If you teach your children to disregard the rules by disregarding the rules, your child is going to disregard the rules. Instead of helping our kids buck the system from a young age why not teach them that life isn't always going to work out the way they want. There are some dumb-*advertiser censored* rules in life, like this school with the haircut, like many EMPLOYERS not willing to hire even adults with this kind of haircut but it's the way the world works and the sooner our kids get used to getting along in society, the better.

My mom was one of those kinds of mothers when I was growing up, always running to the school every time she felt someone was treating me unfairly and ignoring notes home about issues I was causing because she didn't think it was a big deal.. She told the school nurse that if I showed up and said I didn't feel good she need not bother checking my temp, just call her to come get me because "if my daughter says she is sick then she is sick!". I learned at a young age how to play the school and my mother against one another because I knew my mom would always side with me. By the time I was in highschool I was smoking in the bathrooms, swearing at the principal, blowing off classes and was already an old pro at blaming them. My mom taught me well!

The best thing you can do for your children is to teach them that in life there are rules, laws, that they may find silly or stupid but they have to follow them just the same! Someone has to act as the adult!

Excellent Post and Points

And a Mohawk is definitely not cute, on anyone

If you teach your children to disregard the rules by disregarding the rules, your child is going to disregard the rules.

snipped to highlight this excellent advice on parenting!!!

Great post!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back