Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Find Marilane page, she checked into the Quality Inn hotel at 3:37 a.m. on Sunday morning and checked back out at 6:08 a.m. That’s based on the hotel’s surveillance footage and time stamps. She wasn’t at the hotel but 2-1/2 hours, not enough time for even a decent nap after driving. I took a screenshot of the info and hope that it is allowed. If not, please delete and advise. This is very concerning to me. That’s her walking into the hotel in the photo.

BBM. This!!

I'm very worried that she was severely sleep deprived going into this trip and likely had nearly zero sleep during trip. Perhaps we're looking at an accident due to lack of sleep?

Very hopeful but extremely worried.

BBM. This!!

I'm very worried that she was severely sleep deprived going into this trip and likely had nearly zero sleep during trip. Perhaps we're looking at an accident due to lack of sleep?

Very hopeful but extremely worried.

Agree with you both. Sleep deprivation can make you delusional. I can't even imagine her driving in that condition. She also left her home for at least a 10 plus hour trip at 8:15 pm?!?

Is there the equivalent of an Amber Alert for adults?
Not that she was abducted, but.. I certainly hope citizens across the south are being notified some way!
How could she and her vehicle just disappear??
I suppose there are plenty of wooded or field trails she could have taken.
Praying.

Last edited:
I live in Kansas City, and you definitely wouldn't need to travel to Birmingham to get treated for sleep issues, there are plenty of resources here. I wonder if there were marital issues as well? Or whether someone decided it would be a good idea for her to get out of town to seek mental health treatment, perhaps because of stigma in the church? Just my speculation.

https://www.arkansasbaptist.org/post/kansas-pastor-s-wife-goes-missing-on-drive-to-alabama

Associate pastor Jason Franklin told Baptist Press the church is struggling with feelings of having failed the 36-year-old mother of three children, although he said her reported mental health struggles were not common knowledge among the congregation of about 100 worshipers.

Shortly after noon today (Aug. 6), a Find Marilane post indicated that the Crittenden County (Arkansas) Sheriff’s Department has intensified a search for Marilane in West Memphis, Ark., about 10 miles west of Memphis, Tenn., on the other side of the Mississippi River.

“The Crittenden County Sheriff’s Department is now conducting searches with 4-wheelers by ground and drones by air within the area last pinged on Marilane’s cell phone,” the post reads. The sheriff’s department posted on its page, “Missing person possibly last known whereabouts Crittenden County, Arkansas, near the Big River crossing near I-55 and the Old Bridge.”

Law enforcement agencies from at least four states are involved in the search, as well as volunteers. The National Center For Missing and Endangered, Inc., has posted a widely shared press release from Overland Park police announcing Marilane’s disappearance.
I'm struggling with getting a clear understanding of what is going on with Marilane. Some describe her as having "mental health issues" and today her Mom described it as "sleep issues". I guess we are supposed to read between the lines, as there are privacy issues at stake here. No one would want their private struggles spelled out in national media. She's also the lead pastor's wife, and that's a whole other layer of expectation she would deal with.

I wish we could be more honest about mental health issues. There have been great strides, but many times it's still a shameful thing to admit and seek help for in some circumstances. God isn't against his kids seeking help. Matter of fact I'm certain that bringing things into the light and not hiding them is the first step to healing.

I am confused about the sleep/mental health issue and helping with the newborn. No one struggling with those issues would be expected to help with a newborn baby, imo. Was the "helping sister with the new baby" a reason to get away and then the real issues surfaced once she went missing?

I am confused about the sleep/mental health issue and helping with the newborn. No one struggling with those issues would be expected to help with a newborn baby, imo. Was the "helping sister with the new baby" a reason to get away and then the real issues surfaced once she went missing?
IMO, they are window dressing the truth.

Adam Carter said his wife planned to seek mental health treatment at a hospital in Birmingham, Alabama, where she had previously worked.

“I had offered to take her to a hospital there in the Kansas City area, but she wanted to go somewhere to just get some help at a place that she felt that she could trust and was familiar with,” Adam Carter said.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/husband-of-missing-overland-park-woman-encouraged-by-recent-tips?fbclid=IwAR3qaYNniSYgjMf-7963vK_qnBiA9

Ok. Young Mom with three small kids, lead pastor's wife. Struggling with mental health and sleep issues, all the while maybe needing to pretend that everything is "just great".

Those things combined would tax the coping mechanisms of any woman.

“She’d do anything for anybody and to help someone,” Carter said. “She’s helped a lot of people over the years; she’s helped me. I’m forever indebted to her and so I think this is a way that all of us can pay it forward to her because she’s given so much to so many other people.”

A lot of past tense used here...jmo

“She’d do anything for anybody and to help someone,” Carter said. “She’s helped a lot of people over the years; she’s helped me. I’m forever indebted to her and so I think this is a way that all of us can pay it forward to her because she’s given so much to so many other people.”

A lot of past tense used here...jmo
It was said in an earlier news story that Marilane made some concerning statements, which is why everyone is worried. I'll see if I can find it.

Husband's past tense language seems to indicate he is concerned with self-harm.

His statement also indicated yet another pressure Marilane was likely under. She may have had a hard time saying no, to her own personal detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member