LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
From local/locals for what its worth
My daugher who works at Oschner, not in the ER, and her cohorts, primarily native New Orleanians and then some, were discussing the info in the report.
--The die-hard, knows everything Saints fan perked up her ears, instantly when DD reported the part about the alleged attacker wearing No. 24. "No. 24?" later she said, " if I had been in the ER, I would have told the sheriff's deputy instantly to check that story. "
--- Not to stereotype but in the spirit of plausibility: The gold teeth...unlikely for a non-African American in Orleans but quite possbile for someone from southern St. Bernard Parish.....these folks are from there and in their line of work...see lots. Not real likely that a person from that area would be in the area around Oschner on Jefferson..so could see why the NO PD was brought in as well as Jefferson SO. If the story was true more likely the gas station was over on the east side. A person who is mugging in the middle of the day probably doesn't have his own transportation or money for the bus.
---The mugged at a gas station in the middle of the day....happens every day in Orleans area.
--The consensus...Oschner on Jefferson because it is so large and busy there was at least an outside chance the whole "treatment" might have gone without much investigation.
--These folks love hearing about discussion on WebSleuths.

Just popping back in for a sec before I leave:

No cameras at WB.

Very unlikely there was a witness at WB, for reasons detailed in my posts from the last hour or so.

So what does that leave? Either physical proof (DNA, etc. on bike, which really would only prove he touched the bike at some point, not that he was at WB) or pings/GPS from a phone at the time they believe the bike was placed there. Can anyone think of anything else to show LE he was there?

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150335

"I've never seen her with a box cutter," Wilson said.In fact, Wilson doesn't recall ever seeing Shunick carrying any sort of sharp weapon, although he did not know the contents of her bag that night, he said.

I'm glad BW finally cleared that up! The first time I heard about the box cutter RUMOR was when it surfaced last week. It was not mentioned as part of the contents of her purse to searchers, or at least the one I was on.

BBM.. As I read this article, I recalled that at the N.O. hospital BSL indicated "that he was "lost" and his GPS was not working' (per police report).

Things we do not know about GPS facts in this case:
Was there GPS on either BSL or MS's phone active?
Was there a GPS like Tom Tom in BSL's truck?
Was there Onstar active on the truck?

Does this lead us to think he had GPS and it was removed or tossed at the time MS was taken? Does it indicate he had it but saying it was not working was just part of the "lost story"? Was removing the GPS an afterthought with him thinking that it tracked his movements? Was it removed just prior to torching the original DWT so as not to provide any information?
Will the GPS ultimately resurface in evidence down the road in this case?
Time will tell... hopefully.

1. From what I recall from a much earlier discussion about phones, Mickey's phone was a cheap/older design that cannot be pinged when turned off. As I recently shopped for a cheap phone and specifically wanted one with no GPS, I learned that some of the cheaper phones still have no GPS. I think this described Mickey's phone.

2. OnStar may end up convicting BSL. You cannot do what he allegedly did nowadays in an OnStar-equipped vehicle and get away with it. OnStar tracks and saves the vehicle's locations, even if you don't subscribe. Millions of Americans are being tracked by OnStar without their knowledge. In 2011, OnStar acknowledged that they were saving all GPS data from OnStar-equipped vehicles, and do provide the info to LE upon subpoena.

Lesson - commit your crime in a Ford or Dodge truck (maybe not the best marketing angle).

I am not the poster who was asked for links, but catching up on the thread I see several requests for links to the information on BSL's family.

We had a poster on this thread who said he was a family member. I am not sure he's been verified, but he did state that he did make a request.

Here is a link to his posts.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5778596

HTH
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Off to sleep way past my bedtime start classes again tomorrow morning catch u all soon until tomorrow have a happy and safe day:)

OnStar may end up convicting BSL. You cannot do what he allegedly did nowadays in an OnStar-equipped vehicle and get away with it. OnStar tracks and saves the vehicle's locations, even if you don't subscribe. Millions of Americans are being tracked by OnStar without their knowledge. In 2011, OnStar acknowledged that they were saving all GPS data from OnStar-equipped vehicles, and do provide the info to LE upon subpoena.

Lesson - commit your crime in a Ford or Dodge truck (maybe not the best marketing angle).
<Respectfully snipped and bolded>

:floorlaugh:

I think that he and his lawyers are betting on and hoping for whatever you call it when there is not enough evidence....IMO at this point he is following the advice of his state appointed lawyer. Which IMO makes the state appointed lawyer just as cold blooded as he is moo

First of all any defendant in a any case DOES NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE LEGAL ADVICE THAT HIS ATTORNEY GIVES HIM. It is wise that he does so because after all the defense attorney is the expert and the one with the degree. Yes, there are terrible lawyers out there, not worth their salt. But, the attorney is working in his clients BEST interest. The attorney's main job is to advise his client, give him facts but in the long run the attorney does what the CLIENT WANTS. If the defendant does not see eye to eye with his council he can fire him and ask for a new attorney to represent him.

Thanks. I followed the link and I don't understand. Sorry.

What exactly are you linking? :waitasec:

I seem to recall that his Dad was in hospital during all this. That was my point.

OK guys, going to do some work outside now.

Can we please stick to the facts? Muchas Gracias.

:moo:
She linked to the information you requested a link for.

Thanks. I followed the link and I don't understand. Sorry.

What exactly are you linking? :waitasec:

I seem to recall that his Dad was in hospital during all this. That was my point.

OK guys, going to do some work outside now.

Can we please stick to the facts? Muchas Gracias.

:moo:
I was linking to Someguy's post stating his adoptive father was in the hospital. Mr. Lavergne is not BSL's adoptive father. He is BSL's stepdad.

I realize this is confusing, so I'm trying to help you stick to the facts :)

Just popping back in for a sec before I leave:

No cameras at WB.

Very unlikely there was a witness at WB, for reasons detailed in my posts from the last hour or so.

The part about camera or no camera is still open for me. Not trying to be mysterious or anythyhing, as I have posted before, I was told by a knowledgeable, credible source and fully believed that a camera (s) were hidden there during DTL business. I was told because I was going there to take some photos. Subsequently, I understood the cameras were going to be left per Pam Kinnamore's mother's insistence but that may not have happened.
But to date, I still suspect they could have something on camera...but clearly not from the DOTD cameras.

NOW I'm out the door.

Regarding cameras not being at WB - in addition to the fact I specifically looked for cameras and did not find any, I was going off a quote from this May 29th article:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Murder-Victims-Mother-Speaks-About-Missing-ULL-Student-155491135.html

"Whiskey Bay is like taking a scab off of a wound and of course finding out that a 22-year-old girl is missing and they found her bike just, it makes me realize over and over what this family has ahead of them and the pain and the sorrow," said Marino.

Marino's daughter was among the south Louisiana women killed by Derrick Todd Lee who now faces the death penalty.

"Nothing worse could happen to this family," said Marino. "What's so sad is they want to have hope. But the truth is the longer she's missing, the less hope there is."

Marino says had police kept their promise to her a decade ago, investigators in the Shunick case could now have valuable clues.

"When Pam was found there, the Baton Rouge police promised me that they would put a camera at Whiskey Bay. Some fellow called me who did cameras and offered to do it and the task force told me they'd get back with him. They never did. We need to light up that area."

Thanks, link doesn't work.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8139629&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35[/ame]

I'm glad the box-cutter rumor has been laid to rest.

Now, I wonder how BSL wound up getting those cuts?:waitasec:

1. From what I recall from a much earlier discussion about phones, Mickey's phone was a cheap/older design that cannot be pinged when turned off. As I recently shopped for a cheap phone and specifically wanted one with no GPS, I learned that some of the cheaper phones still have no GPS. I think this described Mickey's phone.

2. OnStar may end up convicting BSL. You cannot do what he allegedly did nowadays in an OnStar-equipped vehicle and get away with it. OnStar tracks and saves the vehicle's locations, even if you don't subscribe. Millions of Americans are being tracked by OnStar without their knowledge. In 2011, OnStar acknowledged that they were saving all GPS data from OnStar-equipped vehicles, and do provide the info to LE upon subpoena.

Thanks Chicken fried. Good information. Quickie question on phones for my education... with a phone, is pinging a tower = having GPS? Or is the GPS a feature that is in addition to the pinging properties? (anyone can respond).

Our Onstar is not activated - interesting to learn it is still tracking. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks