KY KY - Kathy, 48, & Samantha Netherland, 16, Botland, 21 April 2014

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Tulessa, Apr 25, 2014.

1. jULIA_bEE

jULIA_bEE Well-Known Member

As far as I know, they look into every tip they've received. Unfortunately, nothing new or unknown to the public was released today.

2. jULIA_bEE

This should be a link to an interview that Kathy Netherland’s sisters recently did.

3. steeltowngirl

steeltowngirl Well-Known Member

Remembering Kathy and Samantha today. Praying there will one day be justice for these ladies.

Have a peaceful holiday everyone.

thistle, jULIA_bEE, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  4. karenky

karenky Well-Known Member

5. Muy Curioso

Muy Curioso Member

I can´t watch the video from outside USA. Can someone make a good summary of it? Thanks.

Nothing, sorry.

steeltowngirl likes this.
  6. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

Basically:

Mr Houghlin is a funeral home owner/director/embalmer, and is also the Nelson County coroner.

Mom was shot multiple times. Samantha was bludgeoned with some type of object on/about the head. Both victims throats were slit. There was no evidence of sexual assault to either victim. Mr Houghlin adds that he heard there was no forced entry to the home.

7. jULIA_bEE

8. steeltowngirl

mom2chloe and jULIA_bEE like this.
  9. jULIA_bEE

I’m not sure. I do know that Kathy cared for him that summer he passed away but idk if he had hospice or anyone else in and out. That’s a really interesting point.

steeltowngirl and mom2chloe like this.
  10. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

I have often wondered if these murders were committed by someone looking for opioids. Although it has been decades since I experienced the loss of someone at home who was in hospice care (thankfully) I recall that when the coroner came, all pain medication was accounted for and confiscated. I have no idea what the protocol is now but would assume it’s even more stringent. I can’t explain the trauma and torture these ladies endured without thinking it must be drug related.
    @jULIA_bEE what do you make of the other man who suffered a similar torture years before as revealed in the oxygen bonus? Mr. Duckett I believe. Tied to a chair in his bathroom and tortured. IMO perhaps that perp was also looking for drugs. TIA.

11. steeltowngirl

I believe the best of most agencies, but they may have had a bad seed that was later fired, or there was an unsavory character that lived with an unsuspecting caregiver, or had acquired a key at some point. Yes, opioid abuse has lead even good people to very dark places.

Also, it’s been said that Samantha bore the most brutal wounds, and was maybe the target. I tend to think that the killers were using Samantha’s pain to elicit something from Kathy. Of course, we know so little about the scene, so I’m simply tossing ideas around.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    jULIA_bEE and mom2chloe like this.
  12. jULIA_bEE

I still think the Netherland's were completely separate from the incidents in the county, prior or since. I forgot all about Jim Duckett. He was actually living in Shelby Co at the time, which is about the same size as Nelson Co. and right outside of Louisville. They just recently came up on his 10 year anniversary and his sister still thinks it was some type of revenge, but I agree, I think it could have easily had to have been drug related. The Netherland's are the saddest to me because I really don't understand why anyone felt the need to brutally murder a mother and daughter. From all outside appearances, they seemed like a pretty quiet family and seemingly normal. I don't get it...

13. jULIA_bEE

Opioid abuse is especially bad in this state. After reading a ton of articles and comments in the past few years, I don't think anyone had ever brought up what you brought up. It's refreshing to see something that hasn't been thought of yet.

TedMac, steeltowngirl and mom2chloe like this.
  14. jULIA_bEE

mom2chloe, TedMac and Suglo like this.
  15. steeltowngirl

mom2chloe, karenky and TedMac like this.
  16. jULIA_bEE

I think I know what you’re referring to...i read something that stood out to me too. It was the part about KSP telling the family something different than what was reported on the oxygen series.

mom2chloe, steeltowngirl and karenky like this.
  17. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why we can’t discuss something in an MSM article. ?

Suglo likes this.
  18. jULIA_bEE

I think she’s trying to avoid sleuthing someone who isn’t a POI.

19. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Well-Known Member

Ok, well what about the article is different from the Oxygen series? I don't have cable - didn't see it.

20. jULIA_bEE

It’s actually mentioned in the article. The sister says something about the interview done in the docuseries being different from what KSP has told them, personally.

Kyshoegal likes this.