Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.

flute4peace

Reaction score
Search continues for missing Wichita boy

cache.php

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) Wichita police are investigating a missing child case in the 600 block of South Edgemoor.

Sedgwick County dispatchers confirmed to Eyewitness News that police are on scene looking into the disappearance of a 5-year-old child last seen around 3 pm on Saturday near Edgemoor between Lincoln & Kellogg.

Police say Lucas is Hispanic/white, four-feet tall, brown hair, brown eyes, and long lashes.

The boy was last seen wearing black sweats with a grey shirt that had a bear on it, white socks, and light blue Pull-up.

Rules Etiquette & Information

Flyers for Lucas Hernandez Thread

Media, Maps, and Timeline Thread

Verified Insider:

FindLucasAllen

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
Thread #25
Thread #26

Help Find Lucas Hernandez Facebook Page

Attachments

• lucas.jpg
    lucas.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Family concerned about Wichita boy's welfare before he went missing

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -
As the search continues for 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez, the boy's family returned to their home late Monday along with the FBI. Relatives watching from afar say it's not the first time an investigator was called there.

Wichita police say the boy's stepmother last saw Lucas at around 3 p.m. Saturday. She then took a shower and fell asleep, and officers were notified around 6:15 p.m. that the boy was missing.

Sally Rasmussen is Lucas' great aunt, who spoke with KAKE News from her home in New Mexico. She says was sent a photo of Lucas last year and saw multiple bruises on his face and neck. She called police.

"All these stories I'd been hearing for months about him possibly being abused," she said.

http://www.kake.com/story/37541152/...utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_KAKEnews

DA will not file charges yet in death of 5-year-old Lucas

No charges will be filed Wedneday in the death of Lucas Hernandez, according to District Attorney Marc Bennett.

The investigation is not final until the autopsy is complete and the toxicology results are available, Bennett said in a brief statement Wednesday afternoon.

The Wichita police presented their case to the District Attorney's office Thursday morning.

Investigators are are following up on some newly developed leads, Bennett said.

David Marshburn recorded audio of Emily Glass while he and his partner, Marsha, drove her around on the day they searched for and found Lucas' body.

In the audio, you can hear Glass crying a lot -- mostly when she talks about going back to jail.

Below is a transcript from some of that audio.

Emily: I just, I feel so sorry. I put everyone through (explicit) hell.

Marsha: The only thing you can do from here is move forward.

Emily: (crying) I did Lucas so wrong. I did him wrong. That's the God's honest truth.

Emily: I don't know exactly where it's at. I just know it's in Kechi.

Emily: I'm such a piece of (explicit). I'm a piece of (explicit). I can't do jail, I can't.

Marsha: You ain't gonna do jail.

Emily: Pre-trial services is not going to let me out.

Emily: I don't understand any of this. I don't understand why.

Marsha: What do you mean? Why what?

Emily: Why would you be with me?

Marsha: Because that's what we do. it's our job.
'I did Lucas so wrong': Nancy Grace podcast airs more audio from Emily Glass

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing. I’m not being snarky. People hate to be proven wrong about something they believe to be true. Her supporters don’t want to admit they are backing a child killer.
BBM.
I'm not excusing JH.

What liltexans said here ^^ is exactly it -- we will first believe something we want to believe. Or on the other end, we will disbelieve something we don't want to be true.
DM said EG was "conniving" and "slick." In other words, she is very good at manipulating and maneuvering. It is easy for us to think we would see right through her or someone like her, but we have never shared a home or children or dreams for the future with her. When his family was reporting abuse, it seemed over the top and probably seemed disloyal--they were trying to help JO take Lucas away from him!

The climate here against DCF is unreal but understandable. My statement is not about DCF workers or their efforts but about how people talk about them. They are consistently accused of doing too much to innocent children from decent homes -- while also being accused of not doing near enough to protect children in real danger. There is a lot of fear among parents about losing their children for a variety of reasons; there is extreme distrust of the foster system. Parents are terrified of their children being traumatized, drugged, & abused when they are ripped away and put in foster care -- because stories like this are everywhere and are being shared regularly. I have actually heard people voicing concern for children but stating they would not call DCF because they worry the child will end up in worse shape afterwards--not by retaliating parents even, but by the foster care system. Some will contact police but they will not touch DCF with a 10 foot pole; still others don't report themselves but will tell every mandated reporter they can think to tell to maximize reports coming in. It's hard to say what is effective and what isn't when there is true cause for concern.

I mention all of this for a reason. First people view DCF and family court as one big conglomeration--they're all in it together.

I think EG has probably always fed a line to JH about some stupid or "idiot" reason being behind losing custody of her boys -- it was blown out of proportion. She's innocent. She's a victim in all this. JH saw how important it was to EG to have her boys -- he viewed the family court system as crooked, because look what they did to Emily! Why respond to DCF attempts to reach him? No way, they'd probably twist his words. None of their business, nothing to worry about. EG may have even convinced him that this effort to investigate marks on Lucas was even tied to her not having her boys -- her ex didn't want her to have kids; JO didn't want Lucas to love her -- everyone hates her and is trying to ruin her life.

I mention this because I'm starting to think that JH's worst fear from Day 1 was not that Lucas was in danger, but that DCF would snatch his kids like they did with EG's boys. I'm thinking now that he thought Lucas was safe and people had the answers, but he was angry they took his boy over "drama" that could all be explained (by EG, of course) -- I look back at everything through this lens, and his behavior starts to make more sense to me. They had no right to Lucas, and he wanted to find him -- meanwhile he had to keep working and trying to put his family back together.

I'm starting to wonder if JH early on believed that the "kidnapping" was connected to the reports and his family & JO. When the abuse reports hit the news, I think JH was livid because he felt it was a smear campaign orchestrated by the very people "responsible." It was the world against him & EG.
Someone didn't want them to be together for some reason, but they would have to deal with it--and Lucas just needed to come home and it would all be straightened out.

I think when DM rolled into town, he earned JH's trust quickly--especially if DM assured him he believed in his innocence. Perhaps he explained it would be easier to "clear" EG if he could talk to her alone--eliminate any doubt in anyone's minds that any of her answers would be for JH's benefit. Both DM & JH likely believed that it would take a good while longer for Lucas to be found -- JH probably thought once DM finished with EG that day, he'd be hitting up JO and anyone else he needed to talk to. Why not go back to work? He needed to work as much as possible -- he's already missed a lot, he'd have to miss more for future court dates, he needed to show his dedication to responsibility to put his family back together, & he wanted to work consistently so he could take some time off to see Lucas once he was found & returned.
I believe he went to work because DM gave the all clear to do so and he had no clue everything would come to a head so quickly.

I think DM tried to give both JH & EG the impression that he would get to the bottom of everything so the right people would be held responsible and it was just a matter of time before their family would be intact again -- this is bolstered by Marsha's comment to EG about posting bond "That's what we were hired to do" -- the sole purpose of cooperating with a PI was to put their family back together. No reason to worry.

This just aired late last night. It’s time to recognize the positive things about Kansas and it’s services.

5 Kansas siblings whose case drew national attention adopted became known as the "Fab Five"

Thousands of adoption inquiries rolled in from as far away as Ireland and New Zealand after a simple plea from five Kansas siblings: They wanted to be adopted together.

The flood of offers followed a story in the Kansas City Star about the three boys and two girls, who became known as the "Fab Five." The newspaper story drew nearly 7 million online readers, and an unprecedented number of adoption inquiries crashed the state-contracted Adopt Kansas Kids website a day after the story ran.

But it turns out that a local couple had narrowly beat the flood of interest. And on Wednesday, the couple formally became parents.

A judge officially approved Jeff and Toni Whaley's request to adopt the five children, who range in age from 3 to 12, during a ceremony in Johnson County courtroom.

"We feel blessed," Jeff Whaley said. Added 9-year-old Layla, the chattiest of the siblings: "It was really, really important that we stay together."

The Whaleys live in Douglas County, west of Kansas City, and had seen a state-produced video about the children. They applied to adopt the children, who had been living in separate foster homes, just days before the original newspaper story ran last year, the Kansas City Star reported Wednesday.

The couple had no children but had served as foster parents for the past several years. They were originally thinking of adopting up to three youngsters — but they fell in love with the Fab Five.

The state strictly guarded information about the children's background and whereabouts. But the Whaleys had been quietly fostering all five children since August. The children have been eating from the family garden, taking hay rides and gotten to know their grandfather's pet chicken.

"They're all such nice kids," their grandfather said. "I just love them to pieces."

State officials said interest in the siblings helped draw families to other children in need of permanent homes. The Whaleys hope their story promotes the benefits of adoption.
5 Kansas siblings whose case drew national attention adopted

The PI told JH "she did it, she did it" also told him to think back everytime Lucas was hurt he wasn't in town, told him that it was either JH or EG (would have to go back for exact wording on that)- so JH knew the PI was not there to clear EG - I think JH thought EG would never spill the beans on where Lucas was and without finding Lucas they could never charge her or him.

I just want to see JH looked at the same way people tend to look at the majority of cases similar to this we see where a child's mom's boyfriend (or husband) abuses and kills the mom's child. I rarely see anyone defend women who look the other way while their child gets abused or killed by their significant other. I look at this case the same way, but the genders are different from the majority of cases we see. This time it's a woman who abused and killed her boyfriend's child. JH does not get sympathy from me because he was trying to provide for his family. Plenty of women are the breadwinners in their families as well. It doesn't make it okay to leave one's child in the care of an abuser.

I just want to see JH looked at the same way people tend to look at the majority of cases similar to this we see where a child's mom's boyfriend (or husband) abuses and kills the mom's child. I rarely see anyone defend women who look the other way while their child gets abused or killed by their significant other. I look at this case the same way, but the genders are different from the majority of cases we see. This time it's a woman who abused and killed her boyfriend's child. JH does not get sympathy from me because he was trying to provide for his family. Plenty of women are the breadwinners in their families as well. It doesn't make it okay to leave one's child in the care of an abuser.

I could give you a big hug! You said it so much better than my attempts.

This just aired late last night. It’s time to recognize the positive things about Kansas and it’s services.

5 Kansas siblings whose case drew national attention adopted became known as the "Fab Five"

Thousands of adoption inquiries rolled in from as far away as Ireland and New Zealand after a simple plea from five Kansas siblings: They wanted to be adopted together.

The flood of offers followed a story in the Kansas City Star about the three boys and two girls, who became known as the "Fab Five." The newspaper story drew nearly 7 million online readers, and an unprecedented number of adoption inquiries crashed the state-contracted Adopt Kansas Kids website a day after the story ran.

But it turns out that a local couple had narrowly beat the flood of interest. And on Wednesday, the couple formally became parents.

A judge officially approved Jeff and Toni Whaley's request to adopt the five children, who range in age from 3 to 12, during a ceremony in Johnson County courtroom.

"We feel blessed," Jeff Whaley said. Added 9-year-old Layla, the chattiest of the siblings: "It was really, really important that we stay together."

The Whaleys live in Douglas County, west of Kansas City, and had seen a state-produced video about the children. They applied to adopt the children, who had been living in separate foster homes, just days before the original newspaper story ran last year, the Kansas City Star reported Wednesday.

The couple had no children but had served as foster parents for the past several years. They were originally thinking of adopting up to three youngsters — but they fell in love with the Fab Five.

The state strictly guarded information about the children's background and whereabouts. But the Whaleys had been quietly fostering all five children since August. The children have been eating from the family garden, taking hay rides and gotten to know their grandfather's pet chicken.

"They're all such nice kids," their grandfather said. "I just love them to pieces."

State officials said interest in the siblings helped draw families to other children in need of permanent homes. The Whaleys hope their story promotes the benefits of adoption.
5 Kansas siblings whose case drew national attention adopted

I personally do not hold a grudge towards the citizens of each state when a crime occurs. I hold the agencies involved that make mistakes to allow a crime to proceed such as this case. Social services need to be held accountable as well and several other ppl too. From a case worker's view point, it can be very overwhelming and swamped with cases which leads me to say that changes need to happen from the top working downwards so no child, adult and the elderly will die. JMO

I love Kansas!

The Kansas Department for Children and Families plans to remove a new rule banning contractors from opposing the agency after questions about whether the change would stifle policy debate and contradict promises of transparency.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the removal comes after the agency announced new child welfare contracts Thursday that raised free-speech concerns. The contracts require prior approval for any public statements identifying the agency. Private contractors also must "conspicuously acknowledge support of DCF" in any announcement about the contract.

Christie Appelhanz is the executive director of the Children's Alliance of Kansas, which represents child welfare agencies. She says the contracts emphasize greater collaboration but prohibit people working within the system from testifying before lawmakers.

The department says the lobbying restriction was meant to foster good public-private partnerships.
Kansas child welfare agency rescinds rule banning opposition

I JUST said this to my spouse the other day! If it were a woman who stood back and "didn't know" her live-in boyfriend was beating the crap out of her kids, everyone would be coming at her with pitchforks and flaming torches (and rightfully so). We expect women to be maternal and protect their children, so when they stand back and let these things happen (or are the ones who do these things), we're extra outraged. Men are expected to provide financially, so the fact that he was off working and not really in the loop about what was going on with his kids is somewhat expected and excusable. What if a woman had left her child in another state while she worked, with a boyfriend who had only only supervised visitation of his own children? A man who had a history of drugs and DV? A man who her child repeated told everyone was beating him/her? There would be NO sympathy for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288