GUILTY KS - 2 mo old twin dies in hotel, parents arrested, Wichita, 30 August 2018

perfectingpink

Reaction score
Two days before this baby's death, LE was called to the hotel to check on the children. The children were placed with a relative but apparently, the relative returned the children to this couple. Ugh!

34-year-old father charged with involuntary manslaughter and aggravated child endangerment.
39-year-old mother charged with two counts of aggravated child endangerment.

Parents arrested in connection with infant's death at Wichita motel

[....]

At approximately 6 a.m. today, Officers responded to a call of a child not breathing at a motel in the 5900 block of west Kellogg. Upon arrival, the boy was found unresponsive, and he was pronounced deceased on scene. The boy’s twin brother was also on scene, unharmed. The investigation revealed the parents had become intoxicated overnight. This morning the father woke up next to the boy, found him not breathing and called 9-1-1. The case number is 18C056685.

[....]

KEMPTON, KYLE LLOYD (dad) charges: involuntary manslaughter and aggravated endangering a child
ROLLINGS, CHRISTY LYNN (mom) has two charges of aggravated endangering a child and a charge of failure to appear and failure to comply.
Neither have bonds on the charges related to the child. CR has bonds on the other two that appear to stem from something previous - almost $9700 bonds on those two charges.

You know, I have mixed feelings on this. I mean, yes obviously there was a significant tragedy here, but at what point should the line be drawn? Are you going to take away every child who's parents are intoxicated in their presence? That's not even remotely feasible.

I dunno. It's a tough situation for sure, and easy to jump on the bandwagon with all the other cases that have made news here over the past couple of years.

Just to be clear I am NOT defending these parents in any way shape or form. They screwed up and their beautiful child paid the price. I'm just not sure, without further information, that we can blame this one on DCF.

You know, I have mixed feelings on this. I mean, yes obviously there was a significant tragedy here, but at what point should the line be drawn? Are you going to take away every child who's parents are intoxicated in their presence? That's not even remotely feasible.

I dunno. It's a tough situation for sure, and easy to jump on the bandwagon with all the other cases that have made news here over the past couple of years.

Just to be clear I am NOT defending these parents in any way shape or form. They screwed up and their beautiful child paid the price. I'm just not sure, without further information, that we can blame this one on DCF.
I agree that DCF is not to blame - DCF removed the children from the parents' care. It was whomever they gave the children to that decided they knew better than DCF.

From the article in the OP: "Officers were called to the hotel on Tuesday around 4:45 p.m. concerning the welfare of the two-month-old twins. Police say the couple was intoxicated. The children were placed with a responsible family member. But on Wednesday, that person returned the children to their parents."

I agree that DCF is not to blame - DCF removed the children from the parents' care. It was whomever they gave the children to that decided they knew better than DCF.

From the article in the OP: "Officers were called to the hotel on Tuesday around 4:45 p.m. concerning the welfare of the two-month-old twins. Police say the couple was intoxicated. The children were placed with a responsible family member. But on Wednesday, that person returned the children to their parents."
I wonder if the parents were sobered up when the children were returned. If not, then yes the family member made a poor decision.

Do we even know that DCF placed the kids ? Could the police have allowed the parents to call someone to come pick up the kids, if that was the case the person that had them didn't have custody and had to give them back ?

Do we even know that DCF placed the kids ? Could the police have allowed the parents to call someone to come pick up the kids, if that was the case the person that had them didn't have custody and had to give them back ?
Good question. I'm not sure what the policy in ICT is on that.

I know there still has to be an autopsy, but this comment found in the article makes me think it's going to be suffocation:
"Christy Schunn with Kids Infant Death and SIDS Network suggests infants from 0-1 year old should sleep in a safety-approved crib."

I know there still has to be an autopsy, but this comment found in the article makes me think it's going to be suffocation:
"Christy Schunn with Kids Infant Death and SIDS Network suggests infants from 0-1 year old should sleep in a safety-approved crib."

Just from everything I've read so far, I would guess one of them was passed out drunk and rolled over on the poor boy in the bed. My guess/speculation only.

Since this isn’t in the media can we discuss the Profession of the parent(s). The did release a news story a bit ago that the children were removed by the police. They were NOT suppose to be in the parents care. I can try to link that article if it’s not already linked.

Since this isn’t in the media can we discuss the Profession of the parent(s). The did release a news story a bit ago that the children were removed by the police. They were NOT suppose to be in the parents care. I can try to link that article if it’s not already linked.

Kyle's Facebook page lists him as a chiropractor, however, he did not renew his license.

Kyle's Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012611257370

License information:
Kansas Board of Healing Arts - Licensee & Registrant Profile Search

:mad::mad::mad:
I just asked in another thread, “why weren’t these children removed from the care of these parents.” (VA - Baby girl, 4 mos, found dead in motel room, Spotsylvania, 24 Aug 2018)

I hope that whoever gave the kids back to the parents will also be charged/arrested.
:mad::mad::mad:

That’s a relatively local case for me and I’ve talked to a friend who was a social worker before she had kids, she said that in VA they want families to stay together. DSS would’ve required drug counseling for the mother and well checks every couple of weeks. Not even supervision by a non drug addled adult. I’m furious about all of these babies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back