ACTIVE SEARCH KS - Kendra Nystrom, 30, Maize, 4 May 2017

Group to begin renewed search for missing Maize woman

Kendra+Nystrom+mug+2018.JPG

Missing for more than a year, the search for answers continues in the disappearance of Kendra Nystrom. Saturday, a new search begins. The group looking for Nystrom is the same group that spent months searching for Lucas Hernandez.

For search organizer Sheila Medlam, the weekend kicking off the renewed search has special importance as it's the birthday of her son, Mason Medlam, who died eight years ago.

"That is fitting that for the first time since Lucas (Hernandez) was recovered that we will put boots on the ground on that particular day so that Lucas and Mason can walk beside us," Medlam says. "It is a day of celebration for me and I hope it becomes an important pivotal day for Kendra's family."

Group to begin renewed search for missing Maize woman

Kendra+Nystrom+mug+2018.JPG

Missing for more than a year, the search for answers continues in the disappearance of Kendra Nystrom. Saturday, a new search begins. The group looking for Nystrom is the same group that spent months searching for Lucas Hernandez.

For search organizer Sheila Medlam, the weekend kicking off the renewed search has special importance as it's the birthday of her son, Mason Medlam, who died eight years ago.

"That is fitting that for the first time since Lucas (Hernandez) was recovered that we will put boots on the ground on that particular day so that Lucas and Mason can walk beside us," Medlam says. "It is a day of celebration for me and I hope it becomes an important pivotal day for Kendra's family."
I so much love this!!!

Texas EquuSearch - TXEQ

MISSING: Kendra Nystrom, 31 Yrs., Maize, Kansas (05/04/17)

07/10/18 -- Kendra Nystrom, age 31, was last seen on May 4, 2017 in Maize, KS. Kendra was last seen wearing a white t-shirt and black sweat pants. She has a tattoo of the initials “RJ” on her left ring finger. If you have seen Kendra Nystrom, or have any information of her whereabouts, please call the Maize Police Department at (316) 425-3356 or Texas EquuSearch at (281) 309-9500.
upload_2018-7-11_18-23-54.png
MISSING: Kendra Nystrom, 31 Yrs., Maize, Kansas (05/04/17)

Group renews search for missing Maize woman

The search for a missing Maize woman has been renewed by a group known as Texas Equusearch, the Kansas Chapter. Around 30 people volunteered to search for Kendra Nystrom who has been missing for more than a year.

Maize police will put out additional information on future searches on their Facebook page.

"She could literally be anywhere," said Detective Jeff Piper, of the Maize Police Department. "It's our guess, she's still in this immediate area or even Sedgwick County, or even the state of Kansas for that matter."

"I think that we're probably closer now than we've been in a long time of being able to hopefully bring some answers to this mystery," said Piper.

New search efforts provide hope for family of missing Maize woman

July 18, 2018

The search group includes volunteers who searched for Lucas Hernandez earlier this year. They’ve been chartered as a part of Texas Equusearch, which has helped investigate many high-profile missing person cases. The group is not giving up hope, said volunteer Julie La Force.

“Kendra’s been missing for over a year now, “La Force said. “We need to start turning our focus onto her. We can’t let her slip through the cracks. She’s like all the other ones who are slipping through the cracks as well. We found out that, through Lucas, that the more you keep them in the headlines the more attention comes out. Possibly new leads can come out.”

Missing in Kansas: Kendra Nystrom

Last edited:
Maize PD believes Kendra accidently drowned in the Cowskin Creek that runs behind her parents home after she ran from police when they came to the door. The search group found a piece of clothing (pants) and another undisclosed item that are confirmed to be Kendra's through DNA, in the same area LE had previously searched. (When LE searched this area it was flooded and that is why they were not able to find the items.) They also believe her body could have travelled as far as 20 miles down the creek.

Maize police to discuss 'recent discovery' in Kendra Nystrom disappearance

I am so incredibly proud of our WSers who are involved in the KS chapter of TEQ. They have brought this family the answers they were so desperate for. What an honor to say I "know" them, even if it is through an anonymous message board. I broke into chills when Sheila said it was a miracle they found the small, undisclosed item. Lucas, buddy, you continue to inspire life-changing events. #lucasstrong

I am so incredibly proud of our WSers who are involved in the KS chapter of TEQ. They have brought this family the answers they were so desperate for. What an honor to say I "know" them, even if it is through an anonymous message board. I broke into chills when Sheila said it was a miracle they found the small, undisclosed item. Lucas, buddy, you continue to inspire life-changing events. #lucasstrong

I couldn't agree more! So, so proud of them and thankful to have another team of people looking for the missing. :)

Here is the Maize Police Department statement: Maize Police Department

JUL 27, 2018
DNA evidence discovered in missing woman Kendra Nystrom’s case
The Kansas Chapter of Texas EquuSearch, which formed to help search for Lucas Hernandez, 5, in February, has been searching for Kendra since July 7.

Two days into the search, the group found a pair of pants and another small item that had her DNA on it “entangled in the tree limbs” at the high water mark where the water would have been on the day she went missing. The pants are similar to the pair she was wearing when she disappeared, Piper said.

He would not say what the other item was, because Maize police “don’t want anyone taking the information that we give today and essentially creating a new story for us to follow-up on.”

Piper said Maize police have followed tips about Kendra’s whereabouts as far away as Mexico, and the case is still open. Most tips have included some sort of foul play. A tipster in May said Kendra was being held in Iowa. A video surfaced later that month of a homeless woman in Mexico named Kendra. In total, Piper said Maize police dealt with nine different tips all involving foul play.

But he said the new discoveries, along with the “totality of the circumstances” surrounding Kendra’s disappearance, lead police to believe it’s “highly probable that Kendra went into the flooded creek on May 4 and likely drowned.”

“However,” Piper said, “because we can neither prove nor disprove this theory due to the lack of human remains, Kendra is still considered a missing person and her case remains open.”

Kendra’s parents, who have been vocal in seeking help finding their missing daughter, did not attend the announcement after just learning about the new information.

The last time Kendra’s parents saw her was on footage from their home’s video surveillance system more than a year ago.

Kendra, who was 30 at the time, stopped by her parents’ house to do laundry on the morning of May 4, 2017.

She came with a friend, who waited outside by the car while Kendra went inside.

Kendra set off the alarm at the house. The alarm drew police.

Kendra, who might have been high, waited inside. She watched while police handcuffed her friend, who had some meth on her.

Then, the footage shows Kendra carrying her Chihuahua, Frankie, to the back porch. Walking south, she followed the Cowskin Creek out of the camera’s view. She left behind her cell phone, wallet, car and clothing.

That’s the last time Judith and Bruce Nystrom saw their daughter, who they say struggled with addiction and had been hanging around a group of people that didn’t have her best interests at heart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back