LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

As I remember, we were close to the car - probably 4 or 5 yards away - but I do remember the the back passenger side door was open. Since we were at the front of the car, we could not see inside. I thought maybe the owner was airing out the car. I read that someone on this blog thought perhaps it was a "random" crime. That is so funny because if you were at Frenier, you meant to be there. It was (and still is) a pretty remote place.

Kimbraud - It sounds like you were there just shortly after everything happened. Do you remember what time of day it was?

I remember that I had to be back home at either 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Frenier was about 30 minutes from my home. We did not see anyone in the car, but then, we were not looking for anyone to be in the car. I think that we passed the two hunters (mentioned in the article) when we were going to the beach.

I remember that I had to be back home at either 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Frenier was about 30 minutes from my home. We did not see anyone in the car, but then, we were not looking for anyone to be in the car. I think that we passed the two hunters (mentioned in the article) when we were going to the beach.

Did the hunters mention seeing you? If not, then I have to wonder if you actually saw the killer(s). Either that or someone else who didn't want to get involved for some reason or just someone else like you who didn't know anyone was in the car or anything else.

You know Standried, I always wondered why the men in the truck did not mention that they had passed "a car full of teenagers". Maybe it just didn't register with them at the time because the murder had not been discovered at that time - but why would they not remember passing a car as they were leaving?

You know Standried, I always wondered why the men in the truck did not mention that they had passed "a car full of teenagers". Maybe it just didn't register with them at the time because the murder had not been discovered at that time - but why would they not remember passing a car as they were leaving?

I agree. I find it very strange that they did not mention seeing another car!

kimbraud - Did you ever hear any gossip/talk regarding this case? Surely, having been there (at the scene) you must have had your antennae up at all times. Did anything ever strike you as a a possibility for consideration???

kimbraud - Did you ever hear any gossip/talk regarding this case? Surely, having been there (at the scene) you must have had your antennae up at all times. Did anything ever strike you as a a possibility for consideration???

I guess because of my age (16 or so), the worrying and wondering was left to the adults. I left for college, got married, moved away, had children and then...Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on the murder and my husband (who was from the same small town as I and knew the story) and kids watched every time it came on. I never felt that I had any more information than the average person - it was really a mystery and I think the lack of adequate investigation and ineffective law enforcement kept it
a mystery all these years. There is now a restaurant built at Frenier - (not exactly the same spot, but close). I have gone there several times and every time is spooky!

I am so intrigued by this case. I live in Louisiana, just north of Baton Rouge. I often look at the missing/unsolved cases in this area since I live very close to two of Derrick Todd Lee's murder scenes. One of the victims is still missing, Randi Mebruer, and the other was Connie Warner. I formerly, and my parents currently live in a house that from the front door you can see the homes/scenes of both victims. I went to high school with Connie's daughter and later became a police officer in the city where I live and these murders occurred.

I've come across Audrey's case several times and always wondered what really happened. Crime and murder in the 50s was just so different. Tonight is the first time I have ever found this site. I have been reading like a mad woman! I would love to know more. I may even have to do a little research, myself.

Welcome, meauxtins! So glad you found us and decided to join. I'm a lifelong NOLA resident, and agree with you. There are many elements to this case that make it quite intriguing. Hope one day we'll find some answers.

:welcome5:

ETA: Thought I'd add that there is a thread for DTL in the Serial Killer forum.

[h=1]LA - DERRICK TODD LEE - Baton Rouge SK[/h]

Hello, I've been interested in this case since the original Unsolved Mysteries episode. I live in NOLA and would like to know more about the murder scene from klmbraud. Can you tell me where the car was located on Frenier Landing? By which restaurant? And that spot is located on Peavine Lane not Frenier Road, correct? Was there only one road at the time? Were there trees nearby where the killer could had hidden?

Welcome, meauxtins! So glad you found us and decided to join. I'm a lifelong NOLA resident, and agree with you. There are many elements to this case that make it quite intriguing. Hope one day we'll find some answers.

:welcome5:

ETA: Thought I'd add that there is a thread for DTL in the Serial Killer forum.

LA - DERRICK TODD LEE - Baton Rouge SK

Hello, I've been interested in this case since the original Unsolved Mysteries episode. I live in NOLA and would like to know more about the murder scene from klmbraud. Can you tell me where the car was located on Frenier Landing? By which restaurant? And that spot is located on Peavine Lane not Frenier Road, correct? Was there only one road at the time? Were there trees nearby where the killer could had hidden?
At the time of the murder, there of course was not a restaurant. Frenier road was a desolate one lane gravel road to the lake. When you reached the lake, there was a clearing - cypress trees close around - swamp. There was a small clearing at the end of the road just large enough to turn a car around. The murder car was perpendicular to Frenier road and a little off to the right - near the water. Peavine road and the restaurant were only mentioned because it reminded me of Frenier road. I do not feel that a killer was hiding behind trees because the trees were in a swamp. I think Audrey Moate was long gone when we were there - whether taken by someone or maybe running into the swamp to escape - I do think, however that Mr. Hotard was in the car when we were there. I can't prove any of that - it is just my
feeling.

Hey guys, this sort of reminds me of this case that happened in Toronto in 1953. I doubt they're related, mainly due to the distance that separates these two cities, but they do have some similarities and they happened within years of each other, so it's worth a shot to at least look at.

"Circumstances of Disappearance
On Sunday, December 6th, 1953 Jimmy Wilson, 19, picked up his date Marion McDowell, 17, from her home at about 7:00 in the evening. immy's drove his 1942 five-passenger Plymouth Coupe to within a few miles of Scarborough.

They pulled off onto a quiet road. At about 8:00 the passenger side door of Jimmy's vehicle was opened. They were confronted by a person who barked "This is a stick-up!".

Jimmy was told to hand over his wallet. The bandit took out $10.00 before ordering Jimmy to turn around. Jimmy was struck on the back of his head twice with the butt-end of the suspect's handgun. The wound caused by the blow later required 17 stitches to close.

Jimmy woke in and out of consciousness. One image he remembered was being in the back of the coupe with Marion's body sprawled across him. The next image was his Coupe being parked in a lot three car lengths behind another car. Jimmy saw someone close the trunk of the other vehicle before the person entered it and drove off.

Jimmy crawled over into his Coupe's driver's seat and he immediately drove to the Scarborough Police station to make his report.

The yard were Marion's body was moved from one automobile to another was a fenced-in vacant lot located a short distance from the lovers' lane. Found in the lot was Jimmy's wallet and bar of old-fashioned "Sunlight" brand laundry soap. The bar was wrapped in it's outer container but it's inner wrapping had been removed. The lot's gate had it's locks broken and it's chain cut. The chain & locks had been put in place only hours earlier.

Jimmy Wilson's 1942 Plymouth contained Marion's head scarf. Marion's scarf it was believed had been worn folded. The scarf contained cuts in it's fabric as though she might have sustained a heavy head blow. Two different types of blood were found in the car, A-type and O-type.

Jimmy was considered a suspect but was cleared after he passed a lie detector test in Buffalo, New York.

The suspect in this crime was described as roughly 5'8" with a narrow face. He wore a dark balaclava and brandished what appeared to be a Walther .38 or a Luger. "

I found this case here:
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=1408.0

Indeed ... Have had sunset dinner there many times

I guess because of my age (16 or so), the worrying and wondering was left to the adults. I left for college, got married, moved away, had children and then...Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on the murder and my husband (who was from the same small town as I and knew the story) and kids watched every time it came on. I never felt that I had any more information than the average person - it was really a mystery and I think the lack of adequate investigation and ineffective law enforcement kept it
a mystery all these years. There is now a restaurant built at Frenier - (not exactly the same spot, but close). I have gone there several times and every time is spooky!

Hmm. . .I really wonder if the truck the carload of kids passed had something to do with the crime?

Fortbold - Welcome to WS!

I looked into Henry Joseph a while back and do remember being quite convinced that there had to be some connection to him and the crime (even if he didn't actually commit it…) I don't believe that I had found the Acosta connection! Very viable and very interesting! Please keep us posted!

OMG - I just went in to do a quick check and I haven't found a connection to Acosta but there is a VERY DIRECT link to the Vicknair family (Hotard's wife). I am completely gobsmacked! He was married to the daughter of a Vicknair!

Great find! I've been doing some research this evening on the names mentioned in newspaper articles contemporary to the case and I made another interesting connection. In 1959 they searched a local dump for remains, based on the confession of a man who says he buried her there. (This is the man who was found in possession of Audrey's purse). THIS man's family and the Vicknairs are very closely tied historically geographically…too intricately to explain here. I worry a bit that this man could have been falsely implicated or "drew the short straw," but I have no basis for this other than what I know about the attitudes and prejudices of that era. All of my sources are from paid news services and ancestry.com, so I don't think I can link, but if you have access to newspaper archives about the case and start combining names in a search engine, you'll easily find the connections. PM me if you want specifics.

I do want say that just because people in this case are connected, it doesn't make them guilty of anything. Mr. Hotard picked a secluded spot that is "halfway" between Baton Rouge and New Orleans (Gretna), and he quite possibly knew of this particular spot through family (in-laws). Just saying…

The sleuthing continues...

Very, very interesting what you both have discovered!! I had a feeling the wife, her family or someone HAD to have known something was going on with him and Audrey! They were having an affair for 5-6 years! They met at the same spot at the same time every Saturday. Audrey lived with them at one point, correct?

How did his wife feel about him adopting a child with another woman? She HAD to have known. People had to have been asking about the baby she came back with. Audreys family all knew that he was helping with adopting the baby. So what did they tell people when they asked? That Audrey just adopted the baby from St Louis?

Which leads me to these 'hunters'. They didn't hear anything or see any one run into the woods? They didn't hear gun shots? They didnt see that car of teenage kids or anyone else around? How peculiar and strange that this man that is out hunting is related to the murdered man in the cars wife. Who just so happened to be having an affair. The same car he passed twice that day. And again the next day! (Sorry if this rambling makes no sense. It made sense in my head!)

Also peculiar that Hotards wife was in fear for her life if Audrey was in fact alive.
Hmmm...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge
Back