GUILTY KY - Sen. Rand Paul, Mowing Lawn, Attacked By Neighbor, Nov 2017

The bar is so low. Hard to say how low it will go. I was astounded when making fun of a person with cerebral palsy was accepted. And now having distinguished vets who saved the world stand looking at a portrait of a man who made horse reins out of Indian skin defies all sensibilities to me.

I don’t know how much lower we will go
Well, a good place to start is putting the bar at a physical attack.

Yes, words matter, and I absolutely agree with you on the above, but in my mind there's a world of difference between an insult and a physical attack. And JMHO, but conflating the two is part of what has led to the extreme viciousness we're seeing today. Jeez, people get more upset about microaggressions than shootings.

Again, not saying words don't matter, they absolutely do, and insults shouldn't be tolerated, and people should be aware of microaggressions... but those things just don't rise to the same level. We have laws against physical aggression, for words we have free speech and public opinion and pressure.

Again, I apologize, this isn't the place for all that.

And, of course, I'm old and was taught in kindergarten about sticks and stones, and there was a clear and widely recognized line between physical and verbal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well, a good place to start is putting the bar at a physical attack.

Yes, words matter, and I absolutely agree with you on the above, but in my mind there's a world of difference between an insult and a physical attack. And JMHO, but conflating the two is part of what has led to the extreme viciousness we're seeing today. Jeez, people get more upset about microaggressions than shootings.

Again, not saying words don't matter, they absolutely do, and insults shouldn't be tolerated, and people should be aware of microaggressions... but those things just don't rise to the same level. We have laws against physical aggression, for words we have free speech and public opinion and pressure.

Again, I apologize, this isn't the place for all that.

And, of course, I'm old and was taught in kindergarten about sticks and stones, and there was a clear and widely recognized line between physical and verbal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is not about the words. It is about accepting the making fun of people by the highest office in the land. One that is visible to children and the world.

Certainly everyone has seen on WS the suicides of children because of words.

Court documents give new details about the yard dispute that left Rand Paul with 6 broken ribs

The neighbor who tackled Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul in November was infuriated by the lawmaker’s habit of stacking lawn debris near the line between their two properties.

Rene Boucher, a 60-year-old retired doctor, pleaded guilty in March to one count of assaulting a member of Congress and is expected to be sentenced this Friday. Federal prosecutors have requested a 21-month prison sentence; Boucher’s attorneys have asked the court to consider probation.

Paul's lawyers want his political views excluded from trial
Paul’s lawyers want his political views excluded from trial
January 18, 2019
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul never shies away from speaking his mind, but his attorneys are asking a Kentucky judge to make the Republican lawmaker’s political beliefs off-limits at his upcoming trial against the neighbor who tackled him while he was doing yard work at his home.

That’s fine with the neighbor’s attorney, who’s pushing back against a second request from Paul’s team: to also refrain from talk of the senator’s lawn-maintenance habits.

Paul suffered multiple broken ribs in the 2017 attack, and the neighbor, Rene Boucher, pleaded guilty to assaulting a member of Congress. Paul sued Boucher, and a jury trial set for Jan. 28 in Bowling Green, Kentucky, will determine the amount of damages the senator can receive.
[...]
Paul is seeking up to $500,000 in compensatory damages and up to $1 million in punitive damages in his lawsuit.
[...]
Boucher was sentenced to 30 days in prison for the attack. Federal prosecutors are appealing the sentence, saying 21 months would have been appropriate.

Trial between Paul, Boucher set to begin this week
January 26, 2019
A jury will be seated this week to determine what damages U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is entitled to as a result of being tackled by his neighbor, Rene Boucher.

Two weeks have been set aside for the civil trial that will begin Monday with jury selection in Warren Circuit Court.
[...]

Sen. Rand Paul Scheduled to Have Hernia Surgery in Canada
  • Jan. 14, 2019
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — U.S. Sen. Rand Paul plans to undergo hernia surgery at a private hospital in Canada because of injuries he suffered when a neighbor tackled him while he was doing yard work at his Kentucky home.

The Republican lawmaker is scheduled to cross the border for outpatient surgery scheduled sometime during the week of Jan. 21 at a hospital in Thornhill, Ontario, his attorneys said in a recent filing in Paul's lawsuit against Rene Boucher, who attacked Paul while the senator was doing yard work.
[...]
Paul is scheduled for surgery at Shouldice Hospital, which touts itself as a world leader in "non-mesh hernia repair."

"This is a private, world-renowned hospital separate from any system and people come from around the world to pay cash for their services," Paul spokeswoman Kelsey Cooper said in an email Monday.

In choosing Shouldice, Paul will receive care in a country that offers its citizens a publicly funded, universal health care system that runs counter to Paul's approach to American health care policy. Paul, who ran for president in 2016, touts private-market approaches for U.S. health care problems.

Paul's chief strategist, Doug Stafford, pointed to Shouldice Hospital's private status in pushing back against media reports about the senator going to Canada for treatment. "It's literally the opposite of socialized medicine," he tweeted.
[...]
Baker said that Boucher has made a $30,000 offer of judgment to Paul.

Rand Paul awarded more than $580,000 in trial after neighbor's attack
Rand Paul awarded more than $580,000 in trial after neighbor's attack
The Associated Press Updated 7:36 p.m. ET Jan. 30, 2019
U.S. Sen. Rand Paul was awarded more than $580,000 in damages and medical expenses on Wednesday in his lawsuit against the neighbor who tackled him and broke several of his ribs in a dispute over lawn maintenance.

A jury in Bowling Green, Kentucky, deliberated less than two hours before delivering the award to the Republican lawmaker who had been attacked while doing yard work at his Kentucky home.

Paul had testified during the three-day trial that he feared for his life as he struggled to breathe after Rene Boucher slammed into him in their upscale Bowling Green neighborhood in late 2017.

The jury awarded $375,000 in punitive damages and $200,000 for pain and suffering, plus $7,834 for medical expenses.
[...]

Day 2 of Rand Paul v. Rene Boucher trial, Boucher apologizes from the witness stand
Updated: Wed 1:44 PM, Jan 30, 2019
[...]
In the later half of the day Tuesday, Rene Boucher was called to testify. From the witness stand he made several apologies directed toward the Paul's.

"I was not thinking rationally. What I did was wrong, and I'm sorry I did it," said Boucher.

An apology that Paul's lawyer indicated was not sincere considering the counter lawsuit Boucher has filed against both Rand and Kelley Paul.

Boucher expressed that seeing Senator Paul continue the brush piles the day of November 3, 2017 is what set him off.

"He has a large pile of branches and sticks that have been next to a dead tree, and he was taking them from that pile and then bringing them over to the property line -- once again for the fourth time," said Boucher.

From the stand, a visibly distraught defendant, admitted his fault in the matter.

"I did this. No reason for me to make up a story," said Boucher. "My left shoulder hit his ribs and broke his ribs. For that, I'm very sorry."

Boucher described the attack as the biggest mistake of his life.

"It was an irrational thing I did and two minutes of my life I wish I could take back," said Boucher.

A mistake that Boucher says he believes he has paid for at 28 days at a Chicago federal prison.

"It was scary, and horrible might be another description. I was in with the Chicago gangs," said Boucher. "For the rest of my life, I'm a convicted felon"
[...]

Boucher attorney claims jury award excessive, asks for new trial
  • Feb 20, 2019
The attorney for Rene Boucher is challenging the $575,000 in damages a jury determined he must pay U.S. Sen. Rand Paul for tackling the lawmaker in his yard.

In a motion for a new trial filed Friday in Warren Circuit Court, attorney Matt Baker argues that the financial penalties levied against Boucher at the civil trial last month were excessive given the extent of the senator’s injuries and Boucher’s cooperation with authorities during the investigation into the 2017 incident at Rivergreen subdivision.

The 31-page filing also features a motion to vacate or amend the judgment against Boucher.
[...]
A hearing has been set March 20 to consider Baker’s motion, which details eight arguments supporting his request for a new trial.
[...]

https://www.wlky.com/article/new-trial-denied-for-rand-paul-attacker/26912097
New trial denied for Rand Paul attacker
Mar 22, 2019
The judge rejected the motion, saying the jury award was not excessive considering Boucher's conduct and Paul's injuries.

Rand Paul's $580,000 jury award upheld in Kentucky
Mar 22, 2019
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky judge has denied a request for a new trial from a man who a jury said should pay more than $580,000 to U.S. Sen. Rand Paul for injuries Paul suffered when he was tackled by the man.

Boucher appeals civil judgment, awaits decision on criminal penalty
  • Apr 6, 2019
The attorney for Rene Boucher has appealed the $582,834.82 award in his civil case against U.S. Sen. Rand Paul.

Matt Baker, representing the retired doctor, argues the damages a jury awarded in a civil trial earlier this year were excessive and raises other issues that he wants the Kentucky Court of Appeals to consider.
[...]
Baker vowed immediately after the trial to appeal the verdict, and last month he filed a notice of appeal and an accompanying statement outlining his challenges to the jury verdict.

Part of the filing focuses on a procedural error that Baker argues unfairly prejudiced the case against Boucher.
[...]
Baker argues that another error occurred during the trial when Gill did not instruct the jury to consider whether Paul provoked Boucher prior to the assault.

Testimony and filings have established that the attack had its roots in a dispute involving piles of yard trimmings and debris that the senator placed in his yard near the shared property line with Boucher.

Baker argues in his filing that Boucher’s defense turned on the argument that the senator placed the piles in his yard in response to Boucher trimming the limbs on a row of trees on Paul’s side of the property that had grown over onto Boucher’s side.

“The trash piles were being constructed by Paul in order to teach his neighbor a lesson. The proof was clear on this,” Baker said in his filing, adding that there was “more than ample evidence” of provocation on Paul’s part to warrant instructing the jury to consider that when determining its verdict.
[...]
While the civil case is headed to the state appeals court, the outcome of Boucher’s federal criminal case is pending in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.

Boucher served 30 days in a federal penitentiary after pleading guilty to assaulting a member of Congress.

Federal prosecutors, who called for Boucher to spend 21 months behind bars, have appealed the 30-day sentence, arguing that the punishment was too light relative to the circumstances of the offense.
[...]
The federal appeals court has not set a date to hear oral arguments.

Neighbor convicted of assaulting Rand Paul sells his home
June 12, 2019
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP) — The neighbor convicted of attacking U.S. Sen. Rand Paul has sold his home next door to the senator.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/neighbor-sells-house-to-pay-settlement-over-attack-to-sen/article_227cdee4-8d4d-11e9-b61b-4fa9c971787d.html
Neighbor sells house to pay settlement over attack to Sen. Rand Paul
Jun 12, 2019
Court documents show Rene Boucher sold his five-bedroom home in Bowling Green, Ky., which is next to Paul's.

Rene Boucher sells his home and still owes Rand Paul more than $100,000
Jun 12, 2019
Paul also won a civil verdict against Boucher for more than $582,000 in January. Court records in the civil case show Boucher sold his Bowling Green home in May and delivered the proceeds of the sale, about $482,000, to the court. The records say the money will be held in an account until the civil proceedings are resolved.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/news/boucher-sells-home-next-to-paul/article_7a537329-343d-5b02-9f45-a1090f4ae5e9.html
Boucher sells home next to Paul
Jun 14, 2019
Rene Boucher and U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, linked inextricably through the fallout from the retired physician’s assault on Paul as the lawmaker mowed his yard, no longer share a property line.

Court records from the ongoing civil suit between the two indicate Boucher sold his home in Rivergreen subdivision last month.
[...]
Proceeds from the sale, totaling $482,078.12, are to be placed ultimately in an account held by the Warren Circuit Clerk’s Office while the civil suit is pending in the Kentucky Court of Appeals.

Boucher has been ordered to place an additional $147,921.88 into the account by June 27.

Prosecutors Seeks Harsher Sentence for Rand Paul Attacker
July 31, 2019
CINCINNATI (CN) – Federal prosecutors argued before the Sixth Circuit on Wednesday to lengthen the prison sentence of the man who attacked U.S. Senator Rand Paul outside his Kentucky home two years ago.
[...]
Rene Boucher pleaded guilty to a felony count of assaulting a member of Congress and was sentenced to 30 days in prison in June 2018, even though the charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Prosecutors sought 21 months of jail time for Boucher, arguing Wednesday in the Sixth Circuit that the eventual sentence of one month was far too lenient.
[...]
No timetable has been set for the court’s decision.

From 2020:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article244514887.html

The neighbor who lost his temper and attacked Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul in 2017, breaking six of his ribs, has been sentenced to an additional 13 months confinement.

A federal judge initially sentenced Rene Boucher to 30 days in jail for the November 2017 attack, along with 100 hours of community service and a $10,000 fine.

During a video hearing, U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Leitman handed down the new sentence against Boucher — eight months in prison and six months on home confinement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back