Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #34

Poor Lucas didn’t stand a chance. Your parents are *supposed* to love and protect you. Neither did that for Lucas.

“We” didn’t fail Lucas, and “we” aren’t going to fail future generations. Abusive, neglectful, absentee parents will though.

I’m beating a dead horse, but children don’t ask to be born. Be responsible and don’t procreate if you cannot provide a safe and loving life for your child.
For real. Procreation is a huge problem in these situations. Moo.

Free Birth control for druggies? Some of them WANT to have kids so they can get Govt assistance. Not saying that is the case here (wait was this ever discussed as related to EG, Govt assistance?)

What is the final chapter here? Lucas is dead and so is Emily...Now what? There are too many caring people and child advocates here for aooomwrhing productive not to come out of this.

Time for Lucas’ Law, whatever that may be...thoughts??

People share so much of themselves here in trying to figure out the pieces of a case. It’s humbling to follow along and though I rarely have anything productive to add to the process, I am so moved by the efforts Websleuthsers go to for the victims. I wish there was more post case discussion. I sometimes feel that (a very small) part of the reason nothing ever seems to get better after cases like Lucas’ is that in our zeal not to hurt the family and other case players, not to have our conversation devolve into something resembling blame towards anyone other than the perpetrators, we fail to fully understand all we could from a case and it’s aftermath. We fail the next generation of kid victims because we don’t look deeply enough into how the situation got to where it was. Probably not the thing for WS though. Just random thoughts as I page through cases tonight looking for the next one I will follow.
Ok what productive things have we learned from Lucas’ death that can help save the next one. That is where we are at now, moo.

Kansas has been under the microscope now as a result of Ethan and Lucas. What is going on in our own states?

What is the status of Sherin’s Law?

What about Lucas’ Law? What IS Lucas’ Law?!

What are the solutions here. We can ***** about the problems all we want.

Lucas’ abuse and death leads to something good and helpful for the other mistreated little ones out there....what is it?

Look at the good that Amber Alerts have produced . And the emergence of TES, both through tragedy.

What torch has Lucas lit? With all the love and great minds here, what is the next step?

How about if you can’t have custody of your own kids you shouldn’t be able to be a guardian or caregiver of stepchildren? Thinking out loud. How the hell did that fall under the radar anyway? What is the protocol/system of crosschecking in such things?

Eta: how about people with known heavy drug usage have to undergo a mandatory visit from CPS etc to make sure the kids at home are safe...just thinking.

“7 Reports”. That’s BS.

I have 3 decades experience in politics and retired. Thinking about starting an organized effort in Kansas to change some law re child abuse. Anyone local contact me. Kansas and a couple other states need real change not the PRVtheyre doing now. And part of that effort has to be a public inquest re Lucas death. No state official is going to do it now.

Poor Lucas didn’t stand a chance. Your parents are *supposed* to love and protect you. Neither did that for Lucas.

“We” didn’t fail Lucas, and “we” aren’t going to fail future generations. Abusive, neglectful, absentee parents will though.

I’m beating a dead horse, but children don’t ask to be born. Be responsible and don’t procreate if you cannot provide a safe and loving life for your child.
My apologies if the “we” came off as if “we”share the blame. I more meant what can we learn from this case that might help stop these tragedies, if anything. Yes, parents are ultimately responsible for their kids safety and welfare. But I think that their is value, or should be, in what society could do to help.

<snipped and bolded by me>
How about if you can’t have custody of your own kids you shouldn’t be able to be a guardian or caregiver of stepchildren? Thinking out loud. How the hell did that fall under the radar anyway? What is the protocol/system of crosschecking in such things?

“7 Reports”. That’s BS.

Great idea! It sure seems like that’d be a given! If you’re not competent to care for your own kids according to CPS why should you be allowed to care for other’s kids?

Maybe we should bombard his office with email requests asking for the update he promised? I’ll give it a try if someone posts his email address for me. Just a thought.

I'll email the DA from Canada, regardless of how meaningless it is. After all, Lucas touched people's hearts around the world. It may also help to bombard the Wichita media, asking them to follow up on the DA's promise. As long as the media knows that the public is still very interested, they might be a little more proactive. One article updating what the DA replied to their inquiry carries more weight than dozens of emails to the DA, although both are constructive. When you have the media still interested, you have a chance to make a difference. moo

Short summary of Kansas DCF recent activity:

Snip: Hundreds of young people age out of the Kansas foster care system each year. Many of them leave with a lack of support systems and resources to start their lives as independent adults. In an effort to get them started on the right foot, the Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) recently offered several computer camps across the state, where the youth (ages 16 to 20) receive free computers and instruction.

This initiative is paid for by the federal Chafee grant, which is 80 percent federal funds, with a mandatory 20 percent State General Funds match. This is the 14th year for the camp.
DCF Computer Camps Help Youth in Foster Care Prepare for Adulthood - WIBW News Now!

Snip: The former director of the Emporia State University’s early childhood center has been granted diversion for failing to report suspected child abuse or neglect at the center.

The Emporia Gazette reports Keely Persinger’s record will be cleared if she successfully completes the plea agreement. A pretrial conference for Kimberly Schneider, a former teacher at the center, was continued to August 20th. She is charged with five counts of child endangerment.

Teacher’s aides and parents have said they reported their concerns to the state that a teacher was not treating the children correctly. Persinger was charged with not investigating the complaints or filing necessary documentation.
Ex-director of Emporia State University's child center gets diversion for failing to report suspected abuse - WIBW News Now!

Snip: Kansas is distributing $5 million in state grants for security features to improve the safety of children and staff in school buildings operated by more than 150 districts.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the state Department of Education began distributing the grants Monday for new doors, windows, security cameras, intercoms and other safety features at schools. The appropriations authorized by lawmakers must be matched by districts submitting requests to the state Board of Education.
Kansas to distribute $5 million in grants to improve school safety - WIBW News Now!

Snip: The Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF) Secretary Gina Meier-Hummel is pleased to announce the relocation of five staff to improve community relations and outreach. The staff, previously located in the DCF Administration Office in Topeka, Kan., are now being strategically placed across the state to create meaningful community relationships, and to focus on targeted foster care recruitment.

Effective July 1, 2018, staff were placed in specific counties that have a high number of youth in foster care. In the next two months, two more staff will start at the agency to assist with foster care recruitment as well. Additionally, the team will be working with community partners, schools, faith-based organizations and others to discuss effective prevention programs to serve the families in each community.
DCF Enacts Changes to Improve Community Relations, Foster Care Recruitment - WIBW News Now!

Snip: The father of a 5-year-old Kansas boy whose body was found months after he was reporting missing has pleaded guilty to hitting another child.

Thirty-four-year-old Jonathan Hernandez, of Wichita, was sentenced Wednesday to one year of probation and ordered to complete a parenting class after admitting to misdemeanor battery. Prosecutors said in a news release that Hernandez struck his girlfriend’s 6-year-old, causing redness and swelling on the boy’s chest.
Father of Lucas Hernandez pleads guilty to hitting another child - WIBW News Now!

Snip: Newly released records show the state’s child protection system was alerted at least seven times that a 5-year-old Wichita boy was being abused or neglected before his body was found under a bridge.

Records in another Wichita child’s death show the agency received a report that 2-year-old Tony Bunn likely was being abused seven months before he allegedly was beaten to death.

The Wichita Eagle reports the Kansas Department for Children and Families provided a timeline Friday in the case of Lucas Hernandez, who was missing for months before his body was found May 24. The reports indicating the boy was abused, neglected or lacked supervision began when he was 7 months old.
Records show two cases where DCF was alerted about child abuse before child died - WIBW News Now!

Snip: Department for Children and Families Secretary Gina Meier-Hummel did child protection investigations earlier in her career. She says unlicensed employees are capable of doing the work.
https://www.wibwnewsnow.com/new-rules-for-dcf-investigators-face-

Snip: Agency officials on Wednesday said that some organizations won’t be able to impose their religious thinking when choosing parents, but that some still retain that power.

A law signed into effect this spring underscored the ability of the faith-based standards — promoted as a way to draw more agencies into the process.

DCF spokeswoman Taylor Forrest said none of the companies with grants to manage wide-ranging child welfare on behalf of the state can use the religious exemption to turn away families.
Under New Kan. Foster Care System, Major Agencies Still Can’t Turn Away Same-Sex Parents

DCF District Court
http://www.dc18.org/courtscheduling/dmatty/dmattyweek.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500