Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
When she went missing, we had weather that wasn’t too bad. I’d have to go back and look, but I think the temp stayed around the 50s. The extremely cold weather came in the following weeks. If he buried her within days, the ground shouldn’t have been frozen yet.

I wonder if it was already dirt in the area he dug the grave in - meaning it would be mud in January. Easier to dig through and very easy to disguise any disturbance.

I wonder if it was already dirt in the area he dug the grave in - meaning it would be mud in January. Easier to dig through and very easy to disguise any disturbance.

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t think they’ve specifically said where she was buried on the property. I think it was near the shed but I haven’t seen what it looks like around it.

Savannah was found about 10 miles from where I live. DS went to school with my daughter, although he was a couple years behind her and she doesn't really remember him (but they do have mutual friends and acquaintances) Until today's hearing and new information, I kept thinking accidental OD or something because things like this very rarely happen around here. Lancaster is a very small town, Garrard county is very rural. I am just so saddened that Savannah had to go through whatever happened to her.

When CCSAR came down with the dogs and searched, it was brutally cold. They actually had to stop the dogs from searching for at least one of the days because they were worried that the cold air would mess their noses up. They came when we had below zero windchills. The wind was so cold that it hurt to be outside in. Idk if maybe the cold air made it harder to detect her, or if maybe she hadn’t been moved yet...or maybe they just made a mistake.
I remember upthread someone posted she disappeared on the coldest day of the year and was found on the warmest? that stuck with me. We know he spent time at the parents property on both the 4th and 5th - perhaps he dug on the 4th and once he secured the new rug - moved her on the 5th? How do you get blood inside a closet unless he put her there after the two friends left? Her phone was off at 8:30am - according to MSM posted already - so when do you all think he killed her? I do not believe it was an accident - I think it was a violent death - and where are her clothes? JMO

ETA link to timeline
Savannah Spurlock Case: What to Know About Kentucky Mom Found Dead After Leaving Bar With 3 Men

Wow so the low temps weren’t even freezing at the point of her death so now I’m kind of thinking he did indeed bury her there right away and she froze in the ground soon after with those crazy temperatures seen soon after. Even with good temps in spring it takes a long time for things underground to defrost, especially something like a body which is mostly water. I’m thinking that it took a long time for her remains to give off an odor, at least detectable to humans. If no one used the shed often I could see it taking awhile to notice.
I also personally smell death almost daily, my yard has mice, squirrels, rabbits and birds so I almost don’t even give it a second thought anymore...

I remember upthread someone posted she disappeared on the coldest day of the year and was found on the warmest? that stuck with me. We know he spent time at the parents property on both the 4th and 5th - perhaps he dug on the 4th and once he secured the new rug - moved her on the 5th? How do you get blood inside a closet unless he put her there after the two friends left? Her phone was off at 8:30am - according to MSM posted already - so when do you all think he killed her? I do not believe it was an accident - I think it was a violent death - and where are her clothes? JMO

ETA link to timeline
Savannah Spurlock Case: What to Know About Kentucky Mom Found Dead After Leaving Bar With 3 Men

I don’t know why people kept saying she disappeared on the coldest day because it definitely wasn’t. It was hoodie weather. It got really cold when CCSAR started searching for her. She may have been found on the hottest day though. It’s been really hot the past couple weeks.

Surely the dogs would have picked her scent up if she was buried there early on. There is no way they wouldn't have especially if it was shallow.
If she had already frozen at the time, and in plastic bags, and the handler did not guide the dog right to that exact spot... we’ve seen it before. So many variables
Also 19 inches deep was way deeper than I was expecting...

Wow so the low temps weren’t even freezing at the point of her death so now I’m kind of thinking he did indeed bury her there right away and she froze in the ground soon after with those crazy temperatures seen soon after. Even with good temps in spring it takes a long time for things underground to defrost, especially something like a body which is mostly water. I’m thinking that it took a long time for her remains to give off an odor, at least detectable to humans. If no one used the shed often I could see it taking awhile to notice.
I also personally smell death almost daily, my yard has mice, squirrels, rabbits and birds so I almost don’t even give it a second thought anymore...

I do think she probably frozen if she was buried shortly after. It was a pretty cold winter. We’ve had a whole lot of rain though. There was flooding in that area either right before spring or shortly after. Up until last week or the week before, we went 52 weeks without seeing a fully dry week. It’s also been hot and humid for a few months now. Typically, a body starts smelling after a couple of days, and gets increasingly worse.

Forgot about that Julia. Below zero windchill in winter.

It was miserable. It literally hurt to walk outside. There was another girl who had gone missing in the Richmond area not long after Savannah. She had taken off on foot and the temperatures dropped real low and she had succumbed to hypothermia and was found frozen :(

Thanks for this!
Being in Minnesota I hear January and think “frozen solid” but clearly not the case in KY
32° Fahrenheit
When the temperature of the ground drops below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit), it freezes. However, the ground temperature can be different from the temperature of the air above it. Layers deep within the ground may be colder or warmer than layers near the surface of the ground.
How Does Frozen Ground Form? | National Snow and Ice Data Center

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/frozenground/how_fg_forms.html

When CCSAR came down with the dogs and searched, it was brutally cold. They actually had to stop the dogs from searching for at least one of the days because they were worried that the cold air would mess their noses up. They came when we had below zero windchills. The wind was so cold that it hurt to be outside in. Idk if maybe the cold air made it harder to detect her, or if maybe she hadn’t been moved yet...or maybe they just made a mistake.
Thanks, Julia, for posting that. I looked but for some reason couldn't find the temperatures for that month.
It makes sense that the ground would not be frozen yet, since it takes many days of freezing temperatures before it starts to freeze. Same for thawing out in the Spring.
So after that, there were probably not many days with above freezing temperatures for a couple of months.
I did find average temperatures for April and May, and it seems it still gets very cold there at night.
So it actually makes sense that although very slow, the decomposition process would resume once the temperatures got warmer.
At least this guy was dumb enough to make sure it would be easier for the pathologist to determine exactly what happened to her, depending on the condition of the body. Imo

Here are ground/soil temps for January 5th 2019 for Boyle county(There was no info for Garrard County but Boyle is the next county over
View attachment 193539

Kentucky Mesonet
32° Fahrenheit
When the temperature of the ground drops below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit), it freezes. However, the ground temperature can be different from the temperature of the air above it. Layers deep within the ground may be colder or warmer than layers near the surface of the ground.
How Does Frozen Ground Form? | National Snow and Ice Data Center

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/frozenground/how_fg_forms.html

Here are ground/soil temps for January 5th 2019 for Boyle county(There was no info for Garrard County but Boyle is the next county over
View attachment 193539

Kentucky Mesonet
Thank you - this one thing has nagged at me and now I can see why he could have dug the grave - poor girl. I'm betting they also traced the trash bags back to him - I truly hope there is a COD - JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member