Kyron Horman story "over-reported"

I don't think "while we ignore Oregon’s other children and their desperate families" is referring to other missing children. I think it has a more general meaning and is referring to families in desperate circumstances such as poverty, or families that are dealing with meth addiction, etc., and the point they are trying to make is that $1 million has been spent searching for one missing child when perhaps that money should be being spent on programs to fix larger societal problems that are putting a larger number of children at risk.

You're right.

I totally misread that as other missing children.

Good point.

"Also, Nancy Grace is a predatory succubus whose popularity is an indictment of Western rot."

The million dollar figure is how much LE has spent so far, not the media. I think the 'freak-show family' comment was directed at Terri and all the drama surrounding her. So that's ok.

I am not sure it just applied to Terry. The reporter used "family" which imo includes all of Kyron's parents.

IMO

I am not sure it just applied to Terry. The reporter used "family" which imo includes all of Kyron's parents.

IMO

True. But IMO it was all the Terri drama that involved the others. I don't see where the media has given much thought to Kaine, Desiree and Tony otherwise.

Scamp, I do believe you turned around and saw the reason for the shadows. Thank you is not near enough for this hard look inside myself. <3

Aw...I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone here especially not you, I've always thought of everyone here dedicated and determined to hang in there. Even when most have lost interest, the story palls and the rest move on. Initially we may have paid more notice because of the frenzy but it isn't the reason WS will be here for the long haul.:angel:

I completely disagree with what WW has said. However, I have been thinking for sometime now that the way in which this story played out in the media worked to the disadvantage of finding Kyron. Part of what draws people to missing children is the fear that it could happen to a chid they know. This story has been portrayed as a made-for-tv movie, and LE doesn't help by adding its own cryptic remarks. When I talk to people around town about this story, it seems really low on their radar screen because they assume that Kyron had a crazy step-mother who did him in. There is no reason to look around for him, if you believe this. And there is less reason to fear this could happen to your own kid. The reaction I get from people when I ask them about Kyron, here in Portland, is "you mean they still haven't arrested the step-mother?" In other words, no one is looking around for him anymore.

I always found the articles that say, "Why doesn't X get as much attention as Y?" to be insulting. Think about it, let's say you're the parents of X. Your child is missing and can barely get local coverage while Y makes national news every night. Then you read an article which basically says that if your family was more successful and made more money, your child would be get as much attention as Y. If you had worked harder, maybe people would care more about your child. That Y is a more attractive kid than your child, that people can relate better to Y's family, and that because of where you live, people expect your child to go missing.

There are children whose names I see mentioned all the time in arguments about the disparity between coverages of cases yet I will never hear those names mentioned in an article just about their case. It's like the media can only bother to mention their names when they know they get a big debate and controversy going. "We'll name drop your child in our article about media attention for missing children but hell no, are we actually going to write an entire article about your child's case."

A different viewpoint. I'm not insulted when journalists point out the disparity between resources--of all types--allotted to various cases. I think we need more of that type of reporting.

Bottom line, yes, there are inequities in how various cases are handled. And, as a journalist who's used to dealing with criticism about "why are you covering that?" one thing I've learned is--what's being reported is a mirror of our society right then. If people are talking about something in the coffee shops, the beauty parlors, at home, then it follows that the story will be covered.

Rather than just a toss-off opinion, I'd actually like to see the WW get their teeth into the issues of inequality between cases.

Here's the full quote:

“We’ve spent a million dollars and countless reams of media attention on a missing child and his freak-show family while we ignore Oregon’s other children and their desperate families, because people would rather watch a soap opera about one very sad misfortune than think about systemic problems that have no easy solutions.”

This is information copy/pasted from a news article, not my opinion.

Thank you, BeanE for the whole quote.

This reporter appears to be a little short-sighted in insinuating that Kyron's case doesn't relate to any systemic problems that have no easy solutions--such as school safety, the tracking of known pedophiles, RSOs and especially SOs who don't register. I get the point about how less mysterious and dramatic cases seem not to receive as much attention ... but one of the most interesting, disturbing things about this case is how Kyron fell through a lot of cracks--all between arriving at school and around 9 a.m. A llot of safety nets that should be there for all kids were not there for Kyron.

A different viewpoint. I'm not insulted when journalists point out the disparity between resources--of all types--allotted to various cases. I think we need more of that type of reporting.

Bottom line, yes, there are inequities in how various cases are handled. And, as a journalist who's used to dealing with criticism about "why are you covering that?" one thing I've learned is--what's being reported is a mirror of our society right then. If people are talking about something in the coffee shops, the beauty parlors, at home, then it follows that the story will be covered.

Rather than just a toss-off opinion, I'd actually like to see the WW get their teeth into the issues of inequality between cases.

I think there are two fundamental views of journalism. One views MSM as a leader of sorts, picking and choosing which stories to report. The other view is that MSM is essentially a follower of public opinion and they follow up only on stories that get a lot of public response.

I believe the second view is more accurate. I see MSM as being rather akin to fishing for public attention via publishing a variety of stories and then using public response to choose which to follow up on.

I, too, would love to see some MSM outlet do investigative reporting on issues of inequality in the attention that various missing persons receive. But I also know that the truth is, various MSM have reported on such inequalities for years (going back as far as the late 60s, which is when I started reading the newspaper every single day).

And the response from the public? A gigantic yawn. So it becomes yet another unprofitable story... Next!

freak-show family?

holy mother-of-god I can't believe they published that

how dare this pompus-arrogant-lowlife-so called journalist!!!:furious::banghead:

First off the media reports on what they want to report on. How are we or the family to blame for them choosing to cover one story and not another?
Second How damn unprofessional for this wanna-be news paper to call the family of a missing child a freak family. That is below scum.
Third if this has become a soap opera it would be the fault of WW who chose to report every time Terri blinks and take the focus off Kyron... Isn't WW the same paper that practically ambushed Terri in the parking deck and wouldn't get out of her face?

I fault the journalist here but I also fault the editor and the whole damn paper for printing this story and allow this type of garbage to circulate when a 8 year old boy is missing and one of their local families is grieving.

The ONLY thing I half way agree with is pointing out the fact that not all missing people get the same coverage. However for those who are covered I am greatly appreciative about.

I hope this paper gets flamed by their customers about this.
Angery just doesn't even come close to explaining how I feel about this.

I feel no need to incite the public with comments like "freak family." There is something fundamentally wrong with a cruel heartless commentary about a family that is already in pain. The pen is a strong instrument of hurt" when you alone put this sort of opinion out there and say that all media felt the same way. Sorry I don't believe it. Prove it!

Who among us is perfect, has had a perfect marriage, has never done anything that isn't conventional? I've never met a Saint and don't claim to be one myself. Kyron deserved better than what has happened to him. Don't continue to victimize him or those that love him to make a point about your beliefs that the media or reader demand is lacking critical thinking. It is shameful.

Willamette didn't seem to have a problem breaking the news that was a sealed court order did they? They wanted the ratings and the readers. They had the choice to stop reporting on Kyron on any given day. But they continued with the worst of the soap opera drama and interviews of people who inserted themselves into this case.

They have the ability to report on every missing child and give that child a chance to be found. So what is the issue here? Are they saying they failed all of the other missing children? So fix yourselves or go find a news agency where you feel the proper balance of news is covered, but stop directing your poisonous pen toward a family in pain!

This isn't about Kryon at all. It is a cheap shot.......

thank you

How exactly is the media spending so much money reporting this case? Isn't that their job? To report the news? You gotta spend money to make money in that business.

I'll tell you what is over reported. Every time Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton goes to jail, to rehab, to court. Every time some politician gets in trouble for looking at *advertiser censored* on his computer or having an affair. News like that I can do without.

And yeah... the comment about the "freak family" was a bit too much!! How rude!!

BBM

Dare I say Tiger Woods? We have a teenager last seen on high school property in Toronto and there was an apparent sighting of her in another province but our Canadian National News lead that night with the latest developments in the Toger Woods drama for over 6 minutes! Disgusting! BTW, for anyone living under a rock for the past 10 months Tiger is now divorced but back on the golf course and this young woman is still missing without a trace!!

how dare this pompus-arrogant-lowlife-so called journalist!!!:furious::banghead:

First off the media reports on what they want to report on. How are we or the family to blame for them choosing to cover one story and not another?
Second How damn unprofessional for this wanna-be news paper to call the family of a missing child a freak family. That is below scum.
Third if this has become a soap opera it would be the fault of WW who chose to report every time Terri blinks and take the focus off Kyron... Isn't WW the same paper that practically ambushed Terri in the parking deck and wouldn't get out of her face?

I fault the journalist here but I also fault the editor and the whole damn paper for printing this story and allow this type of garbage to circulate when a 8 year old boy is missing and one of their local families is grieving.

The ONLY thing I half way agree with is pointing out the fact that not all missing people get the same coverage. However for those who are covered I am greatly appreciative about.

I hope this paper gets flamed by their customers about this.
Angery just doesn't even come close to explaining how I feel about this.

Just the facts (oh lordy a Joe Friday flashback!) The TH ambushes were by TV stations. The constant, daily coverage has been by TV stations and the Oregonian.

WW is a weekly. They've actually done less coverage, and haven't done the minute daily details.

In addition, they've won a Pulitzer Prize for investigating a story that no one else would touch--the child sexual abuse by a governor of Oregon, and the ensuing coverup. Including by a former MCSO sheriff.

Again, rather than a toss-off, I would have liked to have seen WW do an in-depth study of inequalities of cases.

question for locals:

is this Willamette Week Online an actual newspaper and not just an online blog?

in other words, is the online version the same as the print version?

I noticed they also printed the word '' in the paragraph about Al Gore and well, no legitimate published newspaper I've seen prints the words 'freak-show family' and '' in their stories

just wondering ...

ETA: I just read that there is a print version but I'm still curious as to if it's the same

question for locals:

is this Willamette Week Online an actual newspaper and not just an online blog?

in other words, is the online version the same as the print version?

I noticed they also printed the word '' in the paragraph about Al Gore and well, no legitimate published newspaper I've seen prints the words 'freak-show family' and '' in their stories

just wondering ...

Actually, a real newspaper. That's won the Pulitzer Prize.

I've noticed that online stuff tends to be looser than actual print. Don't like it, but hey, I'm old school

As for "freak family" I've seen the Anthonys, for example, called equal or worse. I'm not defending it, I'm just pointing that out.

I wonder what led them to the conclusion "freak show family" as opposed to "evil stepmother." There's a collective judgment, which is curious, IMHO.

I think there are two fundamental views of journalism. One views MSM as a leader of sorts, picking and choosing which stories to report. The other view is that MSM is essentially a follower of public opinion and they follow up only on stories that get a lot of public response.

I believe the second view is more accurate. I see MSM as being rather akin to fishing for public attention via publishing a variety of stories and then using public response to choose which to follow up on.

I, too, would love to see some MSM outlet do investigative reporting on issues of inequality in the attention that various missing persons receive. But I also know that the truth is, various MSM have reported on such inequalities for years (going back as far as the late 60s, which is when I started reading the newspaper every single day).

And the response from the public? A gigantic yawn. So it becomes yet another unprofitable story... Next!

bbm

People tend to talk and talk about how they want "quality" news coverage. But when they get it, it's usually...yawn. What sells? Tabloids and tabloid style stuff.

And that's too darned bad.

I once spent weeks looking at financial, business, and demographic data to compile an in-depth look at how a nearby military base affected the area's economy, jobs, and future. Very comprehensive. Couldn't compete with the "spicier" stuff, except with a very select--and small--audience. But it needed doing, so my newspaper funded getting it done.

I wonder what led them to the conclusion "freak show family" as opposed to "evil stepmother." There's a collective judgment, which is curious, IMHO.

Good point, Cypress.

After reading the Portland media and watching videos for months now, I've noticed that the WW is *not* a follower. Not a groupie, either. They chart their own course and hew against the grain.

Which I think is a good thing. Frankly, the other media coverage has been pretty much the same thing, with the same "evil stepmother" party line. You can't tell one from the other. Constant tabloid-style stuff.

The WW, in contrast, has stayed far above the madding crowd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back