Kyron Horman Discussion Thread 2020 - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unusual for me to write anything to defend TH, but in this one, yeah, I'm doing just that.

IIRC, Kyron usually rode the bus to school, Terri was a stay-at-home-mom.

Wasn't her car the Mustang with the 'Red Squirrel' license plate? If so, both kids would have had to be in the back seat, buckled in car seats. Imagine opening the heavier, longer door of a 2-door car, moving the front seat forward, maneuvering the toddler into their seat, reach way back while bent over, buckle up, then lather-rinse-repeat on the other side of the car with the small-framed Kyron.

Then get the poster & etc in, maybe in the passenger seat, maybe in the trunk.

Don't forget the diaper bag & Kyron's backpack, possibly Terri's gym bag.

Yeah, I'd take the truck. Buckle both kids at a comfortable working height. Plenty of room in the cab for the poster, etc, and a bag for each person.

And, as I've said upthread, when I drive Mr. Laughing's blasted extended cab long bed truck with receiver hitch I park as far out in any lot as possible.

jmho ymmv lrr of course
I don't know about TH; however, I'm 5'1" and would have trouble getting car seats into a truck with or without the kids. Even when I was younger and worked out, I had trouble just getting into most trucks let alone lifting anything into it. I drove a Toyota Celica and easily transported my nieces, nephews, and their stuff in it.

Ooooohhhh -- no idea. A Mom with 2 kids picking up a bottle of Benadryl or Dramamine here & there wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

IIRC, LE checked her receipts & the store records for the day of his disappearance, surely they've checked the weeks prior?

Weren't there problems with excessive spending around that time?

jmho ymmv lrr
That is the question. Did they check "the weeks prior?" If so, what did she buy? I've watched plenty of missing person/crime shows on Dateline, America's Most Wanted, etc. where they got the store copies of the credit card receipts showing the suspect buying shovels, plastic bags, storage totes, medication to drug the victim, rope, duct tape, etc? I didn't know the stores kept track of the individual purchases until I saw it on tv.

Did LE ever confirm that the white truck on the access road belonged to Kaine Horman? From what I recall of earlier posts some people thought it was but couldn't confirm it.

Aug-11-2010 21:59

Detectives Seek Public Help in Kyron Horman Case​

Salem-News.com
Investigators release new photos and requests.

(PORTLAND,Ore.) - A press conference was held today to discuss the situation surrounding the disappearance of seven-year old Kyron Horman, a missing second grader from Portland who disappeared in early June.

Lt. Mary Lindstrand with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office says law enforcement is seeking assistance from the public in the following areas:

The first focus of the investigative assistance involves Kaine Horman's white Ford F250 pickup truck which was driven to Skyline School on 4 June by Terri Horman. Law enforcement would like to speak with any person who may have seen the truck at Skyline school in the approximate locations captured in the photographs between approximately 8:15 a.m. and 8:45 a.m.

The second focus is an effort to identify any person or persons associated with the truck during those times

The third focus is seeking any additional information about the truck at two Fred Meyer Stores as well as on or near Skyline Blvd. between approximately Springville Road and Newberry Road, including on or around Germantown Road and/or old Germantown Road at approximately 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

The fourth focus seeks the identify of a witness who parked their vehicle on 4 June before 8:45 a.m. on 4 June in the Skyline School parking lot on the south side of the lot. If you parked your vehicle in that described area please contact law enforcement with your name, phone number, the year, make and model of your vehicle as well as the color and license plate number. This pertains to the vehicle parked in the school lot.
Authorities are seeking to identify the person, or persons, who may have been spotted by the truck as it was parked outside the school's front fence in the shoulder of Northwest Skyline Boulevard. Someone possibly moved the pickup and parked it up a gravel path in front of the school's playground while [TMH] was inside the school with her stepson for his science fair.

Underhill said investigators want to identify anybody "in or in immediate proximity to that truck."

"We're looking for additional witnesses," he added, standing in the Brooks Hill Historic Church across from the school in front of blown-up photos of the Horman truck staged at each location.

The appeal to the public comes as investigators continue to try to determine the whereabouts of Terri Moulton Horman and her friend DeDe Spicher during overlapping hours on the day Kyron disappeared. Criminal justice experts say authorities likely are also seeking to support testimony they obtained from witnesses before an investigative grand jury.

They already had witnesses who placed the truck on the access road and on the shoulder of Skyline Boulevard on June 4, 2010. They were seeking more.

Did LE do a second presser telling us what they found: no. I wouldn't expect them, too. This is an open and active investigation.

In cases that have gone cold, they will sometimes release new information. The Tara Grinstead case, for example. LE eventually released that they had found the glove with DNA inside of it. That was to make the owner of the DNA sweat a little, not to quench our thirst for details. They eventually solved that case.

At about 37 seconds into the video:
Desiree Young:
It's not a stranger who walked into Kyron's school and took him that day. We know who it was.

IMO, On Jun 4, 2010, the day seemed planned out by TH all in order to have an alibi.
  • Advised school of dr appt
  • Requested to use the white truck
  • Prior to leaving the school took photo of Kyron with science project
  • Purchases made at Fred Meyer stores
  • Driving infant (due to an earache) around
  • Goes to the gym (who does that with a sick infant?)
  • Post on Facebook

The book described how Terri Horman washed Kyron's jacket and backpack the day he disappeared.

However, TH didn't count on being seen leaving with Kyron, Burner phones awareness, TH and friend can't account for missing time that day, TH story changed multiple times during questioning, and two failed polygraph tests (walked out on third attempt).

I am sure there is more than I've listed here.

Where is Kyron Horman?

They already had witnesses who placed the truck on the access road and on the shoulder of Skyline Boulevard on June 4, 2010. They were seeking more.

Did LE do a second presser telling us what they found: no. I wouldn't expect them, too. This is an open and active investigation.

In cases that have gone cold, they will sometimes release new information. The Tara Grinstead case, for example. LE eventually released that they had found the glove with DNA inside of it. That was to make the owner of the DNA sweat a little, not to quench our thirst for details. They eventually solved that case.

At about 37 seconds into the video:
Desiree Young:
It's not a stranger who walked into Kyron's school and took him that day. We know who it was.

So, this quote is interesting for what it says:

Authorities are seeking to identify the person, or persons, who may have been spotted by the truck as it was parked outside the school's front fence in the shoulder of Northwest Skyline Boulevard. Someone possibly moved the pickup and parked it up a gravel path in front of the school's playground while [TMH] was inside the school with her stepson for his science fair.

It confirms that Terri parked at the shoulder of the road, as I have read but been unable to confirm from a reliable source until now. But the second sentence, "someone possibly moved" doesn't really scream certainty to me. All it tells me is that there was a white truck on the access road, it may or may not have been Terri's.

But the LE are looking for a person - not Terri - seen by the truck and they don't think it was Dede Spicher:

Investigators have learned they have reason to believe it may not have been DeDe Spicher, the friend of Kyron Horman’s stepmother Terri Moulton Horman, who was seen in a truck the morning Kyron disappeared.

[...]

Investigators have witnesses who saw an adult in and around the truck in front of Skyline School between 8:15 and 8:45 that morning.

Investigators aren’t identifying the gender of the person in the truck but have reason to believe the person may not be Spicher.​

And in the interview transcribed here by @BeanE, MVP of the early threads, the questioner implies the person seen was a man:

Reporter: So because... but do you believe that a man was spotted? I mean again, these are witness accounts, and I don't know how much information that you've been privy to about what the, what is the likeliest scenario?

Desiree: Well first of all, why would Kyron even be outside the school? Why would he even be near a truck with somebody else in it?

So, this tells me there is a stranger the MCSO were looking for, a stranger whose connection to Terri - if any! - was unclear. And at least some people were under the impression that it was a man.

IMO, On Jun 4, 2010, the day seemed planned out by TH all in order to have an alibi.
  • Advised school of dr appt
  • Requested to use the white truck
  • Prior to leaving the school took photo of Kyron with science project
  • Purchases made at Fred Meyer stores
  • Driving infant (due to an earache) around
  • Goes to the gym (who does that with a sick infant?)
  • Post on Facebook

The first bullet point contradicts the others. If she's advised the school of a fake appointment that day, everything she does after is irrelevant.

The book described how Terri Horman washed Kyron's jacket and backpack the day he disappeared.

If the jacket and backpack were left in the school, why would they need to be washed? They wouldn't have been present for any abduction or murder.

However, TH didn't count on being seen leaving with Kyron,

She likely wasn't.

Burner phones awareness,

That only were bought weeks after Kyron's disappearance.

TH and friend can't account for missing time that day,

Account for, yes, prove, no. Both have given accounts of what they did during the time, and neither has been contradicted (unless you count Dede not hearing the call to lunch, which I don't).

TH story changed multiple times during questioning,

That's not a fact.

and two failed polygraph tests (walked out on third attempt).

I'd put that on the level of an ominous tarot reading.

I am sure there is more than I've listed here.

Where is Kyron Horman?

Wherever he is, I'm pretty certain he will never be found unless the investigation unshackles itself from Terri.

I keep going back to two passages from the Rebecca Morris book, passages I think have implications that the writer didn't see. First this:

The MCSO did a post-investigation study of its work to date. Sheriff Staton had told the Oregonian on July 2, 2010, that there would be a study to determine what they could do better. Three years later, here it was. Mark Herron told Desiree and Tony that the study focused on:

1. The role of the FBI. The MCSO and the FBI disagreed—and still do—on the profile the feds had developed of a suspect.

[...]

4. The need to improve digital access and technology. The sheriff’s office paid for a cell phone expert from California to come to Portland to help. Desiree heard from someone close to the investigation that this was prompted by an earlier case where the MCSO had reportedly misinterpreted cell phone data.

5. The accuracy of the search area. Law enforcement had originally believed that the cell phone tower that pinged on Terri’s phone served only Sauvie Island. They later learned that it served a much wider area, which meant a larger area to search.

As for the FBI profile, Desiree believed the agency had used old statistics and was not open to a suspect being female. The FBI profile was “generic”: a male, thirty-five to forty-five years of age, and a stranger.

Immediately, it shows that the FBI weren't necessarily on board with the Terri-did-it POV. But more importantly, the bolded part goes to the core of the early finger-pointing towards Terri. On June 10th, almost a week after the abduction, the search took an unexplained leap to Sauvie Island, after having stayed in the vicinity of the school:

Earlier today, riders on horseback began searching Sauvie Island and a Blackhawk helicopter from the Oregon National Guard could also be seen above the island. By 10:30 a.m., the helicopter had made at least two passes, along a north-south line as the mounted riders began to head north along Sauvie Island Road.

Sauvie Island resident Mary Douglas said she saw the helicopter flying over the island on Thursday, but today was the first time she saw anyone searching the ground.

A week later, the blog Willamette Week revealed the reason why:

As the search for 7-year-old Kyron Horman continues, one of the most puzzling aspects has been rescue teams’ repeated and intensive searches of Sauvie Island.

The island is more than five miles from rural Skyline Elementary School, where Horman was reported missing June 4. But rescuers on horseback, on foot and in dive teams have repeatedly scoured the island beginning around June 10 and continuing this week — even after Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton called off other major search operations last Sunday.

WW has learned that federal, county and city law-enforcement officials say the reason for the search of Sauvie Island is that cell-phone records reveal Kyron’s step-mother, Terri Moulton Horman, may have been on the island the day he disappeared.

In the following weeks other media began to repeat this info:

While Terri Horman has said she was in certain locations, investigators have placed her elsewhere using bank card records and cell phone pings, according to sources.

Here's a screenshot of a mail showed by KPTV, from a friend of Terri's:

Still very focused on Sauvie Island and telling me that she was driving down highway 30 on the day Kyron disappeared, etc but she doesn't know why they're focusing on the island.

Now go back and read the passage from the Morris book. Basically what happened was this:

* The MCSO, struggling with properly interpreting cell phone data, think Terri's phone ping means she was on Sauvie Island a few days into the investigation.

* When questioned, Terri denies being on Sauvie Island. She was driving on Hwy 30, across from the island, but didn't cross the bridge.

* The police, already suspicious (perhaps due to step-mother syndrome or Desiree's accusations), have now caught her in a lie (they think). They start searching Sauvie Island and soon the info is leaked to the public.

* Later they get professional assistance that show they were wrong - the cell tower (which isn't even on the island) services the entire area, including Hwy 30 - meaning there was no contradiction between cell phone data and Terri's account.

* However, at this point, the investigators have sunk a lot of cost in the Terri option. They've got the gardnener, the truck sightings based on posters with Terri in them - so this one slips away...

It's very similar to the Meredith Kercher case like that. Early suspicion based on poor hunches and misinterpretations, after which LE are pressured into getting more evidence (which in the Kercher case included dodgy DNA testing) to support their original theory, which keeps it alive even after the original hunches/misinterpretations get cleared up.

I keep going back to two passages from the Rebecca Morris book, passages I think have implications that the writer didn't see. First this:

Immediately, it shows that the FBI weren't necessarily on board with the Terri-did-it POV. But more importantly, the bolded part goes to the core of the early finger-pointing towards Terri. On June 10th, almost a week after the abduction, the search took an unexplained leap to Sauvie Island, after having stayed in the vicinity of the school:

A week later, the blog Willamette Week revealed the reason why:

In the following weeks other media began to repeat this info:

Here's a screenshot of a mail showed by KPTV, from a friend of Terri's:

Now go back and read the passage from the Morris book. Basically what happened was this:

* The MCSO, struggling with properly interpreting cell phone data, think Terri's phone ping means she was on Sauvie Island a few days into the investigation.

* When questioned, Terri denies being on Sauvie Island. She was driving on Hwy 30, across from the island, but didn't cross the bridge.

* The police, already suspicious (perhaps due to step-mother syndrome or Desiree's accusations), have now caught her in a lie (they think). They start searching Sauvie Island and soon the info is leaked to the public.

* Later they get professional assistance that show they were wrong - the cell tower (which isn't even on the island) services the entire area, including Hwy 30 - meaning there was no contradiction between cell phone data and Terri's account.

* However, at this point, the investigators have sunk a lot of cost in the Terri option. They've got the gardnener, the truck sightings based on posters with Terri in them - so this one slips away...

It's very similar to the Meredith Kercher case like that. Early suspicion based on poor hunches and misinterpretations, after which LE are pressured into getting more evidence (which in the Kercher case included dodgy DNA testing) to support their original theory, which keeps it alive even after the original hunches/misinterpretations get cleared up.
I agree especially with the FBI profile. What information does the book give about the "white truck?" I'm especially interested in the timing of the different sightings of the truck both in the parking lot and on the access road. Could there have been TWO different white trucks at Skyline that morning? White trucks and white vans are both very common. Witnesses thought they saw a man in a white truck parked where? Could Terri have left and a second truck was assumed to be Kaine's?

The second passage is this:

Desiree returned to Portland for another grand jury appearance. She and Kaine were in a room reviewing the transcripts of their interviews with police dating back to June. Kaine got out his laptop and brought up a document. It was an email that investigators had shared with him but not with Desiree because they thought it would upset her. How right they were. Kaine told Desiree that he had always thought she should see it. It was between Terri and Lisa Munson, the wife of Desiree’s ex-husband, Gary. She was Quinn’s stepmother.

According to Desiree, the email contained a back-and-forth between the women about how much they disliked their stepsons. Terri wrote that Kyron was coming between her and Kaine. She mentioned the incident where she claimed to have found Kyron on top of Kayla (which Desiree thought was untrue). Terri told Lisa that she had lectured Kyron that he was too rough with Kayla and that “we don’t touch other people that way, but most importantly, boys don’t touch girls that way.” Lisa agreed that raising stepchildren was hard on a marriage.

The fabled Terri-hates-Kyron emails, which were only spoken of in abstract for years, were finally revealed - not the whole text, but what they were about. Basically, two women Desiree had little reason to like - the stepmothers to her two sons - were talking about the difficulty of raising stepsons. The bolded is the only quote Desiree gives, though. When she says "how much they disliked their stepsons" or "coming between her and Kaine", there are no quotes.

When she first talked about the mails, she was harsher:

Kyron’s biological mother, Desiree Young, said investigators shared e-mails with her that Terri sent friends. She said in them Terri talked about hurting Kyron. Desiree said she now believes Terri is capable of doing so.

“Extreme hatred for Kyron, and she talked about hurting him and things that you just don’t talk about with children,” she told KATU News Monday evening by phone. “I don’t understand how you can feel that way about a 7 year old.”

Young said it is now clear that Terri dislikes her and believes she transferred that to Kyron.

“I no longer had that little part of me that hoped she hadn’t done anything to Kyron,” Desiree said after she read the e-mails. “I realized that she is capable of hurting him. That was the hardest part about it.”

From Desiree and Kaine on Dr Phil, Kaine denies seeing the emails, contrary to Desiree's version.

Desiree also claims that she has read emails from Terri to her friends saying she hated Kyron. “She states very clearly that she shared her feelings with Kaine,” Desiree says.

But, Kaine is adamant he had no idea about Terri’s supposed feelings. “I haven’t seen any emails, so hearing that — that’s a little bit of a shock to me,” Kaine says.

Desiree confirms in the Morris book that they are the same emails:

Desiree said that Kaine should have known that Terri hated Kyron. Terri had said as much in her emails. “She states very clearly that she shared her feelings with Kaine,” Desiree said.

Kaine defended himself. “I haven’t seen any emails, so hearing that—that’s a little bit of a shock to me,” Kaine said. Desiree didn’t press the point—Kaine had seen the emails, and had even helped investigators gather them. It was Kaine who had shown them to Desiree.

The obvious interpretation of all this - to me - is that Desiree is reading a lot into this email exchange from two women she dislikes talking about her sons (and quite likely about her), giving it a spin that makes it unrecognisable to Kaine.

In other words, I don't think the emails ever said Terri hated Kyron and wanted to hurt him.

I agree especially with the FBI profile. What information does the book give about the "white truck?" I'm especially interested in the timing of the different sightings of the truck both in the parking lot and on the access road. Could there have been TWO different white trucks at Skyline that morning? White trucks and white vans are both very common. Witnesses thought they saw a man in a white truck parked where? Could Terri have left and a second truck was assumed to be Kaine's?

Closest I can find are these:

Terri had not parked in the school parking lot, where she said she had, but on a gravel road on the far-west side of the school where the elevation of the school building and grounds partly concealed the white truck.

[...]

Underhill said at least one witness told police they saw a second adult, on a phone, in the truck while Terri was in the school. Another had seen the truck moved. Later, detectives told Desiree that, despite tips, they didn’t think there was anyone else in Terri’s truck, at least when it was parked at the school. They thought the person sighted on the phone in the truck was Terri.

Not much in the way of details, certainly not timing.

But I agree. I think once Terri left, Mystery Man parked his white truck on the access road (perhaps after having initially parked in the lot, but I don't think that's necessary). He was the person seen in the truck, and in the school.

Closest I can find are these:

Not much in the way of details, certainly not timing.

But I agree. I think once Terri left, Mystery Man parked his white truck on the access road (perhaps after having initially parked in the lot, but I don't think that's necessary). He was the person seen in the truck, and in the school.
Adding to this, Terri claimed she last saw Kyron headed toward his classroom. She doesn't say she saw Kyron enter his classroom. I remember something about Kyron going down to see a specific science project (electrical?). I wonder if he went after Terri last saw him. If someone saw Terri turn away, then saw Kyron change direction, he would know Kyron was alone and vulnerable.

Adding to this, Terri claimed she last saw Kyron headed toward his classroom. She doesn't say she saw Kyron enter his classroom. I remember something about Kyron going down to see a specific science project (electrical?). I wonder if he went after Terri last saw him. If someone saw Terri turn away, then saw Kyron change direction, he would know Kyron was alone and vulnerable.
What I suspect is that the whole exhibit tour - that was supposed to take up the whole time from 8:45 to 10:00 - was rather chaotic and unorganized. Imagine dozens of groups of kids herded by non-teacher adults throughout the entire school. Perhaps Kyron's group left the classroom before he made it there, and he left to catch up. Perhaps when he made it there the groups had barely begun to organize, and he decided to take another round before getting back. Neither is all that distant from things I did at his age. That there is uncertainty about Kyron being seen after 8:45 is hardly strange - in all that chaos, could anyone be certain of the time they saw him and if it definitely was Kyron?

I still think the teenager in the gym (where Terri said she never went), Kyron's friend TP and the unknown witness that put Kyron at the south entrance at 9:00 are credible and paint an interesting picture.

What I suspect is that the whole exhibit tour - that was supposed to take up the whole time from 8:45 to 10:00 - was rather chaotic and unorganized. Imagine dozens of groups of kids herded by non-teacher adults throughout the entire school. Perhaps Kyron's group left the classroom before he made it there, and he left to catch up. Perhaps when he made it there the groups had barely begun to organize, and he decided to take another round before getting back. Neither is all that distant from things I did at his age. That there is uncertainty about Kyron being seen after 8:45 is hardly strange - in all that chaos, could anyone be certain of the time they saw him and if it definitely was Kyron?

I still think the teenager in the gym (where Terri said she never went), Kyron's friend TP and the unknown witness that put Kyron at the south entrance at 9:00 are credible and paint an interesting picture.
Yes, I've never understood how those 9:00 witnesses were dismissed apparently with no reason given.

Last edited:
What if the person that abducted Kyron wasn't an adult?
Would another child probably older than Kyron be noticed among all of the visitors?
A witness claimed to have seen a man in a white truck talking on the phone. What if he had an accomplice inside the school possibly a teenager previously abducted.

Questions I've asked but I've never seen answered on this thread:

Why was a description of the "man" who allegedly took Kyron from the school never put out?

Is there any other case where an innocent parent suspected of disappearing a child stopped talking and got an attorney?

If Terri knew Kyron better than anyone, didn't she think of something after the first three and a half weeks, that may have been helpful to LE?

If the school was guilty of being "sloppy" "disorganized" and "careless," why did not one parent at Kyron's school sue the school/district?

Questions I've asked but I've never seen answered on this thread:

Why was a description of the "man" who allegedly took Kyron from the school never put out?
Good question, because we do know the police were looking at least one unidentified person - yet never even gave out said person's gender. I'd place it among the many errors of this investigation; misjudging the balance between giving pertinent details to the public and keeping important details close to the chest.
Is there any other case where an innocent parent suspected of disappearing a child stopped talking and got an attorney?
If there isn't, there should be. There is already a stigma against suspects getting lawyers, perpetuated in true crime communities, that's rather worrying, and only serves to encourage poor law enforcement. It's saying the ends justify the means.
If Terri knew Kyron better than anyone, didn't she think of something after the first three and a half weeks, that may have been helpful to LE?
If she knew him better than anyone she likely gave them all pertinent information immediately. If LE was missing information, they could always contact her lawyer.
If the school was guilty of being "sloppy" "disorganized" and "careless," why did not one parent at Kyron's school sue the school/district?
Because the parents placed all the blame on Terri, to what I assume was the great relief of the school, which objectively did wrong here. Who else would have a case?

Good question, because we do know the police were looking at least one unidentified person - yet never even gave out said person's gender. I'd place it among the many errors of this investigation; misjudging the balance between giving pertinent details to the public and keeping important details close to the chest.

If there isn't, there should be. There is already a stigma against suspects getting lawyers, perpetuated in true crime communities, that's rather worrying, and only serves to encourage poor law enforcement. It's saying the ends justify the means.

If she knew him better than anyone she likely gave them all pertinent information immediately. If LE was missing information, they could always contact her lawyer.

Because the parents placed all the blame on Terri, to what I assume was the great relief of the school, which objectively did wrong here. Who else would have a case?
Or, there was no strange man that was unaccounted for, and the idea that there was a suspect zero is a distraction from the truth.

IMO, innocent parents don't stop talking because they want to help LE find their child. They weigh their own interests against the child's interests and decide to keep talking.

It's not unusual for parents to think of something weeks or months later that they think may be helpful to LE. An interaction, a person, a place associated with the child. LE wouldn't know this information was missing unless Terri told them.

I find it difficult/impossible to believe that every single parent at that school was so overwhelmingly swayed by what the parents said that they would put their children's safety and well being aside. I don't believe it.

Good point. As the man was purportedly seen by "witnesses", a description should have been available. However, he always remained an undescribed "unknown man". Who witnesses saw. But no approximation of height, weight, hair color, clothing description, etc., etc. was given.

Snipped quote: The fliers have been appearing around Kyron's stepmother's Roseburg neighborhood. They show age progression photos that say Kyron was last seen with an unknown man.
The information references a mysterious man who might be connected to Kyron's disappearance.

And, alternately, there is this:
Snipped quote: As to whether anyone had been ruled out in Kyron's disappearance, Staton responded, "A number of people have been ruled out; we are unable to discuss the specifics of these individuals."

Or, there was no strange man that was unaccounted for, and the idea that there was a suspect zero is a distraction from the truth.
Sure, but it doesn't change that the police was actively looking for a strange person - and didn't distribute a description of them.
IMO, innocent parents don't stop talking because they want to help LE find their child. They weigh their own interests against the child's interests and decide to keep talking.
And I think that it is wrong to encourage this false dichotomy. It's the kind of pressure that leads innocent people to prison. It's not their own interests versus the child's interests, it's their own versus LE's interests - which is far from always the same as the child's.
It's not unusual for parents to think of something weeks or months later that they think may be helpful to LE. An interaction, a person, a place associated with the child. LE wouldn't know this information was missing unless Terri told them.
And it's not unusual for them to not be able to think of something else, as well.
I find it difficult/impossible to believe that every single parent at that school was so overwhelmingly swayed by what the parents said that they would put their children's safety and well being aside. I don't believe it.
But it wasn't just the parents, was it? It was law enforcement. It was media. Essentially everyone ganged up on Terri and by implication, exonerated the school. At that point, what would another parent even sue over? Their kids are safe, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member