Found Deceased KY - Kandi Green Gonzalez 36, scared, called mom, jumped in creek, Prestonsburg, 1 Jun 2021 *Reward*

Rest peacefully, Kandi.

JUN 28, 2023
Floyd County Coroner Greg Nelson confirmed with WYMT that the remains of Kandi Green Gonzales was found.

Gonzales had been missing since June 1, 2021.

Nelson said her remains was found neat the Left Fork of Abbott Community just outside of Prestonsburg.

[...]

More information.

JUN 28, 2023
[...]

When contacted, Nelson was not with his files and he could not provide an exact date, but he said some time back, loggers discovered a bone on the Left Fork of Abbott, across a mountain from the location where Gonzalez was last seen alive on Abbott Creek on June 1, 2021. A search of the area turned up more remains.

DNA and other tests were performed on the remains and they have now been confirmed to belong to Gonzalez.

Nelson said the condition of the remains is consistent with her death having occurred shortly after her disappearance.

That also means that attempts to establish a cause of death have been inconclusive.

Glad she's been found. Two years was a long time to wait, her poor Mom.

So she was found near the area she was last seen?
When contacted, Nelson was not with his files and he could not provide an exact date, but he said some time back, loggers discovered a bone on the Left Fork of Abbott, across a mountain from the location where Gonzalez was last seen alive on Abbott Creek on June 1, 2021. A search of the area turned up more remains.
Such an unclear statement by the coroner, but if she was truly found 'across a mountain' it seems like it can't be too close?

Such an unclear statement by the coroner, but if she was truly found 'across a mountain' it seems like it can't be too close?
That's what I was thinking as well. I haven't had time to dig back to see where she was found and last seen running. It's so sad that there might not be complete closure as to what happened.

That's what I was thinking as well. I haven't had time to dig back to see where she was found and last seen running. It's so sad that there might not be complete closure as to what happened.
But for all we know the creek runs through a valley and she's just been found downstream. I'd love some clarity on this because the circumstances seemed pretty cut and dried.

I don't understand these statements in the article above - her cousin says she found the remains in May of 2022:

"Cline said that she was the person who found the remains on May 12, 2022, and the family has been awaiting the DNA results."

but the KSP says they found the remains in April of 2022?

"KSP said the remains were found by the Pikeville Post on April 27, 2022, and said that the cause of death is unknown. The Pikeville Post is conducting an ongoing death investigation."

Were the remains scattered, and that's why the different dates? Was the cousin informed of the April findings and then went to the area to search again?

RIP Kandi. Her obituary:

Obituary​

Kandi Maria Gonzalez, 38, passed away in Prestonsburg, Kentucky. Kandi was the daughter of David Curtis Dixon and Betty Jo Dixon. She was born in the Paul B. Hall Medical Center in Paintsville on December 17, 1984. Left to cherish her memory are her parents, David and Betty; son, Hendrix Cooper Gonzalez; brothers, David Dixon, and Adam Green (Sandra); sister, Sue Abbott (Robert); as well as the father of her child, Ricky Gonzalez. Services will be held at 1:00 PM, Saturday, July 8, at Betts & West Funeral Home with Pastor Jonathan Stidham officiating. Visitation will be from 11:00 AM until the time of service, Saturday, at the funeral home. A private burial will be held at Bluegrass Memorial Gardens. Betts & West is honored to serve Kandi and her family in their time of need. An online guestbook is available at www.BettsAndWestFuneralHome.com

I found a little more info re my post above - this article says a logger (doesn't mention KSP) found a skull, then the niece also found remains nearby (per Mom):

"Dixon said it was her niece that found the bones in the woods last year after a logger had found a nearby skull.

“She didn't know at the time that it was Kandi — she just saw something white and just started pulling it out of the ground and she comes away with teeth in her hand,” Dixon said."

For those of you not from eastern KY: the area has generally low population densities, and few towns of any size. Sections of a county are often identified by the creek that drains the area. So, saying that she was found "near Abbott's Creek" might mean that her remains were next to the stream, or they might have been much further away.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick
Back