KY KY - Williamstown, Grant Co, off KY 22 W of Dry Ridge, WhtMale 25-39, UP86, GSW, Hands Cut Off, In Tobacco Barn, Ext Dental Wk "Perfect Smile", Apr'89

vadersbabe

But never have I been a blue calm sea. I have alw
Reaction score
This is my first time doing this. I was on The Charley Project website and noticed their featured missing person of the week.... Terry Lee Westerfield who went missing with his brother in North Carolina in 1964. Here's his listing:

I searched all the John Does in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. I came across this listing on the doenetwork:

296UMKY
296UMKY1.jpg
Sketch

Reconstruction of the victim by Catyana Falsetti and Teresa Redman.
I know that Terry had red hair. Does that change with age? The composite photo of the doe is strikingly similar to the age progression of Terry on the Charley Project.

But I have doubts. Why didn't he just go home? What happened to his little brother?

I just thought I'd put it out there....

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of October 13, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
my biggest concern is the length of time between terry's disappearance and the death of the john doe.

I agree. That's why I was hesitant to post it. Of course, there could have been circumstances as to why he never returned home. Again, it was the resemblance between the two composites that struck a chord with me. :)

Certainly I see a facial resemblance but:

1. Doe had very good dentition; Terry didn't when he was a child and while he could have gotten it later on, it's likely that if he did survive into adulthood he would have had a troubled, and financially difficult time that would have made it unlikely;

2. The change in hair color - it might have changed but he was really very red so I think it's unlikely that it would be described as "brown" in adulthood;

3. When I was 11, I was not quite 5'0" tall; I am now 6'0". Doe was very tall at 6'5" and that would probably translate to a height of at least 5'1" at 11 - which is a height difference of 6" over Terry at that age and probably more in adulthood.

Wow Cymro! I never even thought about those factors. I have a lot to learn about this stuff! Those are very valid points and in my inexperience here, didn't even think about. I will leave the possible match threads to the more experienced posters until I have a better handle on all of the possibilities.

Thank you. :)

Hey Vadersbabe - keep trying! You've still got 19 posts on me and the two cases that I have posted have both had issues with things like eye color and, especially, tattoos.

:) Cymro. Well, at least we're trying, right? Experience will get us there. Have a great weekend!

I would submit it. The resemblance is just so striking. Regardless if John Doe is Terry or not well done Vadersbabe for looking for answers for this missing boy. :clap:

I agree - I would submit it. The boys have never been found, so who is to say what happened. The resemblance is strong.

Sometimes I think it is worth it to take a chance on some of these long shots, especially where the case has remained unsolved for many years. The stepfather could have actually sold the boys. Its been known to happen. Maybe even to different people. After reading through websleuths for awhile, you begin to see just how evil people can be and their thought patterns make no "normal" sense.

As for heights, especially in young/teenage kids, they can be very unpredictable. Some children start out on the shorter side of the yardstick and end up being the tallest kid in the senior and vice versa. My son was the tallest kid in the class until he hit his junior year. He is now only 5'11" which is not that tall, really. When he was 12, I figured he would be 7' tall :)

Anyway.... Kudos to both vadersbabe and Cymro! We appreciate all you do!

Salem

I think it was a good thing that you pointed out the resemblance too. I encourage others to do exactly what you did!

Sometimes I think it is worth it to take a chance on some of these long shots, especially where the case has remained unsolved for many years. The stepfather could have actually sold the boys. Its been known to happen. Maybe even to different people. After reading through websleuths for awhile, you begin to see just how evil people can be and their thought patterns make no "normal" sense.

As for heights, especially in young/teenage kids, they can be very unpredictable. Some children start out on the shorter side of the yardstick and end up being the tallest kid in the senior and vice versa. My son was the tallest kid in the class until he hit his junior year. He is now only 5'11" which is not that tall, really. When he was 12, I figured he would be 7' tall

Anyway.... Kudos to both vadersbabe and Cymro! We appreciate all you do!

I'll second that. :)

B.F.

There are two rule outs now but not Terry Westerfield. We know John Doe is not
Harvey Kays Kentucky
Jerry Plaster 1962 Virginia

Is Stephen Hafer a good potential match?
"Steven Hafer was last seen in late March 1989"
1831DMKY - Steven Allen Hafer

The police seemed to think he was buried near a river but never found a grave. The heights are off but I think the faces have some resemblance. Color of hair and eyes match. Victim had been dead around a week, closely matching the time of disappearance of Hafer.

Hafer info:

KY - HAFER, Steven - Namus 7016
1831DMKY - Steven Allen Hafer

On another thread we just discussed another kentucky UID found with hands cut off:

NamUs UP # 87

ME/C Case Number: ME-90-21
Daviess County, Kentucky
25 to 40 year old White Male

Date found January 07, 1990
Body conditions Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries
One or both hands not recovered

Looks like this guy got a recon!

image.jpeg<modsnip: broken link>

The owner of the barn says the victim had his fingers removed so investigators would not be able to identify him. But, the owner says he's hopeful that one day the murder will be solved.
"Hopefully, even if it takes another 20 years, they'll be caught and punished," said property owner Henry Curry.

Looks like this guy got a recon!

attachment.php

<modsnip: broken link>

Thanks for posting this. I saw the story and couldn't find the right thread to say anything about it for the life of me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back