GUILTY KY - Laynee Wallace, 2, Summer Shade, 17 May 2015

I'm so disgusted. Justice was not served. Five years for murder of a little child? You probably get more time for a drunk driver accident. Believe me, no one in the area is happy about this. When he gets out, he better stay away from here. I figure his safety will be in jeopardy. And no one will care. I wont repeat anything I have heard, but many are furious that he seems to basically be getting away with this. No justice for that poor little girl.

Must be the same jurors that let Casey Anthony walk away free. Looks like maybe they toughened up just a wee bit though, 5 years is better than nothing. Looks as if a bunch of them bought into the outrageous theatrics his attorney pulled in court. You can read all about them here: http://www.wbko.com/content/news/Jury-deliberating-Anthony-Barbour-murder-case-406844425.html

This always seems to be the end result when you have a jury pool made up of people who don't watch t.v., don't read the paper, don't listen to the radio, and don't keep up on current events. Basically, a group of people who have no idea what is going on around them and don't really care to. I'll let you come up with other fitting adjectives...............

Judge concurs that Barbour will get 5 years in toddler's death

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/judge-concurs-that-barbour-will-get-years-in-toddler-s/article_198df0a9-913a-566a-b9f5-d047a4551abd.html

Anthony Barbour was sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison in connection with the death of 2-year-old Laynee Wallace, bringing an end to a case that included the discovery of the toddler's body in a well, a search by police for Barbour that lasted nearly a week and accusations at the subsequent trial that Laynee's mother actually caused the child's death.

Barbour, 26, of Summer Shade, was charged at first with murder, tampering with physical evidence and abuse of a corpse in connection with Laynee's death in 2015, and faced at least 20 years in prison if he had been convicted as charged.

A jury found Barbour guilty of the lesser offense of reckless homicide after a trial in December in Barren Circuit Court, while also convicting him of the tampering and corpse abuse charges.

The jury recommended a five-year sentence on both the reckless homicide and tampering charges for Barbour and that he serve the two sentences concurrently, and Barren Circuit Judge John Alexander followed the jury's recommendation.

"I respect what the jury did in this case," Alexander said when pronouncing the sentence. "They listened to between six and seven days of testimony in addition to listening to the opening and closing statements and reviewing close to 100 exhibits."

After Tuesday's hearing, Gardner said that any effort to charge or prosecute Wallace would be based on Barbour's trial testimony that the offenses occurred in the Monroe County home that he shared with Wallace, which is out of Gardner's jurisdiction.

Gardner said his office requested Barbour to make a statement before trial while subject to a polygraph, but that Barbour invoked his right to remain silent.

"Any decision to charge the mother would not be my decision to make," Gardner said.

Barbour will return to court on March 13 for a pretrial conference in the case in which he is charged with first-degree burglary, kidnapping and resisting arrest.

The case stems from allegations that he broke into a residence belonging to Brenda Wood with a rifle, waited for her to return and then forced her to drive him to an unknown location, when he was arrested on May 25, 2015 by a KSP trooper who was aware that Barbour was a suspect in Laynee's death.

Before being sentenced last month for the separate case, he was denied parole.

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/news/barbour-denied-parole-on-homicide-case/article_633ca756-257c-11e7-a02a-63677c7aaa84.html

Anthony Dale Barbour has been denied parole for the five-year sentence he received after his December trial relating to the May 2015 death of 2-year-old Laynee Mae Wallace, and now he has entered a plea arrangement that adds another five-year sentence for other charges.

In the case already tried, he was charged with murder, abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence. The jury opted to convict him on a lesser charge of reckless homicide instead of murder, and it also found him guilty on the other two charges. The Barren County jury recommended sentences of five years, five years and one year, respectively, and Circuit Judge John T. Alexander made that the final sentence in January.

Because Barbour had been in jail since his arrest in May 2015, he was credited with having served 616 days, more than enough to be immediately eligible for a parole review after his conviction, but his attorney, Ken Garrett, and Commonwealth’s Attorney John Gardner said he was denied parole and would be required to serve the full sentence, minus any credits given to him by the Kentucky Department of Corrections. Garrett said those credits could be for such things as good behavior or completion of certain kinds of programs, such as one for substance abuse problems, just as examples.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back