LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge tosses out murder charges for parents whose daughter died on rotting couch; DA seeks to re-indict

Sheila and Clay Fletcher's charges for second-degree murder were tossed out by Judge Kathryn Jones due to an issue related to the language in the original charging documents. District Attorney Sam D'Aquilla tells WBRZ his office plans to present the case before a grand jury once again on June 19 to seek new indictments.
Does it mean a technical error or what?
"Issue related to the language"
What does it even mean? :rolleyes:

Judge tosses out murder charges for parents whose daughter died on rotting couch; DA seeks to re-indict

Sheila and Clay Fletcher's charges for second-degree murder were tossed out by Judge Kathryn Jones due to an issue related to the language in the original charging documents. District Attorney Sam D'Aquilla tells WBRZ his office plans to present the case before a grand jury once again on June 19 to seek new indictments.
I’m confident the Grand Jury will come through again with a true bill. The DA seems intent on bringing these nasty people to justice and for good reason.

The couple was expected to stand trial for the charges later this month.

But at a hearing on May 30, District Judge Kathryn Jones with the 20th JDC, granted a motion to quash the indictment. That action came after questions regarding the wording of an amendment on the indictment by defense attorneys, according to officials with the East Feliciana Parish Clerk of Court’s Office.

D’Aquilla told WAFB the defense brought up three reasons to quash the indictment. The first was for no specific intent, the judge denied it. The second was not signed by the foreperson, the judge denied that one. And the third was the wording on the indictment, which the judge granted.

Unbelievable. These two absolutely can not be allowed to get away with what they've done. I feel awful for the new grand jury having to go through all that awful evidence and I feel bad that the first one apparently did it for nothing. It had to be traumatizing.

Well. well. well. Hate the delay but I believe the outcome could be worse for them. They may get charged with first degree murder! Both first and second degree offer "Cruelty to Juveniles" as an option and I believe she would have been a juvenile when this started? Anyway, I am with MsMarple and feel like they will come back with charges. But now we wait. Again, this strategy is to wear us out and hope we lose interest and forget. We wil not forget! #JusticeforLacey

Well. well. well. Hate the delay but I believe the outcome could be worse for them. They may get charged with first degree murder! Both first and second degree offer "Cruelty to Juveniles" as an option and I believe she would have been a juvenile when this started? Anyway, I am with MsMarple and feel like they will come back with charges. But now we wait. Again, this strategy is to wear us out and hope we lose interest and forget. We wil not forget! #JusticeforLacey

I know I will never forget, nor will many of us here at WS-

D’Aquilla told WAFB the defense brought up three reasons to quash the indictment. The first was for no specific intent, the judge denied that reason. The second was not signed by the foreperson, the judge denied that one. And the third was the wording on the indictment, which the judge granted.

@PrairieWind , can you help here? Does this happen often?? How can a DA word something wrong?

@PrairieWind , can you help here? Does this happen often?? How can a DA word something wrong?
It does happen. I can't tell from this article what exactly the problem is in this case. But there are times that charging documents just incorrectly state elements of a crime or don't include correct facts, etc. It is unfortunate but it happens (prosecutors are very busy). But the court really has to dismiss it if it isn't sufficient. Fortunately here it is early enough that the charges are dismissed and can then just be refiled correctly.

It does happen. I can't tell from this article what exactly the problem is in this case. But there are times that charging documents just incorrectly state elements of a crime or don't include correct facts, etc. It is unfortunate but it happens (prosecutors are very busy). But the court really has to dismiss it if it isn't sufficient. Fortunately here it is early enough that the charges are dismissed and can then just be refiled correctly.

Thanks SO much for weighing in! We really appreciate our professionals here on WS and you are one of the BEST!

So happy to see this! I think the officials that were at the scene and discovered the awful way Lacey died were forever changed. That's not something anyone with a heart (or stomach) is ever going to forget. I don't think we have to worry about any failure to pursue justice for this one.

As expected, indicted by the grand jury again for second degree murder. Now they will be arrested again and have to have bond hearing. No dates that I have seen yet on when that bond hearing will be. Justice for Lacey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase