KY KY - George Hawkins, 46, Newport, 3 April 1961

I was just a baby when The Beverly Hills Supper Club burnt down. I have been down to the bottom of the hill and seen the plaque they put up. It's not possible to go up there now, and on the anniversary I know family members are allowed up to pay their respects. It is now, though, nothing but a green field. No remnants remain. So sad. I am sorry for your loss as well.

KySleuth that was so sweet of you to offer your sympathy.

But hun, we had them to bury. We knew what happened to them and they were laid to rest. I was fairly young when that happened. So I don't remember it having so much of an impact on our family.

You, however, have been missing a very important person in your family for a very long time.

I can't imagine the pain that your family has gone though, not knowing.

I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better. I can't. I can just say I will pray for you and your family and that you will have resolution soon.

KySleuth that was so sweet of you to offer your sympathy.

But hun, we had them to bury. We knew what happened to them and they were laid to rest. I was fairly young when that happened. So I don't remember it having so much of an impact on our family.

You, however, have been missing a very important person in your family for a very long time.

I can't imagine the pain that your family has gone though, not knowing.

I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better. I can't. I can just say I will pray for you and your family and that you will have resolution soon.

Kat,

Do you have any ideas on who to talk to? Where to go? Or anything that would help give the man and the family peace? Should I continue my search, or leave it alone? We KNOW he died that day. I just want to give my mom and aunt closer, but at the same time the fear is still there. I have a family, two small kids, and I need to be here for them too. History does repeat itself. Any suggestions?

Kat,

Do you have any ideas on who to talk to? Where to go? Or anything that would help give the man and the family peace? Should I continue my search, or leave it alone? We KNOW he died that day. I just want to give my mom and aunt closer, but at the same time the fear is still there. I have a family, two small kids, and I need to be here for them too. History does repeat itself. Any suggestions?

Let me think on it kysleuth. I won't forget to come back and post who I think you might want to get in touch with. I just need to think about a good strategy.

No don't leave it alone. Do what you can. Don't neglect your family to do this.

I really don't think you have anything to fear as far as your own safety or the safety of your loved ones. I really don't.

I'll come back and post.

I've given it some thought. I have never had to do this before so I'm just going to give a basic outline on how I would approach it having learned from reading here on WS.

1. You will need to contact the local LE entity that investigated your Grandfather's murder. Ask them if your Grandfather's case is open or inactive or closed.

2. If it is still open and active you will need to begin contacting them on a regular basis (the detective that holds the cold case) in a polite manner, letting that detective get to know you and your family and how important it is to you all to have some resolution.

3. If it is inactive or closed, then you will have to ask them to reopen. You will need to know each of the LE entities that may have been involved in the investigation. You find that out by just asking. Start at the local LE level and move your way up. You may even have to go to your Senator of Governor.

Here is my advice that I strongly suggest you do having dealt the bureaucracy within the Military as a Military wife.

1. Keep what is known as a memorandum for record. You will want to make notes of each phone call you make: 1. The date and time of the call. 2. Who you spoke with 3. Short notation of what was said during that call.

Include every call you make even if the call is to just leave a message for a return call. You will want to keep a record of if they called you back or not.

Keep a hardcopy of each and every single letter you write and create a file. We can easily lose things that are on computers or flashdrives. If you have to move up the chain of command (local LE to State LE to Mayor to Congressman----etc.) you will want to include a copy of all the letters you have written with those letters you write to the LE or the Government officials.

It's been 49 years. I was born the year that your Grandfather was murdered. The actual individuals that murdered your Grandfather are more than likely deceased themselves or are elderly at this time.

Although, at one time there were men to fear in Newport, they are no longer there and their activities from 49 years ago are of no interest to anyone who works in organized crime at this time. What I'm trying to say is that although there was a branch of the mob that did work in Newport, not only are they gone, BUT they weren't from the huge "families" that we always hear about. They were small town crooks. JMHO.

Let us know how this goes for you, good luck, and justice for your grandfather.

Several years ago, I started by pulling the newspaper articles that covered his disappearance. I learned that it was the Newport PD that initially investigated it, and then that the family had called in for State Police help. I started by going to the NPD, and although the officer I spoke with said that he considered it a still open and unsolved case, there were no files to look at. With that, he directed me to a news reporter who did some digging, and published an article in the Ky Post April 24, 2004. I then contacted the State Police. I went to Frankfort personally. They said they had to look in their Cold Case files. Several weeks went by, and I received a letter that stated that they could not find any such file on my grandfather. Although I had the name of the officer who investigated it, when contacted, he said he couldn't remember the case. I found him to be aloof and uncaring. With all that said, I suppose the next thing for me to do, is to see if I can track down some of the people from the day that I know are still around. I would like to keep in touch with you, however I don't feel comfortable leaving an email address on here. I will see what I can do, maybe a yahoo account or something, and be in touch soon. Thank you for you ideas. I will mull them over, and please say a prayer for our family that time hasn't run out, and someone who does know something, will speak up. I know that the men who did this are prob. dead, but more than one knew of it. With that said, thanks again. Be in touch soon.

April 3rd will mark 50 years since George Hawkins went missing. Looking forward to seeing any "anniversary" articles and to hear any updates.

Published on May 23, 2017
NEWPORT, Ky. (WKRC) - There is still an unsolved mystery from Newport’s days as a mob-controlled “Sin City” with gambling and prostitution.

Constable George Hawkins vanished in 1961. His daughters are still afraid to talk about their father's disappearance, but there is little question the Newport mob had George Hawkins killed.

However, the mystery could soon be solved.

The exhumation of Esttella Hawkins from the Persimmon Grove Baptist Church cemetery in Campbell County is to get her DNA, all to find out if a certain skull with a head wound belongs to her son, George.

The skull was found along the Ohio River in Carroll County in 1980.

"If you look at the roundness of the eyes… mouth structure… there is a likeness,” said Detective Endre Samu of Kentucky State Police Post 5.

A likeness to George Hawkins if compared to a facial reconstruction built over the skull.

George was an elected Newport constable who disappeared after an appointment with his attorney in 1961.

"The last person was Charlie Lester, George’s attorney for an IRS audit,” said Marvin Record of the Newport Historical Society.

Lester was also the attorney for organized crime leaders in Newport, linked to the Cleveland syndicate.

"Aren't many people who disappear off the face of the earth,” said Record.

But George Hawkins seemingly did.

Some in Newport said there was a hit on the so-called “egg man,” Hawkins' nickname for his shakedown of gambling joints.

He owned a market in Persimmon Grove, where farmers brought eggs.

He sold them for a $100 apiece to gambling and strip clubs, then the price went up to $500 apiece.

Remember, a constable has police powers. Sometimes that meant something to the tune of: "I’m a county constable, I won't come in as long as you pay me this… I’ll turn the other way if I see something illegal"

Four days after Hawkins disappeared, his Plymouth station wagon was found parked at the river's edge in Dayton, Kentucky. The key was still in the ignition.

When they found his car, it had been sanitized to the point no trash no chewing gum wrapper scrubbed down by river water.

If things are unraveling and they had to take care of “loose ends…” was George Hawkins a loose end? Was he one of the people gave info to the IRS?

Things were unraveling. Attorney General Bobby Kennedy called out Newport to show the evils of gambling.

There were IRS audits and several lawmen faced indictment.

George Ratterman was campaigning for sheriff on a promise to drive out vice.

Hawkins disappeared the day before hundreds of people gathered at the library in support of Ratterman.

Then Ratterman, the married former football star, became the center of sin city's most sensational scandal.

He was drugged, stripped naked and put in bed with stripper, April Flowers, to derail his campaign. It didn't work.

Ratterman's arrest became the talk of the town, not George Hawkins disappearance, but there was talk about what happened to him.

"He ended up wearing a ‘Newport nightgown,’” said Detective Samu, who explains that the “nightgown” is made of concrete.

That means they encased him in cement, or they put him totally encased in a new construction zone.

Years later, Hawkins' chief deputy gave George’s wife his masonic ring and his watch. He said he got it from Lester.

There was never a police investigation. The only case file on Hawkins is the one on Detective Samu's desk. He believes the egg selling scheme is what George did to support his family. He didn't live lavishly, wasn't indicted, so Samu chooses to see the good side.

"George was a constable… should be remembered with dignity,” said Detective Samu.

If the skull is George’s, his family will know for certain he was killed.

It won't tell them who or why, but one chapter in sin city's history will have to be rewritten.

If the DNA matches George, it will be added to his information in NAMUS, the database of the missing and unidentified. It is available to police and the public.--WKRC Local 12

Bump. Very hot case right now considering the recent discoveries. I hope that the remains are identified...then that should provide more answers and perhaps even more questions.

My great grandmothers remains were tested and the John Doe that had been found, were determined not to be his. My mother and aunt have submitted their DNA to be held with NAMUS for further testing if any other remains are found.

My great grandmothers remains were tested and the John Doe that had been found, were determined not to be his. My mother and aunt have submitted their DNA to be held with NAMUS for further testing if any other remains are found.

What? Seriously? The reconstruction and the photo of Constable Hawkins was super uncanny! I hope whoever this John Doe May be, I hope he’s one day identified.

Missing 3 April 1961
GeorgeHawkins.jpg
GeorgeHawkins1.jpg

George William Hawkins

Name: George William Hawkins
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 3, 1961
Location Last Seen: Newport, Campbell County, Kentucky

Physical Description
Date of Birth: August 18, 1914
Race: White
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 190-195 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Had a childhood injury/illness that left him with one leg an inch shorter than the other. He wore one built-up shoe to compensate for the difference in the length of his leg bones.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available; Full upper and lower dentures
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dark blue trousers, with red and black flannel shirt under a dark blue jacket with yellow lining and a blue gray hat.
Jewelry: Yellow gold masonic ring with emblem, and yellow-gold watch with leather band.
Additional Personal Items: Dark-rimmed glasses.

Circumstances of Disappearance
George Hawkins was last seen on April 3, 1961 in Newport, Kentucky, though he was a resident of Persimmon Grove, in southern Campbell County. Hawkins was a Kentucky peace officer, and along with his job as a lawman also ran a small general store. On the morning he disappeared, he fixed his oldest daughter breakfast before seeing her off to work. He then left in his tan 1959 station wagon. Hawkins called home around 1 PM, telling his family that he stopped by his attorney's office but was on his way home. Nothing in his voice suggested any problems. The two had met about Hawkins' upcoming Internal Revenue Service tax audit. As far as Hawkins family knows, the attorney was the last man to see George Hawkins.

On April 7, Dayton police found Hawkins' two-tone Plymouth station wagon parked at the river's edge with a half-tank of gas and the key still in the ignition. The only thing found inside the car was muddy water. The car appeared to have been rinsed out with the muddy water and wiped down with a muddy rag. His disappearance is believed to be related to the world of organized crime.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Kentucky State Police
Agency Contact Person: Detective Endre Samu
Agency Phone Number: 502-532-6363
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 05-80-0920

NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: 3003

Information Source(s)
The Doe Network

NamUs
Nampn
The Cincinnati Post

A flyer that I just did for this case a few days ago. If anyone is in the Newport area, please print some of them and distribute them around the area as well as share on social media. Someone somewhere knows something.

Attachments

• MISSING - Hawkins.jpg
    MISSING - Hawkins.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members