Kyron Horman Case Going Cold?

The DA supposedly had over 200 subpoenas delivered and many of these people, if not all, will testify in front of the GJ. This will take much longer than those of us who are watching would like, but until the GJ has finished hearing testimony, the case is not cold. It is just moving slow.

From the reference below-
A Multnomah County grand jury investigating the disappearance of Kyron Horman could continue for months, according to information from the presiding judge.

KGW has learned that Judge Jean Kerr Maurer issued an order from August 20th through October 29th restricting any audio or visual recording of witnesses coming or going from the grand jury room.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kyron-Horman-grand-jury-meets-again-101339004.html

It's just bad timing for MCSO if the billboards coming down and Kyron being dropped from the school roll is a coincidence, with their PC just days ago...

I hope it is not going cold at the 3-month mark and don't necessarily believe the title of the article. I think the media uses that term too much when a case is not in your face everyday on the cable news, as if any case that is not on the same media level as Laci Peterson or Natalee Holloway must be cold. On the other hand, Kyron's story has gotten and at least up through this month is getting national media attention. So, I guess any slight shift in that might give the impression that things were getting slightly "cooler", if you will.

It did bother me when I read it in Cluciano's post (above) about the billboards coming down, coincidentally at the same time as this shift in attention. I really hope that the start of the school year was not some sort of deadline for them, mentally or literally, as far as when they would start to lose motivation. I don't know, just hoping that they would not be so ridiculous as to start labeling it cold after only 3 months.

3 thousand tips, 3 months. Let's do the math. That's 1,000 tips per month. That's 33.333333 tips per day being investigated and either being ruled in or out as viable.

Now that all viable ruled in tips are distinguished...The investigators can stream line their investigation. I have great faith in Staton's statement that they are further along than most people think.

Important to mention, my brother who was in LE for 10 years use to tell me about all the nutcases that would call in and admit to killing JFK. Usually from a pay phone. This was in the 90s. LOL. A report had to be made nonetheless.

The fiscal year for Multonomah county runs July 1 - June 30. The county had just adopted their 2011 budget and implented July 1, 2010.

July 22, 2010

Sheriff Dan Staton, meanwhile, canceled his request today for $242,609 in additional funds. Staton said he’s able to return $900,000 to the county because of efficiencies in his office. Staton told the board he needs to hire an additional investigative technician, and he will report back in October on how much the investigation has cost.

The Multnomah County Board of Commissioners today approved an additional $196,034 to continue the seven-week-old investigation into the disappearance of Kyron Horman.

District Attorney Mike Schrunk said the money is needed to cover an additional prosecutor and other costs, but he’s not sure how much longer the investigation into the missing 7-year-old will continue at the current pace.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/tag/multnomah-county/

July 27, 2010

As prosecutors impaneled a grand jury, police Tuesday said they could not provide details on an ongoing criminal investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/search-kyron-horman-grand-jury-convenes/story?id=11257303

Now Kyron's investigation begins almost a month (June 4, 2010) before the end of the fiscal year for Multonomah County.

A couple of days prior to the 26th of June the failed murder-for-hire sting.

June 26 - KH is informed about a alledged murder-for-hire plot.

July 13 - The sexting info hits the news.

Sometime around the 13th or 14th of July DS's condo is searched.

July 22 - A mere 7 weeks after Kyron's disappearance Staton returns almost a million dollars and canceled a request for additional funds??? Meanwhile the DA asks for additional funds to hire an additonal prosecutor and for other costs...

It is looking like all eggs are in the "TMH did it basket".

September 10, 2010

During August, a grand jury in the case remained busy, with school employees, friends of Terri Horman, and many others called to testify. But the grand jury suspended itself for the time being.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kyron-Hormans-eighth-birthday-is-today-missing-portland-102488964.html

September 16, 2010

BIG CHANGES IN THE SEARCH FOR LITTLE KYRON HORMAN.
HE'S BEEN MISSING FOR THREE MONTHS.. AND FOR INVESTIGATORS IN PORTLAND, OREGON, IT'S BECOME THE MOST EXPENSIVE INVESTIGATION EVER.
AS CBS NEWS CORRESPONDENT BEN TRACY REPORTS, THE SHERIFF SAYS THEY CAN'T KEEP GOING ON LIKE THIS.

http://wdef.com/news/big_changes_in_the_search_for_little_kyron_horman/09/2010

September 16, 2010
Now, authorities have announced a major change in their investigation, in part because they're running out of money. The search for the Portland, Ore., boy has become the most expensive in the local sheriff's department's history.

However, CBS News correspondent Ben Tracy pointed out, after spending more than $1 million trying to find the 8-year-old, the Multnomah County sheriff is pulling all but two of his detectives and one technician off the case.

McCain said on "The Early Show" Thursday, "Even though the sheriff says this is not being scaled back, the fact is, when you're the lead agency and you're now paring back to only 30 percent of a task force, there is no other way to describe that than scaling back. The real problem here (is that) he will try to shift up to 70 percent of the cost of this investigation to smaller cities and jurisdictions that have nothing to do with the Kyron case jurisdictionally. It will be a tough sale, so by default, it will be his case whether he likes it or not."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/16/earlyshow/main6871823.shtml

I decided to follow the return of and request for money. I thought the money would be the easiest to follow and the least biased.

It looks like initially they thought that TMH had done it and were pretty much convinced in that train of thought by the time they convened the grand jury.

At least Staton was convinced because no one in their right mind is going to return almost a million dollars with an open missing child case. The DA looked like he was getting ready for the prosecution of "someone" and then all that changed Sept. 10 when the Grand Jury suspended itself.

Now it is beginning to look like the grand jury did not find enough evidence to indict anyone and now the likelihood of a long investigation has reared its ugly head. So what McCain said actually adds up. His statement about passing the cost to small cities and other jurisdictions is backed up by the lack of funds and the budgetary concerns that all cities, counties, and states are currently facing. I too believe that it's going to be a hard sell due to across the board lack of funds.

This case, unfortunately, is headed for the cold case section in my opinion. I also believe that some errors may have been made early on and the return of the money by Staton has caused a big problem.

I am not saying TMH is guilty or innocent I am just saying it doesn't look like the LE has the proof in the "tons" of evidence.

I hope Kyron is alive and eventually is able to come home. If he is not the hope now is for the hunters to find his remains because unless someone comes forward or there is a confession this case is stalled.

MOO...

Everything bolded is BBM and my comments are in blue.

Thank you for putting all this together. Sort of like a time-line of the money and certainly gives another way to view the case. I appreciate all the effort.

Causes one to wonder what the thinking was behind giving back the million!

I agree that LE put way too many eggs in one basket which probably caused a narrowing of their peripheral vision in the case.

Not sure if the GJ was for investigative purposes or for an indictment, but my feeling is that much more information is necessary if it was for indictment only. moo mho

This picture is starting to look like the Haleigh Cummings case. I doubt that case will ever be solved, nor will this one. I don't believe for a minute he's being held somewhere for this long. And if TH had something to do with it, she's not showing her cards, and LE has nothing to go on.

this is so frustrating!

MOO

Mel

Perhaps the GJ has seen some of what even seasoned LEOs are having trouble consuming is the reason they decided they needed a break, to grieve, and/or vomit.

It's not a cold case, imo. The only evidence they probably don't have now, is Kyron.
There is a good reason imo why TMH is spending so much money on a defense attorney, ie, you get what you pay for, and she likely needs all the help she can get at this point.

May Kyron be found soon.
:I

3 thousand tips, 3 months. Let's do the math. That's 1,000 tips per month. That's 33.333333 tips per day being investigated and either being ruled in or out as viable.

Now that all viable ruled in tips are distinguished...The investigators can stream line their investigation. I have great faith in Staton's statement that they are further along than most people think.

Important to mention, my brother who was in LE for 10 years use to tell me about all the nutcases that would call in and admit to killing JFK. Usually from a pay phone. This was in the 90s. LOL. A report had to be made nonetheless.

Exactly! :thumb:

The DA supposedly had over 200 subpoenas delivered and many of these people, if not all, will testify in front of the GJ. This will take much longer than those of us who are watching would like, but until the GJ has finished hearing testimony, the case is not cold. It is just moving slow.

From the reference below-
A Multnomah County grand jury investigating the disappearance of Kyron Horman could continue for months, according to information from the presiding judge.

KGW has learned that Judge Jean Kerr Maurer issued an order from August 20th through October 29th restricting any audio or visual recording of witnesses coming or going from the grand jury room.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kyron-Horman-grand-jury-meets-again-101339004.html

Sadly, the grand jury was suspended after your linked article.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5597408&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Grand jury suspended[/ame]

I'm beginning to believe this case has gone cold and that little Kyron will never be found. I really hope I am wrong.

just my two cents but I do not believe this case is cold. I also do not agree with this talking head. I am choosing right now to believe what LE said at the press conference yesterday and I am still going to have faith in them.

moo

Staton certainly did not indicate yesterday that this case was going cold and I believe that McCain (sp?) needs to keep his mouth out of the media, JMO. There have been several things that he has already mispoken on, especially regarding the start date of the new school year, and I believe he is very uninformed about the details of this case. I believe he knows absolutely no more than what the media and the public know, and as well as know from that, it's very little.

ITA with both of these posts. Quotes from this article reinforce my belief that this case is far from cold:

“This case is further along than most people realize,” she said.

and

"There is no one standing there with a smoking gun," Schrunk said in a telephone interview. "You’ve got nearly 4,000 different leads. This is not one where the investigation and prosecution all occurs in 60 minutes" -- like a television program.

But the county fully expects a conclusion.

"We are going to try this case," Schrunk said.

"We are going to try this case"...period. No hesitation whatsoever there. It doesn't sound like a cold case at all to me. It sounds like they are building a solid case. And the quote "this case is further along than most people realize" reassures me too. Take a look at this forum and other places on the net and you'll read speculation about LE having no evidence of this or that, and doubts about the case in general (this thread is one example of that), but here we have the spokeswoman for the very agency that is working this case saying that it's further along than most people realize. I think that we can be assured that of all things, this case is not cold.

I am happy to see that Ned Lyle Kelly was put in custody Sept 1. He was an RSO that was scary and they did not know where he was.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back