Kyron Horman Discussion Thread 2020 - 2022 - #2

Of course none of us knows what facts and evidence LE really has. There is a lot of speculation being presented as fact.
IMO, the case will be solved, Kyron will be brought home,and Terii will be in prison. Someday.

Attachments

• 1CBC0883-B150-4FF8-80E4-C7E593EF7CCC.jpeg
    1CBC0883-B150-4FF8-80E4-C7E593EF7CCC.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 08159BBC-626F-4D75-9EA1-6A7505101F31.jpeg
    08159BBC-626F-4D75-9EA1-6A7505101F31.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 65
Terri Moulton Horman-Vazquez has recently been posting photos of Kyron and commenting about him on her Facebook page. Desiree Young responded to one of her comments.

I think it's clear at this point that Desiree is working off some original scenario that she has developed since 2015 without input from LE. Nothing of this matches the info we have, or makes sense both with what we do know or even within itself. Why would Porter tell the chaperone that Kyron was probably in the bathroom or mark Kyron as absent at 10:00 if she knew he was with Terri and expected him back at 11:00? Why would Terri remove Kyron from the group for a personal tour between 8:15 and 8:45 when the groups didn't form until 8:45? Why did Gina Zimmerman say she saw Kyron and Terri by the project in the classroom at 8:15 if the events (picture-taking and tour) were reversed, as Desiree claims? Why, if Terri told everyone exactly what happened to Kyron - that he left with her - did the police feel any need to search the school and the surroundings? Why would they not have arrested her immediately when all those testimonies came to light?

Desiree's story doesn't make any sense. She only began to tell it (in its original form) in 2015, around the core events of 1. the photo being taken at 8:45 and 2. witnesses seeing Kyron and Terri leave together. I think it's pretty clear by now that neither of those are true, as Desiree's reconstruction shows.

Last edited:
To add to my point, here is what the book Boy Missing by Rebecca Morris (in which the info is supplied by Desiree) says:

In addition to the school-wide science fair that had brought hundreds of people to the school, there was an afternoon talent show. Kyron was not slated to be a part of it, so his absence still didn’t get anyone’s attention. Like his mother, Kyron was shy. He’d struggled to make it through a presentation about Portland’s Iron Bridge that he’d given to his class in April. He was anxious anytime there was a school concert or event that required him to speak or perform, even if it meant being just one of many in a class choir. In videos of school concerts and his talk about the bridge, Kyron looks happy but ill at ease.

This directly contradicts the story Desiree is telling now, only a few years later.

Of course none of us knows what facts and evidence LE really has. There is a lot of speculation being presented as fact.
IMO, the case will be solved, Kyron will be brought home,and Terii will be in prison. Someday.
But when? It's been well over 12 yrs now. That seems like a long time to me.

There are many cases solved after many more years than Kyron's. Sad but true.

Desiree isn't responsible for Kyron's disappearance, although it appears there are some who think she's hiding him somewhere. (Just looked at some FB pages, gahh.) I don't believe the information she's had has been static all these years; it doesn't make sense that she has access to exactly the same information today that she did 13 years ago.

But regardless of what she says or doesn't say, it doesn't change what Terri did on that day. Terri doesn't get a do-over, she's stuck with her murderous actions and will be held accountable.

Which are usually solved after the investigation changes hands and direction - sorely needed here.

Desiree isn't responsible for Kyron's disappearance, although it appears there are some who think she's hiding him somewhere. (Just looked at some FB pages, gahh.) I don't believe the information she's had has been static all these years; it doesn't make sense that she has access to exactly the same information today that she did 13 years ago.

I dont think that holds up. If for nothing else than Desiree has been backdating her new information in the Morris book.

In chapter 24, which takes place on June 27th 2010, she says the police gave her the information regarding the witnesses (bus driver, CL and relatives) who allegedly claimed to have seen Kyron leave with Terri at 8:50. Yet two months after this supposedly took place, Desiree and Kaine have an interview on August 27th where they say the following:

Reporter: Potentially one person in the truck... three people... the white truck, Terri's truck... can you talk...

Desiree: (interrupts) Kaine's truck (laughs)

Reporter: a little bit about that...

Reporter: Kaine's truck. I'm sorry... What are your thoughts on that new information? Do you feel as though Dede was in that truck?

Desiree: (interrupts) It just makes me feel stronger that, that there were people helping her... that Kyron saw it all and was involved and that there were other people helping her... which is what we suspected.

Reporter: So because... but do you believe that a man was spotted? I mean again, these are witness accounts, and I don't know how much information that you've been privy to about what the, what is the likeliest scenario?

Desiree: Well first of all, why would Kyron even be outside the school? Why would he even be near a truck with somebody else in it?

You know. I mean it's significant in a huge way to the case. If the timeline played out the way that it supposedly did? That contradicts that completely.

So I mean, other than that (shrugs), that's how significant it was to me.

The talk about the timeline being different? That Kyron was seen near a truck with "somebody else" in it? And the earlier posters asking about the truck on the access road? None of it makes sense in light of the supposed witness statements.

The same is true for the change in the timeline - putting the photo after the tour with Terri, contrary to Gina Zimmerman and all early reporting. Desiree has given different versions of finding this out, first telling a podcast that it was recent and found by technology, but in the Morris book (chapter 3) she say Terri herself gave that version in her very first conversation with the detectives. Again, completely counter to what everyone else said at the time - which is the same as Terri has told since 2010.

Even if we ignore Desiree's backdating of the information, why wouldn't her information be static? These are all things that would be known within days of the abduction. Up until last year Desiree was saying Kyron wasn't supposed to be in the talent show - what new info would emerge that made her do a 180 this very year, that wouldn't be there 13 years ago?

But regardless of what she says or doesn't say, it doesn't change what Terri did on that day. Terri doesn't get a do-over, she's stuck with her murderous actions and will be held accountable.

Terri didn't do anything to Kyron that day. There isn't any evidence she did, nor did she have time to do so, a place to do so or motive to do so. She has never been indicted by a Grand Jury, and won't be so in the future.

Which are usually solved after the investigation changes hands and direction - sorely needed here.

I dont think that holds up. If for nothing else than Desiree has been backdating her new information in the Morris book.

In chapter 24, which takes place on June 27th 2010, she says the police gave her the information regarding the witnesses (bus driver, CL and relatives) who allegedly claimed to have seen Kyron leave with Terri at 8:50. Yet two months after this supposedly took place, Desiree and Kaine have an interview on August 27th where they say the following:

The talk about the timeline being different? That Kyron was seen near a truck with "somebody else" in it? And the earlier posters asking about the truck on the access road? None of it makes sense in light of the supposed witness statements.

The same is true for the change in the timeline - putting the photo after the tour with Terri, contrary to Gina Zimmerman and all early reporting. Desiree has given different versions of finding this out, first telling a podcast that it was recent and found by technology, but in the Morris book (chapter 3) she say Terri herself gave that version in her very first conversation with the detectives. Again, completely counter to what everyone else said at the time - which is the same as Terri has told since 2010.

Even if we ignore Desiree's backdating of the information, why wouldn't her information be static? These are all things that would be known within days of the abduction. Up until last year Desiree was saying Kyron wasn't supposed to be in the talent show - what new info would emerge that made her do a 180 this very year, that wouldn't be there 13 years ago?

Terri didn't do anything to Kyron that day. There isn't any evidence she did, nor did she have time to do so, a place to do so or motive to do so. She has never been indicted by a Grand Jury, and won't be so in the future.
Never say never, you might be surprised one day.

I think that the human mind can do weird things with memory, esp at times of trauma. Moo

Never say never, you might be surprised one day.

Nothing is certain of course, though I do feel obligated to counter absolute statements with those of my own.

But I stand by what I said. The MCSO hasn't been actively investigating this case for a long time. They believe they know who did it, but they have no evidence she did, so they're stuck. In my opinion, this case was bungled in the first weeks. They zeroed in on Terri before they had even interviewed everyone at school. And they changed their tack from gathering witness statements to pressuring Terri two weeks after the abduction, with the distribution of a poster with her face on it as well as the Horman truck. And while they're currently deep in the sunk cost fallacy, the initial events that triggered their suspicions (as far as I can see) are either invalid or were later shown to be wrong:

* June 4th. Desiree going to the investigators the first night to tell them she thought Terri was responsible. If this actually happened, it makes sense that the investigators would become suspicious, but according to Desiree herself her suspicion was based on the false notion that Terri wouldn't have been able to see Kyron's classroom from where she stood.

* June 7th. Polygraphs. They are, of course, bunk and should never enter into a serious investigation, but here they seem to have been given importance based on statements by Kaine, Tony and Dede. If Terri failed her initial polygraph, and the MCSO genuinely believed their silly toy was a lie detector? Another unfair strike against her.

* June 10th. Sauvie Island. The leaked reason for the sudden search of the island was that cell phone pings had placed Terri on the island. We know from leaked emails that Terri was dumbfounded by this, stating she had only been on hwy 30, not on the island. To the MCSO this would be a clear lie from her - and indeed that's what everyone else thought too. Look back at this forum in those early days, and see how many used the cell phone pings as a clear indication of Terri's guilt. Of course, at some point the MCSO realized that they were wrong - the ping did not have to have originated on the island, and indeed the cell tower was by hwy 30, where Terri was. But that was much, much later.

And at this point, the tunnel vision sets in. They have someone the family is suspicious of and who (they believe) lied to them. So the investigation goes into pressure mode. June 18th the poster of Terri and the white truck goes out. At this point, any sighting of a white truck on June 4th becomes a sighting of Terri's truck in the public mind. As an example, on this forum much digital ink was spilled over Chas who said he saw Terri in the white truck at hwy 30 on June 4th - however on a time that would later prove it couldn't be her. Chas himself admitted that he had only called in the tip after the posters had appeared.

At some point the police must have realized that Terri's timeline began to solidify in a way that made it very unlikely for her to have taken Kyron. Receipts, CCTV, witness statements placed her at where she said she had been between 9 and 10, and there were sightings of Kyron at the school after 9. Not to mention the whispers of a strange man at the school. So since Terri was guilty in their eyes (she had lied to them, after all) it had to have been an accomplice. A bit of digging into her finances and what do they find? A landscaper hired by Terri whose presence was hidden from Kaine. Jackpot! The MCSO must have thought they had their man, and (imo) they leaned on him heavily to get him to confess. I very much suspect the MFH "confession" was the landscaper's way of giving the MCSO something and get them off his back. It wouldn't be the first time someone made a false accusation under pressure.

Unfortunately (for everyone involved) the MCSO decided to prove this by a harebrained scheme involving the landscaper wearing a wire in a sting operation, along with turning Kaine against Terri and getting him and his daughter out of the house. Apparently they hadn't planned for the whole thing to backfire, which it did. Terri called the police on the sting, ended up with a lawyer who had no patience for police malarkey and Kaine's immediate divorce proceedings now became tangled up in the criminal investigation, creating a legal mess that would last for over three years. Still, the police kept up their strategy. Friends who stood by Terri were investigated and interrogated, their homes searched - all of them ended up distancing themselves from Terri. One friend, Dede Spicher, declined to take a polygraph, a sensible move, but the result is that the next day Kaine and Desiree outed her to the media, telling the world that she isn't cooperating. Soon her face too was put on posters.

While the landscaper was eliminated as an accomplice (apparently), and Dede doesn't seem to have been seriously considered as one, the police were reduced to asking the public about someone seen sitting in Terri's truck (aka, a white truck) at the school. No description or even gender was given about this individual, but I suspect the Dede posters backfired as soon it was leaked that the police didn't think the mystery person was Dede. If you ask me why this individual was never given a description, it's because they could never link him to anyone, least of all Terri, or find his identity. By giving out the description of an unknown man not linked to Terri they'd hand her ammunition for her upcoming trial.

Though that may have been optimistic on their part. They put the case before a Grand Jury, and while the results were secret, by October it certainly looked like they got no-billed - a rare occasion of the ham sandwich walking. This is when you notice the investigation dying down. You get some drip, drip as the police release dirt on Terri through Kaine and Desiree, and some more searches of Sauvie Island and surrounding areas, but little more. By 2011, what little info we get is that the MCSO are looking into things like a fire at Terri's parents garage in the 90s, or a prison snitch who claims to have been hired by Terri to murder her boyfriend. None of which have anything to do with Kyron, even if they weren't incredibly weak. In 2013 Dede relents and takes the polygraph, which doesn't change anything since her story remains the same as in 2010. What is the investigator's immediate follow-up? To plan another sting operation with Dede! She sensibly declined. Then Terri gets into some trouble after having moved to California. She's acquitted of the charges, but it's clear that the MCSO is sniffing at these cases. So for seven years, the investigative tactic appears to have been "let's poke and prod Terri until we can get anything to stick."

2017 seems to be the last time we get info on the Grand Jury (still meeting, according to legal documents). Since Oregon requires a court order to empanel a new Grand Jury in the same case, that would imply some new evidence, no? Well, turns out Multnomah county had a clever (and illegal) work-around - they just "forgot" to register their no-bills. After getting caught in 2019 we haven't heard anything about a Grand Jury in Kyron's case. I don't think that's a coincidence.

The case isn't moving. They aren't doing searches. If Terri is the actual culprit, what could they possibly do to get her? They've basically tried everything, and nothing worked. You would think that at this point a fresh set of eyes and a new direction would be welcome.

@FergusMcDuck - excellent points. I feel bad your post will most likely be wasted on those who have already tried and convicted Terri in the court of public opinion, if they read it at all. But I always appreciate the voice of reason.
I don't mind disagreement, and I'm certainly quite fallible. But I would like to know what makes people think the case is being worked on and just what they're doing. Try as I might, I see nothing.

I don't mind disagreement, and I'm certainly quite fallible. But I would like to know what makes people think the case is being worked on and just what they're doing. Try as I might, I see nothing.
I always wonder what's going on behind the scenes, if anything. We only seem to hear about the case if/when something happens, so we really have no way of knowing. I think at this point investigators are taking a passive, wait and see approach. Not saying they don't investigate tips that come in, or follow up on any leads, but unless we hear about it in the media, it certainly appears the case has stalled.

Two other things which have also bothered me about how Kyron's case has been handled, and I'm going off of memory here, so I'm open to correction if I'm remembering wrong.

I recall a couple of years after Kyron went missing, MCSO mentioned in the media they were going to start examining pictures of the science fair. Not reexamine them, as in taking a second or third look with closer scrutiny, but starting the process. This blew my mind. I thought they had been doing that all along, or had done so already. I remember investigators asking for pictures and videos taken at the science fair from the get-go, but the article made it sound like they were still soliciting them and hadn't even looked at the ones they had yet. That could have simply been poor reporting, but it was worded in such a way as to imply they hadn't even started yet.

In another article around the same time, investigators said they were looking at registered SO's in the area. Again, this was years after.

These were two searches I would have hoped investigators would have been conducting since the beginning, concurrent with their investigation into Terri and searching for Kyron, but, based on those later articles, it sounded like they hadn't. Or were slow to get started. I lost faith in the investigation at that point. If they hadn't interviewed SO's or gone over pictures with a fine tooth comb from the beginning, they really did Kyron a disservice.

Law enforcement got “stuck” on Terri because, in spite of their best efforts, they could not eliminate her.

Kyron Richard Horman, 7-years-old, was missing. They were trying to find him. It’s standard procedure for law enforcement to run interviews simultaneously. They continued their interviews—checking and re-checking details—for months. Most parents and/or stepparents don’t whine over being interviewed. They want to cooperate with law enforcement and (among other things) take the helpful tool--that dang, waste-of-time, good-for-nothing polygraph--so they can be eliminated as a suspect and help law enforcement find their child. As Kaine did; as Desiree did; as Tony did.

On June 18, 2010, law enforcement officially announced that Terri was the last known person to be seen with Kyron and they released the first poster with two images of her face on it seeking the public’s help in uncovering what she had done with Kyron after they left the school together.

After that date, law enforcement never retracted their statement that Terri was the last known person to be seen with Kyron.

I believe a neighboring friend of Terri’s, the grandmother of one of the witnesses, kept that child’s name in the media by saying things to the media the child had never said to law enforcement or perhaps had never said at all. A public request from law enforcement requesting “copies of any video interviews with students, parents or others” seemed to squelch the media’s participation, albeit not the “Terri” driven social media.

Snipped quote: [June 16, 2010] NATISHA LANCE, NANCY GRACE PRODUCER: Well, Nancy, the sex offenders in the area, 176 are being looked into. The family is also being spoken to at this point and no one has been ruled out.
CNN.com - Transcripts

Snipped quote: [July 6, 2010] Terri Horman, failed polys, cell phone records not matching, examination of files from her computer:
The reliable source also told KGW News that investigators believe that Terri has lied to investigators and that there have been several instances where they have wanted to know more about her whereabouts the day her stepson disappeared, including:
* After cell phone records seemed to indicate that she may not have been where she said on that day.
* After her performance during several hours of polygraphs which, the source said, indicated that she was being "evasive"; and
* After examining files from her computer.
Investigators have also examined Terri's cell phone and email records, determining whom she had had contact within the days leading up to her stepson’s disappearance.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100717232730/http://www.kgw.com/news/kyron-horman/Hormanprobelatest-97771724.html

Snipped quote: [Jun. 18, 2010] Kyron Horman’s stepmother was the last known person to see the 7-year-old on the day that he disappeared, said Capt. Jason Gates, and authorities hope her photo might help jog the memories of other witnesses.
The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office is distributing a flier showing photos of Terri Moulton Horman and the type of pickup she is thought to have driven on June 4, the day the second grader disappeared from Skyline School.

Police hope stepmom's photo will help spark more tips for Kyron Horman investigation

Snipped quote: [Jun 18, 2010] “Terri is the last-known person to have seen him before he disappeared,” Multnomah County Sheriff’s Capt. Jason Gates said, contrary to previous reports of someone else who might have seen the boy afterward.
Investigators say Kyron’s family cooperating as search continues

Snipped quote: [July 16, 2010] Authorities are asking media to give them copies of any video interviews with students, parents, or others who said they saw Kyron Horman after 8:45 a.m. on June 4.
Horman disappeared that day from Skyline School in rural northwest Multnomah County.
In addition to the footage, the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office is asking for contact information for those who were interviewed. …
The sheriff's office already has conducted interviews twice -- and in some cases four times -- with parents, students, school officials and others since Kyron disappeared almost six weeks ago. But some of those interviewed have given different stories to TV crews, he said, and the sheriff's office wants to follow up on any information that may have been missed.
Investigators initially said that Kyron Horman was seen by someone around 9 a.m. June 4 at the school. They later amended the timeline, saying he was last seen at 8:45 a.m. by his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, as he headed to his classroom.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111004070410/http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/police_ask_media_for_footage_o.html

Snipped quote: [December 10, 2010] The task force has identified 490 people who were present.
https://web.archive.org/web/20111004073136/http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/kyron_horman_task_force_sends.html

Unsaid when considering law enforcement uncovered Terri’s involvement with at least three landscapers and conducted one failed sting, is the desperate need to find a tiny 7-year-old child. And it wasn’t all for naught. When Kaine was presented with the evidence, he woke up, took baby “K” and fled in fear for both their lives. With reason good enough to stand in a court of law. He got pretty much everything in the final divorce settlement, including full custody of a child Terri had carried for 9-months. It’s almost unheard of for a court to do that and it would not be done without strong, supporting evidence. She was even required to pay child support for a child she would never take the necessary legal steps to visit. Could that be considered karma for the way she treated her second husband who was the adoptive father to her biological son with her first husband? (Kaine was her third husband). I think so.

Dissolution of Marriage
http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/other/horman.pdf

Custody Settlement:
https://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/other/Horman-custody.pdf

To my knowledge, law enforcement has never given a description of an unknown man connected to Kyron’s disappearance. Never. They would not confirm the sex of the unidentified person seen in the vehicle (Kaine's F250) as it moved from the school parking lot, to the side of the road in front of the school, to the service road leading to the soccer field. They later indicated they believed the person to be none other than Terri herself. If their belief is correct, it places Terri outside the school before 8:45 a.m. and then returning to snap Kron’s picture in his classroom, in front of his science project, at 8:45 a.m. Among other insights, this sheds light on the 13-year-old witness sighting of seeing Kyron in the gym without Terri.

From my viewpoint, law enforcement was soft on not only Terri but on DeDe as well. With DeDe, perhaps because her father was in law enforcement, and perhaps because all law enforcement attaches devotion to the “thin blue line”, they were too quick to discount a daughter of one of their own being involved in such a heinous crime as the disappearance of a tiny, defenseless, 7-year-old child. In my humble opinion, they were wrong. We may see something that confirms such soon.

Snipped quote: [Aug 19, 2010] Investigators are working on following up on tips they received since last week’s news conference about the person seen on June 4. Those tips are in addition to the 4,000 they have collected so far.
They also want to know if a third person is tied to Kyron’s disappearance.
Investigators have witnesses who saw an adult in and around the truck in front of Skyline School between 8:15 and 8:45 that morning.
Investigators aren’t identifying the gender of the person in the truck but have reason to believe the person may not be Spicher.

Investigators doubt Spicher was seen near Horman truck

Snipped quote: [Pg 263] Underhill said at least one witness told police they saw a second adult, on a phone, in the truck while Terri was in the school. Another had seen the truck moved. Later, detectives told Desiree that despite tips, they didn't think there was anyone else in Terri's truck, at least when it was parked at the school. They thought the person sighted on the phone in the truck was Terri.
"Boy Missing · The Search for Kyron Horman" by Rebecca Morris

There is nothing at the provided link to confirm Kyron’s case was involved in the snafu at the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office.

In the eventuality of a murder trial, each of Terri’s many “legal mishaps” may be presented to a jury to show the degree to which she is a danger to society.

I believe it is well past time for the state to steady its nerves and prosecute Kyron’s case as a “no body” crime. They have more than enough evidence and have had such for more than a decade.

Desiree has probably seen more evidence than what has been reported in the media. In the beginning, both she and Kaine were asked not to discuss the timeline. However, after 13-plus years, if she chooses to drop a bit of “new to us evidence”, and especially if she chooses to write it up for us in a nice, succinct paragraph or two, words can’t express how much I appreciate it. She will never forget her charming little boy. She will never stop pushing for justice. Justice for Kyron! Justice for Kyron! Justice for Kyron!

It's been stated in the media many times that Kyron was scheduled to participate in the talent show at 1:00 p.m. on June 4, 2010. He was scheduled to tell a joke with another little boy. That little boy was called to testify before the grand jury. All that’s new is that Desiree is confirming it. And good on her for finally doing so.

Snipped quote: (discussing the state’s burden to prove the probability of “future dangerousness” in certain capital cases).
DocumentCloud

Snipped quote: "Last month, the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office learned that its long-standing practice of how to handle some 'not a true bill' cases was out of compliance with ORS 132.430," Weisberg says. "We have since aligned our policy and practice to adhere to the statute requirements."
Multnomah County Prosecutors Violated an Oregon Law for Decades. Then They Got Caught.

Snipped quote: [June 26, 2010] Kyron's parents addressed accounts that he was scheduled to perform in a talent show the day he disappeared, saying they didn't know it beforehand.
Kyron Horman's parents reveal new details in interviews; mystery of boy's whereabouts remains

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back