KS - Rice County Sheriff and Undersheriff shot by POI in missing woman's case

perfectingpink

Reaction score
Kansas Bureau of Investigation

The Rice County Sheriff and Undersheriff were shot at separate locations in Rice County on Monday evening. KBI agents responded to investigate the shooting, and assist in attempts to apprehend the suspect.
Preliminary information indicates that at approximately 5:10 p.m. Monday, April 29, the Rice County Undersheriff attempted a car stop near the Sonic Restaurant, just north of the Sterling city limits. The car stop was related to a warrant for the vehicle’s occupant, David L. Madden, 37, of Alden.
Within approximately thirty seconds of initiating the car stop, the Undersheriff radioed to dispatch that he had been shot. EMS responded, and he was flown to a Wichita hospital. He is being treated for four gunshot wounds, and is currently in critical, but stable condition.
Following the shooting of the Undersheriff, the Rice County Sheriff learned information that Madden likely fled to a residence in rural Rice County, southeast of Raymond. He and another sheriff’s deputy arrived at the residence and encountered Madden. Gunshots were exchanged, and one round struck the Sheriff in the leg.
The Sheriff and deputy called for assistance and additional law enforcement agencies responded. Authorities were able to surround the home, and establish a perimeter.
The Sheriff was taken to a hospital in Lyons, Kan., and was then transported to a Wichita hospital. The Sheriff is currently in good condition.
The standoff at the residence in Rice County continues with multiple law enforcement agencies on scene.

Stolen directly from PommyMommy upload_2019-4-30_0-46-23.png

Update 9 p.m. Monday, April 29, 2019

[...]

Court documents say Madden, who served in the U.S. Marine Corps, smuggled an AK-47 into the United States from Iraq. That same document says a KBI agent investigating the case of a missing woman named Megan Foglesong received information that Madden was suspected to be involved with explosives or explosive materials. This agent the notified the ATF, court documents say.

Foglesong, then 21, was last seen in 2015 in Alden, Kan. This is where Madden lives, records show. Police haven't identified Madden as a suspect in Foglesong's case, but he is listed as "a person of interest."

[...]

Update 7:40 p.m. Monday, April 29, 2019

[...]

The KBI says Sheriff Bryant Evans was shot in the leg and taken to a hospital in Lyons. Undersheriff Chad Murphy was shot in the neck and transported to Wichita, the KBI says.

The KBI identifies the man suspected of shooting them as 37-year-old David L. Madden.

Update 6:50 p.m. Monday, April 29, 2019

An official with Rice County says there is currently no threat to the public, although a search for a suspect continues after two officers with the Rice County Sheriff's Office were shot in Sterling.

[...]

Update 6:35 p.m. Monday, April 29, 2019

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation tells us two deputies with the Rice County Sheriff's Office have been shot.

[...]
KS - KS - Megan Foglesong, 22, Alden, 25 Nov 2015

Shooting critically injures Rice Co. Undersheriff; Sheriff also shot
The KBI says the suspect remained in a standoff with authorities late Monday.

Rice Co. Sheriff, Undersheriff shot, search for suspect
Law enforcement have surrounded a rural residence in Rice County where they believe the suspect is.

Updated: Rice County Sheriff, Undersheriff shot; suspect surrounded
[...]

There were unconfirmed reports Madden’s father, Tom Madden, also had been shot. Law enforcement’s search for Madden led to Alden, where a residence he had lived in was cordoned off. Emergency vehicles also swarmed a rural residence west of Alden, and efforts to arrest David Madden were ongoing as of 9 p.m.

[...]

In Alden, north and west of Sterling, officers cordoned off a residence on a dirt street. Most law enforcement vehicles, however, were traveling west past Alden to a rural residence. Madden’s father, Tom Madden, had a Raymond-area address, west of Alden.

[...]

Katie Johnston on Twitter
UPDATE FROM KBI: -Rice Co Undersheriff and Sheriff both shot -Photo is of the suspect David Madden @KWCH12
D5XJ1beWwAA0IuY.jpg
D5XJ1beW4AUHUQx.jpg

8:45 PM - 29 Apr 2019

Rice County sheriff, undersheriff shot, injured, search for suspect continues
UPDATE: As of 11:30 p.m. Monday night the standoff at the home in rural Rice County continues with multiple agencies on scene.

Rice County sheriff, undersheriff shot, injured, two bodies found in home

Update 1:45 a.m. Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation confirms the bodies of two men have been found inside a home in rural Rice county where law enforcement were previously involved in a standoff.

Cory Latham with the KBI says a Kansas Highway Patrol Swat Team forced entry into the home and found the men. Latham would not confirm the men's identities until they have spoken with their families, but they do say there is no threat to the public.

Latham says the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will sweep the house for explosives before KBI enters the home to investigate. Court documents say AFT agents previously searched Madden's home and found crates containing 24 separate metal pipe bombs and an unregistered AK-47.

[....]

So he killed his Dad and them himself. Ugh. Now will they be able to find the missing woman?

KS - KS - Megan Foglesong, 22, Alden, 25 Nov 2015

"That same document says a KBI agent investigating the case of a missing woman named Megan Foglesong received information that Madden was suspected to be involved with explosives or explosive materials. This agent the notified the ATF, court documents say.

Foglesong, then 21, was last seen in 2015 in Alden, Kan. This is where Madden lives, records show. Police haven't identified Madden as a suspect in Foglesong's case, but he is listed as "a person of interest."

David L. Madden, 37, Alden, Kan., is charged with one count of unlawful possession of a machine gun. The crime is alleged to have occurred Feb. 22, 2017, in Rice County, Kan.

If convicted, he faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigated. Assistant U.S. Attorney Alan Metzger is prosecuting.
Area residents face federal fraud, weapons, drug charges

Melissa Murray on Twitter
This is all we’re able to see near the home in rural Rice County where the KBI says 2 male bodies were found. Names are not being released at this time. KBI says this is where David Madden shot Rice Co. Sheriff Bryant Evans yesterday. The sheriff is out of the hospital. #KWCH12
D5ZRYbeWsAAyfRF.jpg

6:38 AM - 30 Apr 2019

Annette Lawless
Annette Lawless, a reporter for KAKE, received a letter shortly after she reported on Megan Foglesong's disappearance. Others supposedly got the letter, including the FBI, Megan’s step-mom and Nancy Grace. Megan remains missing. This post includes small portions of the letter.

Last edited:
Sterling Police Department, Kansas
The Sterling Police Department thanks emergency medical, fire, dispatchers, hospitals, and civilians that jumped in to help. They say that 100’s of brothers and sisters in blue responded from across the state from federal, state, county, and city law enforcement agencies.

They ask that we continue to pray for Undersheriff Chad Murphy and Sheriff Bryant Evans and their families as well as all those affected by this tragic event that rattled their community.

They will be not be issuing a formal press release. The KBI is conducting the investigation and press release requests will be referred accordingly.

State news: Rice County sheriff, undersheriff shot in related incidents
The KBI says two men have been found dead inside, but they have not publicly identified the men or the possible circumstances leading to their deaths.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is sweeping the house as the investigation continues. Court documents say ATF agents had searched Madden's home earlier and found 24 metal pipe bombs and an unregistered AK-47 rifle. Madden was indicted on a federal charge of unlawful possession of a machine gun just last week. He is also a person of interest in the case of 21-year-old Megan Foglesong, who has been missing since 2015.

Last edited:
KBI: Suspect, father dead in Rice Co. shooting, sheriff and undersheriff wounded
Update: 11:08 a.m.

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) announced that the standoff with a suspect who shot the Rice County Sheriff and Undersheriff Monday evening ended just after midnight on Tuesday morning.

At approximately 12:10 a.m., authorities located the body of David L. Madden inside the residence at 490 Avenue S. in Raymond, Kan. Also, found deceased in the home was Thomas T. Madden, 65, the father of the suspect, and owner of the home where the standoff occurred. No threat to the public exists any longer as a result of these shootings.

The investigation suggests that when Madden shot the Undersheriff, a female and a child accompanied him in the vehicle. Madden then fled the area and drove to his residence in Alden to retrieve guns and ammunition. He then went to his father’s home, where it is believed he fatally shot Thomas Madden prior to the Sheriff and deputy arriving. Then it is believed the female left the scene. A short time later, when the Sheriff arrived, which was at approximately 5:40 p.m., he was fired upon and shot in the leg.

[...]

KBI: David Madden fatally shot himself after shooting and killing his father, Tom Madden, at the home in Raymond last night. A woman and child were in the car with David during the initial traffic stop near Sterling, where David shot the Rice County Undersheriff. #KWCH12
1:45 PM - 30 Apr 2019

Cont.-KBI: Investigators can’t comment on the name of that woman, her relationship w/ David Madden, or where she is now. KBI adds David went to his home in Alden to get guns & ammunition after he fled the traffic stop & before he went to his father Tom’s house in Raymond. #KWCH12
1:48 PM - 30 Apr 2019

KBI is continuing to investigate with Rice County Sheriff’s Office and other agencies. ATF is looking for explosives at David’s house in Alden and his father’s house in Raymond. So far they have not found any. #KWCH12
1:49 PM - 30 Apr 2019

KBI says Rice County Undersheriff remains in critical but stable condition at Wesley Medical Center. Sheriff has been treated and released. #KWCH12
1:51 PM - 30 Apr 2019

MAY 2, 2019
Rice County undersheriff improving after shooting
[...]

Rice County Undersheriff Chad Murphy has been upgraded from critical to serious condition and his prognosis for recovery is good, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation said Wednesday. Sheriff Bryant Evans was released from the hospital on Tuesday. Rice County dispatchers tell KAKE News Sheriff Evans will be back at work Thursday.

[...]

MAY 1, 2019
Girlfriend: Man who shot officers 'not monster people made him out to be'
[...]

"The last thing he said was, 'I'm sorry I took you hostage. I love you so much. I'll always be with you,'" Baker says.

Minutes earlier, she says, Madden pointed a gun at her after shooting Rice County Undersheriff Chad Murphy.

"He told me to leave and I said 'no,'" Baker says. "And he turned and pointed the gun at me and told me I needed to go."

Monday, Baker says, she saw a David she didn't know.

"I knew him for almost a year and I knew him very well, and I never would have thought we would be put in that situation," she says.

Baker says when their vehicle was pulled over by Murphy Monday, sitting in the passenger seat, Madden already had his gun in his lap. She says when Murphy walked around to the passenger side and told him to get out, Madden started shooting.

She says Madden then ordered her to drive to his house in Alden where he got more guns and ammunition. She says she and her son got away once they got to David's father's house near Raymond.

"It breaks my heart (my son) had to see that and go through that. I wish he wasn't with us. I wish he didn't have to see it," Baker says.

[...]

"He wanted people to know he's not the monster people made him out to be, even after this incident," she says.

[...]

Wednesday, Eyewitness News also asked her about the disappearance of Megan Foglesong, in which the KBI identified Madden as a suspect.

"I honestly believe he had nothing to do with it,"Baker says.

[...]

Baker says investigators questioned her and currently, she is not facing any charges in connection with what happened Monday. She says she wishes she could have done more to prevent what unfolded. She says her son is currently with his father and she is fighting for the boy's custody.

[...]

MAY 2, 2019
Rice County undersheriff improving after shooting
[...]

Rice County Undersheriff Chad Murphy has been upgraded from critical to serious condition and his prognosis for recovery is good, the Kansas Bureau of Investigation said Wednesday. Sheriff Bryant Evans was released from the hospital on Tuesday. Rice County dispatchers tell KAKE News Sheriff Evans will be back at work Thursday.

[...]
Ahh this is so good to hear!!

MAY 1, 2019
Girlfriend: Man who shot officers 'not monster people made him out to be'
[...]

"The last thing he said was, 'I'm sorry I took you hostage. I love you so much. I'll always be with you,'" Baker says.

Minutes earlier, she says, Madden pointed a gun at her after shooting Rice County Undersheriff Chad Murphy.

"He told me to leave and I said 'no,'" Baker says. "And he turned and pointed the gun at me and told me I needed to go."

Monday, Baker says, she saw a David she didn't know.

"I knew him for almost a year and I knew him very well, and I never would have thought we would be put in that situation," she says.

Baker says when their vehicle was pulled over by Murphy Monday, sitting in the passenger seat, Madden already had his gun in his lap. She says when Murphy walked around to the passenger side and told him to get out, Madden started shooting.

She says Madden then ordered her to drive to his house in Alden where he got more guns and ammunition. She says she and her son got away once they got to David's father's house near Raymond.

"It breaks my heart (my son) had to see that and go through that. I wish he wasn't with us. I wish he didn't have to see it," Baker says.

[...]

"He wanted people to know he's not the monster people made him out to be, even after this incident," she says.

[...]

Wednesday, Eyewitness News also asked her about the disappearance of Megan Foglesong, in which the KBI identified Madden as a suspect.

"I honestly believe he had nothing to do with it,"Baker says.

[...]

Baker says investigators questioned her and currently, she is not facing any charges in connection with what happened Monday. She says she wishes she could have done more to prevent what unfolded. She says her son is currently with his father and she is fighting for the boy's custody.

[...]
I’m sorry but that is one deep Egyptian river she’s sailing in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back