KY KY - Glasgow, Barren River Lake, OtherFem 2-3, UP100, In Suitcase on Lake Shore, Dec'd Several Months, Aug'89

Well, Doe Network has Aug. 8 or Aug. 20. :confused:

I’ve always wondered about this (which is not listed on each site...eta: but is on Doe Network). Could it have anything to do with the discrepancy? Maybe Aug. 8th is significant just not in terms of when the suitcase was found? o_O
“Kentucky State Police received three calls from someone claiming to be an attorney who asked that immunity be granted to a woman who had information about the child. After those calls, no more were received.”

Took me a minute...:oops:

Date of discovery and not date of death is what you meant. Obviously. I was counting on my fingers for a little bit before I realized that :p

I agree...I wonder why it’s listed as being so much earlier??

COLD CASE: Kentucky State Police still looking for leads in a 1989 case
View attachment 229101
Oops. Yeah, they're pretty close. I should've specified. I tend to abbreviate a lot, so that happens sometimes.

Well, Doe Network has Aug. 8 or Aug. 20. :confused:

I’ve always wondered about this (which is not listed on each site...eta: but is on Doe Network). Could it have anything to do with the discrepancy? Maybe Aug. 8th is significant just not in terms of when the suitcase was found? o_O

Possibly. Maybe the date of significant events in this case got all tangled up, leading to this discrepancy? It seems like an odd one to make, as 8 and 20 are not nice clean numbers that can be easily confused or mistyped.

Oops. Yeah, they're pretty close. I should've specified. I tend to abbreviate a lot, so that happens sometimes.

Possibly. Maybe the date of significant events in this case got all tangled up, leading to this discrepancy? It seems like an odd one to make, as 8 and 20 are not nice clean numbers that can be easily confused or mistyped.
I know. Which makes me more curious about it. I haven’t spent a lot of time with our babies, but I’ve not seen anything more elaborate about those calls... o_O

It may be a long shot, but this poor child has to be someone...

Kelly Junior Hollan
F1561D61-133A-49EF-BF1E-13E1A6F375FB.jpeg 48B6E3E9-857A-485E-86FC-A574F34382D6.jpeg
Missing from Hindman, Kentucky since February 1982
- 6 years old
- 4’0”, 60 pounds, brown hair, blue eyes
- He was born with a cleft palate and his teeth have gaps between them
- His case was first classified as an “Endangered Missing” but later as a “Possible Abduction”. Rightly so if you ask me. There’s more detail about his disappearance on his Charley Project page than on The Doe Network...

His DNA is available but not his dentals and unfortunately our Doe has insufficient DNA for profiling but dental charting availing for comparison. The UID’s primary teeth were still present. After finding Kelly’s MP Page I decided to read into what that meant. If I’m understanding correctly, the primary teeth start growing in from 6 months to about 6-7 years. On average, within the first 3 years. Those then shed allowing for the permanent teeth to start coming in around 6-7 years. In that case, Kelly would most likely have still had his primary teeth - which is what our Doe had.

I got to looking at the PMI listed for the UID and then the newspaper articles. The bones had to be tested in order to determine if they were even human and the sex is still undetermined. Height can’t be determined. Is it possible the remains were there longer than a year? What else would distinguish a 3 year old from a (barely) 6 year old? Kelly isn’t listed as being biracial either.

I compared the photos of Kelly with the recons of the UID, I see some resemblance. JMO I’ve not done much comparing when it comes to cases of children.

DF222883-25DF-44BC-9949-32D30A27EBF7.png
Primary Dentition
Permanent Dentition

ETA: additional info about Kelly

Attachments

• BDD231EC-69C8-49F8-8545-2470A2124B9E.jpeg
    BDD231EC-69C8-49F8-8545-2470A2124B9E.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
(? for ME) anything more conclusive on the sex of the child?

What a sad case. So I assume the time spent submerged made it impossible (at least with the technology they used) to get enough DNA to even tell male or female? So maddening! (With regards to whomever hurt this child.)

I still believe this is Cherie Barnes, but sadly, it doesn't look like there's any way to prove it.

Cherie Barnes was identified in 1994. Her body was discovered on February 4th, 1987 in the Mississippi River.

**Read incorrect information my apologies**

Last edited:
Regarding the date the remains were found, this article from 2019 states that they were found on August 22nd. Pretty weird abs frustrating that there is now three possible dates listed for the discovery of the remains.

What happened to Baby Jane Doe, police continue to investigate 30-year-old cold case - News 40 | WNKY Television

Direct quote located in the article from Kentucky State Police Detective Milam, “It is believed that we have a three-year-old female, bi-racial caucasian/African American race, around three years of age. And we think that the remains were in the suitcase for about six to eight months before they were actually found.”

Here is a link to a map of the lake and Skaggs Creek where the suitcase was found (see red "blob" which marks the spot).

Google Maps

This area is not in the direct path of the river bed (Barren River) and it is just a few hundred yards from the Barren River Dam. The river bed is just below the Skaggs Creek mark and you can see the bends in the river. Navigation in and around this section is pretty much houseboats, runabouts and an occasional john boat for fishing. Foot access to the Skaggs Creek area is pretty good and is much the same as it was in 1989.

It would be odd if the suitcase was dumped into the main body of water from somewhere above the point of where her body was found since it would have most likely been carried down river directly to the dam. To me, the location suggests someone dropped the suitcase from a shore somewhere along the inlets and outlets of this region. Even in 1989 there was a good deal of boat traffic throughout this area of water.

If the child was dumped from the edge of the water from dry land it seems it had to be by someone at least generally familiar with the region. It also could have been dumped from a boat.

Although the map doesn't show this, this area is very close to Interstate 65, running north and south.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back