KS KS - DENNIS LYNN RADER, BTK Serial Killer

Dennis Rader, 78, the infamous serial killer who gave himself the moniker 'bind, torture, kill' to publicly brag about his MO, revealed to DailyMail.com from behind bars that he doesn't see much in renewed efforts to link him to unsolved murders.
1694543894293.jpeg
'I think the news on me starting to cool of (sic),' he said in a message from El Dorado Correctional Facility in Kansas. 'Yet, you never know with the law.'

On Tuesday, detectives with the Osage County Sheriff's Office ramped up their investigation into these cases by announcing the establishment of a national task force.

I hate, just in general, knowing that he is comfortable where he is and has a nice wheelchair, etc… I know many people who have been good and kind their whole lives that cannot obtain a good wheelchair or bed when needed in their advanced age or unfortunate medical diagnoses.

The sheriff also revealed that while he was in an interview with Rader on Monday afternoon, the convicted killer told him, “guess I’m cleared,” according to what he heard from the DA on the news that officials “don’t have anything.”

Sheriff Virden said the matter will be addressed in the proper channels. He added that they have numerous leads they will keep pursuing.

“We’ll continue to push for justice, honest and true,” he said. “We have something behind us and that’s the honest truth.”

I have to wonder if the simultaneous announcement by law enforcement that DR is not connected to the murders of Shawna Garber and Cindy Kinney is intentional misinformation designed to possibly provoke DR into incriminating himself. I believe DR spoke out in past instances when press or law enforcement attributed his crimes to others. Otherwise, simultaneous creation of this big BTK task force seems a little incredulous. Just a thought. (This is my first post, so my apologies if anything is awry with this.)

I have to wonder if the simultaneous announcement by law enforcement that DR is not connected to the murders of Shawna Garber and Cindy Kinney is intentional misinformation designed to possibly provoke DR into incriminating himself. I believe DR spoke out in past instances when press or law enforcement attributed his crimes to others. Otherwise, simultaneous creation of this big BTK task force seems a little incredulous. Just a thought. (This is my first post, so my apologies if anything is awry with this.)
Great thoughts and welcome Driventoknow!

A heated war of words is underway between Osage County's sheriff and district attorney in connection to a 1970s cold case. Video:

The sheriff and Osage County district attorney are at odds over the investigation with both having differing opinions on how it should move forward. Video:

Osage County Sheriff Eddie Virden insisted Tuesday that he has evidence pointing to Rader as the prime suspect in the death of 16-year-old Cynthia Dawn Kinney, who was last seen at a laundromat in Pawhuska 47 years ago.

“This case is ongoing,” Virden said. “We have locations provided to us by BTK, where he says he has other trophies hid. We are in the process of working to go try to recover those items.”

Last edited:
I find it extremely striking and telling that DR displayed such ease and confidence, and perhaps most importantly, preference in selecting homes when he KNEW children would be home. In K. Ramsland's book, Confessions of a SK, DR explains that he knew from his stalking of Ms. Otero that she would be home with her children at that time. (Mr. Otero's presence surprised him.) He didn't strictly target Ms. Otero. He targeted Ms. Otero and her children! He felt at ease with children being present and specifically selected a time he expected her children to be home. I find it extremely difficult to believe that he would select children in a home -- a mom with children -- as his first offense. I think he displayed a confidence and ease in targeting children and multiple victims because of previous experience doing so.

I think we see the same striking selection of children in Ms. Vian's murder. He met her 6 year-old son on the street and watched to see which home he entered. He specifically selected a home where he knew children would be present, though in this instance, he did not murder Ms. Vian's young sons.

I'm left wondering if he gained experience with some sort of crimes involving children (or children being present) before the 1974 murder of the Otero family. I am inclined to think he had some prior experience in such to have such ease with children being present and indeed a preference (on at least these two instances) for children being present.

I am struck, too, that the horrific drawings of the young girls in the barn that have been recently publicized are, at least according to some respects, potentially identified as young women. But the drawings appear to me to be girls, not young women. If indeed the drawing of the girl in the green shirt has been correctly identified as the woman last seen in a green shirt-dress who worked as an exotic dancer, I would be interested in knowing if she ever (or typically) wore her hair in the two pony tails. I think the hair style is one seen on young girls. I also find it curious that if the drawing is of the missing young woman last seen in a green shirtdress that he has depicted her as much younger, more pre-pubescent or early pubescent, instead of her actual age.

Just some thoughts on some aspects that I find quizzical.

I find it extremely striking and telling that DR displayed such ease and confidence, and perhaps most importantly, preference in selecting homes when he KNEW children would be home. In K. Ramsland's book, Confessions of a SK, DR explains that he knew from his stalking of Ms. Otero that she would be home with her children at that time. (Mr. Otero's presence surprised him.) He didn't strictly target Ms. Otero. He targeted Ms. Otero and her children! He felt at ease with children being present and specifically selected a time he expected her children to be home. I find it extremely difficult to believe that he would select children in a home -- a mom with children -- as his first offense. I think he displayed a confidence and ease in targeting children and multiple victims because of previous experience doing so.

I think we see the same striking selection of children in Ms. Vian's murder. He met her 6 year-old son on the street and watched to see which home he entered. He specifically selected a home where he knew children would be present, though in this instance, he did not murder Ms. Vian's young sons.

I'm left wondering if he gained experience with some sort of crimes involving children (or children being present) before the 1974 murder of the Otero family. I am inclined to think he had some prior experience in such to have such ease with children being present and indeed a preference (on at least these two instances) for children being present.

I am struck, too, that the horrific drawings of the young girls in the barn that have been recently publicized are, at least according to some respects, potentially identified as young women. But the drawings appear to me to be girls, not young women. If indeed the drawing of the girl in the green shirt has been correctly identified as the woman last seen in a green shirt-dress who worked as an exotic dancer, I would be interested in knowing if she ever (or typically) wore her hair in the two pony tails. I think the hair style is one seen on young girls. I also find it curious that if the drawing is of the missing young woman last seen in a green shirtdress that he has depicted her as much younger, more pre-pubescent or early pubescent, instead of her actual age.

Just some thoughts on some aspects that I find quizzical.
I agree that the Otero’s is so bold for a first timer… and now it seems it was not his first time.
Gosh those murders are sooo awful… RIP Josephine, Joseph Jr., Julie and Joseph Sr.

I agree that the Otero’s is so bold for a first timer… and now it seems it was not his first time.
Gosh those murders are sooo awful… RIP Josephine, Joseph Jr., Julie and Joseph Sr.
When you say "now it seems it was not his first time," are you referring to a specific crime known or strongly suspected, or just that it seems incredulous that Otero is his first crime? I'm wondering if I missed something, especially with all the new reporting. Thanks!

When you say "now it seems it was not his first time," are you referring to a specific crime known or strongly suspected, or just that it seems incredulous that Otero is his first crime? I'm wondering if I missed something, especially with all the new reporting. Thanks!
Just that it always seemed incredulous, you know? Like a man, woman and 2 children and all the horrible things he did to them? I can’t imagine he hadn’t committed other crimes prior to that…

Oh, I understand! Another aspect that is so striking to me is that in both the Otero and Vian family had multiple children. He felt comfortable operating with multiple children present. I'm left wondering why. In reading the NYT article today about his daughter, I'm struck how she states that she knew a neighbor DR killed had been strangled, started having night terrors, and would awaken saying that a "bad man was in the house." Her statements leave me wondering if she may have witnessed her neighbor's murder. (Dissociation, as can occur during an overwhelming trauma, can interfere with memory processes.) Certainly, I hope for her sake that she never witnessed anything. But with children present in Vian and Otero's murders and her statements, it leaves me questioning the possibility.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to meet Dr. Katherine Ramsland in person. Just been curious what she’s really like. I was on a mission to find her at CrimeCon. I asked her why she decided to become a serial killer expert — definitely was not expecting this answer.

Also - she can’t talk about having Bryan Kohberger as a student. Says she won’t until after the trial.

In this video, Dr. Ramsland also speaks about Dennis Rader.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back